X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by LSPoorEeyorick
      He was, as a teen, a member of Hitler Youth. That's right. A Nazi. Supposedly there was "no other choice." There have been vocal dissenters that have said that they themselves made other choices.
      The alternative was death so I don't really hold that against him so much. However, I don't think he's going to do damage or anything, he'll probably just maintain the status quo that JPII left behind.

This is probably the ultimate thank you for working as a right hand man for so many years. The news anchors are making a deal out of the fact that the last Pope Benedict had a very short Pope-dom.

Comment

MmmKay...there is a tornado in Pope County, MN right now. Is that weird?
        �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
          However, I don't think he's going to do damage or anything, he'll probably just maintain the status quo that JPII left behind.
          Oh, I hope that's so. I'd much rather see a Vatican III, but I hope he rises above my expectations by not harming the church or the world.

CNN has quoted him as saying that muslim Turkey does not belong in Europe. Even if it's out of context, how awful.

Comment

And this is precisely why I'm glad I don't follow any one doctrine. Although, I was happy to see the last guy break down some barriers between different faiths. That was cool.

But, for those of you worried, well, the new man's 78. :botox:
            [email protected]

Comment

Praying for peace.
              Last edited by ah schucks; 04-20-2005, 09:41 AM.

Comment

You guys wanted the pope to come along and just radiaclly change the church to suit your idealogy? Call him a nazi? Nice grip on the facts-

Like any of you know what is in his mind and heart? You can read his thoughts, know exactly what he wants to accomplish?

I was going to congratulate the catholics- but this whole thing is maddening instead.

Comment

Oh, I hope that's so. I'd much rather see a Vatican III, but I hope he rises above my expectations by not harming the church or the world.
                  Okay, I went to Catholic school for 13 years of my life, religion classes the whole time, and I can't remember what you mean by saying "see a Vatican III." Please explain!

Comment

Originally posted by Nephythys
                    Call him a nazi? Nice grip on the facts-

Hey, whoa. He WAS a member of Hitler Youth and in the Nazi armed forces. Whether or not he liked it, he was.

I don't need him to change the church to suit my ideology. Radical change is not possible for such an organization, but baby steps would be appreciated. Chiefly, I need him to not take steps backwards in social responsibility or accessibility. I don't know his heart or mind today, but he's stated again and again in the past that there will be no forward progress for the war against sexism in the church. That, among other things, really gets my goat. Not to mention a general concern that Vatican II will be reversed.

I'm passionate about the subject, C. I know you're passionate about your own religion. Respect my upset if I'm feeling upset, please.
                    Last edited by LSPoorEeyorick; 04-19-2005, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by invader pearl
                      Okay, I went to Catholic school for 13 years of my life, religion classes the whole time, and I can't remember what you mean by saying "see a Vatican III." Please explain!
                      The Vatican II council took steps to modernize the church (allowing masses in languages other than Latin, among other things) creating what I feel is a warmer church. A theoretical Vatican III might see married men now widowed, or married men, or women be ordained as priests. Not that I think that will happen, but I personally feel it's necessary in terms of equal rights, and necessary in terms of salvaging the ever-dropping entry rate into seminary, let alone ordination.

Comment

I do respect you H.- but you tossed out the word nazi as if he had somehow embraced it. It took someone else to point out that it was either that or face death.

I was also addressing the entire thread, not just your posts. To be honest I know you ARE upset because the tone of your posts has changed. I've been "talking" with you online for over a year- I know how even handed and reasonable you are.

This also doesn't have anything to do with my religion. I'm sorry you are upset, but I think the man needs more than 24 hours before people decide he is going to regress a womans place, divide the church, or shun the worlds religions.

Comment

The Vatican II council took steps to modernize the church (allowing masses in languages other than Latin, among other things) creating what I feel is a warmer church. A theoretical Vatican III might see married men now widowed, or married men, or women be ordained as priests. Not that I think that will happen, but I personally feel it's necessary in terms of equal rights, and necessary in terms of salvaging the ever-dropping entry rate into seminary, let alone ordination.
                          Okay, so now I guess my question is - how do you separate these councils? As in, how long has each been in existance and why is that so? I have a vague remembrance of this, but apparently I've clouded over my memories! :o

Comment

You're absolutely right that he deserves time. And he'll have it... but it doesn't change the fact that much of what the man has ever said really concerns me.

I'm even-handed and reasonable most of the time. I really do try. Little makes it past my anger sensor. Having watched this man and having disliked him for quite awhile, and then seeing him rise to a position of power...

I'm going to make a facetious comparison, and I acknowledge its ridiculousness. It'd be like watching Paul Pressler promoted to DIS CEO. I don't like what he's done in the past, and so I don't have much faith in what he'll do with more power.

Comment

NM - there's not much I can possibly post here and get past either the board's or my internal filters.

One of the world's larger hate groups just got a new grandmast... *ahem* leader.

whee.

That's all I pretty much have to say.
                              *finds a comforting ride-related post to peruse for a while*
                              "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
                              -
                              "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
                              -
                              "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
                              -
                              Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Comment

Um, married widowed men CAN and HAVE BEEN ordained priests. I personally know of 2!!!

Ratzinger has also expressed disgust of the filth in the world including that of the sexual abuse within the church.
                                Katie :yea:
                                Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                                :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

The pastor of the church I attended for 15 years was married with four kids. Last time I checked, there were 4 ordained married (not widowed) priests. It is difficult, but some can make it work. His children were grown when he was ordained, so he had time to administer our parish of 50,000+ people. It would be hard for a younger man to spread himself between serving his parish and his own family.
                                  Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                  Help support the site you love:
                                  -Visit the MiceChat store
                                  Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                  MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
                                    NM - there's not much I can possibly post here and get past either the board's or my internal filters.
                                    Me too

Originally posted by Flint
                                    One of the world's larger hate groups just got a new grandmast... *ahem* leader.

Comment

...and yet more evidence for the handy uses of the ignore feature.

Link

Pope Benedict XVI on Wednesday pledged to work to unify all Christians, reach out to other religions and continue implementing reforms from the Second Vatican Council as he outlined his goals and made clear his pontificate would closely follow the trajectory of his predecessor, Pope John Paul II.
                                      Last edited by Nephythys; 04-20-2005, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Simply put, any group whose dogma includes core beliefs of hatred, intolerance, and inequality is a hate group in my eyes.

Your definition may differ. If you don't like mine, well, refute it rationally, or move on.
                                        "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
                                        -
                                        "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
                                        -
                                        "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
                                        -
                                        Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TinkPink
                                          MmmKay...there is a tornado in Pope County, MN right now. Is that weird?
                                          It sucks.
                                          >>Alan<<
                                          Member 216

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X