Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Gumball Rally - Advice from Veterans & Questions from Newbies

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gumball Rally - Advice from Veterans & Questions from Newbies

I thought it would be fun to try something new this year.

We have quite a few new teams who have been posting in the Gumball Rally threads. I think it would be fun to have the veteran teams share their advice on how to survive the Gumball Rally and for our new teams to ask questions that have yet to be addressed.

Please note, only so much information can be shared before the event. The staff cannot reveal any secret information that would give a team an unfair advantage over another team.

I am a good source for Gumball Rally history. How many events have we had, have we ever held the Gumball Rally at WDW, are there any teams that have played in every Rally, are there other events produced by MiceChat throughout the year. I can also track down information you might need for your team.

There are veteran teams who have been doing a great job of welcoming the new teams as they have been posting too! I hope they will continue to offer their expertise as well.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Re: Gumball Rally - Advice from Veterans & Questions from Newbies

This is such a great idea, mamabot! I definitely would've loved to have something like this when my team did their first Gumball Rally. The concept of the Gumball Rally seems pretty easy and simple, but you won't realize what you signed up for until you're already a few hours into the Rally lol. I'll throw a few advice in here:

1) WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES! I cannot stress this enough! We're going to be WALKING around the park for 12 hours (well I guess it's 10 hours this year) and your feet will hurt! I remember in my first Gumball Rally, my feet started hurting after 3 hours in. It felt like I was walking on needles for the rest of the Rally D:

2) BE FLEXIBLE WITH YOUR PLAN! Delays and break downs will happen throughout the day. Be flexible with your ride plan!

3) STAY HYDRATED! Again, lots of WALKING around in the Park and you're bound to lose a lot of liquid from your body. We're all here to have fun and have a great time, and the last thing we want to hear is somebody falling ill during the Rally. I hear we're going to be in for a hot day at the Disneyland Resort this Saturday so definitely bring water and stay cool everyone!

4) BRING SNACKS! If you're going for the win, you definitely don't want to waste time waiting in line for food

5) BRING A WATCH! Remember, most electronics are not allowed! You definitely want to keep track of your time somehow!

6) HAVE FUN! Even though this is a competition, remember to have fun! You're at the Disneyland Resort, silly! The only person allowed to be grumpy is my brother because he, uh, "volunteered" to be my teammate

See you all real soon!
    My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

I agree with KiMcHeE!!

Comfortable shoes are a must! In fact, although I try to keep what I have to carry around in my backpack to a minimum (the first year, Katie and I swear we carried around a small child all day because our backpacks were WAY too full of crap we didn't need! LOL), changes of shoes are ALWAYS in there. I think it refreshes your feet to just have a change in venue so-to-speak

A word on snacks............you won't need as much as you think (see reference to small child carried on back above...hehehe). We get breakfast before the rally, so that's taken care of. Several snack-sized bags of your favorite healthy snacks that will be filling and give you energy are plenty. If you munch on them here and there throughout the day, you will feel plenty full. Unless, of course, you feel the need to take advantage of the many wonderful food choices Disneyland has to offer, then, by all means, please take as long a break as you would like, and enjoy to your heart's content. We won't mind!

The biggest thing my sister and I noticed during our first rally is that we were so focused in getting from ride to ride, spotting the answer, talking strategy, etc, that we had to look at each other occasionally and say, hey, we're in Disneyland..........LET'S ENJOY THIS AND HAVE FUN!

Oh, and since we aren't allowed to use cell phones, bring a digital camera so that you can have some memories of the day. You'll be very thankful you have them! It seems to go by in such a crazy rush that its nice to have something to look back at. That's one of the things I want to improve this year for our team.

We are so excited and can't wait to see everyone! Good luck to all the teams!!!
      Kim

Gumball Rally teams:
      2017 - Fear The Beard
      2016 - E.V.I.L. - Every Villain Is Lemons (32nd place!!!)
      2015 - Bambo (Best Team Name!!!)
      2014 - We Are The Ones Who Rally (23rd place!!!)
      2013 - The Jawawockeez (30th place!!!)

2012 - Why Is The Rum Gone?

Comment

I was hoping a thread like this would be started... it'll be my first rally and I'm very excited, but I was worried veterans wouldn't want to share their tips, lol

My only worry is the clues... I read someone's post that included the questions from last year and some of them seem like it'd be easy to miss the answer (I believe Matterhorn had one about what props were after the Yeti or something like that). Is it easy as long as your paying attention?
        2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
        *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
        *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

Comment

Some of them can be kind of tricky, that's for sure! Just pay attention very closely once you're on the ride, and look at the question while you're waiting in line to come up with a game plan on how you will spot the answer. This is one area where it almost helps to have a 4 person team. That means you have 4 chances of seeing what you're supposed to see. Hope that helps!
          Kim

Gumball Rally teams:
          2017 - Fear The Beard
          2016 - E.V.I.L. - Every Villain Is Lemons (32nd place!!!)
          2015 - Bambo (Best Team Name!!!)
          2014 - We Are The Ones Who Rally (23rd place!!!)
          2013 - The Jawawockeez (30th place!!!)

2012 - Why Is The Rum Gone?

Comment

The other advice I know to give is Don't Listen to the Answers the Cast Members Try to Give at an Attraction. The CMs have and will mess with teams to have a little fun. Remember, the point is to ride the attraction. The question is the only way we know how to verify you actually rode the attraction.
            Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
            I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Originally posted by the702senior09 View Post
              I was hoping a thread like this would be started... it'll be my first rally and I'm very excited, but I was worried veterans wouldn't want to share their tips, lol

My only worry is the clues... I read someone's post that included the questions from last year and some of them seem like it'd be easy to miss the answer (I believe Matterhorn had one about what props were after the Yeti or something like that). Is it easy as long as your paying attention?
              USUALLY it's easy. But there have been a couple of rides where my team and I were scratching our heads. There aren't any trick questions, if that's what you are worried about. The questions are only difficult if you don't ride the attraction, which is how the staff know you rode the attraction or not. The questions usually describe what you're looking for as well. It's a game where everyone can play from all level of Disneyland experience. Don't worry about it too much! You'll see after a few ride throughs what the questions are like. Remember, the questions are hard to answer if you don't ride the attraction but (usually) easy to answer if you do.
              My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Hi-
                Where were you able to find the post that talked about the clues?
                Its my first rally too and I'm still really confused on how the point system works :/

Also do we get like a spreadsheet of which rides are how many points before the rally?
                Last edited by scappa; 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scappa View Post
                  Hi-
                  Its my first rally too and I'm still really confused on how the point system works :/

Also do we get like a spreadsheet of which rides are how many points before the rally?
                  Right before the Gumball Rally starts, the staff will distribute a pamphlet of all the questions and attractions we have to ride for this year's Gumball Rally. Each ride and question is assigned points, with usually the E-Ticket rides having a bigger point rating (for example Space Mountain - 3 points) than an A-Ticket attraction (for example Disney Gallery - 1 point). The team with the most points at the end of the day win!

An example of a question I can think of at the top of my head is Peter Pan. One of the years, I believe the question was, "At the end of the ride when Captain Hook is being eaten by the Crocodile, is Hook's hat on his head or floating above his head?" The questions are really easy to answer, but very hard to answer if you don't ride the attraction.

I will also mention at the breakfast, the staff will have a meeting with the captains (and your other team members will be able to listen in over the PA) and go over all the rules and answer any questions you might have. I hope this clears it up a bit! Honestly, don't sweat the questions too much! All this worrying will take the fun out of the Gumball Rally! Remember, it's supposed to be a fun day! Win or lose, what matters is you had fun!
                  My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scappa View Post
                    Hi-

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html

This guy has the best trip report I've found, it really helped a lot with what to expect. (And he has a trip report on the Disneyland Dream Suite on his blog which is not to be missed!)

Yay for fellow first-timers! haha
                    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
                    *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
                    *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

Comment

If you look in the sticky for the gumba rally these is a link to the Indiana Janes video of the last Gumball rally they did. Or you can search them on YouTube: ponder the mini haha - they have done it for 2 years now. Last year was our first year and their video of the 2012 rally kinda helped put the rally into perspective of what it will actually be like. And the 2012 rally was classic as well

Comment

Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
                        Right before the Gumball Rally starts, the staff will distribute a pamphlet of all the questions and attractions we have to ride for this year's Gumball Rally. Each ride and question is assigned points, with usually the E-Ticket rides having a bigger point rating (for example Space Mountain - 3 points) than an A-Ticket attraction (for example Disney Gallery - 1 point). The team with the most points at the end of the day win!

An example of a question I can think of at the top of my head is Peter Pan. One of the years, I believe the question was, "At the end of the ride when Captain Hook is being eaten by the Crocodile, is Hook's hat on his head or floating above his head?" The questions are really easy to answer, but very hard to answer if you don't ride the attraction.

I will also mention at the breakfast, the staff will have a meeting with the captains (and your other team members will be able to listen in over the PA) and go over all the rules and answer any questions you might have. I hope this clears it up a bit! Honestly, don't sweat the questions too much! All this worrying will take the fun out of the Gumball Rally! Remember, it's supposed to be a fun day! Win or lose, what matters is you had fun!
                        Thank you so much!
                        This really helped- I am so much more excited now that I know that it is a scavenger hunt as well!
                        I would have no idea how to plan the day with out knowing what is going to be on the list!

Comment

Originally posted by the702senior09 View Post

I remember thinking after the challenging Thunder Mountain lantern question from two years ago how it would have been best if we had both selected a side to look at--you look count lanterns on the left, I'll count lanterns on the right, and then add together the total. While waiting in line, you might want to do some planning ahead about how you are going to decide on the answer. So many times my teammate and I will have a different answer (counted differently) so we usually go with the larger number.

As a team, we've been plagued with wrong answers on rides we rode, so I no longer have an expectation of getting the score we should have earned. I'm just focusing on beating the previous year's score and improving as a team, because we don't know how to validate our answers any better than what we are already doing.

Last year I printed a spreadsheet and wrote down the order and the score of each ride to keep an ongoing tally, which was so much easier than constantly recounting the booklet, and it is nice for future years to have a list of the rides you rode. We definitely will be using last year's tally as a guide for this year!

As for food, we found that we are not hungry at all during the day. The first year, we bought Subway sandwiches, but when we tried to eat them, we were so hot and adrenaline-filled we could barely choke them down. We just fill up on our breakfast and eat after we turn in the booklet! Candied nuts are a great snack.

I usually use my cell phone for the time, so I have a cheap "Gumball Rally" watch that I bought just for this day. It sits in a drawer the rest of the year. You'll want to know what time it is, I check the time about 500 times during this day!
                          Team Captain
                          No Time for Snack Bar
                          Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Cheesy View Post
                            I remember thinking after the challenging Thunder Mountain lantern question from two years ago how it would have been best if we had both selected a side to look at--you look count lanterns on the left, I'll count lanterns on the right, and then add together the total. While waiting in line, you might want to do some planning ahead about how you are going to decide on the answer. So many times my teammate and I will have a different answer (counted differently) so we usually go with the larger number.

As a team, we've been plagued with wrong answers on rides we rode, so I no longer have an expectation of getting the score we should have earned. I'm just focusing on beating the previous year's score and improving as a team, because we don't know how to validate our answers any better than what we are already doing.

Last year I printed a spreadsheet and wrote down the order and the score of each ride to keep an ongoing tally, which was so much easier than constantly recounting the booklet, and it is nice for future years to have a list of the rides you rode. We definitely will be using last year's tally as a guide for this year!

As for food, we found that we are not hungry at all during the day. The first year, we bought Subway sandwiches, but when we tried to eat them, we were so hot and adrenaline-filled we could barely choke them down. We just fill up on our breakfast and eat after we turn in the booklet! Candied nuts are a great snack.

I usually use my cell phone for the time, so I have a cheap "Gumball Rally" watch that I bought just for this day. It sits in a drawer the rest of the year. You'll want to know what time it is, I check the time about 500 times during this day!
                            I second the strategy of planning how to tackle the question while in line. Some of these question can be a bit tricky, especially if you aren't super familiar with the rides. Now with that said the questions are written to be able to be answered by anybody. Here are some questions from the 2012 to give you a better idea!

Tom Sawyer's Island:
                            1. When did the unknown hostile die?
                            2. Find Will Turner's Blacksmith shop. The blue and yellow sign outside his back door states that he makes swords, chains and________

Captain EO:
                            Does Captain EO ever take his jacket all the way off?

Splash Mountain:
                            Just after the small, second drop, there is a hitchhiking gator. What color is his shirt?

Hope that helps!

Comment

We went half way through the rally last year before we did this, we added up all the points possible per land and then as you THINK you are done with a land(all the rides you can or care to go on) you can see how many points you did get vs possible. We thought we knocked out all the good stuff in fantasyland BUT really we left a lot on the table there last year.

Also- if you get tired and hungry save the train (if it's on the rally) for that time. It's a great time to rest, grab a Starbucks(or bring one) and eat your snacks while answering those questions.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X