• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Ol' Dan
    replied
    Re: Public urination on plants at Shanghai Disneyland

Howdy Pards,

Well, most of the known world understands that this is wrong. The information simply has not reached some folks in China yet. That's all. They may need "peein' in designated areas only...i.e. rest room" signs for a while. I spent sometime in the Far East...on the whole...I'd say they are good people.

It's kinda like smoking in this here country of ours...everyone should know it's foolish and offensive, in fact downright rude to smoke...yet there are still some who haven't got the message. And you can print danger messages all you want, some folks just ain't smart enough to pay attention. So, even in 2012 folks are still dying from Lung Cancer and Emphysema and other smoking related illnesses. Hollywood, even in 2012, still seems to think it's the 1940's when it comes to smoking. And, in spite of signs all over the place that smoking is not allowed anywhere in Disney Parks except designated smoking areas...there are still rude, ignorant, uncaring, clueless people who insist on smoking wherever they are...even indoors. Many are simply addicted and lack the self-control, and common sense, to quit or smoke only in designated areas. Well, what should Disney do about them?

To my way of thinking...if you are going to make a law...you must enforce it. Punish those who, for whatever reason, fail to obey. Nobody likes being told what to do...but laws are made for the common good. There are health and other issues involved in public urination...that's why rest rooms were invented. There are health and other issues involved in second hand smoke...

Funny, how it all gets back to the Golden Rule... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It's an old fashioned concept really...we used to call it "common sense." But, ideas like courtesy, kindness, and cleanliness etc may need to be retaught in some places...along with the idea of, once again, caring about other people.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Leave a comment:

• traumwelt
    replied

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    "The Chinese will politely refrain from public unrination." ...as if
    I know, right? Not going to happen. :-0

On my friend's 1st trip to Hong King Disneyland in 2006, he witnessed a teenager urinating into a soft drink cup while waiting in the queue for the Jungle Cruise and a man deficating in the bushes near Space Mountain. There are definitely cultural differences that Disney will have to take into consideration in the design of its Chinese parks.

Leave a comment:

• TCadillac
    replied

I have been many times in China... they spit, pee and spit some more where they ever feel like it.
    You can have personal at a restaurant clipping their nails infront of costumers... you can have have personal spitting inside buildings where ever they seme fit. ...and people do pee on big shoppingstreets where hundreds of persons may be walking at the time.

Public urination is not what one sees on every walk in a city but it happends more than enough. The spitting is an old problem that they have had in China for ages. More more than in any other part of the world.
    I can vouch for the nail clipping in front of others. I have had many coworkers from mainland China and Hong Kong that clip their nails in front of everyone along with other unsavory habits. Needless to say I would avoid stepping in any puddles in HKDL... might not be a spilled coke or water from a morning rain shower.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
    They should probably just build a completely unreasonable amount of restrooms there ( double? triple? ) in an effort to say "See? Here! Try one of these!"
    That in the end is what will happen.

They will make something that is uncommon, common in the parks and people will learn to trust they can find a restroom, also one that is clean and has paper in it when at Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Prime
    replied

The spitting and peeing kinda happens a lot here in New York City too..........in Chinatown and Main Street Flushing -____- lol

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

The country that we keep hearing owns most of the US's debt? The country whose military is building at a record fast rate? The country economically poised to someday take over the world? ...and they'll be wiped out by the black plague. Unreal.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
    You are reading a mass of BS from people that have obviously not spent that much time in China.

Spitting...yes. Just like the East Coast US.

Peeing in the streets...sure, it happened in HKDL's opening but so did mass F'ing chaos. But on the average day walking down the street in China, especially in a city as cosmopolitan as Shanghai? It isn't that common.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Prime
    replied

Originally posted by yix14xubeast View Post
    That would be a correct observation. But there are going to be people from all over the country visiting the park and it's a fact that Disneyland will have more and better restrooms available than most of what the Chinese public facilities have to offer. Whenever I was dining in nice restaurants in Rome, I often see menus in Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and even Japanese, but the only sign in Chinese I could find around was " Please do not release yourself in Public". It's really embarrassing to see that as part Chinese. I agree that the culture is different. I could never bring myself to do that even when I feel like my urinary bladder is about to explode.

Lol, amazing ;D

Leave a comment:

• yix14xubeast
    replied

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
    You are reading a mass of BS from people that have obviously not spent that much time in China.

Peeing in the streets...sure, it happened in HKDL's opening but so did mass F'ing chaos. But on the average day walking down the street in China, especially in a city as cosmopolitan as Shanghai? It isn't that common.
    That would be a correct observation. But there are going to be people from all over the country visiting the park and it's a fact that Disneyland will have more and better restrooms available than most of what the Chinese public facilities have to offer. Whenever I was dining in nice restaurants in Rome, I often see menus in Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and even Japanese, but the only sign in Chinese I could find around was " Please do not release yourself in Public". It's really embarrassing to see that as part Chinese. I agree that the culture is different. I could never bring myself to do that even when I feel like my urinary bladder is about to explode.

Leave a comment:

• tloolgb
    replied

Originally posted by Skullington View Post
    ...I have no idea what I'm reading, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Skullington
    replied

...I have no idea what I'm reading, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Prime
    replied

Lol, I think a fellow member made a thread exactly like this a couple months ago, but it got deleted months later due to complains.

Anyway, I really like that World of Color idea lol. Definitely would be unique.
    The Chinese have a strong form of self-entitlement and it isn't gonna stop anytime soo d:

Mass peeing and spitting is gurrenteed

and don't forget about their "left hands", if you know what goes on...

Leave a comment:

• Director_Guy
    replied

Originally posted by SirEdge View Post
    I understand they don't mean to be, but I was offended. However, since I was the guest, I just bit my lip and smiled.
    I'm a bit confused. As the guest, shouldn't you have the right to be treated nicely?

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

Originally posted by Marko50 View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but isn't this an abnormally long period of time for a poll?
    Perhaps... but the Shanghai threads need more time since most of the attention is pointed at dining plans and stroller tips in the WDW forums.

Leave a comment:

• Marko50
    replied

Not exactly on topic, but isn't this an abnormally long period of time for a poll?

Leave a comment:

• 1Disneylandfan
    replied

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    While the smell of urine is naturally repulsive to prevent anyone from consuming the stuff, isn't it sterile?

Yes it is sterile. Just learned that on an episode of House.

Leave a comment:

• wiigirl
    replied

Public urinating is very normal in mainland China. Also spitting both on streets and inside malls and restaurants.
    Gross :P

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

Originally posted by WesternMouse View Post
    There is a reason why those countries have mass illnesses.
    Exactly.

...although I do like the "World of Color" idea. ( I'm glad I'm not the only one who voted "Thugs." )

They should probably just build a completely unreasonable amount of restrooms there ( double? triple? ) in an effort to say "See? Here! Try one of these!" and if that doesn't work, just throw in the towel and rename the bumper cars as "Chinese Freeway."

Leave a comment:

• BlAcKoUt510
    replied

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    While the smell of urine is naturally repulsive to prevent anyone from consuming the stuff, isn't it sterile?

Maybe Disney could embrace this cultural difference and have an outdoor garden, fountain, urination area with lights and lasers so that every urinator could take part in a continuous mini-
    World of Color when they pee. This would also get Shanghai millions of dollars of free publicity. Websites devoted to photos of people peeing there could attract a whole new element of people to at least this one Disney Park.

And while we're celebrating diversity and cultural differences, I propose a Chinese-Korean fusion restaurant: Pluto's.
    lol! Reading that made me realize I don't want to ride any water rides if I ever get to visit.
    I got a bad mental image of a Splash Mountain drop.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTimmyTimmy
    replied

"The Chinese will politely refrain from public unrination." ...as if

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X