Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Gumball Rally Traditions

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gumball Rally Traditions

As the unofficial Gumball Rally Historian, I am always interested in knowing why people decide to participate each year, why they continue to come back, what types of traditions they've developed before the Rally, and if participating in the Gumball Rally has changed how each participant views the small details in the attractions.

Personally, I cannot imagine how my life would be without Gumball Rally. I have formed and strengthened so many friendships as a result. One of my closest friends, Tinkermonkey, and I met because of the Gumball Rally. My kids, who are now teenagers have existed in life longer with Gumball Rally being a part of our family than without it. (My kids were 7 and 5 when we held the first Gumball Rally in 2006.)

Never in a million years would I ever have imagined how meaningful the event would be for not only our participants, but for all the volunteers as well. Every single person who works on the Gumball Rally does so on a volunteer basis, yours truly included.

Here are some of my traditions I have developed over the years.
    • I never ride any attractions the day of the Rally. The only attraction I can remember riding was Pinocchio during the first Rally. I was behind PizzaMouseChips and his team in line. They ended up taking third place that year, if I remember correctly.
    • If I am in the park working on the Gumball Rally, I listen to the soundtrack from Epcot's Illuminations on my iPod.
    • Spreadsheets rule my world. They come in all shapes and sizes.
    • My kids have only been to two Gumball Rally's: 2006 and 2011. During the 2011 Rally, my son was a volunteer and my daughter was on a team. It was the first year we didn't allow cell phones/mobile devices. Yes, even my 10 year old daughter had to follow that rule!
    • Sharpies. The day of the Rally, I always make my notes in a hot pink sharpie.
    • The morning of the Rally, in anticipation of the day's events, I start bouncing like Tigger.
    • I wear custom Gumball Rally Converse at registration and at the Awards Party.
    • To honor our 5th Gumball Rally, I got a Gumball Machine tattoo on the back of my neck. There are Hidden Mickeys and everything! (See avatar picture)

What types of traditions have you and your team developed over the years?
    Last edited by mamabot; 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM. Reason: I almsot forgot about my tattoo!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Re: Gumball Rally Traditions

Well, for us this is only our 4th Rally, so we haven't developed as many traditions.

:ap:On the drive we have to listen to the Main St. Electrical Parade soundtrack (OK, this is a tradition EVERY time we drive to Disneyland)

Forget to bring a clipboard. Every.single.year

:sleep: For the week prior we're talking and dreaming gumballs!

Bring dark glasses so we don't get blinded by our own shirts.

) Practice smiling and laughing for weeks in advance.

Not a tradition:
    :bang: Ride the Matterhorn! Now, you may think this to be odd, especially given our team name. But three years ago the Matterhorn was down for refurb and new bobsleds, and two years ago it just didn't fit into our plans for some reason. We DID ride it last year, but because we split into two teams we didn't rally as
    Team It Doesn't Matterhorn.
    So this year, you can be sure that the Matterhorn will be near the top of our priorities! Unless, of course, it is not included ...
    Last edited by lctom1; 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM.
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

Comment

Originally posted by lctom1 View Post
      Well, for us this is only our 4th Rally, so we haven't developed as many traditions.

:ap:On the drive we have to listen to the Main St. Electrical Parade soundtrack (OK, this is a tradition EVERY time we drive to Disneyland)

Forget to bring a clipboard. Every.single.year

:sleep: For the week prior we're talking and dreaming gumballs!

Bring dark glasses so we don't get blinded by our own shirts.

) Practice smiling and laughing for weeks in advance.
      There is another thing you do!
      You forgot to mention the rhymes!
      It just wouldn't be the same,
      If you didn't say it every time!
      My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

Oh my gosh.......this almost brought tears to my eyes! I think we may have to steal this tradition and listen to this in the morning as we are getting ready at the hotel! I love this idea so much!!!
        Kim

Gumball Rally teams:
        2017 - Fear The Beard
        2016 - E.V.I.L. - Every Villain Is Lemons (32nd place!!!)
        2015 - Bambo (Best Team Name!!!)
        2014 - We Are The Ones Who Rally (23rd place!!!)
        2013 - The Jawawockeez (30th place!!!)

2012 - Why Is The Rum Gone?

Comment

Team No Time for Snack Bar has a great tradition: McDonalds Chicken McNugget binge after turning in the booklet. After an entire day of denying ourselves delicious Disney treats, we order 40 nuggets, two large fries, and we eat in complete exhausted silence, slumped over in the booth looking half dead. Too bad there isn't a competitive eating aspect of the competition.

We also listen to Disney related tracks on the drive over--love to blast "Tragic Kingdom" by No Doubt and the Haunted Mansion ride soundtrack.
          Team Captain
          No Time for Snack Bar
          Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
            There is another thing you do!
            You forgot to mention the rhymes!
            It just wouldn't be the same,
            If you didn't say it every time!
            Yes we do, how could I forget,
            Thanks for remembering to list it,
            So here's one more - don't be upset,
            But I just couldn't resist it!
            Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

Comment

So this year, you can be sure that the Matterhorn will be near the top of our priorities! Unless, of course, it is not included ...
              Nah. We'll ride the Matterhorn even if it's not included this year, just on principle.
              proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X