This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Disneykat
    I stand corrected then my friends. In my blondness, can you tell who fell asleep in class during science????

I just watch a lot of discovery and go to the zoo at the wrong times. When you see a primate sitting on a roock masturbating... sheesh.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Comment

• Originally posted by KoH
      I just watch a lot of discovery and go to the zoo at the wrong times. When you see a primate sitting on a roock masturbating... sheesh.

I saw a gorilla throw up and then eat it...does that count????
      Katie :yea:
      Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
      :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

I saw a gorilla throw up and then eat it...does that count????
        You haven't lived until you have seen a gorilla poop in his hand and then throw it at the crowd. Don't forget the spitting camels. Now that is gross.

I use to go to the zoo like some of you go to disneyland.
        >>Alan<<
        Member 216

Comment

• Originally posted by KoH
          You haven't lived until you have seen a gorilla poop in his hand and then throw it at the crowd. Don't forget the spitting camels. Now that is gross.

I use to go to the zoo like some of you go to disneyland.

Thank GOD for the glass/plexiglass that separated us from the gorillas. My niece saw the whole thing and said "Oh my gish that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my entire life" :lol:

Comment

Thank GOD for the glass/plexiglass that separated us from the gorillas. My niece saw the whole thing and said "Oh my gish that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my entire life" :lol:
            You should bring your niece down and we will all meet. I always seem to bring the best out in the animals.
            >>Alan<<
            Member 216

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by dramaqueen
                But someone has to stand for something, and against moral relativism in our world, and that's what the church does. The church has believed the same thing for 2000 years and speaks out for what it thinks is right, despite what the rest of the world is trying to say. I think our world still needs it. We don't always know what is best for us.
                Hrmm, like slavery? Women as property? Women not being allowed to speak in church? You may want to check your facts there, as I can assure you that in the past, the Church quite fervently believed differently than they do currently.

I realize this may not be common knowledge, but do you know how the Church's ban on artificial birth control came about? There was a commission assigned to thoroughly study the issue... and they conducted exhaustive research, had many debates on the ethics and the morals of it. In the end, the commission overwhelmingly came to the conclusion that it was in the best interest of the Church and humanity to encourage the people to use artificial contraception.

So what happened? The p0pe at the time had already made up his mind. The commission (that he ordered) was just a sham. He didn't even look at the report. He just proclaimed that artificial contraception was against church teaching, and then to stifle the issue completely, declared his proclamation Infallible (the Church's way of closing the issue for discussion or change to all but another p0pe).

How holy. I guess what he was trying to say is that it's okay to be a hypocrite... when you're in power.

Originally posted by Disneykat
                I say cowardly excuse because some people are too cowardly to stand up and say...hey, there are consequenses to having sex.
                Hrmm, did I say that there weren't any repercussions to having sex? No, I didn't. To say that afterwards the two people are being cowardly is a complete non sequitir. You are still implying that if something bad were to happen because two people had sex, it's their own fault - and therefore are not being compassionate... rather, judgemental.

There is absolutely no difference between two people having sex and one of them catching a horrible illness, and my previously cited reference of a child that runs out into the street after a ball that gets hit by a truck and becomes a quadripilegic. You are in fact stating to both situations, "Heh, well, you knew the risks beforehand, it's your own fault. You deserve it."

Before you irrationally claim "Oh, no, those are two completely different situations!" here is the exact reason I state that opinion:
                Both are voluntary. The participants chose to act.
                Both are pleasurable acts. Having sex is pleasureable, and playing with/chasing a ball is pleasurable.
                Both carry known risk. Sex can result in pregnancy and disease. Playing with a ball can result in any number of injuries, and running into the street is without a doubt know to have dangerous possible consequences. In both situations, the risk is very obvious and completely known to all individuals involved.

I have presented you with two ethically equivalent acts. If you still choose to take a position that they are different, then you are indulging in morally relativism. Oh, hey look, dramaqueen even said "But someone has to stand for something, and against moral relativism in our world, and that's what the church does." FYI, per Wikipedia: Moral relativism is the position that moral propositions do not reflect absolute or universal truths.

So which is it? Does the church stand against moral relativism, or is it the source?

Sure "it happens" but I don't have to give in to desires. I don't have to do it cause everyone else is doing it. HELL YES it feels good, but what are the options??? Pregnancy, contracting AIDS, STD's etc.....WOW I can say NO...what a flippping concept!!!!
                Just because you choose to say no, it does not logically follow that anyone else is required to do so as well. You are free to make choices for yourself and your life, as that is the most basic of human rights. You (a generic 'you', inclusive of every living person or organization) have absolutely no right, however, to determine those choices for any other living person on this Earth.

Unless you are attempting to assert that your way is the only way... in which case I'll just laugh at that as an absolute absurdity.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church: "The number of men and women who have deep seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

Hmmmmmmmm
                Indeed, hmmmm... did you bother to also read the part I quoted earlier from Herr Pope himself? The part that said, "It's not right for homosexuals to be beaten up, but because of who they are, they shouldn't be surprised about it when it happens." (check my post for the source and quote as referenced)

So again I ask... So which is it? Does the church stand against moral relativism, or is it the source? Herr Pope's statements on the same subject say two entirely different, morally relativistic things.

further...
                Originally posted by dramaqueen
                I believe that God created you to be the way you are, and loves you, exactly how you are. The churches teachings say pretty much the same thing, except that the act of homosexual love is wrong, but only because it teaches that pre-marital sex is wrong.
                So, wow, you're saying that the Church's teachings are more important, more valid, and trump god's? Wow, that's quite a statement. That clearly infers that Church > god. How can one claim to work towards 'god's purpose' and then subvert it with Church doctrine and dogma? Wow... that's complete and utter hypocrisy in nearly it's purest form.

regarding abstinence:
                Yes, but is it not true that if, as a child, one is taught good moral values, that they will have much more self respect for themselves? I know plenty of responsible adults who have taken a stand as young teens and STILL take a stand to this day as men and women in their 20's and 30's.
                Perhaps you should look at this study, then.
                The study found that 23% of ninth-grade girls reported having had sexual intercourse before they received abstinence education, a percentage below the national average. However, the study found that 28% of the same girls reported having had sexual intercourse after receiving abstinence education, a percentage that is "closer to that of their peers across the state," according to the Morning News. In addition, the study found that the percentage of ninth-grade boys reporting having had sexual intercourse remained unchanged before and after abstinence education; however, the percentage of 10th grade boys reporting sexual activity "jumped" from 24% to 39% after participating in abstinence education, according to the Morning News. "We didn't find strong evidence of program effect," Pruitt said, adding, "We didn't find what many would like for us to find."
                Care to try to refute that? That's not opinion... it's fact.

"It's ok to have sex with 20 girls Bobby, just use a condom and it's ok, cause you will be preventing what your body was designed for....TO PROCREATE!!!"
                If procreation was the only reason for human sexual behavior, human females, like nearly every other female mammalian species would have obvious estrus signification. To quote this site, "For example, most other mammals--not all--engage in mating behavior only when the female's estrus signals her readiness. Human females (and a few primates) are distinctive for being always ready for sexual encounter." The next few lines indicate body parts that won't make it past MiceChat's nanny filter, so I won't include them. If you wish to finish reading the statment, go to the site and use your web browser's Find feature and search for "estrus". If we were designed only for "procreation," how do you explain the lack of visible or obvious estrus signals in receptive, ovulatory females? You can't... it doesn't follow.

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                The stance I choose to take is hopefully compassionate. Love is a rare thing in this world and it needs to be celebrated where it is found. I hope the church will be able to focus more on compassion towards all and not judgement.
                That's an admirable sentiment, one to which I wholeheatedly agree and support you on.

Originally posted by aw shucks
                In regards to Priests and the recent controversy regarding the molestation of young people, I would like to point out a very interesting fact. If you compare the percentage of married men in the United States who have molested young people to the percentage of priests- There is a higher statistic of married men, much higher in fact, who have been accused of the same crime. We don't become outraged and get media attention for this!
                The difference is that with 'married men' as you state above, they are prosecuted for their crimes and end up in jail. Priests, on the other hand, were given tacit approval by their Church to continue. In fact, every time the issue would come up, the Church would quietly "reassign" priests... into another parish full of new children they could victimize without repercussions. To say that the Church has any moral authority after witnessing that, is utter folly.
                Blaming the mother church for the actions of individuals acting outside parameters is as useless as blaming the entirety of our nation of the prison mistreatment in the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. The out crying against the American Catholic church is much like the Salem Witch Trials and the Red Scare.
                A more accurate analogy would be to say that the Church's guilt and culpability regarding years of pedophilic abuse is equivalent to George W. Bush guilt and culpability in regards to the Abu Ghraib abuse and torture. George W. Bush, as Commander-in-Chief is directly responsible for abuses committed under his administration; likewise, the p0pe is directly responsible for abuses committed under his administration. The fact that neither men ever admitted, dealt with, or did anything more than give either issue scant lip service shows their true moral character. Again, how... compassionate.

Humans until the Germen mentalist Sigmund Freud appeared- followed a moral code long before Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church. The traditions were set in place to avoid "complications." The family unit was valued and praised, it provided labor for the parents and a support structure and was mirrored in early civilization.
                It would be more accurate to state that that "moral code" included that it was perfectly acceptable to have paramours (extramarital sex partners) as long as you weren't caught. It was the "code of silence *wink* *nudge* *wink* *nudge*" If you were caught, however, the hammer came down on you "to make example" to not get caught. Hell, you might want to research the popes who were well know in their day to having wives & children, and also homosexual lovers. To wit:
                "Priests (and therefore Popes) were not required to be celibate until the eleventh century, and some took full advantage. John XII - a bisexual pope who held orgies in the papal palace. Benedict IX - a homosexual pope who also enjoyed hosting orgies. Alexander VI - a bisexual pope who was not going to let his fun be spoiled just because he became pope after celibacy became mandatory. He fathered at least 8 children and had many male lovers. Julius III - a homosexual pope who respected his vow of celibacy, but had a male lover before taking that vow. Paul II-Possible transsexual pope? His tendency to wear lavish and feminine clothing earned him the nickname "Our Lady of Pity."
                I'd say that shows an interesting "moral code"...
                "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
                -
                "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
                -
                "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
                -
                Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Comment

They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

Hmmmmmmmm
                  That doesn't equal "God made them that way," which is what would be meant when I suggested that as a product of nature, which is what you just quoted. Just because the Church has decided that gays don't make the concious decision to be gay and shouldn't be persecuted, isn't the same thing.

Comment

• Ahh, Flint....always needing to have the final word. I'll agree to disagree with you when you stop implying that I am saying my way is the only way...I'm merely stating my opinion.

You are still implying that if something bad were to happen because two people had sex, it's their own fault
                    Then who's fault is it??? Society for not giving them condoms???? I see.....always have to blame someone else for their own actions.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ah schucks
                      Humans until the Germen mentalist Sigmund Freud appeared- followed a moral code long before Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church. The traditions were set in place to avoid "complications." The family unit was valued and praised, it provided labor for the parents and a support structure and was mirrored in early civilization.

So now suddenly some Germen guy comes along centuries later and reminds that it is "natural" for humans to "simply have sex" for none-procreative purposes.
                      In "early civilization," (as in, caveman days) much of the sex going on was .

And sex for pleasure began with Sigmund Freud? I'm sorry, but what!? Have you ever heard of Ancient Greece? It was quite a wild orgy compared to society these days. The Romans had legalized prostitution. Clearly, they weren't doing that for the purposes of reproduction and making a family.

The family unit, procreating and monogamy are suddenly inhumane?
                      Wait, who in this thread said that?

Abstinence was a tradition long before Freud
                      Time isn't on your side in that claim. From the beginning of time that we know of, virginity was of little worth until the middle ages.

To the question of homosexuality and the church I will say for one I heard a great argument on the radio by a man I never thought I would agree with in my entire life: Bill O Reily. This week he came under fire from conservatives because he pointed out that no where in the New Testament does Jesus discuss homosexuality or discourage it.
                      Bill O'Reilly has also said that he doesn't agree with the Pope on everything, and many of the things he doesn't agree on are laws made by man and not by God, such as not eating meat on Fridays. These are the kinds of laws that, for the most part, have been debated in this thread.

If you compare the percentage of married men in the United States who have molested young people to the percentage of priests- There is a higher statistic of married men, much higher in fact, who have been accused of the same crime. We don't become outraged and get media attention for this!
                      This is probably because most of us trust each other to behave ourselves, and believe that someone only becomes a problem when they show themselves to be one. I don't believe that married men will be pulled out of scout troops and classroom jobs and all be replaced with priests. Nobody should be judged by what label they fall into. You can't say a married man is more likely to molest than a current priest without really knowing the two individuals you're comparing.

Comment

• You know what guys? People continually get one thing confused when it comes to the church... Don't go by Man, Go by God. Yes the Catholic Church killed MILLIONS of people in the name of Christ and even in the churches of England there are dungeons where they punished and tortured people who didn't want to follow their beliefs. But you know what? I'm positive that wasn't God. That was a man's decision to do that. Sometimes people claim to do things in the name of Christ and in the process they create people who then choose to hate the church because they judge the church as one entity rather than as that person's specific mistake...

I'm not Catholic, but I grew up in a Pentecostal home. I attend church but THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A CHRISTIAN. Just because I go doesn't make me a Christian anymore than going to ToonTown makes me a toon. I am not a Christian because I do not want to be like so many others, that proclaim to be one and do things that are not Christ like. Christianity is YOUR PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.

I've been called many things on this board, including intolerant because I believe that everything is not ok, and that I DO believe that some things are flat out wrong. Anti-Christians say that Christianity forces its views on the world... Well guess what. EVERYTHING DOES! I don't support Homosexuality, but it is everywhere and I cannot avoid, and all the time, everyone is telling me to be tolerant. You are forcing your views on me! Do I really care about what someone does in the privacy of their own home? Of course not, but when it's all over television, the internet, videogames, and everything else that I enjoy, well know you have forced your view upon me...

And God doesn't hate Homosexuals, he hates HOMOSEXUALITY. Not the person but the SIN. I know lots of Gay people, and we are all friends. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that I am intolerant.

Basically, we are all hypocrites at some point in time. Even those that say everyone should just let people do what they want. The point is that no one is perfect. Not the pope, not me, not Catholics, on one. God is however, and the only thing that matters is what HE says. Nothing else. And no matter what people's argument is against the INSTITUTION of the Church, they are still talking about a Man's agenda. Because God's plan is perfect...

Comment

• Bill O'Reilly has also said that he doesn't agree with the Pope on everything,
                          And let's be honest here: show me a Catholic who does!!!!! Just because the Pope says something does not mean every single Catholic falls to their knees and says "Oh you say it, I believe" I have my share of things I may not agree on, however, I take the time to understand why the church stands behind certain beliefs. I don't leave the church because of one stance the church has to a certain issue. if that were the case, then I may as well not believe in God period (or ANY religion), but I'll leave that to the weak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soulquarian
                            I attend church but THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A CHRISTIAN. Just because I go doesn't make me a Christian anymore than going to ToonTown makes me a toon. I am not a Christian because I do not want to be like so many others, that proclaim to be one and do things that are not Christ like. Christianity is YOUR PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
                            That's a nice philosophy.

I don't support Homosexuality
                            But why take a position on homosexuality at all? Is God telling you that, or are churches and pastors and politicians telling you that? How do you know God isn't making people that way? Homosexuality wasn't even a big enough deal for him to put on the Ten Commandments, correct? In fact, it was outranked by things like "honor your parents" and "don't covet your neighbors' posessions."

Do I really care about what someone does in the privacy of their own home? Of course not
                            So then why not just take an apathetic view to the whole thing?
                            but when it's all over television, the internet, videogames, and everything else that I enjoy
                            There's room for your opinion to dissent with other people's, but there's also room for vice versa. Just because someone has the right to air " Eye" isn't forcing an opinion on you. You have the equal right to not watch it.

And God doesn't hate Homosexuals, he hates HOMOSEXUALITY. Not the person but the SIN. I know lots of Gay people, and we are all friends. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that I am intolerant.
                            I think you sound like a pretty nice guy who's just trying to get by like all of us are, myself. I'm just asking you, since it was your decision, why have an opinion about it at all? If you can make friends with gays, and say you don't care about what people are doing in the privacy of their bedrooms, then how does it really affect you at all? How can you say it's wrong when it's done nothing to wrong you?

Comment

• Just because you choose to say no, it does not logically follow that anyone else is required to do so as well. You are free to make choices for yourself and your life, as that is the most basic of human rights. You (a generic 'you', inclusive of every living person or organization) have absolutely no right, however, to determine those choices for any other living person on this Earth.
                              But it does mean she has the right to promote saying no and spread it as a strong belif. You, on the other hand, have offerd an opinion with no plausable facts.

So, wow, you're saying that the Church's teachings are more important, more valid, and trump god's? Wow, that's quite a statement. That clearly infers that Church > god. How can one claim to work towards 'god's purpose' and then subvert it with Church doctrine and dogma? Wow... that's complete and utter hypocrisy in nearly it's purest form.
                              The church's teachings ARE GODS TEACHINGS!!! They relate it to the population in the way it is supposed to be related, and as such, the population does not submit itself to the hipocracy that would have developed by the differing takes on the bible's text.

I hope find god soon, Flint. You need him.
                              Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
                              http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!
                              sigpic

Comment

• But why take a position on homosexuality at all? Is God telling you that, or are churches and pastors and politicians telling you that? How do you know God isn't making people that way? Homosexuality wasn't even a big enough deal for him to put on the Ten Commandments, correct? In fact, it was outranked by things like "honor your parents" and "don't covet your neighbors' posessions."
                                God destroyed an entire city because of Homosexuality and other sexual acts... Sodom and Gohmorra.

There's room for your opinion to dissent with other people's, but there's also room for vice versa. Just because someone has the right to air " Eye" isn't forcing an opinion on you. You have the equal right to not watch it.
                                But know it permeates everything. I was playing a videogame recently and all of a sudden there's a lesbian scene. Or there will be a movie that has a homosexual encounter that is TOTALLY not expected in the film! There are even threads in this forum that pushed for a Gay Disney Princess movie. Or the creation of Gay cartoons. I didn't expect to see those things in the movie I watched. I didn't expect to see it in the game I played. It's on the news, it's everywhere.

I think you sound like a pretty nice guy who's just trying to get by like all of us are, myself. I'm just asking you, since it was your decision, why have an opinion about it at all? If you can make friends with gays, and say you don't care about what people are doing in the privacy of their bedrooms, then how does it really affect you at all? How can you say it's wrong when it's done nothing to wrong you?
                                Because it IS NOT private. Gay Days at Disneyland, while mostly a tame event, forced me to explain to my 3 year old cousin why two men were making out in line. That affects me and a child. It is no longer a private act, or something between aperson and thei partner, it is a fullfledged campaign for acceptance. No really cares about it, but when they want to teach it to children, advertise it, market it, well now we have an issue...

Many Christians and believers of Christ think the same thing, but because of a few crazy individuals, everyone assumes things about God, the Church, and Chirstians that simply aren't true. Read the Bible, all the answers to everything you could ever imagine are in there. Trust me.

Comment

• And God doesn't hate Homosexuals, he hates HOMOSEXUALITY. Not the person but the SIN. I know lots of Gay people, and we are all friends. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that I am intolerant.
                                  Indeed. Though it might mean you'd make a great lawyer.

Comment

• Originally posted by pussnboots
                                    Indeed. Though it might mean you'd make a great lawyer.
                                    And what, may ask, offended you so much as to give me a negative rep.? Because you surely didn't explain so by saying "blah, blah, blah> you"... :confused:

Comment

God destroyed an entire city because of Homosexuality and other sexual acts... Sodom and Gohmorra.
                                      First of all, that's a parable. Secondly, that wasn't because of homosexuals. It was because they were poor hosts. Thirdly, that's Old Testament, which is a seperate book from the philosophy of Christ in the New Testament. The Old Testament is a Jewish history book that got almost nothing right about God, as Jesus paints a picture of a much more loving God than the Old Testament did. God was never about being the Jews' deliverer and conqueror of enemies.

I was playing a videogame recently and all of a sudden there's a lesbian scene.
                                      Don't video games have ratings? The more morally objective they are, the typically higher the rating. That's why nobody confuses stuff like Doom with a kids game anymore.
                                      Or there will be a movie that has a homosexual encounter that is TOTALLY not expected in the film!
                                      Now I know there's a system in place here.

There are even threads in this forum that pushed for a Gay Disney Princess movie. Or the creation of Gay cartoons.
                                      Then you just wouldn't watch these things?

Because it IS NOT private.
                                      We're talking about sex, which is a private issue.
                                      Gay Days at Disneyland, while mostly a tame event, forced me to explain to my 3 year old cousin why two men were making out in line. That affects me and a child. It is no longer a private act, or something between aperson and thei partner
                                      I disagree with making out in public, but the same could be said about it if it was a heterosexual couple making out, could it not?
                                      but because of a few crazy individuals, everyone assumes things about God, the Church, and Chirstians that simply aren't true. Read the Bible, all the answers to everything you could ever imagine are in there. Trust me.
                                      I don't know, you've put forth a number of the typical Jerry Falwell and Jack Chick reasonings, and those ARE the crazy people to me.

Comment

I'm not Catholic, but I grew up in a Pentecostal home. I attend church but THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME A CHRISTIAN. Just because I go doesn't make me a Christian anymore than going to ToonTown makes me a toon. I am not a Christian because I do not want to be like so many others, that proclaim to be one and do things that are not Christ like.
                                        "Christianity Without The Cross" is sometimes used as the basic definition of Pentecostalism - a previous poster was confused about Soulquarian's remark that he attends church but it doesn't make him a Christian. Thought I'd clarify it:

Persons, churches, movements, etc., affirming the belief that speaking in tongues is the primary or exclusive initial evidence of the spiritual blessing known as the baptism in the Holy Spirit; or, those in historical continuity with and general agreement with the twentieth-century movement characterized by this initial-evidence doctrine. These persons, churches, and movements are generally part of institutions and denominations that originated out of the original Pentecostal movement in the early 1900s.
                                        "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I disagree with making out in public, but the same could be said about it if it was a heterosexual couple making out, could it not?
                                          people should not make out at DL at all whether homosexual or heterosexual

I'm just asking you, since it was your decision, why have an opinion about it at all? If you can make friends with gays, and say you don't care about what people are doing in the privacy of their bedrooms, then how does it really affect you at all? How can you say it's wrong when it's done nothing to wrong you?
                                          Love the sinner hate the sin....everyone is entitled to an opinion and if they so choose then they can choose not to have an opinion. my goodness.

Well, folks, this is who I am. I'm not perfect, nor have I claimed to be. It has taken me years to sort through the emotions, doctrine and teachings. But this is it. I don't go to someone and tell them "OMG you don't believe what Ido? You're going to HELL" but if asked my opinion I will offer it. If my church is slammed as it was in this thread I will defend. Take it or leave it my friends.
                                          Last edited by Disneykat; 04-23-2005, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X