Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neon Cruise of Los Angeles - Special Opportunity for First 10 MiceChatters to Respond

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neon Cruise of Los Angeles - Special Opportunity for First 10 MiceChatters to Respond

We have a very special opportunity for the first 10 folks who take advantage of it. Last year, we visited the Neon Art museum in Downtown LA. They do a special bus tour of the city called the "Neon Cruise" which highlights some of LA's historic neon signs and interesting history along the way.

We enjoyed it so much that we are signing up to go again this Saturday (September 3rd) around 7:30 pm.

The fantastic folks at the Museum of Neon Art are giving us 10 discounted tickets (normally $55 for just $30). To claim your spot, just call Kim at the museum and ask if there are any MiceChat discounted tickets left for the Neon Cruise this Saturday. The number is 213-489-9918.

Wondering what the cruise is all about? Here's our review from last year.

Museum of Neon Art:

This one was a total and wonderful surprise. A few months ago, we met authors Christopher Merritt and Eric Lynxwiler at the Knott's Preserved event. When we later read that
    Lynxwiler was hosting nighttime tours of historical LA buildings and old neon signs, we just had to join the fun. And what a fantastic experience!

One of the lesser known museums of Downtown L.A. is the Museum of Neon Art. This museum features some truly unique examples of the art of neon and signage. Everything from the 40's to modern design is celebrated here as tubes of glass come alive with color and vibrancy to create a dazzling interactive experience.

At the heart of the museum is curator Eric
    Lynxwiler. You may remember him from his book Knott's Preserved. Well, turns out that the Museum of Neon Art, or MONA for short, offers evening tours around the Los Angeles area two Saturdays a month to see some of the best examples of Neon in use in the city today.

Chinatown's green gate

The tour is conducted by
    Lynxwiler himself and begins at dusk from the front steps of the museum. After a lovely wine reception inside the Museum of Neon Art, guests board the upper level of a double-decker bus for the tour of lights. The route zig zags throughout the streets of L.A. while Lynxwiler points out all of the historically significant, audacious, and little known facts about the city of Angels, peppering it with witty repartee.

Lynxwiler in front of MONA

Lynxwiler on the tour

Hop Louie is a fabulously kitschy pit stop along the way in Chinatown

You've never really seen Chinatown until you have seen it at night.

On the tour, you will see City Hall, Chinatown, skid row, Little Tokyo, Wilshire Blvd, Hollywood Blvd, West Hollywood, Los Angeles's Broadway theatre district, The Cal trans building and a million other places it seems. There are plenty of chances to eat, drink and take a breather along the way too as there are two intermission pit stops.

Canter's Deli is one of the tour stops. A delicious one.

If you think you know L.A. you may be very surprised by the torrent of history and stories that come at you during the trip. Funny, insightful and with a rich respect for the City of Los Angeles, the Neon Cruise, presented by the Museum of Neon Art, is a cruise worth taking. Experience LA in a whole new light.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: Neon Cruise of Los Angeles - Special Opportunity for First 10 MiceChatters to Res

Sorry.. Didn't mean to post

Comment

Re: Neon Cruise of Los Angeles - Special Opportunity for First 10 MiceChatters to Res

Looks neat.. wish I lived closer...

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

Comment

Ooo ooo oooo!!! I'm so in!

Comment

Sounds fun.

Comment

I love doing tours and especially in LA and its at night time. So, so tempted!! Totally wished I lived in LA though sounds like a lot of fun!
            sigpic

Comment

I'm not posting to get in ... but just want to say this looks awesome and I'd so be in if I didn't have to get up at Dark:30 Sunday morning for the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon.

Comment

This is so cool, I hope you guys offer this next year. Have fun guys.

Comment

Sorry to break the bad news but the Neon Art Museum's downtown location is now closed.

They are relocating to a larger facility over in Glendale.
                  Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
                  http://www.ericedunn.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Larry View Post
                    Sorry to break the bad news but the Neon Art Museum's downtown location is now closed.

They are relocating to a larger facility over in Glendale.
                    They are still doing the Neon Cruise. We already booked, paid and everything. The departure for the cruise is currently in Chinatown, which is great since I've been wanting to have dinner there for the longest time.
                    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                      They are still doing the Neon Cruise. We already booked, paid and everything. The departure for the cruise is currently in Chinatown, which is great since I've been wanting to have dinner there for the longest time.
                      I highly recommend Yang Chow's and be sure to order the Slippery Shrimp. It's their specialty.
                      I would get a reservation just in case, sometimes the place does get crowded.
                      Now I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. YUM!

And wave to us when you pass by the San Fernando building at 4th and Main!
                      Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
                      http://www.ericedunn.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Larry View Post
                        I highly recommend Yang Chow's and be sure to order the Slippery Shrimp. It's their specialty.
                        I would get a reservation just in case, sometimes the place does get crowded.
                        Now I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. YUM!

And wave to us when you pass by the San Fernando building at 4th and Main!
                        Thank you for the tip. Sounds great!

Find us on Facebook:

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                          Thank you for the tip. Sounds great!
                          I can definitely attest to the slippery shrimp being awesome. I've eaten there a few times and on my last trip down there matter of fact during gumball rally.
                          sigpic

Comment

Woohoo! I will be there! Totally worth the extra 700 miles of driving this weekend to take the cruise and see old (and new) micechat friends.

Comment

What a fun night. We saw more in a few hours than we would normally see in several days of self-guidedness! Eric presents the perfect combination of historical, humorous (ever-so-slightly blue), and fun facts. The experience of seeing L.A. from the treetops allows for a whole new perspective on the city. Even the two rest stops are great. The first, a bar which has a small take-out store at the entrance (just sayin'), and the second, Cantor's deli, where we were somehow compelled to buy about four pounds of baked goods. Such fun! The cheers, waves, hoots, and hollers of folks on the sidewalks were unexpected, but added to our festive evening, too! Thanks to Eric and to the Museum of Neon Art. You must take the time to take this tour when in L.A.!

Shout out to Crazy Larry who suggested dinner at Yang Chow's before the tour!. Amazing food and service. Far too much to eat, although the two plates of slippery shrimp we ordered were nearly licked clean. This joint will be part of our routine whenever we're in the area!
                              "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                              raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X