Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I'd like to see a new attraction replace the Mickey Mouse shorts that are currently playing at the Main Street Cinema.

Walt Disney saw his first film relatively late in life, and that movie was a silent adaptation of the Grimms' transcription of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Disney developed an interest in filmmaking and animation during these formative years, so what better place is there to tell this part of the story than in a small-town cinema?
    I am the last person who can speak to "what Walt would do" but my opinion is if Walt wanted DL to be a reflection of his own life experiences (such as exactly what his first moving film viewing was) I would think he would have done it himself. Somehow I don't see Walt being keen on changing the Main Street he designed (or what's left of it I should say) just because the place across the street is carrying a particular theme.

I am mature and realistic enough to admit that there is a possibility of course that Walt would have been over the moon about the idea, but my opinion is he would not need or want to connect the two separate gates theme wise or in any other way. They are like two paintings...both of a similar topic, say a country lane...they can hang on the wall side by side and the roads painted on them do not have to line up.

Comment

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

What you could do is build something in between the parks that takes you from Missouri to California. All park hoppers must board the Santa Fe Railroad at Main St. Station and exit 30 seconds later at Walt Disney Plaza. How's that, Prag?

I actually think a 2 story Victorian themed hotel would look great from either park entrance. The Walt Disney Hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
        I am the last person who can speak to "what Walt would do" but my opinion is if Walt wanted DL to be a reflection of his own life experiences (such as exactly what his first moving film viewing was) I would think he would have done it himself. Somehow I don't see Walt being keen on changing the Main Street he designed (or what's left of it I should say) just because the place across the street is carrying a particular theme.
        One of the reasons those of us who lament changes for the worse are so passionate is because of comments like this one. Do you happen to realize that the Main Street Cinema was originally an homage to Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Gertie the Dinosaur? Walt Disney was specifically paying tribute to the artists who influenced him when he created Mickey Mouse.
        Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-29-2007, 08:28 PM.

Comment

There are plenty of ways they could enhance MS but why would any of those enhancements to a 1900's small town have an effect on a 1920's to 30's Los Angeles theme?
          "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

One of the reasons those of us who lament changes for the worse are so passionate is because of comments like this one. Do you happen to realize that the Main Street Cinema was originally an homage to Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Gertie the Dinosaur? Walt Disney, specifically, was paying tribute to the artists who influenced him when he created Mickey Mouse.
            "Those of us" that's great.

Paying tribute to those artists and doing what you suggested are different things however, so reach into your much lamented past all day, it doesn't change the fact that I, and apparently many others, see no logic in having to act like the themeing of both parks are or need to be connected. They don't. They are separate gates that tell a separate story. True they are connected in a tenous way by a man named Walt Disney. One was originally designed by him and the other will soon tell a story, of sorts, about his arrival in California (or at least set a stage of that time period). That fact does not connect the two separate parks by theme.

Comment

I am the last person who can speak to what Walt would do, but let me tell you what he'd say: :lol:

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
              The thing about tributes to people, they usually happen after they're dead. The deceased don't have a say in it, so even if they were too modest to want the tribute for themselves, people are more likely to say "What KIND of tribute would he have wanted" - even though the answer may be "no tribute at all". The funeral and the wake are not for the dead, its for those who're left behind.

Comment

(slightly off topic) aashee, when the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 all of the American flags were period specific. The rumor so that they could legally be flown at night without lighting, but no such laws exist. Sadly this is a detail that has fallen to the side.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                  I am the last person who can speak to what Walt would do, but let me tell you what he'd say: :lol:

The thing about tributes to people, they usually happen after they're dead. The deceased don't have a say in it, so even if they were too modest to want the tribute for themselves, people are more likely to say "What KIND of tribute would he have wanted" - even though the answer may be "no tribute at all". The funeral and the wake are not for the dead, its for those who're left behind.
                  First I CLEARLY stated I was not telling anyone what Walt would say.

Second I, nor even Prag to my recollection, ever said anything about Walt making a tribute to himself so I have no idea what you are on about. Perhaps you were laughing so hard at your first wrong assumption that you stumbled into a second one?

Comment

I've always felt that characters like Mickey Mouse detract from Main Street, U.S.A. when they are positioned in Town Square. By moving them to Central Plaza, Disney has a better chance of establishing Main Street, U.S.A. as a real place with real people. And, considering that Mickey didn't enter into Walt Disney's life until later in the story, it's important to reserve that plot point for Disney's California, itself.

In fact, a couple of years ago, I suggested in these forums a biographical walk-through and ride-through attraction for Disney's California that was entirely oriented around this single moment, which reversed Walt Disney's fortunes forever. My contention was, then, as it is, now, that the title of any such attraction needs to be: "It All Started with a Mouse". By having Mickey appear too soon, though, Disney removes all the dramatic power of that moment.

I kind of feel the same way about the statue that has been proposed for the entrance to Disney's California.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                      (slightly off topic) The rumor so that they could legally be flown at night without lighting, but no such laws exist.
                      I don't think it is an actual law, it's true, but it is very well known that to fly ones national flag at night with out illumination is very disrespectful except in extreme cases.

Comment

Paint it back to its original colors.
                        Get rid of that crammed cafe, it just makes for more traffic and groups hanging outside.

Comment

I've always felt that characters like Mickey Mouse detract from Main Street, U.S.A. when they are positioned in Town Square. By moving them to Central Plaza, Disney has a better chance of establishing Main Street, U.S.A. as a real place with real people. And, considering that Mickey didn't enter into Walt Disney's life until later in the story, it's important to reserve that plot point for Disney's California, itself.
                          I have to admit I am on the fence when it comes to this. I agree 100% that many of the characters that show up on main street are not exactly theme worthy. The front gate area or the hub would be a better place for those meet and greets IMO.

At the same time, I do recognize that many famlies really don't care about main street. They are there for the rides and to meet the characters. It is sad, but it is a fact. Disney's answer is to post some of their more popular icons there.

Afterall, the longer they stay on main street, the more chance they will go shoping in the stores right? (sigh)

Comment

I'm wondering if we will FINALLY see Oswald in either DL or the
                            "interactive Walt Disney Story" in DCA??????
                            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

In fact, a couple of years ago, I suggested in these forums a biographical walk-through and ride-through attraction for Disney's California that was entirely oriented around this single moment, which reversed Walt Disney's fortunes forever. My contention was, then, as it is, now, that the title of any such attraction needs to be: "It All Started with a Mouse". By having Mickey appear too soon, though, Disney removes all the dramatic power of that moment.

I kind of feel the same way about the statue that has been proposed for the entrance to Disney's California.
                              Um ... It's Disneyland. Only a very few people go to Main Street with the idea that they are going to experience 1900s small town life. That is the motif of the area, but really most of us steam forward towards Indy or Space Mountain, while small children run to hug Mickey and Pooh. I think you're officially being a little too purist now, guests seeing Mickey in Mainstreet will not shake their heads and say "But Walt didn't draw Mickey until after he left Marceline!" (faints with shock). Besides, if Mr. Lincoln and six Mickey cartoons can live on Mainstreet while not destroying the harmony of the park, I think we're safe.

Besides, the parade route pretty much makes it impossible for Mainstreet to be an authentic small turn of the century town. So let's allow for a little land blending, if you will, and permit Mickey to walk to mainstreet. I doubt anyone will feel the power of the mouse is diminished because you saw him next to Carnation Cafe.
                              "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

Creativity and intelligence separate Disneyland from kiddie parks. Some parents, apparently, would prefer to pander to their children.

The children, themselves, however, don't want this patronizing and condescension. They are always reaching, and the job of parents is to give them worthwhile things for which these children can reach. Walt Disney understood this principle well. He believed in it, and he evangelized it.

Adults, today, are defending the mediocrity for which Disney is becoming famous because they think of Disneyland as a kiddie park. And, that fact is the true tragedy.

Comment

The children, themselves, however, don't want this patronizing and condescension.

Adults, today, are defending the mediocrity for which Disney is becoming famous because they think of Disneyland as a kiddie park. And, that fact is the true tragedy.
                                  I tell ya...even with the fact that I agree somewhat with the idea that character M&Gs might be better if done off of main street and the fact that I agree in principal with the last part of the comment...despite all that...the first part of the comment I quoted comes off as totally arrogant.

Who are you to decide/declare what "children" want? Unless you can claim (and back it up) some type of certified expertise in child psychology or some similar field, I call BS. Even if you can claim it, I see no way that you can make that statement. If you are a parent I will allow that you can speak for what YOUR kids might want...but don't say things as if you have somehow been appointed official spokeman for that broad group. You don't know what "children themselves" want. Please.

Comment

Creativity and intelligence separate Disneyland from kiddie parks. Some parents, apparently, would prefer to pander to their children.

The children, themselves, however, don't want this patronizing and condescension. They are always reaching, and the job of parents is to give them worthwhile things for which these children can reach. Walt Disney understood this principle well. He believed in it, and he evangelized it.

I think you're giving a little too much credit to your own opinion on what you believe is mediocre and what you believe is exceptional. Although I definitely agree that theming is essential and that it should be preserved, I don't see how the park was in any way "mediocre" to me as a child. Sure, I may look back now and see its faults, but I really doubt a child will begin to ponder the authenticity of Main Street over the grandeur of seeing Mickey Mouse off the screen. :]

To be honest, as a child, I was absolutely delighted with Rocket Rods (now considered by many as an abomination) and DCA was a great deal of fun (looking about these boards, the amount of dissenters from this opinion is obvious). I think I was far less demanding, in fact, as a child than I am now as a teenager. :lol:

Comment

That's an awful high horse there buddy, why don't you come down and mingle with the common folk. It's not pandering to children to 1) think a child wants to see Mickey and 2) not worry they're seeing them in Mainstreet. Disneyland is not a Kiddie park, but it is a FAMILY park. As my earlier post indicated it has something for everyone, some dart ahead to the thrill rides, some enjoy the scenery and slow walk up the street, and some little ones go find their favorite Disney character RIGHT THERE in front of them and are thrilled to pieces. You can tell them the history of Marceline later as you walk up to central plaza, but they won't be less enriched for having a character encounter upon entering the park. Believe me, when I was a kid my best memory of Disneyland was when Mickey fed me birthday cake for his 40th birthday year, that's why I'll be coming back.
                                      It's fussy adults who like to nitpick every little thing who get all head up over this kind of thing. Why is it "mediocre" to have Mickey in town plaza? What does it ruin about mainstreet for you? What essence are you losing because Goofy threw his arm around your shoulders? If you want the early 1900s, go find an outhouse. If you want to enjoy Disney's tribute to his hometown, have fun at the happiest place on earth.

P.S. Did Walt ever say "Don't let my creations into Mainstreet, because after all Mainstreet is patterned after a time before I made them so that would be wrong?"
                                      "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

I am the last person who can speak to what children would want, but let me tell you what kids today would say

Comment

Oh please.

Kids aren't thinking "hmmm this doesn't quite fit the time period, that molding on that building is clearly from the 1920s, not the 1900s." They're thinking "OMG MICKEY, MOM I WANT A PICTURE WITH MICKEY, AND I WANT ICE CREAM."

I think some people on have completely lost touch with the spirit of the park because they nitpick tiny insignificant details. Yes Disney is in the details, but NO ONE can live up to total perfection, including Disney, and if you continue to focus on the tiny details then you are missing the whole point of Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X