This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protestors at Disney and its effects

I was speaking to a custodial cast member today and she was telling me how because of the protesters at one point all the trash cans in the 15 minute pick up and drop off lot were removed along with some poles and chains that they use to set up a queue for buses and cast shuttles because of fear of protestors using them as wepons..... its nice to see Disney taking precautions for our safety..

Re: Protestors at Disney and its effects

What I hated is that the protestors thought Disneyland was somehow in control of the police and told them to do stuff about it which was not in their powers. Just because and area is well known for something i.e. Anaheim>Disneyland does not mean they are anymore powerful than the person telling it what to do.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

Hats off to Disney for respecting the protesters free speech rights; is the 15 min drop-off lot Disney Property of City Property? As all things, this too shall fade...

Comment

I have to say that I was in the resort last week (Wednesday and Thursday). I actually saw no sign of any protesters or anything. We parked in the Toy Story lot each day, so we were driving through the town a bit on our approach. Are they even still protesting?
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Only reason I ever knew they were out there was because of online news articles and the chatter here. I'm about the resort pretty often. Glad I never saw them otherwise I might do something stupid....like try to talk to one.

Protesting Disneyland over this was like yelling at the neighbor's mailbox for having your house broken into.
          "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

If Disneyland owned the town....we'd have a third park by now
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I believe they are saying that Disney gives money to Anaheim to only campaigns and areas they support. Shame on you Disneyland for giving millions to the Children's Hospital!

The protesters are only there on Saturday and Sunday. From what it sounds like this past weekend it was fairly quiet and they didn't get much attention, which is really what they want, hence that is why they are at Disneyland and not the Angels Stadium or the Honda Center.

Comment

I would not worry. I think they have it under control.

Comment

When you have Mickey Mouse on a sign dressed up as a Nazi, I tend to discount your point of view. The Emerson quote "Your actions speak so loudly, I can not hear what you are saying." comes to mind with people like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkChaser View Post
                    What I hated is that the protestors thought Disneyland was somehow in control of the police and told them to do stuff about it which was not in their powers. Just because and area is well known for something i.e. Anaheim>Disneyland does not mean they are anymore powerful than the person telling it what to do.
                    While thinking that Disney has the authority to change the city's police department is preposterous, Disney has a lot more power within the city than one might think. They do have a lot of power.

Comment

Sure Disney has some power in Anaheim! Aren't they one of the largest employers in the city? Any big business in any city will have a fairly large chunk of power. With that said, they don't "own" the police like the protesters claim. BTW, I haven't heard much in the news as of late, so the on going nationwide coverage they were expecting hasn't happened except for that first week.

IMO, if you set a protest time of noon, you have failed to get your point across. Sorry, but a protest (esp at DLR or anyplace with customers) needs to start about an hour BEFORE customers start to arrive. Starting at noon makes you look unorganized, and seriously lazy towards your cause. *durr* No one will take them seriously if they keep up this M.O.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkChaser View Post
                        What I hated is that the protestors thought Disneyland was somehow in control of the police and told them to do stuff about it which was not in their powers.
                        I sincerely doubt anyone thought that.

It's more likely that they thought Disneyland would be a very high-visibility location, and that people would notice them there. There does tend to be a large number of people with cameras there.

Comment

Dragging Disneyland into this protest is counterproductive to their intent.
                          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

They're not just the largest employer in Anaheim, they're the largest employer in all of Orange County, which is the second largest county in California population wise. Impressive.

Comment

Deleted
                              Last edited by CMHusband; 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM.
                              Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                              Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by disneyhound View Post
                                Hats off to Disney for respecting the protesters free speech rights; is the 15 min drop-off lot Disney Property of City Property? As all things, this too shall fade...
                                The drop off is Disney Property, however since the sidewalk bends into the property around the drop off it's probably available public access. Some of the things the OP is relaying is about the shuttle drop off area which is Disney property.

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                I have to say that I was in the resort last week (Wednesday and Thursday). I actually saw no sign of any protesters or anything. We parked in the Toy Story lot each day, so we were driving through the town a bit on our approach. Are they even still protesting?
                                I stayed down Harbor and drove to the TS lot and didn't see anyone protesting as I went to the parks in the morning and back at night. Maybe they were there midday and unable to influence me.

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                They're not just the largest employer in Anaheim, they're the largest employer in all of Orange County, which is the second largest county in California population wise. Impressive.
                                The thing with Disney and Anaheim is Disney is the biggest tax payer and collector. It's the income and sales tax that it contributes to the city. Anaheim does depend on it, though it's nowhere close to funding a majority of the city. Although when Anaheim needs more money, Disney can say we'll build another park or hotel which increases the tax collections if Anaheim will increase police patrols and make a section of street bigger with stop lights here and there.

This isn't uncommon to happen there or in other towns. Municipalities need more money and companies can bargain for benifits to bring thier business in.

Likewise companies can contribute to politicians and influence them in other ways to get favorable people elected that in turn let the company do what they want.
                                Be Cool Stay in School!
                                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

If you read the news, this is exactly what the protestors think. At the end of the day, they are wasting their time as nobody takes them seriously.

Comment

Actually, while there are many different groups involved in the recent protests in Anaheim, the group that was protesting near the drop-off lot doesn't believe Disney "controls" the Anaheim PD so much as it has immense influence in the City of Anaheim as a corporate citizen (and they're correct in that belief). They are an Indigenous rights group called the Mexica Movement. While their rhetoric is a bit heavy-handed at times, their goal is really very reasonable and admirable.

Mexica Movement wrote a press-release on July 31, 2012 denouncing the Anaheim Police Department:
                                    July 31, 2012
                                    DISNEYLAND RESORT:
                                    Attention: Suzi Brown, Spokesperson Disneyland Resort

The following is a statement from the demonstrators who protested the Disneyland Resort over the weekend. To be clear: We are the group that was on Harbor Blvd at the entrance to Disneyland Resort. We are not part of the group that was at the police station on Sunday.

We would like to establish a communications link with Disneyland Resort.

We are protesting in front of Disneyland because Disneyland Resort is the largest economic and political power in Anaheim; with great power comes great obligations.

We want Disneyland Resort to use all of its power and influence to stop the violence and racist criminal actions of the Anaheim police department. This will bring peace and justice to the volatile situation in Anaheim.

We made it clear to the media about why we are protesting Disneyland Resort. They reported on Saturday July 28, 2012 in print, television, and other media the reality in Anaheim as: Disneyland Resort is the money and the power in Anaheim. They went on to explain that our group of protestors wanted Disneyland Resort to take assertive actions to: A) fire the Police Chief; B) get the proper authorities to arrest the criminal police officers who killed the unarmed man named Manuel Diaz; C) to also arrest the police officers involved in the racist and violent attacks on the protesters of July 21, 2012; and D) to arrest those officers involved in past killings of unarmed persons in the city of Anaheim.

The media understands why Disney has a responsibility to be part of a solution to the killings and violence in Anaheim. Hopefully Disney also sees their responsibility and takes it on in a positive and constructive manner. The whole world will be seeing how the Disney company deals with its responsibilities.

At the Saturday protests we had the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, OC Register, La Opinion, various radio stations, foreign television and local English and Spanish language television news covering the protests that we did and explaining the situation, Disney, and our demands.

We would like Disneyland Resort to issue a positive statement condemning the Anaheimpolice actions of July 21, 2012 that include:

1) Condemning the racist police actions that resulted in killings of unarmed persons over the last few months, from a pattern that goes back for several years.

2) Condemning the racist police action of using an attack dog on protestors on July 21, 2012. This action was criminal because it was aimed at a woman with her infant child and other women with infants and children with the protesters.

Reference this Youtube video:

ANAHEIM POLICE SHOOT AT WOMEN AND CHILDREN, UNLEASH K-9 ATTACK DOG - YouTube

3) Condemning the July 21, 2012 racist police actions of shooting rubber bullets indiscriminately into the protesting crowd of local residents that included women and children.

4) Demanding the arrest of the police officers who killed the Manuel Diaz.

5) Demanding the arrest of the police officers who set the police dog on the crowd.

6) Demanding the arrest of the police officers who shot rubber bullets into the crowd.

7) Demanding the firing of police chief John Welters for his incompetence in handling the killings, police violence, and failure to arrests the criminals in the police department who committed these crimes.

8) Demanding the arrest of police officers who shot and killed unarmed persons in the last five years.

Disney has the power in Anaheim, and they should use it for a positive solution to the Police killings and violence in Anaheim. They have nothing to lose by doing the right thing. They have plenty to lose if they encourage police violence and killings. They have plenty to lose with continued protests and a boycott campaign.

We reject the idea of just investigating the situation. That investigation can go on for years and result in nothing being done (look up 2007 MacArthur Park police violence against media and protestors for the history of failure of these types of investigations).

We also reject the idea of paid suspension of the officers involved in the killing and violence. That paid suspension is equal to a free paid vacation for every person they kill or person that they injure.

We would like Disney to be responsible citizens of Anaheim and to immediately initiate the necessary phone calls, meetings, statements, and other communications that will expedite these seven demands within days of this letter. We want action and not procrastination.

Comment

^really...this is making it Disney Problems...trying to make them HAVE to take a side in something that's not there issue

Disney is not the law..it's not there job and they don't have ALL the fact nor do I think they should have to look into it

I think it's a bit much to make Disney demand to fire people not in THEIR company
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                        ^really...this is making it Disney Problems...trying to make them HAVE to take a side in something that's not there issue
                                        Oh, yes, God forbid Disney be asked to speak out against cops who shoot unarmed people in the back of the head. That might be taking a side! Disney is a primary business in the city of Anaheim. This issue affects all of Anaheim in a very fundamental way, because it has to do with how Anaheim PD interacts with the city's residents. It is not unreasonable to ask one of the biggest businesses in the city to speak out against police abuse and murder. It may be naive, it may be fruitless, but it's not unreasonable. Disney COULD do the right thing, and condemn the actions of the Anaheim PD. That might actually result in some action being taken.

Disney is not the law..
                                        Nobody is saying that Disney is the law. Are you even listening to what's being said? Are you familiar with the situation?

it's not there job and they don't have ALL the fact nor do I think they should have to look into it

I think it's a bit much to make Disney demand to fire people not in THEIR company
                                        Oh? Being a good corporate citizen isn't Disney's job? Hmm, that's interesting.

You know, maybe you're right. Maybe Disney doesn't HAVE to speak out against the murder of unarmed people in Anaheim. That might be taking a side, the side of justice. Why should Disney be on the side of justice? Is there profit in justice? Is it good business to be against murder? Or is it a better business decision to say nothing, and let the blood of unarmed people run in the streets of Anaheim, and let dogs attack unarmed mothers with babies, as long as those dollars keep flowing in?

I mean, really, who cares about right and wrong? MONEY is all that matters, right?
                                        Last edited by Retrocool; 08-09-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X