This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Clothing...

I was at the park yesterday... and I saw a couple offensive shirts in the park. Disneyland could have done a heck of a better job telling these guys that the shirts they were wearing were not Kosher for a family type environment.

I'll put the shirt quotes in spoiler tags so people won't have to read them... The first one isn't too bad but the second WAS

Spoiler
    The first one Was "If you're tired and worn out, I'll finish you off" and the Second was "May I recommend the Sausage?" With an arrow pointing straight down.

Now I don't have kids, But If I did I would probably be a little more upset about it.

These shirts don't say anything overtly offensive but they shouldn't have been allowed in the park IMHO. Hopefully I won't see anything like it today.
    Last edited by Junthor; 10-04-2009, 08:07 AM.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Re: Offensive Clothing...

I would've mentioned it to a CM (at least)

Spoiler
    or I would have gone up to the guy with the "sausage" shirt and asked him if he had anything besides breakfast links

Comment

Originally posted by santadog View Post
      i would've mentioned it to a cm (at least)

Spoiler
      or i would have gone up to the guy with the "sausage" shirt and asked him if he had anything besides breakfast links

hahaha
      All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

what color were these 2 shirts?

Comment

I bet they were red! I do so love Gay Days.
          Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes red.

Comment

Originally posted by Junthor View Post
              Yes red.
              I thought so...

Comment

I dunno'... I'm a parent of a 10 year old girl, but I wouldn't really take any serious offense at either of those shirts, because they rely on innuendo, and they lack swear words or offensive images.

That's also why Disney would have a hard time keeping people, who are wearing such clothing, out of the park. Basically, if Disney keeps out people who wear clothing hinting at naughty ideas or messages, it would be tantamount to censorship and would be a seriously slippery slope. What would be next, keeping people out who wear shirts with political or religious messages? What about keeping out anybody wearing certain colors that are associated with certain groups? I'm sure you get the picture.

Personally, I wish that Disney were able to keep out people wearing barely enough clothes to be legal, or people wearing their clothes in a manner that they live little to the imagination. I especially dislike seeing young teenagers dressed so that more of their underwear is outside of their pants, than is inside of their pants. (On more than one occasion, I've seen girls that couldn't have been older than 13, at the movies without adult supervision, at 11:00 PM, and half of them were wearing G-string underwear that stuck up several inches out of their pants. I just wanted to shake their parents and scream at them about caring so little.) Of course, Disney would run into the same problem I mentioned above, in a lot of such cases, so they're kind of between a rock and a hard place.
                Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM. Reason: The grammar police, they live inside of my head...
                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

What does the color of the shirts have do to with the topic?
                  "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                    What does the color of the shirts have do to with the topic?
                    This weekend is Gay Days and Red Shirts are worn by LGBT members who are there for gay days and also by their straight supporters for the Gay Days event. Red is the official color of Gay Days.

As for my opinion on the shirts... the posted above who mentioned its a fine line... Honestly we all know what those shirts were hinting at, however as long as it doesnt have swearing on it or isnt too over the top let it be... its not personally killing anyone.

I mean, Abercrombie and Fitch has some pretty over the top shirts when it comes to innuendo and whether or not whoever was wearing those shirts is gay or not, those same phrases on the shirts could apply to anyone of any orientation. Its basically controversy and a conversation piece, its worn to get people talking and its worn to make a statement, a very bold and worded fashion statement about how you can take a play on words and give it a whole new meaning... I am sure the whole point of both shirts is to be a fashion statement and whomever was wearing them was probably looking to have people give him attention whether it was negative or good because its a pure fact that some people in my community [im part of the gay community] are attention starved and do and wear wild things to get attention and get noticed!

Yesterday in Phoenix we had the Rainbows Festival out here and I could not believe how many people were walking around all starved for attention by trying to create meaningless drama! And I did see my share of shirts with similar phrases and those people who were wearing them were very flashy, very much attention starved, and were doing whatever they can to be noticed and have everyone look at them... I should know this because I still have some shirts with wild phrases and used to be one of them... I grew up and it was a shock going to the festival and watching how I used to act... but I am pretty sure whomever wore those shirts was just attention starved and looking to create some controversy by wearing something with a little edge. Its a common occurence
                    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

Wow! The irony! Currently, the big ad at the upper, right-hand corner of the main page links to a page for buying tee-shirts, some of which with content that would definitely be unacceptable for wearing to family-oriented locations.
                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

This weekend is Gay Days and Red Shirts are worn by LGBT members who are there for gay days and also by their straight supporters for the Gay Days event. Red is the official color of Gay Days.
                        Yeah, I get that. What I was wondering is if the point trying to be made was that because they were possible attendees of the Gay Days that they decided to wear shirts like that to DL.
                        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

I was there for the half marathon weekend. The guys in front of me had a shirt on that said F the world. This is anarchy. Yes, the F word was fully spelled out. I guess I should have came back and complained about the clothes the staight people were wearing that weekend. Because he was holding hands with a girl.

Feel free to call out the shirt, but it is not a issue of the color of the shirt. It was the shirts. Take a look around every weekend and you will see the same thing. Of course it is not as exciting when we can make a secondary issue out of it.

I honestly respect the opinion about the shirt, and agree to an extent based on the kid factor at the park. Just please don't try to make it an issue that it isn't. It is an everyday issue at the park. Not just this weekend.
                          Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Comment

Originally posted by renthead09 View Post
                            I was there for the half marathon weekend. The guys in front of me had a shirt on that said F the world. This is anarchy. Yes, the F word was fully spelled out. I guess I should have came back and complained about the clothes the staight people were wearing that weekend. Because he was holding hands with a girl.

Feel free to call out the shirt, but it is not a issue of the color of the shirt. It was the shirts. Take a look around every weekend and you will see the same thing. Of course it is not as exciting when we can make a secondary issue out of it.

I honestly respect the opinion about the shirt, and agree to an extent based on the kid factor at the park. Just please don't try to make it an issue that it isn't. It is an everyday issue at the park. Not just this weekend.
                            Exactly... anyone could be wearing any type of shirt and someone could deem it offensive... really its all about perception and what people believe... I have seen some wild stuff worn by people at a Basketball game, the movie theater, or even Disneyland and other theme parks... its really an everyday occurrence... In fact I had a friend who wore a shirt that said "Im huge in Japan" that he got from Hot Topic and he wore it to Disneyland with us one time... now obviously someone could relate that to being offensive for the pure phrase on the shirt but then again he also loved anime, was fascinated by japanese culture, and took a different meaning to the shirt and so he bought it and wore it out for the "cool factor"... but then again its all based on perception... Just because those shirts were red, it should not be turned into another issue because it purely isnt!
                            Add me... I dont bite LOL!
                            http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
                            http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

Comment

I understand where you're coming from Junthor. While it may not be wildly inappropriate with images or actual cuss words, it is offensive to people that understand what the shirts mean. If I were you and I saw those t shirts, I'd be offended too. Those kind of shirts don't belong at Disneyland, mainly that second shirt. I don't care if it's Gay Days, wearing those shirts regardless at DL, isn't a good idea.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Comment

Originally posted by renthead09 View Post
                                I

I don't think I need to remind all of you about the rules of this site, which is a privately owned site and therefore we make the rules to be followed, but I'm going to before this goes down the very wrong path.

Hate speech (or any form of racism, sexism, or homophobia) is not permitted anywhere on MiceChat, and will be cause for harsh reprimand, not excluding a permanent ban from the site. Members are encouraged to use their negative voting and report post features whenever they see such behaviors on the site.
                                DO NOT make this an issue pointing to any one type of people, or group of people. If you want to discuss the clothing discuss the clothes, not who was wearing them or what color they are because just like renthead09 said.... it is NOT only red shirts or people who are gay that have worn inappropriate shirts not only to Disneyland, but in the general population also.

Violations of our rules will have consequences.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                  it is NOT only red shirts or people who are gay that have worn inappropriate shirts not only to Disneyland, but in the general population also.
                                  And on that note I thought I would toss in a Jungle story. It doesn't relate to shirts so much as sexually explicit tattoos.

This was a few years back, middle of summer, guy walks through the JC Boathouse wearing a tank top. Usually it wouldn't be a big deal, it's easily 90 out its not even noon. I'm a dockhand at the time so I don't really have a position. Then I noticed his arms, or more specifically his tattoos. I'll stop short and say they were explicit. Before I could say anything he had already stepped in a boat and that boat was being dispatched. I note the boat name and notify my Lead. Generally we call Security but he wanted to speak to the individual first. Somehow I end up as Unload, across from an old friend. The boat comes back and out comes everyone, including a strange group of 5 or 6 men wearing flannel shirts. Again... 90 outside... those guys were sweating. One of the group steps up to the guy in the tank top and asks if he can speak with him privately. They step to one side and he offers to buy the guy a shirt. Our Lead's getting nervous at this point and starts to grab the phone for Security. The tank top guy goes off about freedom of expression. As he's doing this the other guy is slowly unbuttoning the cuffs of his flannel shirt. In a quick motion he had both sleeves up to his biceps showing fully tattooed sleeves. "Hell's Angels, even we have enough decency to cover up. Now how about I get you a shirt". Tank top guy went pale, and they walked over to the Bazaar.

I had a chance to talk to a couple of the other guys. This was their sergeant and he made certain that their tattoos be covered while in Disneyland. He felt it was a family environment, and their slight discomfort (again it was hot) would be a small price to pay in exchange for keeping the family atmosphere.

I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of individuals from a lot of cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds. This is another example of breaking a long held stereotype. It took a Hells Angel saying something for the guy to realize Disneyland was not the place to display his tattoos.
                                  "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Great story techskip.

Maybe I'm out of it, but I don't even get the innuendo on the first t-shirt. The second tee is really poor taste (no pun intended) in any setting. Some people just need to get some class.

Comment

Back in June I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said " Milk. Got Pot?"
                                      But that F word was the full word, no little astericks (sp?) or nothing. Disneyland is a family place, and has NO room for foul language or sexual innuendos.

Comment

I know shortly someone will post memories of individuals dressing up to go to Disneyland, as people often did when they took an airplane or went out to a movie. There will also be stories of Disney security asking people to cover up offensive clothes, or not allowing in individuals with long hair. Have standards really sank to a level where no one cares when someone in the park sports a shirt with the F word? Where are the CM's? where's security? where is common sense and decency?
                                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X