This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dramaqueen
    Why is it ok for someone to come into a discussion and say I hate catholics and its ok, but if I were going to go into one of the homosexuality threads and say I hate all gay people, that would be wrong and I would be banned. (not that I would ever do that, just trying top prove a point)
    Hrmm... where did I say I hate Catholics? Reading comprehension > you?
    Or are you just assigning words to me because of your own personal feelings?

Per a note from a mod, I've already stated my opinion. If you'd like to discuss it rationally, PM me or feel free to start a new thread... perhaps you can call it "Pedophile-palooza" or "Millions die from AIDS, but condoms are still wrong!"

Buh-bye!
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
      Hrmm... where did I say I hate Catholics? Reading comprehension > you?
      Or are you just assigning words to me because of your own personal feelings?
      So you love groups you label as hate groups? How honorable! I wonder how many other oppressed people in the world do not hate the groups they too consider hate groups. It was your language not ours.

Per a note from a mod, I've already stated my opinion. If you'd like to discuss it rationally, PM me or feel free to start a new thread... perhaps you can call it "Pedophile-palooza" or "Millions die from AIDS, but condoms are still wrong!"
      I'll take that challange- I mean did already offer a fair and rational opportunity to argue it once doing it in private will be jus the same as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Do me a favor and don't quote the bile in those posts- it ruins the whole ambiance of the ignore feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Nephythys
          There is a difference between a debate and calling people members of a HATE group- and if you can't see that and instead feel the need to come in and add more insults- then you just prove my point.
          There is a difference between stating an opinion and complaining about somebody else's.

Edited to add that it just hit me that you called people in this thread COWARDS for not wanting to degrade this thread to the level it was being dragged to
          No, I'm calling people cowards for trying to shut down discussion by stating that their feelings are getting hurt rather than simply sucking it up or stop reading the thread. Nobody is forcing you to read these things.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
            There is a difference between stating an opinion and complaining about somebody else's.
            I'm sorry- but when someone comes in calling Catholics member of a hate group- relates the Pope to a KKK Grand Master, and suggests threads for Catholics regarding pedophiles etc- then the people in this thread have EVERY DAMN right to complain about his "opinion" It was offensive, rude, insensitive and totally out of line. If Flint feels some need to vent this spleen of his hatred for Catholics or others of Christian faith- then he can either start his own thread, or find somewhere else to do so. If not, then he can deal with the anger he aroused, deservedly so.

No, I'm calling people cowards for trying to shut down discussion by stating that their feelings are getting hurt rather than simply sucking it up or stop reading the thread. Nobody is forcing you to read these things.
            Ditto!

This isn't about hurt feelings. No one is whining- they are ticked off. They are also not cowards because they don't want to wallow in the muck and crap that he has spewed into this thread.

Guess what? They don't have to suck it up! And they can post in any damn thread they want to- so can Flint, but then he can enjoy the results. I suspect he does, in fact, enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
              perhaps you can call it "Pedophile-palooza" or "Millions die from AIDS, but condoms are still wrong!"

Buh-bye!

Abstinence as defined by websters: voluntary forbearance especially from indulgence

The rest of my post will forever be edited.....
              Last edited by Disneykat; 04-22-2005, 10:13 AM.
              Katie :yea:
              Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
              :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

Ditto!

This isn't about hurt feelings. No one is whining- they are ticked off. They are also not cowards because they don't want to wallow in the muck and crap that he has spewed into this thread.
                Okay. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

You and I are on the same page, sort of. If people want to take on Flint's opinion of the Catholic Church, then feel free. I wasn't attacking anyone for that.

The people I was attacking were the people who were suggesting that the discussion simply be stopped because it offended them. This includes "hey maybe we shouldn't discuss this issue on these boards entirely" posts that were just stifling people's will to debate.

Comment

This whole issue has just made me realize I need to ignore those who are just out to provoke others and engage others who are interested in an actual exhange of ideas. A good lesson I guess.

And I know there are many of you out there who would be interested in participating in such a discussion.

I do not feel tha a topic should not be discussed simply because I don't agree with it
                  Who would ever have anything to talk about if that were ever the case! I love meeting people who disagree with me because that makes for an interesting conversation. Thank you to all who have added interesting insights.

Some people are just better at communicating than others and I apologize if my emotions made me react harshly.
                  Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                  Help support the site you love:
                  -Visit the MiceChat store
                  Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                  MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Okay. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

You and I are on the same page, sort of. If people want to take on Flint's opinion of the Catholic Church, then feel free. I wasn't attacking anyone for that.

The people I was attacking were the people who were suggesting that the discussion simply be stopped because it offended them. This includes "hey maybe we shouldn't discuss this issue on these boards entirely" posts that were just stifling people's will to debate.
                    May I make a suggestion? You say we are on the same page, sort of, but I am not here to attack anyone.

Sometimes I don't think we are even in the same book, let alone same page.

They should not have to take him on- he presented nothing worth rational conversation. The sort of offense and insults he threw are only worthy of supreme disdain. They are not cowards because they choose another way to deal with this-

Comment

Originally posted by ah schucks
                      So you love groups you label as hate groups? How honorable! I wonder how many other oppressed people in the world do not hate the groups they too consider hate groups. It was your language not ours.
                      I don't hate much in this world (I can only think of five things offhand that I hate - not including broccoli~). It's simply a label. (note to aw shucks: I look forward to chatting with you on the subject! I'll be out the rest of the night and tomorrow is busy, but look for a reply on sunday. )
                      Originally posted by Disneykat
                      Abstinence as defined by websters: voluntary forbearance especially from indulgence

The rest of my post will forever be edited.....
                      Compassion as defined by dictionary.com: 1. a deep awareness of and sympathy for another's suffering. 2. the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it.

By invoking "indulgence" you are implying that "well, Soandso had sex with a {man, goat, prostitute} and caught something, so they deserve to die!" That's rather like telling a victim, "I'm so sorry dear, but look what you were wearing... you had it coming to you, dressed like a little harlot."

It's also rather like what Herr Pope said: "When such a claim is made and when homosexual activity is consequently condoned, or when civil legislation is introduced to protect behavior to which no one has any conceivable right, neither the church nor society at large should be surprised when other distorted notions and practices gain ground, and irrational and violent reactions increase."
                      http://www.cathfam.org/Hitems/CSees.html)

For those of you with poor reading comprehension, Herr Pope said, "It's not right for homosexuals to be beaten up, but because of who they are, they shouldn't be surprised about it when it happens."

Well, if they're that upset and not bright enough to either not read it or post a reply, then that's their own fault... The fact they choose to respond and continue the cycle of drama shows their true colors. Because, truth to tell, I haven't heard anyone else's opinions... just seen lots of attacks on my own {opinion}. Discussion implies exchange...
                      No one is whining
                      We don't have a smilie big enough for that one... hrmm, a lot of responses but scant discussion or actual content. *checks the tricorder* Yup, whining, as we suspected, Captain.
                      If Flint feels some need to vent this spleen of his hatred for Catholics or others of Christian faith- then he can either start his own thread, or find somewhere else to do so.
                      Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear where I said I hate Catholics or Christians. Hrmm? The silence is deafening. Or are you so shallow that you think that anyone who disagrees with you means that they hate you? Is this second grade? Beuller? Beuller?
                      so can Flint, but then he can enjoy the results. I suspect he does, in fact, enjoy it.
                      Actually, no, I don't enjoy it, I rather loathe it in fact. But standing up for what I believe in means stating my opinion and not caving in to Shiny Happy People. Silence == death.

Either grow a spine or stop reading. You have no place to demand that the discussion stop simply because of your sensitivities.
                      - - - - -
                      Very true (and thank you for being a rational person), but I don't know if you are seeing the real issue:
                      Do me a favor and don't quote the bile in those posts- it ruins the whole ambiance of the ignore feature.
                      May I make a suggestion? You say we are on the same page, sort of, but I am not here to attack anyone.
                      Sometimes I don't think we are even in the same book, let alone same page.
                      You want a debate- bring it on. You want to slam on the people here because they don't want to play dirty with you- it isn't worth the keystrokes to even respond to you.
                      The real issue is... Drama.

It's simply my turn for Nephythys to butt in a thread and go through drama.
                      "Look who I'm ignoring! Why, I'm so outraged that instead of just ignoring him, I'm announcing to everyone that I'm ignoring him, because that makes some sort of difference!"
                      "I would never attack anyone." :lol:
                      "His opinions are so wrong that I'm not even going to respond at all, not even counting this sentence that I keep repeating over and over again to show that I'm not even responding because it's not worth responding over and over again without actually saying anything except that I'm not responding because it's not worthing responding to, that is to say that his opinions are so wrong that I'm actually not even writing these words because it's not even worth responding to, like this sentence that doesn't exist because you know that that's not even worth responding to or repeating over and over again without actually saying anything except that I'm not responding because it's not worth responding to."

Note that this isn't a personal attack, it's an observation. If you'd like me to point you to other posts where she does the exact same thing to other people, I'll be pleasantly obliging - and I'm sure the others would freely step up. Then again, if you see truth as a personal attack, then that's your own malfunction, and there's not much I can do for you.

Sorry, I've got sisters... my drama sensor is well-tuned. I never put up with it from them and I certainly won't put up with it here.

...off to my date!
                      Last edited by Flint; 04-22-2005, 10:03 PM.
                      "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
                      -
                      -
                      "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
                      -
                      Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Comment

Flint...No if so and so would keep their pants on then they would not have to WORRY about the spread of such diseases!!!!

As for victims.....oh there is ALOT of compassion!!!! If a victim is infected, that is not a choice of their own, but rather the work of evil. But those who CHOOSE to have sex knowing the consequences, have only themselves to blame. They knew what could have happened. Hence...ABSTINENCE!!!!

Pardon me for being old fashioned and a prude, but I thought sex was reserved only for marriage and not for promoting promiscuity!!!! If you can't save yourself for marriage, then you are greatly disrespecting your future spouse. Very sad. "I love you honey but not enough to save my sexuality for you cause this one hot chick was so worth it one night"

Comment

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear where I said I hate Catholics or Christians. Hrmm? The silence is deafening. Or are you so shallow that you think that anyone who disagrees with you means that they hate you? Is this second grade? Beuller? Beuller?
                          Ok.....

I have, however, had to deal with many people who have had their lives destroyed by it. This rather colors my opinion.
                          Perhaps you would like to elaborate on that? It colors your opinion to what? Label them a hate group because one or more family/friends have had a bad experience with a particular Church/Priest? Holy smokes man *I* have been hurt by people in the church.....one bad expericence, one nasty priest, one horrible church member, does not an entire church make!!!!

Comment

Pardon me for being old fashioned and a prude, but I thought sex was reserved only for marriage and not for promoting promiscuity!!!! If you can't save yourself for marriage, then you are greatly disrespecting your future spouse. Very sad. "I love you honey but not enough to save my sexuality for you cause this one hot chick was so worth it one night"
                            Sex is a bodily function... just like eating, breathing, sleeping, going to the bathroom, getting older, etc. It's something your body is designed to do. To assign anything further to it simply makes you a prisoner of your own demons. To willfully deny yourself of something that a good portion of your body is explicitly designed for seems rather backwards. Are we to avoid it because it's pleasureable? To make a case for that point is in essence saying, "god wants us to suffer." And really, if that was god's point, wow, what a completely screwed up entity she/he is! Passive-aggressive much?

Flint...No if so and so would keep their pants on then they would not have to WORRY about the spread of such diseases!!!! But those who CHOOSE to have sex knowing the consequences, have only themselves to blame. They knew what could have happened. Hence...ABSTINENCE!!!!
                            You haven't refuted my point... you reinforced it. You are saying quite clearly that "they deserved to die" for their "sin." (sic) It's exactly like saying to a child that ran into the street after a ball and then got hit by a truck, rendering the child quadripilegic, "well, if you hadn't been playing in the street you wouldn't have been hurt! Serves you right."

How... compassionate.
                            -
                            -
                            -

Comment

You know what the latin says on the side of the Popemobile?

"Driver carries no cash"
                              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

those who CHOOSE to have sex knowing the consequences, have only themselves to blame. They knew what could have happened. Hence...ABSTINENCE!!!!
                                No, dear, Condoms.

Abstinence is a nice ideal, but sex happens. Condoms save lives.

I know I know, off topic etc.

Twill be interesting to see which direction the church goes.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

Sex is a bodily function... just like eating, breathing, sleeping, going to the bathroom, getting older, etc. It's something your body is designed to do. To assign anything further to it simply makes you a prisoner of your own demons. To willfully deny yourself of something that a good portion of your body is explicitly designed for seems rather backwards. Are we to avoid it because it's pleasureable? To make a case for that point is in essence saying, "god wants us to suffer." And really, if that was god's point, wow, what a completely screwed up entity she/he is! Passive-aggressive much?
                                  this is quite possibly the most cowardly excuse to be a promiscuous person I have EVER heard!!!!! Yes, your body is designed to have sex, but not to hop around from one bed to another just to do what your body is designed for because "it is pleasurable". "It's ok to have sex with 20 girls Bobby, just use a condom and it's ok, cause you will be preventing what your body was designed for....TO PROCREATE!!!"

I do not suffer in any way because I have chosen not to shack up with any hot guy who shows interest in me. I'm quite happy with the life I lead. I don't need sex to make it better...or worse as the case may be with all the diseases we have in this world.

This is no longer a discussion as much as it is an opportunity to take YOUR opinion and throw it at everyone else and call them names if they don't agree with you. there's simply NO DRAMA in that...is there????

I love discussions, but when it resorts to the name calling you have just thrown out on me, I find myself stepping outside of the box looking in and wondering what kind of person you think I am...one who will be so persuaded by YOUR opinion that I will "see the light" Hmmmm, I think not. Discussion is discussion. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me. Would it be to much to expect an apology from you? But, if you don't see it as name calling, then I see no reason to continue to "discuss" this matter further.

LONG LIVE THE POPE!!!!

I'll pray for you Flint.

Comment

Originally posted by Momzilla59
                                    Ain't that the truth. *high five*
                                    Twill be interesting to see which direction the church goes.
                                    I think we can fairly assume it'll be to the right.

Just as an aside, isn't it hilarious that organizations that have had a lock on Western Civilization for over 1000 years are suddenly crying "discrimination" now that they can't harrass, intimidate, beat, torture, burn at the stake, or outright murder dissenters? Because, make no mistake, they did just that. And still do, in many parts of the world. Heck, do a little research on what Wiccans/pagans/witches in THIS country still endure.
                                    -
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I think we can fairly assume it'll be to the right.
                                      PRAISE JESUS

Comment

No, dear, Condoms.

Tell that to millions of kids who take a stand to save sex for marriage......an ideal? Oh Lord in heaven.....

Comment

this is quite possibly the most cowardly excuse to be a promiscuous person I have EVER heard!!!!!
                                          *shrug* Explain cowardly. The word doesn't fit your definition of it.
                                          This is no longer a discussion as much as it is an opportunity to take YOUR opinion and throw it at everyone else and call them names if they don't agree with you. there's simply NO DRAMA in that...is there????
                                          *boggle* name calling? Okaaaay. Don't see it. Thank you, come again.

I do not suffer in any way because I have chosen not to shack up with any hot guy who shows interest in me. I'm quite happy with the life I lead. I don't need sex to make it better...or worse as the case may be with all the diseases we have in this world.
                                          Great for you. Enjoy your life how you see fit. I enjoy mine the way it is, too. By what authority do you claim your life if somehow superior? - that somehow your way is the only way, the true way? I certainly don't preclaim mine as the only true way... it's my way. I honestly don't care how you live your life as long as you leave me to mine.

That reminds me a lot about the "prayer in school" issue. The real issue there is not that the parents wanted their kids to pray in school... it's that they want your kids to pray in school. To enforce their doctrines on you. Not to "live and let live," or "turn the other cheek," but rather to force you to conform to their little worldview. Now that's true evil.

Would it be to much to expect an apology from you? But, if you don't see it as name calling, then I see no reason to continue to "discuss" this matter further.
                                          It'd be highly presumptuous to ask someone to apologize for their own opinion. That would rather negate the point of having one to begin with, no? Sorry, find me something to actually apologize for and try your luck... because I certainly won't ever apologize for my opinion.

I'll pray for you Flint.
                                          I'll take that in the patronizing tone you intended, thanks. *rainbows and flowers*
                                          -
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X