X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilentBob66
    Oh none taken; I understood!

Although, yikes, you were really going off on the guy there for a minute. I don't think his comments were coming from a necessarily hateful place inside, rather just an ethnocentric place. And while that's a problem, it's one that can be overcome within the individual, through education and reasoned, logical discussion of the issues. Simply lashing out at a person and pasting a label on them, i.e., "racist", "hater", "homophobe", whatever it may be, doesn't really change things for the better. Many of us are conditioned to think along certain lines, and we often don't really question that conditioning or try to see things from someone else's point of view and try to understand the issue from all sides. Although it can sometimes be an uphill battle, we do good by talking these things out and teaching others about the things we see and know but they don't.

Both sides have a point, but since there's so much emotion involved in issues like this (usually related to things like cultural or national pride, and again, ethnocentrism, which goes all ways), we have to be very diplomatic in the way we go about discussing them, so as not to needlessly offend anyone. Don'tcha think?
    I completely agree with you! I admit I was quite harsh in the words that I used. I just didn't understand how a person who speaks on his website about racism, hatred, ignorance, and bigotry could be so blatantly ethnocentric. Also, it was time for me to use my voice. The thread is completely unnecessary for a Disney forum and it seemed to me that it was coming from a place of hatred and ethnocentrism more than just complaining. It was not just this thread that I had a problem with. It was other threads this person started that led me to believe the things that I, maybe too freely, expressed about him. I don't regret it too much though. But, I do apologize if I offended anyone in the process or scared anyone into thinking that micechat is a place like this. That's another reason it made me so mad is because micechat is not a place for this kind of topic...and now that I type that I realize that maybe I should have just ignored it in the first place. But, I didn't feel I could be silent in this case.........and it comes as NO surprise to me that you and I share the same birthday!

Comment

...and the birthday of one Kevin Smith....aka Silent Bob!

Comment

Other places you can find me:

Digg
        Steam

Comment

There are maps available at City Hall in a variety of languages.
          Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
          Help support the site you love:
          -Visit the MiceChat store
          Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
          MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Who cares- some people don't listen to it no matter what language it is in.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad
                However, I don't understand why they are only in English and Spanish
                Its quite simple. Hispanics are on their way to becoming the largest demographic group in SoCal.

This isn't obvious to those who live in SoCal, but it is to those who visit from, say Colorado (which is 20% Hispanic). Once you exit the airport, its like, wow everyone is Hispanic. And they speak Spanish. In many ways channel 62's billboard (Los Angeles, Mexico) makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfreeek
                  Imagine going on thunder and having the Howdy guy speaking in spanish with a western twang. I shudder to think it. El Howdy amigos, hango ono k hatos e visors, e crazy transportado de wilderness.
                  If I am not mistaken I swear I heard the Spanish spiel on Big Thunder Mountain at the Magic Kingdom this last January. And if I remember correctly it had the southern twang and I enjoyed it

But having never been to Disney Land I can't say whether it's there or not.

Comment

It is there. the entire speil is different!!! It starts in spanish, then goes to English.

Really, you have to expect that there will be multi lingual speils because lets face it, Disneyland is not marketed to strictly those in the USA where the primary language is English. Disney is marketed all over the world and so you have to be conscious of the fact that just because people DO learn English in other countries does not mean they all understand it. I have seen many people who ride the rides and are confused on how the seat belts work. Therefore in order to avoid accidents Disney puts the spiels in multiple langiages. THere is nothing wrong with it. You can't expect everyone to speak English the moment they start planning their trip to Disneyland.
                    Katie :yea:
                    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                    :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

On this I think I can agree - even native Spanish speakers are saying that the HM Spanish spiel sounds ridiculous and out of place, so I think Disney just needs to find another voice actor, who doesn't sound like a hokey Univision announcer, to record the spiel in the right tone.

Or...*guffaw*....they could just edit in Jack Wagner's Matterhorn Spanish spiel.....no, sorry, that'd be even funnier..... :lol:
                      My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

You wouldn't believe the safety spiel video on TDS's version of Indy. As far as I could tell, it was a portly Japanese man playing a Mexican (with subtitles in English). It was well worth waiting in line two hours for.

Comment

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think that my problem is not with multilingual speils - which I recognize are necessary given the plurality status of California (where the Latino/Hispanic population is larger than any other, although of course many of them speak perfect English) - but with any change in a speil. I actually really like the voice of the HM Spanish announcer - it's kind of cheesy and goofy, but it tickles me. The HM isn't actually spooky to anyone over the age of about 7, so I don't think it's a huge deal to break the "mood", such as it is. I mean, it's not like Paul Frees isn't still the Ghost Host I know and love. There's just some other guy saying a few lines as an aside to people whose English may not be perfect, to limit Disney's legal liability for injuries incurred due to misbehavior on a ride. No big deal.

I had a lot more trouble with the new BTMRR speil, which someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. The new guy just sounded all wrong to me. He had emphases on all the wrong syllables, he said all the wrong words..."I grew up with the old speil, dammit! How dare they?" was my first instinct, although I recognize that there are aboout a million reasons to need a new speil.

I think that this is actually the reaction of a lot of people, but they tend to blame the people who "refuse" to learn English rather than blaming themselves for being just a little bit stuck in their old ways. I know sometimes speils just have to change. I may not like it, but that's life.

Finally, I went to school in the LAUSD and was not required to learn Spanish. And now, I'm in college, and I've secured a pretty damn decent summer job with no Spanish at all. It's not as hard as some people claim it is, even in SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by neuhickman79
                            First of all...I've been hearing English(which because we are in America is ALWAYS the first language spoken in the spiels), Spanish, and Japanese in the spiels of It's a Small World since I was 6(19 years ago).

Second of all...I cannot believe the audacity of Soulquarian to come onto this board and speak about 5 words spoken in a safety spiel that are bothering you. You are so full of HATE, ethnocentrism, racism, and bigotry that I can no longer sit back and listen to this FILTH that I see on my screen almost every time you post. I don't really care too much if I'm being inflamatory in the way that I'm speaking or singling you out. Because I have experienced the same kind of discrimination from "people like you"(that's what you call people who are 'different', right Soulquarian?)for being a homosexual that I will no longer sit back and say nothing about the absolute TRAVESTY of having to live in this world with such ignorant, idiotic people as you. You have crossed so far over the line that you have made a normally very tolerant and passive person VERY angry!! I apologize to anyone else who would have to see this. But, I want you to know in front of God, YOU, and everyone reading this post that SOMEONE is going to use their voice to speak out against this hatred and ignorance that you spew out in an otherwise wonderful, happy-go-lucky website. You are an abomination to humanity. What gives you the right to say that on "this land" and in "this place" you should not speak another language or CELEBRATE another culture as our very own Walt Disney himself did so beautifully in It's a Small World. For all the people who have been silent, who have sat back, who have read your hatred, ignorance, and bigotry I speak now to tell you that you are WRONG!!! I cannot put it another way and I will not try to put it in a nicer way. Let it be known that someone of the "minority" was able to speak up in the face of your hideous words and discrimination that we have too long put up with. Say what you will, hit me with as much negative rep as you'd like. But you cannot and will not EVER silence me.

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people...In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr."

On a side note...I don't think this thread belongs anywhere near anything but the litter box. It's got nothing to do with Disneyland. You can hear the same kind of safety spiels at Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, or the airport! Complain about those too...and then remember that some of these people that pay just as much to get into Disneyland and a whole lot more to get there speak another language and have just as much RIGHT as you to be safe and know the rules of safety even though they are not priveleged enough to be born in America or know "the language of GOD" as you would have it be...English!

Overall, the spanish safety-spiels are not that big of a deal. But, your ignorance is a far greater social problem that is not solved by ignoring 5 little words...."Permane ser sentados por favor"....OH, and they're not going away just like me!

And Mr. Soulquarian from the looks of your website you are quite the hypocrite too!
                            I don't believe in Political Correctness OR this happy utopia where everyone loves each other and we all live in this one big happy world community.

There is a reason "It's a Small World" is in Fantasyland you know.

Oh and P.S.

Before anyone makes any suppositons about me, let me say right now, I am gay, I'm a registered independent voter, I hate the Republican party, I absoulutely despise and loathe George W. Bush, and I STILL HATE the Spanish spiel in the Haunted Mansion and think it doesn't belong there at all. Disneyland didn't need them for years on every attraction and they still don't need them now.
                            Last edited by Adventurer; 05-02-2005, 11:05 AM.

Comment

First of all...I've been hearing English(which because we are in America is ALWAYS the first language spoken in the spiels), Spanish, and Japanese in the spiels of It's a Small World since I was 6(19 years ago).
                              But that isn't the case for the newer safety spiels. The one on the Matterhorn is classic, plus it's short and to the point. And it takes place BEFORE you are on the attraction. HM's doesn't.

You are so full of HATE, ethnocentrism, racism, and bigotry that I can no longer sit back and listen to this FILTH that I see on my screen almost every time you post.
                              I said I hate the spanish safety spiels on calssic attractions when they ruin the atmosphere. I never said I hated Spanish Speaking People! If you think that, then when can all meet at Disneyland on 05-05-05 with all my hispanic friends and you'll see how they hate them too. This has nothing to do with race. Sapnish is a language...

I have experienced the same kind of discrimination from "people like you"(that's what you call people who are 'different', right Soulquarian?)for being a homosexual that I will no longer sit back and say nothing about the absolute TRAVESTY of having to live in this world with such ignorant, idiotic people as you.
                              Just because I said that Chrisitiantity states that Homosexuality is a sin doesn'tmake me intolerant or hateful or anti-whatever. If you don't like that, then you should take that fight up with God! And besides, I said that God's hates the sin, not the person, because someone said that Christianity was a hate group. I my little cousin writes on the wall, sure I hate that he did that. However, I still love him. Being intolerant is not believing that someone is wrong, but HATING someone because they are different. I have friends that drink and smoke, and I am VERY much against that. However, those people are still my friends, and just because they do that doesn't make them any less a friends to me. I don't agree with homosexuality, but that doesn't mean we couldn't be friends either. Why do we need to classify ourselves anyway? To me you are just a person. Not White, not Homosexual, just you. THAT is TOLERANCE!

What gives you the right to say that on "this land" and in "this place" you should not speak another language or CELEBRATE another culture as our very own Walt Disney himself did so beautifully in It's a Small World.
                              I NEVER said that. Stop twisting my words like Micheal Moore! You can speak whatever you want and that's great, but why is Disney catering to Latinos? Sure they make up a large percentage of Southern California, but a LARGE portion of that number is illegal. That's just fact. You think that have $75 a person to spend for each family? Come on now. And I got to Disneyland all the time, and I see WAY more japenese than Latinos.

It's said that if you have an opinion or don't agree with something, it makes you intolerant, racist, homophobic or whatever. We all won't agree on everything and to believe that is foolish. But at Disneyland it feels like Welcome EVERYONE IN THE WORLD... AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATINOS... That's racist. There are no Japenese spiels, even though there are more of them in the park at any given time. French people, Germans, SO MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE, but yet we single one as being more important... UN-FAIR.
                              Last edited by Soulquarian; 05-03-2005, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Moderator's Note: Moved this to the Litter Box, since it's steered off-topic into a more personal nature. Please keep in mind that if the personal attacks continue, this thread will be closed. It's your choice, folks.
                                [email protected]

Comment

Non-moderator opinion:

So there's Spanish safety spiels at Disneyland. And yeah, we notice them, because they're new and different - it's kinda thrown us out of our usual routine. But, with the higher concentration of Latino guests nowadays, it is important for Disney to cover their butts. Different cultures have different language barriers. Why are there not as many safety spiels in Japanese or Chinese? Well, keep in mind that in Asian countries, it is quite common for them to learn English. Heck, most of them are in school 6 days a week even! It might not be part of the Mexican/Latino culture to apply the same style or educational subjects such as English to their cirriculum. Each culture is different that way.

I personally don't like the Spanish spiel at Haunted Mansion. Why? Well, the guy is too loud and really stands out. Maybe if the same narrator did it, it would blend a bit better. But, in the meantime, I notice it less and less each time I ride, because I'm growing used to it. Without non-English spiels, it might actually be more disruptive. I can't imagine "cinnamon toast and tacos" no longer being served on the Matterhorn - now that I'd complain about!

A little extra safety isn't going to hurt anyone.
                                  [email protected]

Comment

i think its funny how people were kicked off the entire board for personal attacks in other posts... But theres certain people on this board that can say whatever the hell they want, and nothing happens. The thread shouldnt be closed for personal attacks, that person should be booted. Why dont the rules apply to everyone? Seems descriminatory to me.

-Lauryn

Comment

You are so full of HATE, ethnocentrism, racism, and bigotry that I can no longer sit back and listen to this FILTH that I see on my screen almost every time you post.
                                      (First, note that im not pin-pointing any one person, otherwise that would be considered as a personal attack.)

NO... people are just not really reading anything anyones saying. WOW, SOOOO many other people think the same on THIS THREAD but someone wants to PERSONALLY ATTACK another person because he disagrees with homosexuality in ANOTHER THREAD. I find it amusing that certain people were so upset that christians "forced" their beliefs on homosexuals but they want to go around and do the same to others. When someones against being gay, these certain people snap back, claiming how its right.. sounds like your forcing your views on others. THIS IS TO ALL PEOPLE... Dont get mad when someone has a different opinion than you. Everyone has that right, just like you have the right to be whatever sexuality you choose or whatever. And dont get mad just because your argument isnt convincing enough to have everyone thinking the same thing. This is a debate, if everyone thought the same way, this board would be boring and full os "yes" "i agree" "yup" "uh huh" and "no kidding" 's. Thats boring. We're here to talk about disney and the park. Likes and dislikes.
                                      Relax
                                      Last edited by luvsongthatnvrends; 05-03-2005, 10:42 AM.

-Lauryn

Comment

You guys have never even seen video or sound of Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Disneyland?

While DLP does it much more than TDL, both parks have elements where more than one language is being seen or spoken at a time. And judging by the comments so far, the overseas DLs are much more immersive and detailed experience than the American parks have been until arguably DL at it's recent point.

Comment

I'm sorry but this should have been moved the moment someone chose to attack someone personally a couple days ago-

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X