Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dmtnt's Daily Question: Hey LB, tell me the best food you had today.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmtnt's Daily Question: Hey LB, tell me the best food you had today.

Thanksgiving. The day we can totally forget about watching our weight and being healthy, and just sit down with family and friends and load up on the good stuff.

So, I'm asking YOU What was the best food you had today?

I really enjoyed Turkey (duh), but my mom's own Mashed Potatoes were absolutely delightful today! I also enjoyed Yams, which basically is a sweet potato.

And now, you?

Re: dmtnt's Daily Question: Hey LB, tell me the best food you had today.

My In-Laws make a cranberry sauce that is killer. The stuffing was awesome & the green bean casserole was surprisingly tasty (not my fav). Dessert was good as always but my Aunt brought an Apple/Cranberry Tapioca pudding that was very good.

Comment

turkey!!!! I have seriously simple tastes. I'm more than happy with turkey. Esp later in the day. Make a white meat turkey sandwich with a little mayo. Side of ruffles....I'm a happy woman.

Comment

The turkey. Stuffed it with aromatics, mirepoix, lemons and oranges. Then made some homemade sage butter, gave the turkey a good butter massage, covered it in bacon, tented it with foil.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
          The turkey. Stuffed it with aromatics, mirepoix, lemons and oranges. Then made some homemade sage butter, gave the turkey a good butter massage, covered it in bacon, tented it with foil.
          Damn, sounds great. 300 miles Huh? Next year I'll be there, turkey best be defrosted!

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
            Damn, sounds great. 300 miles Huh? Next year I'll be there, turkey best be defrosted!
            We would love that or better yet we come there, cook at your house, eat, then kidnap your kids for a trip to the park while you and your lovely wife clean up the mess.
            sigpic

Comment

We would love that or better yet we come there, cook at your house, eat, then kidnap your kids for a trip to the park while you and your lovely wife clean up the mess.
              We've got 11 months to set that up. Sounds darn good.

Comment

The gravy was amazing.
                Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Today I made myself a turkey sandwich with leftovers. White meat turkey, mayo, jellied cranberry sauce, cheddar cheese, lettuce on wheat bread. YUMMO!
                  Every year I say I'm going to make a turkey sandwich with a moistmaker like Monica did on Friends, but I never do. Maybe because a gravy soaked piece of bread in the middle of my turkey sandwich sounds pretty gross.
                  Right now I'm going to go lay waste to my marshmallowed yams and green bean casserole in the fridge. There is no better leftovers than Thanksgiving food.

Facebook me!
                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                    Today I made myself a turkey sandwich with leftovers. White meat turkey, mayo, jellied cranberry sauce, cheddar cheese, lettuce on wheat bread. YUMMO!
                    Every year I say I'm going to make a turkey sandwich with a moistmaker like Monica did on Friends, but I never do. Maybe because a gravy soaked piece of bread in the middle of my turkey sandwich sounds pretty gross.
                    Monica's moistmaker sounds icky. I make almost the same sandwich has you except dump the cheese and put in some sausage, cornbread, apple stuffing. We only have one serving of green bean casserole and as soon as the hubby goes to sleep it's all mine.
                    sigpic

Comment

I wish I could bathe in turkey gravy.
                      For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                      http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

Monica's moistmaker sounds icky. I make almost the same sandwich has you except dump the cheese and put in some sausage, cornbread, apple stuffing. We only have one serving of green bean casserole and as soon as the hubby goes to sleep it's all mine.
                        Right now Monica's moistmaker sounds great! I'd like to just take a big whiff to see what's cooking in there.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post

I really enjoyed Turkey (duh), but my mom's own Mashed Potatoes were absolutely delightful today! I also enjoyed Yams, which basically is a sweet potato.

And now, you?

Um, just to clear up a common misconception, YAMS are NOT basically a sweet potato.They are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS! TRUE yams are not very common in the US. The flesh is either purple or white. Anything different (yellow, orange, gold) is a sweet potato!

BTW, I am a former chef, and hold a B.S. degree in Horticulture. I know my tubers.
                          Last edited by disney-fan-reborn; 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
                            Um, just to clear up a common misconception, YAMS are a yellow/gold color, and sweet potatoes are an orange color. They are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!

BTW, I am a former chef, and hold a B.S. degree in Horticulture. I know my tubers.
                            A yam is a sweet potato but a sweet potato isn't always a yam.

Comment

A yam is a sweet potato but a sweet potato isn't always a yam.
                              They are not even related in the plant world! So, a Yam is NEVER a sweet potato, and a sweet potato is NEVER a yam. There are NO yams grown in the United States.

Comment

They are not even related in the plant world! So, a Yam is NEVER a sweet potato, and a sweet potato is NEVER a yam. There are NO yams grown in the United States.
                                Are you sure? I recall seeing a food network special that said Yams were a type of sweet potato. I know they are only grown one place in the world and those people are forceful saying that yams are the best thing that God has ever produced.

Comment

Um, just to clear up a common misconception, YAMS are NOT basically a sweet potato.They are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS! TRUE yams are not very common in the US. The flesh is either purple or white. Anything different (yellow, orange, gold) is a sweet potato!
                                  Pratt Parole Lesson #2. If you are sure of something bring an outside fact to the table, rather than trying to be a 'stuffed shirt'. In the U.S. which is where everyone in this discussion is from, yams are considered sweet potatoes.

Why the confusion?

What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? Everyday Mysteries:Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress)

Aashee here is the clip where Alton explained the difference:
                                  Thanksgiving Side Dish of the Day: Candied Yams vs Sweet Potatoes - Food2 Blog
                                  sigpic

Comment

they taste the same, but ok.

Comment

Pratt,

Bringing fine facts to the Litter Box since 1949!

Comment

Bringing fine facts to the Litter Box since 1949!
                                        Yep, since the year my mommy was born. I also believe that was the year that yams/sweet potatoes cost .03 pound.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X