Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by MasterGracey View Post
    [bold mine]

The moment they added the Partners monument in the Central Plaza in 1993, they changed the park from being a WDI-created theme park into a WDI-created theme park dedicated to Walt Disney, his vision, and his ideals.

And the moment they announced DCA's Sunshine Plaza's transformation into Walt Disney Plaza, they realigned the purpose of that park to being a tribute to Walt Disney's life as a pioneer of the film industry.

So while you think neither park should be an homage to Walt Disney, they clearly are.
    Hear Hear!!:bow:
    Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

Comment

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Wow - that was quite the discussion... To the original point - What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling? - I say nothing needs to be done as part of the DCA remodeling.

To me it is a separate park - separate issue. I do think there is work to be done in Main Street. As many have pointed out there are fixes - thematic and otherwise, as well as some return to older items/looks. By linking these as "part" of the DCA remodel I get an implied vision in the OP that the two entryways need to be in some cosmic syzygy where they support and enhance each other in some uniform synergistic methodology.

If that is the case then I'd say - no they really don't, but if that could be achieved somehow without sacrificing but enhancing (whatever that may be) what currently is Main Street, then it is worthy of consideration.

On the other hand - maybe it is only "part of" because the money is available?

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Originally posted by DCAFTW View Post
        Here's one

oooo here's a great one.

The fact that he is arrogant and condescending isn't really in contention here. It's pretty clear.
        I don't always agree with Prag. See my posts on this very thread. But I have no problem meeting him on the field of debate and have never considered his replies to be condescending. I respect his love of Disneyland, as it reflects my own, and his deeper understanding of it as not just great entertainment, but great art. His intentions are quite clear and consistent: he wants to improve the park(s) by more closely following the guidelines set down by their original creator, Walt Disney.

We may not all agree with his interpretations, but we cannot fault his motives.
        Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

[quote=Pressler69;2289383]
          That's why people call me a pedophile and other vile names for being so into Disneyland and going to the park so often
          Uh....well...wow. That may be the single most disturbing thing I've ever read on this board. Dude, if "people" call you a pedophile and other vile names, you need to take a real hard look at your life. I'm sensing the fact that you may enjoy swinging by Disneyland to go on a few rides may not be the cause.

We all know plenty of people who visit the park on a regular basis and have never heard any of them called these names.

Mirror check time.

Comment

Originally posted by rgrant999 View Post
            We all know plenty of people who visit the park on a regular basis and have never heard any of them called these names.
            Could this be because you stay within the safe confines of Disney fandom?

While those insults have been a bit on the extreme, if you go outside Disney fandom you'll find many people who think you're "weird" if you enjoy Disneyland too much for their tastes. They might not think you're a pedophile, but they might think less of you in general for enjoying a "kiddie park".

I have no problem looking in the mirror. There is nothing I have done in my life to suggest any wrongdoing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pressler69 View Post
              Could this be because you stay within the safe confines of Disney fandom?

While those insults have been a bit on the extreme, if you go outside Disney fandom you'll find many people who think you're "weird" if you enjoy Disneyland too much for their tastes. They might not think you're a pedophile, but they might think less of you in general for enjoying a "kiddie park".

I have no problem looking in the mirror. There is nothing I have done in my life to suggest any wrongdoing.
              I've noticed with myself all my friends and family are locals. If they are not into Disneyland at least they understand that there are those that exist who do and they all just accept them for just that. They never make a huge issue out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                I've noticed with myself all my friends and family are locals. If they are not into Disneyland at least they understand that there are those that exist who do and they all just accept them for just that. They never make a huge issue out of it.
                I'm not necessarily talking about just your friends and family. I'm talking about when the topic of Disney comes up on other message boards not about Disneyland, on TV, on radio, whatever. Outside of Disney fandom, Disney is "gay" and people who are into it too much are "weird". I listened to a radio show the other day where a guy went to WDW by himself and he was called all sorts of names. I see stuff like that all the time.

I'm not saying that people are personally calling me names on a daily basis, but I have been insulted in the past for having an above average interest in Disneyland, once by a family member, and once by a stranger, while at Disneyland!

Comment

I am not here to discuss how to cope with people that don't share your enthusiasm with Disneyland. But what I do have to say is that those who believe that Disneyland is only for kids are sadly mistaken and are in the wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DieFR View Post
                    But what I do have to say is that those who believe that Disneyland is only for kids are sadly mistaken and are in the wrong.
                    And there are, in my estimation, a lot of those people who think Disneyland is just for kids. Part of the fault lies with Disney, whose marketing and management teams treat Disneyland as a kiddie park, not as a work of art that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. That is my point.

I have no problem coping with people who do not share my enthusiasm about Disneyland, for the record.

Comment

And there goes your thread...
                      MiceChat User #1037

Comment

[bold mine]

The moment they added the Partners monument in the Central Plaza in 1993, they changed the park from being a WDI-created theme park into a WDI-created theme park dedicated to Walt Disney, his vision, and his ideals.

And the moment they announced DCA's Sunshine Plaza's transformation into Walt Disney Plaza, they realigned the purpose of that park to being a tribute to Walt Disney's life as a pioneer of the film industry.

So while you think neither park should be an homage to Walt Disney, they clearly are.
                        Well hey, I'm not trying to discourage that his ideals and pioneering of the industry shouldn't be preserved in the park. Far from it... I'm an enormous admirer of everything he's done. Why else would I be posting here, you know? I think you misunderstood my post though.

You can still preserve all of these ideals without having to directly theme anything based off of himself. I'm saying it's important not to get caught up into treating these parks as museums or memorials, because they are theme parks. Of course nobody knows what Walt would've wanted, but from what we know of his modest personality (present in Mickey, too), would he really have been pleased to walk into his own park and see his life plastered everywhere, or would he want to see innovative new attractions and theming that had one purpose, which was to entertain families? If you can theme it to Walt's life and make it entertaining to everyone as well, then I'm all for it.

But what I'm trying to say is that it's more effective to preserve Walt's ideals and visions by not changing the parks into a one-man dedication, and rather into an evolution of what he originally intended it to be: a place where everybody could enjoy themselves for a day.

Great ideas and great theming is the homage to Walt Disney. And I'm also not saying that they should avoid putting history into their theming. I'm saying we should hold back on putting too much emphasis on the man himself as part of the new content of the parks, just so we don't eventually lose focus on what they are really supposed to represent as entertainment.
                        Last edited by scorsese; 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Actually I don't think it's that far off topic, Circarama. I was just about to link it back to the OP by saying that the fact that advertising often shows young children enjoying the Mad Tea Party and Dumbo and (most recently) having their Disney Dreams come true, the adult population might interpret this to mean that the park offers nothing of interest to guests beyond the age of 10 or 12. And it is very much the type of historical details like those found on Main Street that disprove that kind of logic.

Now that DCA is being converted into what I have seen explained as "a second Disneyland," the target audience of the park is allegedly going to mimic that of Disneyland's - ALL ages, not just children.

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
                            And there goes your thread...
                            Oh, I apologize. I'll get this thread back on track.

Hey PragmaticIdealist! You are an idiot and your ideas are so stupid! Please stop thinking about Disneyland on any level above "woooooo! carsland!!! :yea::thumbup::yea:"

Is that better?

Comment

^Good points. And back on track.
                              Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
                                ^Good points. And back on track.
                                they should add philarmagic to main st! :yea:and the Muppets! :yea:and a loop! :yea:

Comment

BigThunder was referring to my post, Pressler69, not yours.

Comment

No he wasn't. He was respondining to MY post!

Originally posted by Pressler69
                                    Hey PragmaticIdealist! You are an idiot...
                                    Joking or not, this is a good example of a personal attack...

...and this isn't.
                                    Originally posted by Pressler69
                                    and your ideas are so stupid!
                                    We can slam the idea, but let's not slam the person who had the idea. Okay? Thanks.
                                    MiceChat User #1037

Comment

My sentiment still stands. It sucks to see a guy post a thread with a little more substance than the 16,000 "HOW CROWDED IS IT GONNA BE?!?!" threads get crapped on.

Comment

I'm not impressed by the majority of posts in this thread either, mostly because the points are not very well backed up, but that doesn't mean I'm going to derail the thread more by mocking them.

Comment

While I don't agree with all of Prag's ideas, I think his intentions are good. Improving and plussing the show is a practice that should be on-going.
                                          agreed.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X