This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Safety Spiels

Ok, so here's the other thing I hate about Disneyland. Now, I love the original safety spiels. The Haunted Mansion Narrator is so good at creating atmosphere and immersion. However, sometime in the last decade, a spanish version popped up and popped me out of the "reality" of the Haunted Mansion.
    Should we even have Spanish Safety Spiels? One argument is that Disney needs it because of liability. While the other is that if that were the case, then there would need to be a safety spiel in every language to create a "suit free" enviornment at Disneyland. What are your thoughts?

Honestly I don't remember the spanish spiel, I was too overcome by my happiness of just being on the Haunted Mansion.

Comment

ok, if it was on the haunted mansion yes, it would take me out of the expierience. But if they took out the spanish on the Matterhorn, it would simply not be the same, its almost the highlight of the ride.
      What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Para suesay mui dod.....blah blah spanish blah.....I actually started laughing the first time i heard the spanish HM speil. I was like "are you kidding me." I agree with the liability, but if they have people from all over the world visiting, then why not have it in mandarin (which I think is more used then spanish), french, italian, german, japanese etc.... I think that they need to figure out a headphone system around the parks for international tourists. That spanish seriously is a mood ruiner on HM. Imagine going on thunder and having the Howdy guy speaking in spanish with a western twang. I shudder to think it. El Howdy amigos, hango ono k hatos e visors, e crazy transportado de wilderness.
        sigpic
        Elsa's and Anna's
        Disneyland Dec 2014

Comment

Do you think the spanish speaking guy would ruin the ride for you if you were a spanish speaker?

Comment

Probably not, but as an english speaking person, which alot of the world is, it sounds weird, especially with the crazy emphisas the guy speaks the spanish in on HM. You know that in most of europe, the teach english as a second language right? But then when people come from mexico we are expected to know spanish?? That ain't right i tell yah.
            sigpic
            Elsa's and Anna's
            Disneyland Dec 2014

Comment

"But then when people come from mexico we are expected to know spanish??"
              I don't think they've replaced the English version with the Spanish one, so no, I don't think "we" are expected to know Spanish. I think given the huge percentage of spanish speakers (as only language, or primary of two langauges) in California, it's a good decision for Disneyland to start adding more Spanish. The voiceover work on some of the spanish recordings needs some improvement for sure, but there have got to be a lot of kids (and adults) whose Disneyland experience is majorly improved by it.

If you're really bothered and offended by these durn foreigners invading the park and bringing their Spanish with them I don't know if Disneyland is really as fitting for you as you think. It's a small world, you know.

Comment

No I don't care about the different languages in DL, that is expected. It's when I cannot qualify for a good paying job without knowing spanish. I have all the qualifications except for knowing spanish, and I can't get a job because of it. So i repeat, why am I expected to know spanish to live in california?? My little sister is in 7th grade and I think it is now REQUIRED to learn spanish, yet it's not REQUIRED for immigrants to learn english?? WHAT? All the liquor store owners that I know from the middle east and asia know english? The store across the street from me is owned by Iranians and they speak fine English, cause they took the time to learn it for their customers. Why do mexicans think they don't need to learn it is what I wanna know.
                sigpic
                Elsa's and Anna's
                Disneyland Dec 2014

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfreeek
                  My little sister is in 7th grade and I think it is now REQUIRED to learn spanish, yet it's not REQUIRED for immigrants to learn english?? WHAT?
                  The spanish speaking kids aren't learning english in school, which they're legally required to attend?

Comment

I'm a tad curious why there's never been Japanese spiels on any of the attractions, given the large number of Japanese tourists that visit the Park every year.

Nor Vietnamese, given that the largest concentration of Vietnamese people outside of Vietnam live only minutes away from Disneyland in Garden Grove (as well as throughout California).

Nor Korean, which also has a huge immigrant population nearby.

Nor Chinese, which.....

OK, you get the idea.

The point is that Spanish-speakers are catered to where other non-English speakers are not. Why? Is there a verifiable record of an increase in accidents at Disneyland caused by Spanish-only speakers (which might actually warrant safety warnings in that language)? Or is Disney playing the "politically placating" game by doing it?

Personally I would pay good money to hear Dallas MacKennon's Old Prospector character saying "Remain Seated please......Cinnamon toast and tacos, por favor", just for laffs.
                    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfreeek
                      No I don't care about the different languages in DL, that is expected. It's when I cannot qualify for a good paying job without knowing spanish. I have all the qualifications except for knowing spanish, and I can't get a job because of it. So i repeat, why am I expected to know spanish to live in california?? My little sister is in 7th grade and I think it is now REQUIRED to learn spanish, yet it's not REQUIRED for immigrants to learn english?? WHAT? All the liquor store owners that I know from the middle east and asia know english? The store across the street from me is owned by Iranians and they speak fine English, cause they took the time to learn it for their customers. Why do mexicans think they don't need to learn it is what I wanna know.
                      I confronted this phenomenon way back in the 80s, right after I got out of high school.

It's the schools. They're not requiring all students to learn both languages concurrently from K-12, which gives the bilingual Spanish-speaking students a clear economic advantage in the California job market after they graduate.

Some Mexicans (not all, mind you - I've met Mexican immigrants who believed it was vital for them to learn English) feel that it's not necessary for them to learn English because they're able to function without it in California. The reason for this is twofold - population numbers and the fact that big business caters to them openly.

Flip the script a moment - if millions of monolingual English-speaking Americans were flooding across Mexico's border and taking up residence there (and even citizenship) because there were economic benefits to doing so, and if the large numbers of American immigrants there, combined with a welcoming Mexican business community that provided plenty of goods and services in English, doesn't it stand to reason that there'd be a number of Americans who felt it wasn't all that necessary to learn Spanish, simply because they could function well enough with just English? And wouldn't it stand to reason that there'd be Mexicans who were annoyed with the "norteamericano" influences in their society, whether large or small?

The simple fact of the matter is that the states that reside along the US/Mexico border are not, culturally speaking, like the rest of the nation. They're a unique blend of American and Mexican influences, in all areas, that probably would be best named "La Frontera". City names, street names, geographical locations, food, music, etc. - there's a ton of Spanish and Mexican cultural influence that has existed in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, and Nevada (the names of these states, by the way, all reflect that Spanish influence) since the 1700s. It only makes good sense for everyone in this region to learn both languages, not only for the immediate financial benefits it can offer but also to reflect the fact that people in this region can work to overcome the minor surface differences between them and live in harmony.
                      My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

Dude, Southern California is like, 99.9999999999% hispanic. haha. That's why they have the Spanish spiels.

Comment

I don't understand why people have such a problem with the bilingual safety spiels. In Euro Disney I believe there are three different safety spiels. I am sure there are just as many if not more in Tokyo Disney. You think that "Para Su Seguridad ..... " Is Bad?? Try Having it in French, then English, and then German or some other language. I think people need to get over their darn egos and be happy that they are at Disneyland and enjoy their day at the park.
                          Originally posted by drunkmom
                          this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Comment

I think we get so used to the spiels that when they are changed we tend to be displeased. For example:

BTM: "Howdy folks, please keep your hands and arms inside the train, and reamin seated at all times......"

is now

"Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms, and legs inside the train..."

So, while it still is in english, you have that added element of "legs" in there. For those of us who were used to the old way, it's just not "the same" So really for me....when it comes to Disneyland stuff, I'm not liking change much. In reality I realize all things must change, but not my BTM spiel!!!!!
                            Katie :yea:
                            Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                            :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

The fact that we have Spanish saftey speils are just dumb. If you don't know how to handle yourself in a theme park and require a safety spiel to tell you how to behave.... well, in my opinion, Disney should offer safety information in brochure form in every major language as you enter the park. That way I don't have to burst out laughing every time I go on the HM.

Comment

Originally posted by woxel1
                                The fact that we have Spanish saftey speils are just dumb. If you don't know how to handle yourself in a theme park and require a safety spiel to tell you how to behave.... well, in my opinion, Disney should offer safety information in brochure form in every major language as you enter the park. That way I don't have to burst out laughing every time I go on the HM.
                                Ever park needs to post and or spew these messages. When there is litigation, they can show they tried to mitigate the amount of damage with the warning.
                                >>Alan<<
                                Member 216

Comment

They have a new spanish spiel on Soarin Over california now too. It really does take from the atmosphere... They should have spanish Park maps that have the speil for each ride written on them already. They should do this for every language.

Comment

I am totally and utterly against the Spanish spiel invading and ruining the Haunted Mansion English spiel. It sounds terrible and it snaps you right out of the immersive quality of the ride, and ruins your suspension of disbelief. For years it wasn't nessecary to have a Spanish spiel, and now suddenly they need it? Give me a break.

Now on the other hand, I LOVE the Spanish spiel on the Matterhorn. As someone else says, it just wouldn't be the same without it!

"Permanencer sentados, por favor"

Comment

OK, as far as these "takes away from the suspension of disbelief" comments are concerned, I'd like to ask - just HOW does a safety spiel in English NOT take away from the suspension of disbelief during the narrative presentation of a fictional story?

"Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still....that is the time.....when ghosts are present.....practicing their terror....with ghoulish delight! Welcome, foolish mortals, to the HAUNTED MANSION...."

"PLEASE KEEP YOUR HANDS AND ARMS INSIDE THE DOOMBUGGY AT ALL TIMES."

Excuse me, but even in English, these safety spiels DO, in fact, take from the narrative. They slam you back into reality real quick, FOR YOUR SAFETY. So you're not lulled so much by the story that you end up doing something dumb that can hurt you.

I ask again - how could a warning in Spanish be any less intrusive into the narrative than an English safety spiel?

Answer - it can't, unless you're someone who has a major problem with the fact that there are many more Spanish-speakers in Southern California than there were 20 or 30 years ago.

Adventurer's comment about the Spanish spiel "invading and ruining" are quite telling. Notice the phrasing he used - "invading and ruining". That's how he views the large influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants to the US - in his view, they've invaded and ruined California. (Don't even try to deny it, Adventurer, I've dealt with that attitude among my fellow Californians for over 2 decades and even I was infected with that mindset myself at one point, so I see right through it.) It's basically the fear of the newcomer, of the foreign "other", the unknown, and it's something that native Californians need to overcome real quick before it gets worse.

Now, as far as the Haunted Mansion's spiel goes - sure, it's a bit jarring, but not so much because it's in Spanish - it's because another voice actor was used, one whose voice is noticably different from Paul Frees'. Jack Wagner's Spanish Matterhorn safety spiels were done by him at the time of the original recording. So they flow a little easier.

But people need to really check themselves when it comes to stuff like this. There is a lot of cultural bias and even some racism that lies under the surface of issues like this, and personal attitudes need to be examined and reexamined to get the emotions involved under control. The simple fact of the matter is that Walt Disney made Disneyland for the whole world, not just the English-speaking world, and not just the Anglo-Saxon world.

Consider the current Spanish safety spiel on the Haunted Mansion to be just a goofy little new throw-in that sounds like a Telemundo advertisement, laugh it off, and enjoy the rest of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob66
                                        Consider the current Spanish safety spiel on the Haunted Mansion to be just a goofy little new throw-in that sounds like a Telemundo advertisement, laugh it off, and enjoy the rest of the show.
                                        It's quirky on the Matterhorn, but they need to get rid of it on HM. It ruins it.

Is it an invasioin? I think so. Does it ruin it? Yes, I think so.

I'm not even going to touch the rest of your comments because it would get nasty, and I'm not denying anything.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X