This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaliatory Rep

What is the general opinion of retaliatory rep. When you give someone negative rep for something they posted that you genuinely think is disruptive or inappropriate, and they wing one back at you out of retaliation?

This is my main concern about this system- and while it is supposed to be self regulating it is bothersome to think that it is a tool to attack people with.

How do we handle such things?

Retaliatory Rep - of course it is going to happen. Flamers are going to take every method they can to disturb peoples' board visiting experience.

How to handle it? Place a cool down on giving bad rep to someone who just has? No. This can be abused by someone just giving bad rep to everyone.

I am not sure what the answer is. I have little doubt there is one somewhere, though.

Comment

I'd think if you've been given what you think is a Retaliatory Rep, contact a Mod, let them take it from there. They have the power to reverse and Fix things.
      All hail the Mods...

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

I would like to see a Mod step in and give their feeling on it.

It is one thing to give someone negative rep for a post- it is another to give it out of spite.

I don't think I would want to turn it into some huge battle- but I was wondering what real fail safes are in place to prevent such things.

Comment

Wow. Some people really feel the need to act 12, huh?

Sorry to hear that, Neph.
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyphile
            Wow. Some people really feel the need to act 12, huh?

Sorry to hear that, Neph.
            Some people can't handle a little constructive commentary.

Shrug- oh well.....like I said in the advice thread "Don't let the bastards get you down"

Comment

I guess I'm guilty of this. Out of the sevenl hundred posts i've made, I got one bad rep from someone. It was given to me, not because I had exhibited behavior that was offensive or had been attacking anyone personally, but purely because this individual had a differing point of view on the posted topic. It is true that the rep form says do you agree or disagree with the post,and so they were rightfully voicing that. I thought it absurd that a difference in opinion (and well stated I may add) was justification for a negative rep. So I gave a negative back to the person for the same reason, I too had an opposing view. Funny though, we made up through private messaging as each of had never had bad rep before so we were even and never had trouble again...Now we have dinner nightly and have had 2 children together..Never got any more bad rep for anything either.
              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

LOL *snort*

Thanks for the laugh-

Given that my negative rep % is a paltry .5% of my posts I don't really care. I have just noticed that out of the negative rep I have gotten- three were made out of pure spite and retaliation, only one was actually post related.

I try very hard to not use it as a personal battering ram- some others plainly chose to use it as a tool to act like children.

Comment

Oh.. wrong. I got a another bad rep for doing that "Gaydar" thread. No retaliation, just posted the persons complaint on the thread for all to opine.
                  "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

I personally am no fan of the "contact a moderator and have them fix it" idea. Talk about favoritism, that means the rep system boils down to who the mods feel like listening to and whether the person receiving the bad rep did enough complaining to get it removed. I'm pretty sure you're limited as to the ammount of rep you can give in several ways, so while retaliatory rep is a nuisance, it's hardly disruptive. I'd rather let reputation happen than have it manipulated by subjective moderator decissions.

Comment

I agree Bacon- I was just fishing for opinion and some answers as to how the system stops the abuse of such behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Nephythys
                        Some people can't handle a little constructive commentary.

Shrug- oh well.....like I said in the advice thread "Don't let the bastards get you down"
                        Of coure some people can't criticize others well and stay civil about it. Were you civil? Did you swear at the person? Just accept it and be happy that is all you can do... They could try to cut your legs off every chance they get, but maybe, they are adult enough to move on... mayve.
                        >>Alan<<
                        Member 216

Comment

You can't give rep to the same person twice in a row, and you can only give rep some number of times in any 24 hour period. So unless someone's going to go through the trouble of spreading rep around to other people so they can get back to you to give you bad rep again, and then take the time to do this over a series of days because they'll quickly hit their daily limit, there's not exactly going to be a storm of bad rep. It's at most going to be one, meaningless bit of retaliation bad rep, and that'll be the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by KoH
                            Of coure some people can't criticize others well and stay civil about it. Were you civil? Did you swear at the person? Just accept it and be happy that is all you can do... They could try to cut your legs off every chance they get, but maybe, they are adult enough to move on... mayve.
                            Yes, I was civil.

I did accept it- I am not asking for intervention, I am asking for feedback.

Comment

As far as I know the only way negative rep can be altered is if it does not have a comment attached to it. I don't remember hearing stories about people asking for favoritism on this site in terms of reputation being changed from negative to positive.

Please refrain from discussing the contents of reputation in the public forum. Treat reputation as you would a Private Message.
                              Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                              I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Originally posted by mamabot
                                As far as I know the only way negative rep can be altered is if it does not have a comment attached to it. I don't remember hearing stories about people asking for favoritism on this site in terms of reputation being changed from negative to positive.

Please refrain from discussing the contents of reputation in the public forum. Treat reputation as you would a Private Message.
                                I assume we can discuss the rep system though, provided we do not discuss names nor content of the comments.

Comment

I think it is ok. The issue lies with discussing private converstations. On this board, private conversations are both in Private Messaging and Reputation.
                                  Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

Comment

I've seen in serveral rep. discussions people say, "Just PM a moderator if you think you don't deserve the negative rep and they'll take care of it." Led me to believe that people were getting things removed.

Comment

Of course- as long as we keep it in generalities. (re Mamabots post)

I have personally never asked for the removal of rep- I think it is only done when someone zings with negative rep and leaves no comment. Although considering some comments that people might leave- well.....there is certainly an argument for fighting some negative rep.
                                      Last edited by Nephythys; 04-18-2005, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon
                                        I've seen in serveral rep. discussions people say, "Just PM a moderator if you think you don't deserve the negative rep and they'll take care of it." Led me to believe that people were getting things removed.
                                        The only people who can change Reputation on MiceChat are the Administrators. If someone complains about receiving negative reputation without a comment, we tell people to send a PM to one of the Admins to have the negative rep reversed. This is the only way I have heard that people can have negative reputation reversed.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X