This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking pictures of your ride picture and with hats in the store

Ok, so I have to say, this really bugs me. This weekend I went to Disneyland and I could not believe how many people were taking pictures with hats they had no intention of buying. I wanted crazy hat pictures, so you know what I did, I bought one. I was also appalled to find that people were taking pictures of the photos taken on the ride. I wanted a picture like that, so do you know what I did? I bought it. Perhaps it is just me and the fact that I am uptight, but to me that is no different than stealing. You get the benefit of the "product" without shelling out the cash. Does anyone out there agree with me?
    sigpic

Re: Taking pictures of your ride picture and with hats in the store

I agree. I think it's weird to go into a store, put something on and to take a picture of yourself wearing it with no intention of buying the used item. I've heard of this happening with the hats but I've never seen it.
    http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
    www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
    http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

I can see your point with the ride photos, but have to disagree about the hats. Sometimes you think a hat is cool enough or goofy weird enough to try on, but not so much so that you would want to purchase it as you wouldn't really wear it. Taking a picture of a hat on your head is not the same as stealing because you don't get the benefit of actually keeping the hat.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Most of us who do photo trip reports throw in ride photos, you know. If it's not prevented by the stores Cast Members (it's not attractions business) then it's ok.
        You're never going to get a good photo from those monitors. The resolution is terrible. It's just fun to get a general idea of what it looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
          I can see your point with the ride photos, but have to disagree about the hats. Sometimes you think a hat is cool enough or goofy weird enough to try on, but not so much so that you would want to purchase it as you wouldn't really wear it. Taking a picture of a hat on your head is not the same as stealing because you don't get the benefit of actually keeping the hat.
          I see your point, but you do get to see yourself in the hat on film, so you do gain some benefit from it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
            Most of us who do photo trip reports throw in ride photos, you know. If it's not prevented by the stores Cast Members (it's not attractions business) then it's ok.
            I know people do throw in ride photos, but to me I think that is is a little dishonest if you don't purchase them. As for something being ok because no one prevents it, that could be a cause for trouble.
            sigpic

Comment

those crazy hats shouldn't even be bought, that is the definition of waste of money, my group actually makes fun of anyone we see who has bought one....ears are exceptional though
              http://www.myspace.com/nygard33

Comment

We have seen this happen with the hats and photos every time we go to the park. LOL, after we see someone do the hat thing we say, "OK, I don't want that hat that's been on their head." Who knows what's going on with their hair (lice??). And as for the photos, we just chuckle and shake our head.

It bugs us too.
                "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

sigpic

Comment

Well I actually bought ears, but my cousins bought some outrageous hats.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bloodnswash View Post
                    We have seen this happen with the hats and photos every time we go to the park. LOL, after we see someone do the hat thing we say, "OK, I don't want that hat that's been on their head." Who knows what's going on with their hair (lice??). And as for the photos, we just chuckle and shake our head.

It bugs us too.

YEAH!
                    sigpic

Comment

I take a photo of the ride photo every time I ride Tower. CM's have seen me do it just about every time and they don't stop me. I even ASKED a CM once if it was against the rules and she said no. Once I am stopped by a CM, then I will respectfully stop.

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
                      You're never going to get a good photo from those monitors. The resolution is terrible. It's just fun to get a general idea of what it looked like.
                      yes, the picture of the picture is definantly not the same quality as the real picture and doesn't come in the souvenir folder. If the CM's don't say anything, I don't see what the big deal is.

As for taking hat pictures, I've only done it once with my boy. He loves doing it and I take photos of his fun. I don't see anything wrong with it and it doesn't bother me when others do it.

Ta Da!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Mouse View Post
                        I was also appalled to find that people were taking pictures of the photos taken on the ride. I wanted a picture like that, so do you know what I did? I bought it. Perhaps it is just me and the fact that I am uptight, but to me that is no different than stealing. You get the benefit of the "product" without shelling out the cash. Does anyone out there agree with me?
                        Well, its not like I'm jumping behind the register, using their ink and paper to make a quality print, and running off with it.

If the ride has only my whole party in it, I will buy it. I will never pay for a photo with strangers in it (until maybe Disney prorates the prices to match party members/riders ratio)

Photopass basically gives away preview versions of the pictures online, taking pictures of the preview screens on the rides is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Mouse View Post
                          I know people do throw in ride photos, but to me I think that is is a little dishonest if you don't purchase them. As for something being ok because no one prevents it, that could be a cause for trouble.
                          I guess my main point was that the screens are low resolution (NTSC standard, which is about 640 x 480) so you're not going to be able to reproduce them. People will purchase the pictures they like. Otherwise, they can keep their low-res approximation of the image for fun.

Comment

I understand hats just because its just silly fun. Doesn't hurt the hat none. It's like taking a picture of yourself next to a funny sign. It's a different story if the store is really busy, come back another time and let people wanting to spend money spend it.

As for ride pictures...yeah, it doesn't smack of stealing to me. I know it's bad resolution and such, but so are pirated movies. I just wish Disney would stop trying to sell them for so much or make them free like Buzz's. Or at least let you put them on those fancy new photopasses they have now.
                            Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Rex View Post
                              Well, its not like I'm jumping behind the register, using their ink and paper to make a quality print, and running off with it.

If the ride has only my whole party in it, I will buy it. I will never pay for a photo with strangers in it (until maybe Disney prorates the prices to match party members/riders ratio)

Photopass basically gives away preview versions of the pictures online, taking pictures of the preview screens on the rides is the same.
                              Good Point! I forgot about the new Photopass. I have only used it once for the MC 2 year anniversary pic in January and was surprised that they allowed online viewing for free (for a short period of time of course).

Ta Da!

Comment

I think adding ride photos to the photopass is the next logical step and I doubt it will be very long before that happens.

As for hats... my wife and I have been married for almost 4 years now and we just noticed the bride and groom ears they have. So this last trip we threw a pair on and got a quick photo. We're certainly not going to buy them because we aren't bride and groom anymore. We aren't newlyweds and we're not on our honeymoon. But the picture is cute. Disney doesn't lose a penny because we took that photo. Nothing was stolen.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

This again? This is what....the 3rd...4th time this has come up?

There is no law against taking your picture with merchandice. There is no law that says you cannot take a picture of merchandice unless you buy it first. If Disney had issues with it, some one would stop patrons from taking pictures of merchandice without payment.

Has as been discussed before, tying something on does not damage the merchandice. Do you try on clothes before you buy them? Do other people try on the same clothes if you don't buy that item? I don't see Mervins or TJ Max going "Oh my gosh you tried on that dress and so did 40 other people now we can't sell it because you've touched it." The only difference is you didn't take a picture of yourself wearing the dress. Oh wait!!! When my daughter was in high school she and some of her friends took picturs of themselves trying on dresses for a dance so they could figure out which ones from which store they liked!!! Oh my gosh they should of been arrested on the spot!

I for one will continue to take pictures of myself and my family in funny hats that I may or may not buy. If you don't want your picture taken in a funny hat for no reason other than the fun of it DON'T DO IT. I will also continue to take pictures of the ride photos with my little digital camera until Disney tells me I can't. If you don't want to take the picture, don't.

As for taking the pictures of the rides... again... if Disney doesn't care why should anyone else. Like mrfantasmic said, your not going to get a great, high quality photo taking a snap shot of it. The lighting and quality is poor, and Disney knows this. They realize that if you want the good pic you'll pay for it. Maybe some people have the money to fork over...what is it now... $12.00 per picture for every ride photo they want but I'm usually on a tight budget, and just GETTING to Disneyland eats a lot of my money, and I'd rather use the money to eat than for a photo.

Again.... sorry if I am coming off has mean spirited, but everytime this comes up I just get tired of the attitude that those of us who take pictures of merchandice are some how lower class citizens or criminals.

And if someone can or wants to hunt up the links to threads on this topic that have been posted before... please do.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                  all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Pengy....:bow:

Thank you...

Ta Da!

Comment

Penguin, that post was awesome. I loved the beating the dead horse graphic. That made my day. Excellent examples with the dress shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                                        I think adding ride photos to the photopass is the next logical step and I doubt it will be very long before that happens.
                                        I believe they are testing it at WDW. One of the rides DID have a photopass scanner, but I dont remember... (test track maybe...)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X