This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would Walt think about Gay Days

This may have been discussed before, but I'm new here (well, new as a poster, since a few weeks, I do read the columns for about three years now). I was wondering (and I'm a gay gay myself) what Walt would think about Gay Days being held at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I'm posting this is the Disneyland forum because Walt didn't get to see WDW operate himself. Would he approve?

(I am in no way trying to stir up controversy, I'm just curious)
    Last edited by DutchGuy; 09-26-2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: Bad English on my part

Re: What would Walt think about Gay Days

Walt Disney built his park for everyone and anyone- families, couples, the poor, the rich, etc. He wanted it to be a place where everyone could have a good time, and I believe that included gays.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

He would think "Alright! The turnstiles are a-turning! Cha-ching!"

Click the banner! ^^^^
      Follow us on Twitter
      @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
      Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
        Walt Disney built his park for everyone and anyone- families, couples, the poor, the rich, etc. He wanted it to be a place where everyone could have a good time, and I believe that included gays.
        I agree completely!

Comment

Sadly I think he would have hated it.

Comment

Who knows and why does it even matter?
            Jeff Wayne

Comment

That's cool! I wondered because you know, in Walt's days, it wasn't accepted at all. I was wondering if he ever said anything about the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                Unfortunately, I have to agree. It was a much different time back then and much less understanding.

Originally posted by DutchGuy View Post
                That's cool! I wondered because you know, in Walt's days, it wasn't accepted at all. I was wondering if he ever said anything about the subject.
                That kind of thing wasn't talked about publicly back then.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

ORDDU: I believe the answer to this question is more complex than it might first appear. On the one hand I can't see Uncle Walt publically condemning the gay community by choosing to visit his park. On a more personal note, however, I'm under the impression that he didn't actually approve of the gay life style. I don't recall where I received this impression but I think it was something I read. I don't think he would have approved of any public public display of affection between gays at his parks. At the same time, he really wouldn't have been able to do anything about it since there is nothing illegal with anyone displaying public affection. It's probably a good thing he died before gay days became a regular event at Disneyland and WDW because I suspect he would not have been happy about it. Then, again, who knows for certain? It's one of those things we can only speculate about. We do know that society was very different back when Walt was still alive and I recall how guests were reacting to gay couples dancing at Videopolis for the first time back in 1987. They were not exactly greeted with open approval even at that time in Disneyland's history. By now things are very different. Even so there are still some people out there who will never accept the gay community.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                    Unfortunately, I have to agree. It was a much different time back then and much less understanding.

That kind of thing wasn't talked about publicly back then.
                    It honestly depended on where you were in the world during that time.
                    Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
                      Who knows and why does it even matter?
                      It doesn't matter in a way if you think it doesn't matter the MK will be serving alcohol while Walt said no to that. I was just wondering if he had ever said anything about this, since Gay Days never stirred up controversy (as far as I know) the way alcohol in the MK does right now.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                        While I'd agree with your feelings on Walt's views, I think that particular answer is based upon how a conservative man in 1966 would have felt. However, if we add to this another 45+ years of knowledge, and evolved thinking, his views may have ended up a bit more enlightened.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

ORDDU: This question actually DOES matter to anyone who is thoughtful enough to wonder about it. Obviously some of us do. There are many things about society that have changed that make us all wonder how people would react about certain things now as opposed to how they would have reacted way back whenever...

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                            ORDDU: I believe the answer to this question is more complex than it might first appear. On the one hand I can't see Uncle Walt publically condemning the gay community by choosing to visit his park. On a more personal note, however, I'm under the impression that he didn't actually approve of the gay life style. I don't recall where I received this impression but I think it was something I read. I don't think he would have approved of any public public display of affection between gays at his parks. At the same time, he really wouldn't have been able to do anything about it since there is nothing illegal with anyone displaying public affection. It's probably a good thing he died before gay days became a regular event at Disneyland and WDW because I suspect he would not have been happy about it. Then, again, who knows for certain? It's one of those things we can only speculate about. We do know that society was very different back when Walt was still alive and I recall how guests were reacting to gay couples dancing at Videopolis for the first time back in 1987. They were not exactly greeted with open approval even at that time in Disneyland's history. By now things are very different. Even so there are still some people out there who will never accept the gay community.
                            Maybe Walt (and I agree with this) wouldn't aprove of any PDA at his parks. I sure know that when I visit Disneyland Paris with my boyfriend, we walk hand in hand like any straight couple does, but I wouldn't engage in any public kissing or worse (that's what the hotels are for, right?). The reason I started this thread is, that I was wondering if Walt (and I guess he would, given the times he lived in) would be more upset with gay couples engaging with inappropriate behavious than he would be with straight couples.

Having said that, I believe anything more than holding hand is inappropriate behaviour for any couple, gay or straight, at a Disney park.

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                              ORDDU: This question actually DOES matter to anyone who is thoughtful enough to wonder about it. Obviously some of us do. There are many things about society that have changed that make us all wonder how people would react about certain things now as opposed to how they would have reacted way back whenever...
                              I'm gay and thoughtful, yet I do not think about how Walt Disney thought about homosexuals in the 50's or 60's. It doesn't change anything on how Disney is today. If we want to talk about a direct quote from Mr. Disney himself, then I'm all for it.
                              Jeff Wayne

Comment

There was an audio clip from an old interview that I heard on one of the Disney Podcasts that presented Walt in darker light when it came to that; however as a product of his time I do not fault him for it. The important thing is that in the present day, EVERYONE is comfortable enough to be themselves while at Disneyland.
                                I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

I would hate to speculate on what Walt thought. It's done too often, and even those who were close to him ( and wrote books about him ) have admitted everyone asked the question "what would Walt do?" after his passing but no one really knew. Even the question of what Walt would have thought of a gay-day stirs things up in a modern society. I'd prefer to just live not knowing or caring about the answer. I have no angle to validate, I'm good with the park and the people in it most of the time.

Comment

On another note: I'm a European, planning on going to visit the USA for a couple of times in the next few years. The first time I will be visiting WDW with my mother, so no problem there. The second time however, I would like to visit Los Angeles with my boyfriend. I would not be stupid enough to visit L.A. and walking hand in hand in the streets, but is it okay to do so in Disneyland on any given day? We're used to doing so in the Netherlands all the time, so I was just wondering how people would look at you? If it would mean people were shocked, I wouldn't do so, seeing as I'm a guest in the USA at that point, so... can we?

Comment

Originally posted by DutchGuy View Post
                                      On another note: I'm a European, planning on going to visit the USA for a couple of times in the next few years. The first time I will be visiting WDW with my mother, so no problem there. The second time however, I would like to visit Los Angeles with my boyfriend. I would not be stupid enough to visit L.A. and walking hand in hand in the streets, but is it okay to do so in Disneyland on any given day? We're used to doing so in the Netherlands all the time, so I was just wondering how people would look at you? If it would mean people were shocked, I wouldn't do so, seeing as I'm a guest in the USA at that point, so... can we?
                                      I do it with my boyfriend whenever I want and wherever. Disneyland is no exception. It's all about comfort level.
                                      Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
                                        I do it with my boyfriend whenever I want and wherever. Disneyland is no exception. It's all about comfort level.
                                        Okay so people wouldn't be offended? I mean, I'm not an American, I don't want to be offending your social rules.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X