Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by animagusurreal View Post
    What PI's suggested with flags, I think, would be a simple and (presumably) inexpensive move towards more authenticity. Why do we specifically need a California flag in Town Square? Put it across the street in DCA, where it will be thematically appropriate. I don't see how replacing the current American flag with a period American flag is in any way disrespectful to the U.S.A. during the Flag Retreat Ceremony - it's still the American flag, just a previous version of it.
    After considerable deliberation, I have decided that it would be okay with me (since it's all about me, right?)) if the California flag wasn't flown over Main Street USA. But it should be flown over DCA immediately.

I also looked into whether flying a period flag would be considered "okay" with the folks who care about such things, although I can't speak for residents of states that were admitted after 1910, such as New Mexico(1912), Arizona(1912), Alaska(1959), and Hawaii(1959)

Here's what I found:

Charlie :wave:
    MiceChat User #1037

Comment

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
      His first post was "inaccurate?" How so?

Most of the people who disagree with PI sum up their "arguments" this way: "That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard," Or, "I don't get what the heck you're talking about." PI responds to these by continuing to try and expound his idea.

I see no reason for him to come out and state--as you seem to wish--"You know, you're right! I see your point. That is the stupidest idea I've ever had! Ha ha!! Where the heck did I get that from?? Maybe I read too much."

He is under no obligation to agree that his ideas are wrong, stupid, not-well-though-out, or any other description. Why do so many think he does have that obligation?
      I'm really disappointed with this post. Not only are you jumping on seasnake for obviously using the wrong word to describe the initial post, you're mis-characterizing the vast majority of the replies here.

I feel that as the creator of this thread, PI DOES have a responsibility to address dissenting points of view. He is also under no obligation to agree with anyone here, but it would be helpful if that position was expressed and defended.

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
        After considerable deliberation, I have decided that it would be okay with me (since it's all about me, right?)) if the California flag wasn't flown over Main Street USA. But it should be flown over DCA immediately.

I also looked into whether flying a period flag would be considered "okay" with the folks who care about such things, although I can't speak for residents of states that were admitted after 1910, such as New Mexico(1912), Arizona(1912), Alaska(1959), and Hawaii(1959)

Here's what I found:

Good find Circa. Seeing that it is appropriate I'd love to see more flag around the different lands. A respectful "futuristic" one in Tomorrowland would be neat as well.

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by composerboy View Post
          [...]you're mis-characterizing the vast majority of the replies here.
          If that's what he means, I think that's even more ridiculous. And I'm getting really tired of people having to explain what PI REALLY means. I shouldn't have to read between the lines or read his posts 5 or 6 times to glean their true meaning.

Comment

Just to be clear, I said THE MAJORITY HAVE FOUND HIS FIRST POST INNACCURATE. I've read this whole dang thread and most people, while willing to admit that Main Street could benefit from improvement, there is no need to change Main Street BECAUSE of DCA. You've said it to me, Datameister, GoofyDaddy, Composerboy, in fact, most people besides PI don't have said at some point they don't see the direct tie-in.

The fact he doesn't acknowledge the majority viewpoint on this thread expressed, again, not agree with, makes it frustrating.
            "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

The thread asked a fairly simple question at the outset. What, if anything, do you believe may need to be done to Main Street, U.S.A. as part of the recently-announced remodeling of D.C.A.?

Only a smattering of people have responded to the question with actual answers, however.

I've offered relatively simple suggestions, and I was soliciting others from thoughtful people. Do you have anything to contribute, yourself?

The Inner Lobby and the Main Entry Plaza haven't really been discussed much, yet, but they are both important, too. So, feel free to start there, if you like.
              Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                Good find Circa. Seeing that it is appropriate I'd love to see more flag around the different lands. A respectful "futuristic" one in Tomorrowland would be neat as well.

Chad
                Ooooooooooooooooo, how many stars would it have? And why?

Circarama grabs steering wheel on train and jerks violently to the left...
                MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                  The thread asked a fairly simple question at the outset. What, if anything, do you believe may need to be done to Main Street, U.S.A. as part of the recently-announced remodeling of D.C.A.?

Only a smattering of people have responded to the question with actual answers, however.

I've offered relatively simple suggestions, and I was soliciting others from thoughtful people. Do you have anything to contribute, yourself?

The Inner Lobby and the Main Entry Plaza haven't really been discussed much, yet, but they are both important, too. So, feel free to consider those spaces in relationship to the new Disney's California.

Perhaps the answer is Disneyland needs to focus on it's nostalgic feel of USA. DCA can do the same thing but focus on Main Street, California.

Comment

Originally posted by Circarama View Post
                    Ooooooooooooooooo, how many stars would it have? And why?

Circarama grabs steering wheel on train and jerks violently to the left...

Good question. Perhaps the stars would reflect countries as a unified earth. Wishful thinking, but that's what tomorrow is all about.

Comment

The Inner Lobby and the Main Entry Plaza haven't really been discussed much, yet, but they are both important, too. So, feel free to consider those spaces in relationship to the new Disney's California.
                      And as if on cue, PI rolls in and dispatches another gem. This post is so oblique and pointless, it looks as if it were spit out by an "Artificial Intelligence" conversation response generator.

"The Inner Lobby" and "Main Entry Plaza?" Seriously.

And there have been far more constructive responses to your query than not.

Comment

I really think it would be the best use of available capital to make the necessary improvements where they are going to improve profits first... which, of course, is DCA. If there is anything left after the DCA improvements are accomplished, that would be an appropriate time to start delving into other areas of the Resort.

I don't want to see DCA suffer at the cost of trying to tie the 2 Parks together. It needs all the help it can get!

Fo' shiggity!!
                        MiceChat User #1037

Comment

I really think it would be the best use of available capital to make the necessary improvements where they are going to improve profits first... which, of course, is DCA. If there is anything left after the DCA improvements are accomplished, that would be an appropriate time to start delving into other areas of the Resort.

I don't want to see DCA suffer at the cost of trying to tie the 2 Parks together. It needs all the help it can get!
                          Quite agree. Limited funds mean setting priorities, and I'd rather that Tommorrowland/Fantasyland get some attention then Main Street, and then only after the DCA stuff has been finished and there is a solid, revenue generating piece of real estate across the way.
                          "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

Originally posted by seasnake View Post
                            Limited funds mean setting priorities, and I'd rather that Tommorrowland/Fantasyland get some attention then Main Street, and then only after the DCA stuff has been finished and there is a solid, revenue generating piece of real estate across the way.
                            Exactly! Once DCA gets turned around and starts making money instead of losing money, all of the other improvement doors open, very much like they did in the late 1950's when Walt completely rebuilt Tomorrowland, and then Frontierland, and then added New Orleans Square. Everytime he spent more, he got more back.

It's a domino effect, and revenue is the trigger.
                            MiceChat User #1037

Comment

The Inner Lobby and the Main Entry Plaza haven't really been discussed much, yet, but they are both important, too. So, feel free to start there, if you like.
                              I think the problem that some folks are having Prag, is that they disagree with your basic premise. You present it as self-evident that Main St needs to be re-themed to better match what is being planned for DCA. Many here don't seem willing to buy into that premise and so cannot offer constructive ideas on ways to bring it about.

Your continuing to soldier-on with that premise despite many, many dissenting opinions regarding its validity shows admirable focus, but also a certain blindness to the opinions of others.

Perhaps it would be more constructive to first ask: Should Main St be re-themed to better match the new Walt Disney Plaza in DCA?

Taking this very large and obviously contentious point as a given is only asking for trouble.
                              Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

And as if on cue, PI rolls in and dispatches another gem. This post is so oblique and pointless, it looks as if it were spit out by an "Artificial Intelligence" conversation response generator.

"The Inner Lobby" and "Main Entry Plaza?" Seriously.

And there have been far more constructive responses to your query than not.
                                And, as if on cue, you simply dismiss the post as pointless, and fail to address the question asked.

And by the way, The "Inner Lobby" was a desgin concept employed by Disney and his imagineers--not something PI just made up to confound you personally, or to sound "pompous." If one thing can be said, PI speaks from a deep well of knowledge about the park's history and design. Your dismissal of the term indicates to me that you are not as educated in the subject as PI. In fact, you just might learn something from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                  And, as if on cue, you simply dismiss the post as pointless, and fail to address the question asked.

And by the way, The "Inner Lobby" was a desgin concept employed by Disney and his imagineers--not something PI just made up to confound you personally, or to sound "pompous." If one thing can be said, PI speaks from a deep well of knowledge about the park's history and design. Your dismissal of the term indicates to me that you are not as educated in the subject as PI. In fact, you just might learn something from him.
                                  Or, perhaps, using obscure terms without explaining them is a good way to shut off a conversation.

I think BigThunder gets it right:
                                  I think the problem that some folks are having Prag, is that they disagree with your basic premise. You present it as self-evident that Main St needs to be re-themed to better match what is being planned for DCA. Many here don't seem willing to buy into that premise and so cannot offer constructive ideas on ways to bring it about.
                                  The way PI presents his opinions as if they should be obvious to anyone who cares about Disney gets on peoples nerves. Its as if hes saying that unless you agree with him you don't care enough. I reject that. And so do most people.
                                  Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
                                    Perhaps it would be more constructive to first ask: Should Main St be re-themed to better match the new Walt Disney Plaza in DCA?

Taking this very large and obviously contentious point as a given is only asking for trouble.
                                    That question is probably best left a subject for another thread, especially considering the fact that the company has committed a large part of the $1.1 billion to this integration.

I understand that many people despise D.C.A. And, I know several of them adore Disneyland. So, naturally, they bristle at any thought of the child of The Magic Kingdom actually determining changes to the original Disneyland (regardless of whether or not these changes, in turn, strengthen Disneyland, itself). But, this feeling assumes that D.C.A. is doomed to remain the child of Disneyland in perpetuity. And, I don't believe that the California park necessarily has this fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hamand View Post
                                      Or, perhaps, using obscure terms without explaining them is a good way to shut off a conversation.
                                      I don't think PI was trying to shut off a conversation at all. On the contrary, he was inviting folks to discuss these other areas, as he knows them to be called historically. Don't blame him for others ignorance of the correct names at Disneyland.

And before you go off on me for calling others ignorant, I will clearly state right here that I am one of these people. I thought I knew everything about Disneyland, but I have never heard of the "Inner Lobby".

I'm pretty sure that the "Main Entry Plaza" is what we now know as the Esplanade, but I could be wrong there as well.

A little help please...

Regarding how people perceive PI: He can sometimes come off as arrogant or condescending to folks, but he does know Disneyland. His posts are usually well though out and well written, even if they do rub people the wrong way. Like Steve DeGaetano said earlier, he won't respond to attacks (or praise either) which to me, makes him a gentleman.

Love him, or hate him, ya gotta respect him for not getting in the mud with those who attack him.
                                      MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by TheManator View Post
                                        I say it's fine - it's Anytown essential, but DCA is going to be california themed...no changes at all I say.
                                        Ditto.
                                        sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                          Or, as my 9 year old son asked me when he was old enough to first notice them, "Daddy, are there people buried here?"
                                          LOL....thats AWESOME!! Out of the mouths of babes....thanks for the laugh.....I think I will start calling the esplanade the graveyard...it does needs something.... like a big splashy fountain sounds good...maybe one with moving characters??
                                          Hello everyone!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X