• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joshnyah
    Hukuna Matata!
    • Jan 2008

Anyone work for the airlines?

Hello, I placed this ad in the Litterbox myself because I quite frankly didnt know where to put it, but here we go, does anyone work for any airlines? I am thinking about a career change and have always heard that you can really advance thru the years, and I like the idea of discounted travel, I dunno just wondering, thanks for any help in advance.
  • aashee
    Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Aug 2006

Re: Anyone work for the airlines?

My MIL retired from working the airlines over 30 years. She now can fly anywhere in the world for $30. Not a bad perk!

Comment

• Joshnyah
      Hukuna Matata!
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by aashee View Post
      My MIL retired from working the airlines over 30 years. She now can fly anywhere in the world for $30. Not a bad perk!
      See that sounds just right. See I could fly out there and drink beers with chad in downtown disney and look at those things that rhyme with roobies. Wait I dont know if Chad drinks beers or not, He might be a fancy cheese and wine kind of guy.

Comment

• aashee
        Skeevy Ray Vaughan
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Joshnyah View Post
        See that sounds just right. See I could fly out there and drink beers with chad in downtown disney and look at those things that rhyme with roobies. Wait I dont know if Chad drinks beers or not, He might be a fancy cheese and wine kind of guy.
        I like beer, cheese, wine and Roobie Rhymers!

Comment

• Mouse princess
          Hello there
          • Apr 2005

That is a great perk! $30 a flight would be awesome!!
          Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• leopardchucks
            Riff Raff, Street Rat
            • Aug 2009

We have a buddy who works for SouthWest and he gives us 150 dollar roundtrip tickets all the time. Unfortunately, they're stand-by...so sometimes you have to wait a while for a plane with room. We also all have to say he's our uncle.
            For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
            http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

• Joshnyah
              Hukuna Matata!
              • Jan 2008

Im going to go for it. All the benifit's of it sound great. I currently have none.

Comment

• Duck44
                Kerplookee

• May 2006

Gramps was a pilot so I can fly Business Class to Europe for change. I love that old guy.
                Originally posted by Grumpee
                I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

• leopardchucks
                  Riff Raff, Street Rat
                  • Aug 2009

Im going to go for it. All the benifit's of it sound great. I currently have none.
                  What are you planning on applying for? One of my employees had a second job as a baggage handler and he didn't get any sweet deals on airfare.
                  For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
                  http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

• Joshnyah
                    Hukuna Matata!
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by leopardchucks View Post
                    What are you planning on applying for? One of my employees had a second job as a baggage handler and he didn't get any sweet deals on airfare.
                    I am more of a salesman/customer service monkey. Since I have an ok Job I am just going to wait like a vulture until a one opens up.

Comment

• Stitchy
                      Disappearing/Reappearing
                      • Jun 2006

I also thought about becoming one of the people at the counters. Until I watched that show on A&E about SouthWest. Man....what some of those people have to go through! I can see why they get to fly for SUPER cheap. The customers they have to put up with and the situations they deal with....they deserve cheap flights.

That show took every idea I ever had of doing that job...and stomped on it.

Comment

• Joshnyah
                        Hukuna Matata!
                        • Jan 2008

Just got my call for my first interview in two weeks, God I hope It dont conflict with the 5th year meet. Or if I get hired I pray it dont conflict with the gumball rally, Ill have to go out of state for two week training, uh oh!

Comment

• flynnibus
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2006

FWIW - the main lounges are fine for these types of threads... no need for the litter box (which is basically where MC moves threads/posts it would delete.. if they deleted stuff).

Things to think about airport workers
                          - you have to park far away from your job and take a bus every day back and forth
                          - you deal with people all day long that are doing something people generally don't like to do (fly)
                          - you get the be the bearer of bad news more often then you get to be the bearer of good news
                          - you typically must convey the message with little to no power to do anything to make it better

Not exactly painting a rosey picture of customer service roles with lots of upside
                          Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                          Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                          Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• pratt55
                            Arizona's own
                            MiceChat Moderator
                            • Mar 2006

Just got my call for my first interview in two weeks, God I hope It dont conflict with the 5th year meet. Or if I get hired I pray it dont conflict with the gumball rally, Ill have to go out of state for two week training, uh oh!
                            Good luck in your interview.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Stitchy
                              Disappearing/Reappearing
                              • Jun 2006

yes! Good luck!

Comment

• Joshnyah
                                Hukuna Matata!
                                • Jan 2008

Well flynn, where I work now, I sell used auto parts in south Phoenix, The customers I deal with are rude, they are usually 99 percent wrong on the parts that they need and are mad when what you sold them does not fix there problem, I work for a company that has no benifits, no paid vacation, no sick days, and work six days a week monday-Saturday 8am-530 When I was hired there was a mandatory 1 saturday off a month, I just found out that any month that has a holiday cancels out that saturday off, they pay me under the counter, so I pay my own taxes every year that cost me around 1600. I always have a boss hovering over me when its slow, The job at southwest I am in the running for is for reservations, off sight from the airport, with all the benifits from the beginning, 5 days a week with overtime, room to advance, free flights for me and special rates for my family, and the list goes on and on, so really everything I deal with there will be the same as here yet I will have all the benifit's to go with it.

Comment

• Joshnyah
                                  Hukuna Matata!
                                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                                  Good luck in your interview.
                                  Thank you

Comment

• Joshnyah
                                    Hukuna Matata!
                                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                    yes! Good luck!
                                    Thank you

Comment

• Joshnyah
                                      Hukuna Matata!
                                      • Jan 2008

Here are a list of things I will recieve compared to what I recieve now which is zero.
                                      • Medical: Employees choose from several different medical plan options depending on their lifestyle, needs, and priorities. Our cafeteria-style flexible benefits program offers EPO and PPO plans at costs ranging from $15 to $98 per month, depending on package selection and dependants.
                                      • Vision: Optional vision coverage provides affordable vision care for Employees and their families. Coverage under the vision plan includes complete eye exams, lenses and frames, or contact lenses.
                                      • Dental: Dental coverage is offered through several dental plan options. Basic dental coverage is available to Employees at no cost. Optional additions and family coverage are available at minimal cost (approx. $8 to $27 per month). All dental coverage options include preventive, basic, major, and orthodontic coverage.
                                      • Life Insurance: Basic life insurance is provided at no cost to all Employees . The coverage amount is equal to an Employee's annual salary up to $50,000. Optional Employee and dependent life insurance plans are also available.
                                      • Longterm Disability Insurance
                                      • Dependent Care Spending Account
                                      • Healthcare Spending Account
                                      • Adoption Assistance Reimbursement Benefit
                                      • Child and Elder Care Resource and Referral Program
                                      • Mental Health Chemical Dependency/Employee Assistance Program
                                      <LI class=listDoubleSpace>401(k) Plan: This Company-sponsored retirement plan allows Employees to contribute a portion of their pay on a pre-tax basis to build up savings for retirement. Currently, we match Employee contributions $1 for $1 up to 7.3 percent of eligible salary. <LI class=listDoubleSpace>ProfitSharing Plan: Without great Employees, we wouldn’t have great profits. Each year Southwest rewards our People with a portion of the Company’s profits to Employee ProfitSharing accounts. For example, in 2006 SWA contributed 7.96 percent of our Employees’ salaries into their ProfitSharing accounts! <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Employee Stock Purchase Plan: This plan allows Employees to buy shares of Southwest stock at a 10% discount. Flights on Southwest Airlines: Employees, spouses, eligible dependent children and parents have free, unlimited, space available travel privileges on Southwest. Committed/Registered Partners and designated Companions may be eligible for space-available travel subject to applicable taxes. Employees are able to travel immediately with their Southwest Badge. All other Eligible Travelers must be verified which could take up to 30 days to process.
                                      Discounted Flights: Discounted, space-available travel with participating carriers is available through the Southwest Airlines Pass Bureau, subject to eligibility requirements and other restrictions.
                                      Buddy Passes: Our Buddy Pass Program provides a way for Employees to share the Freedom of Travel with friends and family not covered under dependent flight privileges. Employees can earn up to four passes per quarter based on hours worked. Although there is not a charge for theses passes, the Employee is responsible for applicable taxes.
                                      Additional Discounts: Many companies including hotels, theme parks and rental car companies offer discounts to Southwest Airlines Employees.

<LI class=listDoubleSpace>University for People: Our state-of-the-art training facility provides professional and personal development for our Employees through both classroom delivered and online learning opportunities. <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Leadership Training: Want to be a Leader? Classes like Leadership 101 (Is Leadership for me?), Leadership Southwest Style (Supervisor Training), and Next Level Leadership (Manager Training) will show you how! <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Personal development: The University offers classes on interviewing, getting organized, speaking in public, and everything in between. <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Initial and Recurrent Training: Southwest ensures that each and every Employee receives thorough training. Departments like InFlight, Flight Operations, Maintenance, and Ground Operations learn from the best trainers and periodically get to refresh their skills in FUN and educational Happy Employees = Happy Customers. Happy Customers keep Southwest flying. Our one of a kind Culture includes FUN events like these that keep our Employees motivated and make it worthwhile to work hard for the Company they love!
                                      • <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Haunted Headquarters: Halloween is more spectacular than spooky at this annual event. Skits, costumes, and activities provide FUN for our Employees, families, and friends <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Culture Committees: These Employee led groups volunteer time to celebrate life events, plan FUN events, and make Southwest a FUN place to work. <LI class=listDoubleSpace>Chili Cookoff: Our annual event featuring food, talent, prizes, and of course … chili!
                                      • Spirit parties: Events hosted by our field locations which help promote cross-country FUN!
                                      Sounds much better than what I have been doing for 12 years. Thank you again for all of the kind good lucks I appreciate it. Love you all

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X