Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ORDDU: Well, my sisters and I can all assure you that gadzuux is NOT one of those proverbial 'pains in the donkey' you sometimes hear tell about. If anything, he's a very intelligent duckling who is quite good at making some very valid points. We consider him quite the champion wherever he goes.

ORWEN: Right! What she just said is true!

ORGOCH: And I knows just how ta turn a body inta a FROG, when they goes 'n puts down the champion!

ORDDU: Of course, I think Dusty Sage is a champion, as well. Hugs to the both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage
      You'll figure it all out.

If anyone takes offense easily, they should stay out of the Litter Box.
      You know what they say: "where there's a litter box, there's bound to be . . . "

A little more open here, perhaps, but not all that different.

-Dusty

A little kid woke up on his birthday looked outside and saw a dump truck full of manure his dad had ordered as fertalizer. The kid tore downstairs and started digging through the "fertalizer". Soon, the parents saw the kid digging through the pile. "Timmy," the parents exclaimed, "What are you doing?!!" Jimmy proudly said "With all this pooh, there's got to be a pony here somewhere!"
      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I must say, this is one of the more thoughtful, literate and intriquing threads I've seen lately... and in the Litterbox, no less!

A lot has been made about Walt's inner psyche and how that manifested itself in his films and in Disneyland. Everyone seems particularly interested in the "darkness" that seems pervasive in the plot lines of the stories and the attractions. Perhaps it's significant. Perhaps not. The Fantasyland dark rides, for example, seem to all follow a plot similar to: "...some stuff happens, then you die and go to hell..." The classic animated fairy tales are often quite dark. Was Walt trying to exorcise some troublesome inner demons... or was he just a great storyteller who felt that the ending would be happier if the middle was a little scary? Who knows? Sometimes, we murder when we dissect. A little Occam's Razor goes a long way.

Regarding Mary Poppins, I think the underlying theme is actually quite uncomplicated: it takes so little to be happy and make others around you happy. Tuppence. Great joy can be found in something as simple as a drawing on the sidewalk, a walk on the roof, saying a silly word or flying a kite. In another posting here it was mentioned that "Feed The Birds" was a song that Walt loved. In an interview, Richard Sherman said that after hearing it, Walt commented, "That's what it's all about, isn't it?"

In the major "turning point" moment of the film, when Mr. Banks is being summoned to the bank to be fired, "Feed The Birds" is the musical theme heard in the background. Ultimately we learn that he unknowingly reversed that situation (and, indeed, finds himself in a superior position) by merely telling a corny joke.

Mr. & Mrs. Banks kept themselves so busy with their big-deal jobs and causes that they missed out on the joy of their children and of life in general. Mary Poppins was a catalyst for change and all it took was a spoonful of sugar.

As much as I enjoy the deep thinking and fascinating theories, I hope we're not doing something similar to the Bankses by overly complicating something simple.
        "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
        -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin
          A little kid woke up on his birthday looked outside and saw a dump truck full of manure his dad had ordered as fertalizer. The kid tore downstairs and started digging through the "fertalizer". Soon, the parents saw the kid digging through the pile. "Timmy," the parents exclaimed, "What are you doing?!!" Jimmy proudly said "With all this pooh, there's got to be a pony here somewhere!"
          I think you've just stated in five sentences what it took me five paragraphs to try and say.
          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X