This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping the Shark!

What aspect of Disneyland has "jumped the shark" in your opinion?

If you aren't familiar with the term "jumping the shark", let me explain. The term comes from a certain AWFUL episode of "Happy Days" where Fonzie, while out waterskiing, goes off a jump while a shark lurked in the water below. It was supposed to be very suspenseful, but instead spelled utter doom for the TV series. That episode, was viewed as so lame and contrived, that the show quickly lost viewership and was cancelled shortly after. Today, when a TV show airs a bad episode that dooms it to cancellation, it's called "jumping the shark".

SO, again, I ask, What part (area, attraction, concept, show, etc.) of Disneyland (and DCA) has "jumped the shark"?

Re: Jumping the Shark!

1. Fairies. they haven't done anything differently recently, but I thnk it's over.
    2. Tomorrowland '98 concept (first day).
    3. Small World, when Disney characters were included.
    4. Fantasmic! after my second viewing. I just think something could be changed each year. Yes, use it as a marketing tool for the latest release! Yes, I want to see a house float away via balloons during Fantasmic! I don't care if it's unpossible!
    5. Parades, after Lion King Celebration.
    6. All the screen-based attractions in multi-sensorial rooms: HISTA, ITTBAB, and Soarin'. I have no reason to experience these if there won't be any changes, which as a screen-based attraction should be a lot easier to do than a tear-down/rebuild.

Comment

And don't forget Tarzan's Abysmal Treehouse, removal of quality theater type shows in favor of princess tart-ups and meet and greets, a totally empty Aladdin's when everyone wants a Tahitian Terrace, not replacing Honey I Shrunk the Audience to Zero, placing the Astro Orbitor out on the Hub, and the removal of the People Mover.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Adding the movie Characters to POTC
        Holiday overlay of Haunted Mansion (even though i like it)
        Adding disney Characters to IASW
        Getting rid of the Electric Light Parade (the first time)
        Removing the Peoplemover
        Re-theming Submarine Voyage to Finding Nemo.
        Creating and building DCA.

BTW, just because something "jumps the shark" no longer means it is good. Plenty of things have "jumped the shark" and were still pretty good.

Besides i blame the demise of "Happy Days" on the subtraction of Ron Howard and the addition of Ted McGinley.
        "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

When they put Walt's cold body in the ground. What an amazing thought when a man can have an idea and he just has it built. A lot of great things have happened since his death but a little of that pixie dust got trapped in his coffin and it's a little less magical.

Comment

It's worth adding that Happy Days was at or near the top of the ratings in 1977 when they aired the shark episode, and remained #1 or #2 almost every week for a couple of seasons after that. So if you mean "when was Disney among the best of the best", I'd have to start with Opening Day in 1955, and continue all the way forward to the 2009 holiday season.
            Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
            The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
              When they put Walt's cold body in the ground. What an amazing thought when a man can have an idea and he just has it built. A lot of great things have happened since his death but a little of that pixie dust got trapped in his coffin and it's a little less magical.
              Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's still a nice thought! Good on ya!

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
              It's worth adding that Happy Days was at or near the top of the ratings in 1977 when they aired the shark episode, and remained #1 or #2 almost every week for a couple of seasons after that. So if you mean "when was Disney among the best of the best", I'd have to start with Opening Day in 1955, and continue all the way forward to the 2009 holiday season.
              NOTED! BUT, I am looking for things that you feel are a "failure" or have "jumped the shark" (the way the term is commonly used).

Comment

Originally posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
                Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's still a nice thought! Good on ya!
                As much as it pains me to be serious in the Litter Box that was from the heart. I'm only here to see Sediment anyways.

Comment

Adding characters to It's A Small World.

Whether you like the additions or not, it just seemed like the only thoughts at work when it came to attractions was cartoons cartoons cartoons. Makes you wonder if Disney can come up with something original that isn't a movie tie-in or seemingly done to drive merchandise sales.

Not that I think Disney has truly jumped the shark or is in danger of becoming sub-par just yet...
                  My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

When Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris were hired... The park has yet to recover
                    When DCA was built.... Disneyland has yet to recover

Comment

When they stopped awarding the Dream Suite
                      Originally posted by Grumpee
                      I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

When they got rid of Country Bears and put in Winnie the Pooh.
                        Growing older is manditory
                        Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
                          When they got rid of Country Bears and put in Winnie the Pooh.
                          at least my beloved Carnation Plaza bridge hasn't been touched.

Comment

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
                            It's worth adding that Happy Days was at or near the top of the ratings in 1977 when they aired the shark episode, and remained #1 or #2 almost every week for a couple of seasons after that.
                            That is a point I often make to people as well, so I've never liked the way people use that term. It is not a bench mark of something going down hill, just something you don't like.
                            sigpic

Comment

WORTHLESS TRIVIA!!

I saw the last episode of Happy Days live in the studio audience. Actually the first half, it was an hour episode.

Comment

WORTHLESS TRIVIA (2)
                                My drama teacher did a guest spot on Happy Days final season.

Comment

When Disney took out Main Street Electrical Parade and put in Light Magic.
                                  "You are watching FOX"

Comment

WORTHLESS TRIVIA (3)

By 1979, Henry Winkler had used so much oil for his hair, that it created the 1979 world oil shortage crisis.
                                    Growing older is manditory
                                    Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Definitely the day that Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss were hired.
                                      MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
                                      (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

Imagineers made BLAB too easy. Maybe the game was meant for 5 year olds only?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X