X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Former Disneyland Worker sues Disney

Imane Boudlal | Around Disney

Based on the above link, how are the two Disney designed alternatives any more appropriate to the theming of Storyteller's Cafe than the woman's white scarf? The uniforms or costumes at Storyteller's are not particularly specific to any time period and the decor is only themed on the same level that perhaps a restaurant like the Cheesecake factory might be. There is no illusion presented that the restaurant exists in a different time period or place. So what theme is being broken exactly? Is the theme of Storyteller's Cafe meant to represent a place where Muslim people do not exist?

Comment

Originally posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
      My question is why the plain white headscarf is not considered theme appropriate.
      Perhaps because it's not part of the costume specifically designed by Disney for the job?

This is another hijab currently worn by a front-of-house Disneyland employee--what they offered Ms B wasn't much different from this. It's clear that Disney wants every employee to be dressed to match their vision of what the restaurant/attraction should look like; not what the employee thinks it should be.

http://images.alarabiya.net/73/38/64...216_120788.gif
      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Based on the above link, how are the two Disney designed alternatives any more appropriate to the theming of Storyteller's Cafe than the woman's white scarf?
        On the date of THAT picture, her scarf was white. Other pics have shown other colored scarfs. Disney provides your outfit. They don't say "Show up in tan pants and a white shirt", they provide the specific tan pants and white shirt they want. They specify HOW your hair will be done. Want to wear a ribbon or barrette? It has to be within the narrow guidelines. Paint your nails? I had a friend who had her nails done, and they were done in the appropriate color. But on her ring finger, she had a narrow silver stripe... She had to remove ALL the nail polish since the stripe didn't conform.
        If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Based on the above link, how are the two Disney designed alternatives any more appropriate to the theming of Storyteller's Cafe than the woman's white scarf? The uniforms or costumes at Storyteller's are not particularly specific to any time period and the decor is only themed on the same level that perhaps a restaurant like the Cheesecake factory might be. There is no illusion presented that the restaurant exists in a different time period or place. So what theme is being broken exactly? Is the theme of Storyteller's Cafe meant to represent a place where Muslim people do not exist?
          The above attire, with the bonnet/hijab looks great because the hijab/bonnet matches the rest of the uniform. As you probably know, Disney provides you with your "costume" for your on stage work, nobody is really allowed to add on stuff to the uniform as it is all meant to be standardized and present a crisp image to the public. The white scarf would, IMHO, look like a personal addition to the uniform, and hence would sort of diminish the overall appearance. Its like if somebody who worked at Club 33, or some fancy Disney restaurant, decided to wear their own special vest or hat or something that was obviously personal attire added to the uniform. Its about presenting a professional appearance.

Comment

I have a lot to say about this, but it's not the forum to to do so. The Mods are being erase-happy with my posts lately...

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
              On the date of THAT picture, her scarf was white. Other pics have shown other colored scarfs. Disney provides your outfit. They don't say "Show up in tan pants and a white shirt", they provide the specific tan pants and white shirt they want. They specify HOW your hair will be done. Want to wear a ribbon or barrette? It has to be within the narrow guidelines. Paint your nails? I had a friend who had her nails done, and they were done in the appropriate color. But on her ring finger, she had a narrow silver stripe... She had to remove ALL the nail polish since the stripe didn't conform.
              That's how it is.

The white scarf looks OK and matches the rest of her uniform, obviously, if she wore a different colored scarf it would look like a personal addition, and hence would reflect poorly on the company.

---------- Post added 08-15-2012 at 03:52 AM ----------

Originally posted by Malina View Post
              Perhaps because it's not part of the costume specifically designed by Disney for the job?

This is another hijab currently worn by a front-of-house Disneyland employee--what they offered Ms B wasn't much different from this. It's clear that Disney wants every employee to be dressed to match their vision of what the restaurant/attraction should look like; not what the employee thinks it should be.

http://images.alarabiya.net/73/38/64...216_120788.gif
              This hijab looks great, the nice bluish color is very welcoming, and even festive. I don't know a hill of bean about fashion, but I guess it really does matter who designs the hijab, and even perhaps how it is folded and arranged on the head. It also looks 100% official, though I guess because of the name tag it is easy to tell she is an employee, very professional looking.

I can see if the hijab wasn't folded, and perhaps had a lot of different colors, it would detract from the rest of the uniform, as it is in this picture, it adds to the uniform, IMHO.
              Last edited by chesirecat; 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

They specify HOW your hair will be done. Want to wear a ribbon or barrette? It has to be within the narrow guidelines.
                So why can there not be similar guidelines for religious headscarves? Why can't they simply tell her to wear a scarf in a color that matches the costume? Why should it be covered by a hat or disguised to look like a hat or bonnet when no one else working the same position wears a hat or bonnet as part of their costume?

Comment

So why can there not be similar guidelines for religious headscarves? Why can't they simply tell her to wear a scarf in a color that matches the costume? Why should it be covered by a hat or disguised to look like a hat or bonnet when no one else working the same position wears a hat or bonnet as part of their costume?
                  That's a good point about the hat component of the Disney scarf.

But irregardless of what the head covering piece of clothing looks like, Disney should have full control over the color.

You shouldn't tell an employee to wear a specific color as you are instantly ceding control to the employee as they get to decide what constitutes that color. Colors are very specific when it comes to Disney costumes, and you can't have something that clashes, can you? The employee might wear a slightly lighter shade of blue one day, and it might be obvious to guests that they are adding personal stuff to their uniform.

Why enter into an ongoing conversation and negotiation with an employee when the employer has the right to decide the visual looks in their establishment? Every other Disney employee has to get their costume from wardrobe, to monitor employees to make sure they choose the right hijab or hat or whatever would waste a lot of work hours.

---------- Post added 08-15-2012 at 04:10 AM ----------

I'm afraid you completely missed his point. The point was that wearing such a t-shirt is NOT comparable to this situation just as wearing a giant crucifix is not comparable.
                  Well, the defense of the former castmember was:

The right that is protected is "employee’s sincerely held religious beliefs or practices – or lack thereof"

Christians who want to wear gold crosses are forbidden from doing so in work environments where jewelry is banned, yet hijabs are allowed in such work places. Wearing a metal cross is a sincere religious practice for a lot of Christians who then wear these crosses under their clothes, or not at all as the necklace can sometimes be seen. I'm sure there are some Disney castmembers who would like to wear little gold cross necklaces, but are forbidden from doing so . . .

Just saying that when you work for a private entity, you have a lot less rights than you might think, and that the hijab wearing castmember wasn't necessarily singled out, IMHO.

Britain is looking at the "cross wearing" controversy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...overnment.html
                  Last edited by chesirecat; 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinglehopper View Post
                    Disney is considered a "show" their employees "cast members" if this girl got a role in a Broadway show, or a movie she would not be allowed to wear her own head covering. She would either need to not accept the part or just decide that this part is something that is important enough for her to not wear a head covering. I do not see how this is different. Disney tried to accommodate her, but if it is something that doesn't work with their costumes, then so be it. I'm sick of people thinking that they are entitled to everything.
                    Agree! Take the job and be thankful to be employed, of decline the job and find something that you can love and feel comfortable at the same time. They tried, she declined their options.

Comment

Olivia...... because within the area of Islamic Jurisprudence there are many different interpretations of what is considered appropriate versus inappropriate. The Hijab is a cloth worn over the head, but exposing the eyes and face and it is worn with varying degrees of "modesty" throughout the Islamic world. Iran, supposedly one of the most theocratic states in the world has many women who wear relatively "immodest" Hijabs with lots of make-up..... Other countries use the Burka/Nikab to completely shield their women visually from society..... So, to demand the Hijab, and to refuse an accommodation, where there is not uniformly applied religious rule to do so is slightly disingenuous.......

The Veil/Burka/Niqab/Hijab is a continually fluctuating concept within Islamic Jurisprudence and is not always even reflected within countries that consider themselves Islamic.

The difficulty for the Walt Disney Company is how many different "accommodations" do they wish to "accommodate" for a religion that is not even sure of it's own orthodoxy? Disney has tried, to the best of their abilities, to accommodate this particular woman's demands, but she has refused their accommodations..... She DID go through orientation, right? She DID understand that CM's were not to make personal "flair" part of their costumes, right? She DID work at the DLR resort for several years before deciding to take on the Hijab, right? She was most likely aware that other Muslims were given accommodations that they were able to accept, right?.

So, would a Burka be required to be accommodated? Would the Niqab? At what point, would "reasonable" accommodations become unreasonable or otherwise detract from the "essential functions" of the post of a hostess at the GCH?

Get ready for this thread to be "litter-boxed"........ or my posts to be deleted..... but I did not say anything derogatory or defamatory about anyone.... right? But this thread has gone off topic, and I am to blame for that in some way, but it WAS a thread that invited opinions by the very topic of the thread.......

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Gardenwalk auction in February 2012?.........

Comment

Originally posted by Genopeid View Post
                        Agree! Take the job and be thankful to be employed, of decline the job and find something that you can love and feel comfortable at the same time. They tried, she declined their options.
                        But what about somebody calling her a "terrorist"? True? Untrue? I find that allegation disturbing, wonder if it was a superior, a fellow castmember, or guests?

I think that the psychological aspect has also not been discussed, i.e. this woman selected her own headscarf each day since she was young (probably I would) guess, and it is a very personal part of her personal wardrobe. Beyond a guy's favorite t-shirt or a woman's favorite blouse, this was an expression of her personality and her faith, and she probably enjoyed wearing different head scarfs on different days, to let Disney decide what head scarf she wear is pretty personal, more than putting on Jungle Cruise costume is for the average castmember.

Comment

By the way..... would Nuns be able to wear their Habit if they worked part-time at the DLR?

Comment

Originally posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
                            Olivia...... because within the area of Islamic Jurisprudence there are many different interpretations of what is considered appropriate versus inappropriate. The Hijab is a cloth worn over the head, but exposing the eyes and face and it is worn with varying degrees of "modesty" throughout the Islamic world. Iran, supposedly one of the most theocratic states in the world has many women who wear relatively "immodest" Hijabs with lots of make-up..... Other countries use the Burka/Nikab to completely shield their women visually from society..... So, to demand the Hijab, and to refuse an accommodation, where there is not uniformly applied religious rule to do so is slightly disingenuous.......

The Veil/Burka/Niqab/Hijab is a continually fluctuating concept within Islamic Jurisprudence and is not always even reflected within countries that consider themselves Islamic.

The difficulty for the Walt Disney Company is how many different "accommodations" do they wish to "accommodate" for a religion that is not even sure of it's own orthodoxy? Disney has tried, to the best of their abilities, to accommodate this particular woman's demands, but she has refused their accommodations..... She DID go through orientation, right? She DID understand that CM's were not to make personal "flair" part of their costumes, right? She DID work at the DLR resort for several years before deciding to take on the Hijab, right? She was most likely aware that other Muslims were given accommodations that they were able to accept, right?.

So, would a Burka be required to be accommodated? Would the Niqab? At what point, would "reasonable" accommodations become unreasonable or otherwise detract from the "essential functions" of the post of a hostess at the GCH?

Get ready for this thread to be "litter-boxed"........ or my posts to be deleted..... but I did not say anything derogatory or defamatory about anyone.... right? But this thread has gone off topic, and I am to blame for that in some way, but it WAS a thread that invited opinions by the very topic of the thread.......

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Gardenwalk auction in February 2012?.........
                            That is interesting that she didn't wear the hijab for years while working at DLR, certainly other castmembers have hijabs issued them as part of their costume as part of an accomodation.

Maybe she had a religious re-awakening or something?

Comment

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
                              But what about somebody calling her a "terrorist"? True? Untrue? I find that allegation disturbing, wonder if it was a superior, a fellow castmember, or guests?
                              You may be interested to find nothing had ever been reported about this until a year after she quit.

I think that the psychological aspect has also not been discussed, i.e. this woman selected her own headscarf each day since she was young (probably I would) guess, and it is a very personal part of her personal wardrobe.
                              You did read where she had not worn a head scarf prior to 2009?
                              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

My 2 cents worth.
                                The lawsuit is totally bogus. I hope Disney fights it out and doesn't settle. I hate Lawyers except if they are working for me.

I did notice something about the ACLU in the article I read about this law suit. if ACLU is handling the case, that explains a lot.
                                Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                                Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Mod Note:

This is a very tricky subject matter to have on our boards. This is not the first time its come up, and while its a timely topic and and is important to discuss the fact remains that by the nature of the subject... it automatically violates rules of the site.

MiceChat is an entertainment centered board. While most subjects may be discussed in our various community lounges, we discourage the discussion or posting of images with a political and/or religious theme. Threads/posts/images which are focused on these topics or become in other ways heated will be moved to the "Litter Box" or MiceChat Gold's "Debate Lounge" (and are also subject to being closed).

Since there is no way to talk about this subject without bringing in the religious aspects, and since the discussion of topics with religious content violate the general rules of the site because they have a tendency to become heated on various sides, we have no choice but to move this thread.

We'll start by moving it to the litterbox for the time being so that members can continue the discussion. However if it continues out of control and wanders to far off topic and to far into the religious aspects by bringing up intense details that have no bearing to the subject at hand it will be moved to the debate lounge.

Also of note:

If a thread becomes disruptive, sexually graphic, contains objectionable themes, or goes too far off topic, it may be closed, moved, edited, or removed by the Moderators. Members who become abusive as a result of Moderators protecting the members and business interests of the site will be warned, suspended, or banned. Please do everything in your power to keep MiceChat a safe fun place for everyone and refrain from posting content which hurts the community.
                                  Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling.... doh!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                  all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

You may be interested to find nothing had ever been reported about this until a year after she quit.

You did read where she had not worn a head scarf prior to 2009?
                                    Maybe she wore the head scarf as a child in some foreign country, moved to the US, had to abandon the head scarf after 9/11 as perhaps she was victimized, either verbally or physically, then decided to get back in touch with her roots and her employer stood in the way.

Or she is making a political point, and/or trying to make some money.

I'm not sure which possibility is most likely, but believe she should be given fair consideration from the judge/jury. It is well known that young people sometimes "lose" their religion, only to find it again when they get older.

---------- Post added 08-15-2012 at 05:00 AM ----------

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                    Mod Note:

This is a very tricky subject matter to have on our boards.
                                    It sure is, I find myself automatically defended Disney, despite not really knowing what happened. I must say that I'm glad I participated in the thread, learned more about Judaism and the issue of the hijab/burka in muslim life, and some interesting work place issues regarding expression of religion/religious requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                      Mod Note:

This is a very tricky subject matter to have on our boards. This is not the first time its come up, and while its a timely topic and and is important to discuss the fact remains that by the nature of the subject... it automatically violates rules of the site.

Since there is no way to talk about this subject without bringing in the religious aspects, and since the discussion of topics with religious content violate the general rules of the site because they have a tendency to become heated on various sides, we have no choice but to move this thread.

We'll start by moving it to the litterbox for the time being so that members can continue the discussion. However if it continues out of control and wanders to far off topic and to far into the religious aspects by brining up intense details that have no bearing to the subject at hand it will be moved to the debate lounge.

Also of note:

Mods..... I hope my commentary was within guidelines...... I posted nothing that was untrue, derogatory or belittling to anyone. Granted, it was "off-topic" so far as entertainment and amusement goes, but it was newsworthy, related to the thread topic, and, in my opinion, informative and questioning without being political or demeaning, merely questioning.

But you are right, this is going nowhere, better to litter-box it......

Comment

Originally posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
                                        Mods..... I hope my commentary was within guidelines...... I posted nothing that was untrue, derogatory or belittling to anyone. Granted, it was "off-topic" so far as entertainment and amusement goes, but it was newsworthy, related to the thread topic, and, in my opinion, informative and questioning without being political or demeaning, merely questioning.
                                        It was a rant that was for some reason addressed towards me.

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                                          I hate Lawyers except if they are working for me.
                                          I'll try not to take that as a personal attack.
                                          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X