Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Sawyer Island Changes - Moved Posts

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tom Sawyer Island Changes - Moved Posts

    Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    As others have mentioned, the only "change" should be reverting the island back to its original Missouri frontier glory, by reproducing the fort complete with rifles in the block houses, the escape tunnel, and a snack bar selling dill pickles and beef jerky. All references to the outlandishly-misplaced pirates should be scrubbed into oblivion. Teeter-totter rock and the merry-go-round rocks should be returned.

    Oh, and while we're at it, lets get that silly stage removed, and get that part of the island back to its original state with the working grist mill. This, of course, would require the removal of Fantascrap!, another move which would be in the right direction for this area of the park. Las Vegas shows don't belong in DL.
    Steve DeGaetano for Disneyland President!!!!

  • #2
    Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

    Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    Always check the reliability of your sources - especially with Wikipedia. The footnote on the particular section you quoted did not lead to a primary source such as an official Disney historical archive, or a reliable secondary source like a major newspaper. This source was an internet site created by a fan because he didn't like the way other fansites presented the information. He gives no indication of where he got his information nor evidence of its validity.
    And we're just supposed to digest this as fact, without any reference to source material? :lol:

    ---------- Post added 09-06-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

    Originally posted by 999happyhants View Post
    Light bulb moment! What they should do is take the backwoods of The Rivers of America into a modern version of Mine Train through Natures Wonderland. With state-of-the-art audioanimatronics and superb surroundings it could be a sight to see. If they could do something that amazing back then, just think of what they can do now (just look at Cars Land.)

    This would be awesome! I know everyone's after thrills, but it would be cool to have another easy-going ride to relax on in one of the most beautiful areas of the park.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

      Originally posted by brenden View Post
      And we're just supposed to digest this as fact, without any reference to source material? :lol:
      I guess I don't mind doing all the research, and then gladly sharing my discoveries with folks here, even if some people don't appreciate the time and financial resouces required to do so, or somehow sarcastically seem to think I spend all my time making things up.

      I didn't think a post to a message board needed to be cited in the same was as a doctoral thesis.

      The 1948 memo is discussed and reprinted in the book "Walt Disney's Railroad Story," Michael Broggie, 1st ed. Pentrex, 1997. If you require a page number I will have to get back with you tonight.

      I apologize for not having the original memo in my possession; of course, even a scan of that might raise a red flag with some people: "Well, how do we know that you just didn't type that up yourself in Courier typeface?" :shy:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

        Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
        I guess I don't mind doing all the research, and then gladly sharing my discoveries with folks here, even if some people don't appreciate the time and financial resouces required to do so, or somehow sarcastically seem to think I spend all my time making things up.
        Oh please. If there's going to be a boo-hoo about the validity of something on Wikipedia because it's from 'an internet site created by a fan because he didn't like the way other fansites presented the information' it's applicable to some random person's comment on a message board. It goes both ways.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

          Originally posted by brenden View Post
          it's applicable to some random person's comment on a message board.
          Not to blow my own horn, but I've written the only two books ever published on the Disneyland Railroad, both of which are in the Library of Congress and in the Disney Archives. I think that gives me just a tiny bit more credibility than your average "random person."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

            Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
            Not to blow my own horn, but I've written the only two books ever published on the Disneyland Railroad, both of which are in the Library of Congress and in the Disney Archives. I think that gives me just a tiny bit more credibility than your average "random person."
            Well...all of my tweets have been stored in the Library of Congress? Does that mean I can just say whatever I want and people should automatically accept what I say as truth? You've written the "only two books ever published on the Disneyland Railroad," but you reference "Walt Disney's Railroad Story" by Michael Broggie?

            Sorry to bruise your ego, but to me, and probably most people here, you're a random person, just like me. Congratulations on being published and everything, but it's a tad arrogant to just expect people to take your word for it. Most intellectuals I know provide sources for their information and don't come down on those who question it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

              Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
              Not to blow my own horn, but I've written the only two books ever published on the Disneyland Railroad, both of which are in the Library of Congress and in the Disney Archives. I think that gives me just a tiny bit more credibility than your average "random person."
              Steve I happen to own both of your books and may I just say WOW they are awesome and provide a lot of interesting information! Anyways you were not the only one who has written a book on the Disneyland Railroad. Michael Broggie also wrote a book on Disney's Railroads as well...Walt Disney's Railroad Story: The Small-Scale Fascination That Led to a Full-Scale Kingdom

              Amazon.com: Walt Disney's Railroad Story: The Small-Scale Fascination That Led to a Full-Scale Kingdom (9781563420092): Michael Broggie: Books
              Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                D3COY, Michael only has a small chapter on the Disneyland Railroad; the rest of that awesome book is really a biography of Walt Disney, and how trains influenced him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                  Originally posted by brenden View Post
                  You've written the "only two books ever published on the Disneyland Railroad," but you reference "Walt Disney's Railroad Story" by Michael Broggie?
                  What's wrong with that? That's where the information appears (and as noted above, Michael's book is not about the Disneyland Railroad).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                    Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                    D3COY, Michael only has a small chapter on the Disneyland Railroad; the rest of that awesome book is really a biography of Walt Disney, and how trains influcenced him.
                    Well thanks for informing me. That book is on my "to buy" list
                    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                      Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                      What's wrong with that? That's where the information appears (and as noted above, Michael's book is not about the Disneyland Railroad).
                      There's nothing wrong with it, but you aren't the only author to touch on the Disneyland Railroad, as you've purported.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                        Originally posted by brenden View Post
                        Well...all of my tweets have been stored in the Library of Congress? Does that mean I can just say whatever I want and people should automatically accept what I say as truth?
                        Well, I guess the difference is, people can cite to my books in other books; they don't cite to tweets.

                        ---------- Post added 09-06-2012 at 06:55 PM ----------

                        Originally posted by brenden View Post
                        There's nothing wrong with it, but you aren't the only author to touch on the Disneyland Railroad, as you purport.
                        I didn't just "touch on" the Disneyland Railroad. As I wrote, my two books are the ONLY two books ever written about the Disneyland Railroad exclusvely as a subject. I'm not "purporting" this; it's a fact. Many other books have devoted chapters to it, or referenced it. But their subjects weren't the railroad only.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                          Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                          Well, I guess the difference is, people can cite to my books in other books; they don't cite to tweets.

                          The point of this all was to include the sources of your information. I don't really care how many books you've written, who cites you, where your work is archived or recognized, how credible you think you are, how credible you expect people to think you are, etc. If you're going to type out something that was "Walt's own words" for a message board, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask where you got it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                            Originally posted by D3COY View Post
                            Well thanks for informing me. That book is on my "to buy" list
                            It's one of the best books on Walt and trains ever written. If you can get a hard copy, definitely do it! But if you can't afford it, Michael also sells a PDF version for $19 bucks:

                            Walt Disney's Railroad Story - pdf E-Edition - BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                              brenden, knock off showing disrespect to Steve DeGaetano. You've long ago made your point. Steve's responded to all your snotty little taunts. Now can it or I'm getting the belt.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                                Anyone who as a scan of Satchmo at DL in their sig is OK in my book. THAT'S the kind of nighttime extravaganza I'd like to see in Frontierland!

                                Now, what was the topic of this thread? )

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                                  Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
                                  brenden, knock off showing disrespect to Steve DeGaetano. You've long ago made your point. Steve's responded to all your snotty little taunts. Now can it or I'm getting the belt.
                                  It's not unreasonable to expect someone who positions themselves as an intellectual to source their information. It's baffling that there's a kerfuffle over asking a published author (who you'd think would be familiar with attribution) to cite something. Respect is reciprocal.

                                  You'd better get the belt, daddy.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                                    Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                    It's one of the best books on Walt and trains ever written. If you can get a hard copy, definitely do it! But if you can't afford it, Michael also sells a PDF version for $19 bucks:

                                    Walt Disney's Railroad Story - pdf E-Edition - BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS
                                    OMG YES! Thanks for the link! Definitely gunna get the pdf. I usually prefer a tangible book, but the cost of the real thing is whats killing me! You sir are my hero for today!!! :yea:
                                    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                                      Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

                                      Now, what was the topic of this thread? )

                                      Something about Tomorrowland? Movie tie-ins? I forget.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Tom Sawyer Island - Time for a Change

                                        Originally posted by brenden View Post
                                        It's not unreasonable to expect someone who positions themselves as an intellectual to source their information. It's baffling that there's a kerfuffle over asking a published author (who you'd think would be familiar with attribution) to cite something. Respect is reciprocal.
                                        Problem is, you didn't really ask.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X