Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Halloween Horror Nights 2017

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, so I've never done Halloween Horror Nights. Wifey and I are taking my mom and niece who are flying down from Alaska this weekend. We have Front of the Line passes and were curious if there's a strategy we should put in place or if the FotL passes will allow us a leisurely time through the massive crowds and mazes? Would like to formulate a game plan if you all feel it's necessary. Thanks in advance :-)

Comment

Originally posted by moviemike View Post
      Hey all, so I've never done Halloween Horror Nights. Wifey and I are taking my mom and niece who are flying down from Alaska this weekend. We have Front of the Line passes and were curious if there's a strategy we should put in place or if the FotL passes will allow us a leisurely time through the massive crowds and mazes? Would like to formulate a game plan if you all feel it's necessary. Thanks in advance :-)
      Hope you ended up having fun! Although I've never done it, FOTL looks to be the way to go, especially if you're not local.

Comment

Had a good time, but Universal seems to be at their best every other year. That said, I really enjoyed The Shining, Ash Vs Evil Dead and Jigsaw. The Titans Of Terror, while fun, felt like a rehash of last year's mazes.

To me, their biggest blunder was The Horrors Of Blumhouse, which tried to combine The Purge, Happy Death Day and Sinister into one maze, which is kind of like trying to combine pizza, ice cream and brussel sprouts: They just don't work together. Personally, I think they should have ditched the Insidious maze, which they had a few years ago already, and instead used the space for a solo Sinister maze. There's a lot to work with from the two Sinister films and what was done, while good, could have been a lot more but it got filed down to make room for The Purge, which has been done plenty of times, and Happy Death Day, which is easily Blumhouse's biggest disappointment to date. Then used the Blumhouse area for something else. I would have liked an It maze, but Warner Brothers had that one this year.

The big surprise was Roanoke, which was a lot more enjoyable than any episode of the TV series. The Titans Of Terror Tram was fun and a lot more interesting than Eli Roth's lackluster clown thing last year.

Their other huge blunder was loosing two scare zones, which rendered the experience a tad narrow. I think they killed them to make more room for their Blumhouse thing, but like I said, that wasn't very good.

The Shining was the maze I enjoyed the most. Went on that three times.

Overall, I had fun, but I think there was a lot of room for improvement.

Comment

I've gone the past two years and upgraded to Front of the Line because I hate waiting in line, especially for the rides.

Here is my take on this year's mazes:

American Horror Story: Roanoke - I wanted to like this one, but it seemed to go on too long. I preferred last year's with the Hotel especially. Too many scenes looked too similar for my tastes. The use of smells here wasn't too bad.

Ash Vs. The Evil Dead - Fun, good details across the entire maze, especially surprising with the animated long neck Henrietta. A few scares here and there, but cool to see Ash attacking deadites in person. Oh and seeing the Necronomicon in person put a smile on my face.

Saw - my least favorite. Not many scares. Just watching people get tortured. The smell was probably my least favorite part... dead body/ poop smell actually made me mad. Best parts were the woman with her face ripped open sitting on a chair, jumping at us. And then the guy with the "fish tank" over his head... cool effect. My least favorite part other than the smell was the strobe-light buzz-saw section... didn't work for me. Wasn't really scary. More annoying than anything.

Titans of Terror - I'm a huge fan of these franchises so I may be biased, but I loved what they did here to connect the three. Plus the best scare for me came from Freddy's baby buggy. But my favorite effect was from last year where they had Freddy on one side of the hallway, and Jason on the other and they appeared due to the use of scrims and stage lighting. But I did appreciate all three this year, even Leather Face ripping the guy's face off.

The Shining - I liked what they did visually in the snow as well as the use of cold. But the effects just weren't impactful... the blood flood was underwhelming. And the vanishing twins was... lackluster. It was a hot day when I went so the snow was refreshing, but that's the best they have? The sets seemed a little cheap, or the lighting was incorrectly set up... but it didn't feel like we were actually entering the world of the Shining.

Blumhouse - this one actually surprised me. I don't know these franchises that well, and they had some good visuals, including the Purge. I'm not even a fan of the movies, but the Purge scenes were done very well. But the scares and visuals weren't enough to get me to watch the new movies of Sinister nor Happy Death Day.

Insidious - this was actually not that great, and I loved the first movie. The music stood out and had a positive effect on the experience, but nothing was really memorable.

Terror Tram - they need to fix this. It was extremely boring last year, and is still boring this year. They repeated too many of the scares/scenes from the Titans of Terror including the face cutting/ ripping. At least it's not the boring clowns of last year... I can't stand Eli Roth's ideas so it just wasn't fun or scary. The best part of both years was seeing the Psycho House up close. There were two scenes that made me say "coooool"... one was the guy getting bent backwards in his gurney, and the other was Jason smashing a guy's head in a vice grip, squirting out "blood." But other than that, they need to change this somehow. If they do a zombie theme, they need to have random actors walking around while you're riding to the sets... get some scares while you're riding around.

The scare zone in the backlot was awesome... Urban Hell I think? They had some solid scare actors there. I don't scare easily, so when I do I always give props to the person who got me... the one who got my snuck in front of my group without making a sound and had a distraction in one of the decorations... and so even his scare didn't involve him doing a jump scare... he just crept up in front of us while staring. Gory and jump scary... so much fun!

I'll probably go again next year, but they need to step their game up even more. Tbh, if it wasn't for the front of the line for Harry Potter and the other rides, I wouldn't go.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X