Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

The dramatic unities of time and place that I have insisted need to be established between Main Street, U.S.A. and Disney's California are finally being addressed. However, in order for the new version of Disney's California to work effectively, Main Street, U.S.A. needs to undergo its own adjustments.

What particular ways can Main Street, U.S.A. help Disney's California tell a single story?

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

I say it's fine - it's Anytown essential, but DCA is going to be california themed...no changes at all I say.

Comment

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
      The dramatic unities of time and place that I have insisted need to be established between Main Street, U.S.A. and Disney's California are finally being addressed. However, in order for the new version of Disney's California to work effectively, Main Street, U.S.A. needs to undergo its own adjustments.

What particular ways can Main Street, U.S.A. help Disney's California tell a single story?

They are two separate parks...

Comment

Well, obviously, some changes are implicit in the announcement that was made earlier this month.

The Disneyland Opera House is no longer going to host The Walt Disney Story, or any version of it. So, that change will certainly make Main Street, U.S.A. stronger, creatively-speaking.

Comment

Removing the California state flag from Town Square is also a good next step.

Comment

Well, obviously, some changes are implicit in the announcement that was made earlier this month.

The Disneyland Opera House is no longer going to host The Walt Disney Story, or any version of it. So, that change will certainly make Main Street, U.S.A. stronger, creatively-speaking.
            Main Street USA still suffers thematically as long as the Steve Martin 50th Anniversary film sticks around.

I don't think Disney's California Adventure needs to have any effect on Disneyland. Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom is a serperate entity altogether, and connecting the two parks in anyway way - thematically or otherwise - would be a bad move.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

As they are two separate parks I see no reason to change MS-USA at all. DLR does not have the room that Florida does and so the parks are indeed closer to each other than say WDW, but they are separate, individual parks. Changes in one, do not nessesitate changes in the other. If WDW made major changes in Animal Kingdom, it would not mean something at Magic Kingdom would have to change as well, or Epcot, etc...the same is true for DLR.

Although Main Street is supposed to depict "Anytown, USA" it is physically in the State of California and so respectfully, and rightly so, the state flag is flown next to the United States flag.

You seem to have this assumption that because your own opinion feels it should be one way AND you have "insisted" it should be so then the rest of the world and the Disney powers that be, should hop into line with you.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
                Main Street USA still suffers thematically as long as the Steve Martin 50th Anniversary film sticks around.
                You'll get no argument from me there. But, I wouldn't be so quick to suggest that Main Street, U.S.A. is beyond improvement, otherwise.

For instance, a small detail that detracts from the story is a railway map of California hanging in the lobby of Main Street Station.

In order to support the story, I'd like to see a map of Santa Fe's Grand Canyon Route there, instead. The Grand Canyon Route extended from Chicago (Walt Disney's birthplace) to Kansas City and from Kansas City to Los Angeles, so such a show element suggests that Disney's California and The Magic Kingdom are two sides to the same coin since Walt Disney left Middle America for California from a depot presumably like Main Street Station.
                Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                  As they are two separate parks I see no reason to change MS-USA at all. DLR does not have the room that Florida does and so the parks are indeed closer to each other than say WDW, but they are separate, individual parks. Changes in one, do not nessesitate changes in the other. If WDW made major changes in Animal Kingdom, it would not mean something at Magic Kingdom would have to change as well, or Epcot, etc...the same is true for DLR.

Although Main Street is supposed to depict "Anytown, USA" it is physically in the State of California and so respectfully, and rightly so, the state flag is flown next to the United States flag.
                  True. And both parks happen to be in the USA and depict different aspects of the US, so maybe we should acvocate the removal of the American Flag as well.

Comment

I wonder if Main Street should fly the American flag of the year it is trying to depict.

Comment

Without getting sidetracked, let's remember that the place is Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A., not Main Street, Anaheim, California, U.S.A.

Walt Disney described Main Street, U.S.A. as "everyone's hometown". His hometown was in Middle America, though. So, a California state flag is as out of place as a French flag would be in Town Square at Disneyland Paris or a Chinese flag would be in Town Square at Hong Kong Disneyland.
                      Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

You'll get no argument from me there. But, I wouldn't be so quick to suggest that Main Street, U.S.A. is beyond improvement, otherwise.

For instance, a small detail that detracts from the story is a railway map of California hanging in the lobby of Main Street Station.

In order to support the story, I'd like to see a map of Santa Fe's Grand Canyon Route there, instead. The Grand Canyon Route extended from Chicago (Walt Disney's birthplace) to Kansas City to Los Angeles, so such a show element suggests that Disney's California and The Magic Kingdom are two sides to the same coin since Walt Disney left middle America for California from a depot presumably like Main Street Station.
                        Did Walt also travel through the primevil world? That show element obviously suggests that DLR and the local tar pits are two sides of the same coin!

Regardless of Walt's route to the golden state, the two parks are independent from each other and changes of theme in one, do not mean changes are needed in the other.

Comment

Without getting sidetracked, let's remember that the place is Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A., not Main Street, Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
                          You mentioned it, so how is it a sidetrack? Disneyland is indeed private property, but it is not a sovreign nation. They can call it "Disneyland, U.S.A." if they like, that does not change the fact that DLR is physically located in Anaheim, CALIFORNIA.

Comment

You seem to have this assumption that because your own opinion feels it should be one way AND you have "insisted" it should be so then the rest of the world and the Disney powers that be, should hop into line with you.

Good call G-D!

Yeah, if someone wants to "insist" on changes with a Park, they should write a check to start their own park and then they can "insist" all they want.

Until then, they should make their "suggestions" to the Suits and let THEM decide on what to do...

Comment

Regardless of Walt's route to the golden state, the two parks are independent from each other and changes of theme in one, do not mean changes are needed in the other.

I agree!

Comment

You mentioned it, so how is it a sidetrack? Disneyland is indeed private property, but it is not a sovreign nation. They can call it "Disneyland, U.S.A." if they like, that does not change the fact that DLR is physically located in Anaheim, CALIFORNIA.
                                Took the words out of my mouth there...

And so Prag understands, the last time I checked California is in the U.S.A.

Comment

Certain things, like the stanchions in Town Square that support the stage lights, detract from the believability of Main Street, U.S.A., so, generally-speaking, as this part of Disneyland becomes stronger, Disney's California, itself, will be made stronger, too.

Comment

The only changes on Mainstreet should be if a particular attraction/shop would work better in the remodeled DCA entryway. If so, then move it there and put in something else.
                                    Right now, I can't think of anything on Mainstreet that would work better in LA town, so why change it? I can't think of any mainstreet changes that are dependent on the new stuff.

Aside: I'd love a theater in the Walt Plaza where you could sit and watch the old Mickey and Donald Cartoons, not the original black and whites like currently shown on mainstreet, but a real theater venue to sit with a big screen and another cartoon shown every 10 minutes. You could sit there for half an hour and relax while being well-entertained and taking a break. Sell some sodas and popcorn.
                                    "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

I'd like to see a new attraction replace the Mickey Mouse shorts that are currently playing at the Main Street Cinema.

Walt Disney saw his first film relatively late in life, and that movie was a silent adaptation of the Grimms' transcription of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Disney developed an interest in filmmaking and animation during these formative years, so what better place is there to tell this part of the story than in a small-town cinema?

Comment

Certain things, like the stanchions in Town Square that support the stage lights, detract from the believability of Main Street, U.S.A., so, generally-speaking, as this part of Disneyland becomes stronger, Disney's California, itself, will be made stronger, too.
                                        So...changing and/or eliminating the stanchions in Town Square will help DSA? Wow...just...wow.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X