Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I tell ya...even with the fact that I agree somewhat with the idea that character M&Gs might be better if done off of main street and the fact that I agree in principal with the last part of the comment...despite all that...the first part of the comment I quoted comes off as totally arrogant.

Who are you to decide/declare what "children" want? Unless you can claim (and back it up) some type of certified expertise in child psychology or some similar field, I call BS. Even if you can claim it, I see no way that you can make that statement. If you are a parent I will allow that you can speak for what YOUR kids might want...but don't say things as if you have somehow been appointed official spokeman for that broad group. You don't know what "children themselves" want. Please.
    I suggest reading Walt Disney's thoughts on the subject. These are his words. If you have a disagreement with them, then take it up with him.

I happen to agree with the guy. But, I digress. I don't want to derail my own thread.

Comment

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

What was the point of this thread again? You think Main street needs to be changed because they're changing DCA?
      "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

What about something in between the parks to continue the magic?

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
          I suggest reading Walt Disney's thoughts on the subject. These are his words. If you have a disagreement with them, then take it up with him.

I happen to agree with the guy. But, I digress. I don't want to derail my own thread.
          Although I admire Walt Disney, I'm not sure if he'd think the same thing in a different time period. It's a difficult thing to say--whether or not he'd change his mind on the subject. Even the most adamant of oaths can be broken by time. :/

I digress as well. I do think it'd be interesting to add some subtle ties between the two entrances, but I honestly think the twin Partners statues already adds that tie to some effect. I adamantly disagree with your suggestion to take down the California flag, however.

Comment

Hey, why don't we theme the ticket area so that it looks like an old coal mine, and the coal miners can sell you lumps of coal, and point the way to DCA and DL? That will make buying tickets a magical, original experience as well, and the Seven Dwarfs can sign autographs!

I don't care abou the space between, use the money on the places I'm paying to see.

Comment

Removing the California state flag from Town Square is also a good next step.
              Here we go gang.... another thread where PragmaticIdealist tries to remake Disneyland into a rigid and historically accurate version of Colonial Williamsburg instead of a theme park. http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/history/

Okay, I'll play along again.

The biggest and most glaring historical error that mars Main Street USA is the twice daily parade that trundles through. Mulan, Hercules, Lion King, Electrical Parade, giant blue whales pulling clouds, etc., etc. How do those fit the Main Street USA theme?

What about the ATM machine? The electric wheelchair rental place? All of the merchandise for sale in all of the shops? The glow necklaces the ODV kids sell after sundown? Did the local small town Missouri bakery really sell iced lattes in 1905? And did they really charge four bucks for them?

So many inaccuracies all up and down Main Street! The flag of California respectfully displayed on the flagpole is the least of the concerns.

Comment

You're missing the point, TP2000. The point is if we kick Disney characters out of Mainstreet and join the parks thematically, children will dream and yearn and reach and grow again!

Comment

Leave it alone completely. It doesn't NEED to tell the story of California. If DCA is for that...let them deal with it over there. DL was the original...and Main Street is just a generic main road in U.S.A. No need to change it!

Comment

Walt Disney evangelized also about the value to be found in books. Obviously, many of his own works were adapted from classic literature, so I would love to be able to find some of these novels and short stories on Main Street, U.S.A., itself.

Walt Disney cited a specific book he found about drawing and animation that gave him the instruction he needed to pursue his interest further. This particular book deserves a place of prominence in the Main Street, U.S.A. story.

All of these details contribute to a richness in the quality of storytelling that is currently lacking in the Pressler-ized Main Street, U.S.A.
                    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

To address Oswald... now that they own it they might show it off... but so few know the character that it wouldn't work without giving him a pirate hat and a big Pixar debut!

On a side note I always thought it would have been interesting to have the story of Mickey Mouse told on MS instead of Lincoln... nothing against Lincoln but I would love to have been on that train car when everything started to work out.
                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

What story, PI? What are you talking about? There is an attraction called Walt Disney Story, but that is one piece of mainstreet. Mainstreet looks good, feels good, is a lot of fun and a great place to get excited for a day in Disneyland.
                        How is Mainstreet today worse than what Walt made? What has happened that this land bothers you so when it is one of the richest in feel and detail? Horseless carriages, soda fountains, piano music, barbershop poles, it's all there. What are you going on about? Walt made this place after his hometown, what did he miss? Or what's been changed? What are you talking about, PI?

Comment

If nothing else, this thread has been entertaining. :blink:

And proof positive that Disneyland can be taken a little too seriously... :lmao:

Comment

Without getting sidetracked, let's remember that the place is Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A., not Main Street, Anaheim, California, U.S.A.

Walt Disney described Main Street, U.S.A. as "everyone's hometown". His hometown was in middle America, though. So, a California state flag is as out of place as a French flag would be in Town Square at Disneyland Paris or a Chinese flag would be in Town Square at Hong Kong Disneyland.
                            Here is exactly how Walt Disney described Main Street U.S.A. This is taken from Disneyland: The First Quarter Century, author unkown, published by Walt Disney Productions in 1979.

"Walt Disney wrote: 'Many of us fondly remember our 'small home-town' and its friendly way of life at the turn of the century. To me, this era represents an important part of our nation's heritage. On Main Street we have endeavored to recapture those by-gone days.

'Here is America from 1890 to 1910, at the cross-roads of an era. Here the gas lamp is giving way to the electric lamp, and a newcomer, the sputtering 'horseless carriage', has challenged Old Dobbin for the streetcar right-of-way. America was in transition; the discoveries of the late 19th Century were changing our way of life.

'For those of us who remember the carefree times it recreates, Main Street will bring back happy memories. For younger visitors, it is an adventure in turning back the calendar to the days of grandfather's youth.'

Walt Disney admits that they are endeavoring to recapture the by-gone days represented on Main Street. Nowhere does he state they are recreating those days. Main Street's purpose is to stimulate happy memories and create a sense of adventure to prepare the guest to experience the other Scenes presented in the rest of the park, which do not compete with each other but complement each other to further enable the guest to escape reality and for at least a few hours to help the guest experience happiness and adventure.

DCA shouldn't compliment this, IMO. Rather it should also allow the guest to experience the same kind of escapism but in the context of Disney's California. Unless they combine the two parks then there really isn't a problem.

Comment

The children, themselves, however, don't want this patronizing and condescension. They are always reaching, and the job of parents is to give them worthwhile things for which these children can reach. Walt Disney understood this principle well. He believed in it, and he evangelized it.
                              If you've ever seen photos of Walt walking along Main Street with the park's hideous early Mickey and Minnie, you'll understand why I have a problem with you arguing that Walt would think the comparatively beautiful current Mickey is out of place there.

Like many others, Prag, I'm missing why the DCA changes should necessitate these changes to DL. And please, do me a favor and don't talk down to us with your answer, because we "don't want this patronizing and condescension", either.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                                Like many others, Prag, I'm missing why the DCA changes should necessitate these changes to DL. And please, do me a favor and don't talk down to us with your answer, because we "don't want this patronizing and condescension", either.
                                If my patronizing and condescension offends, I'm sorry.

I just can't believe that Disneyland has been degraded to such a degree that people are actually debating whether or not Walt Disney was attempting to transport his audience to the turn of the 19th Century through Main Street, U.S.A.

I know the Internet is the Great Equalizer, but.... sheesh! Have Pressler and Eisner done that much damage?

As to Disney's California, the new concept is borne from Main Street, U.S.A.; the autobiographical nature of Main Street, U.S.A. is being extended to the second gate in order to tell a story of Walt Disney's migration to the Golden State from Middle America.

Comment

That's a weak attempt at deflection Prag, even for you. In case you haven't noticed, Walt Disney has been dead for almost a half century, so what he may have said on the subject of children has absolutely no bearing on this thread here and now.

I notice you did, of course, ignore the fact that I took issue with your arrogant "I know what kids want" statement that YOU made and instead deflected into a tired old, "look up what Walt said" line. That's laughable.
                                  Last edited by Goofy Daddy; 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM.

Comment

If my patronizing and condescension offends, I'm sorry.

I just can't believe that Disneyland has been degraded to such a degree that people are actually debating whether or not Walt Disney was attempting to transport his audience to the turn of the 19th Century through Main Street, U.S.A.
                                    You have a point but only to a certain degree. Walt indeed had certain intentions for his themes and the way he put it all together. The berm, the buildings, yes he was indeed trying to give us the illusion of being in a turn of the century main street. HOWEVER, Walt never appeared to forget (as it appears you have) that he was creating an illusion...a stage rendition of that town, not an actual town. It is a stage and so things can happen on it that didn't/don't in a real town.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      Here is exactly how Walt Disney described Main Street U.S.A. This is taken from Disneyland: The First Quarter Century, author unkown, published by Walt Disney Productions in 1979.

"Walt Disney wrote: 'Many of us fondly remember our 'small home-town' and its friendly way of life at the turn of the century. To me, this era represents an important part of our nation's heritage. On Main Street we have endeavored to recapture those by-gone days.

'Here is America from 1890 to 1910, at the cross-roads of an era. Here the gas lamp is giving way to the electric lamp, and a newcomer, the sputtering 'horseless carriage', has challenged Old Dobbin for the streetcar right-of-way. America was in transition; the discoveries of the late 19th Century were changing our way of life.

'For those of us who remember the carefree times it recreates, Main Street will bring back happy memories. For younger visitors, it is an adventure in turning back the calendar to the days of grandfather's youth.'

Walt Disney admits that they are endeavoring to recapture the by-gone days represented on Main Street. Nowhere does he state they are recreating those days. Main Street's purpose is to stimulate happy memories and create a sense of adventure to prepare the guest to experience the other Scenes presented in the rest of the park, which do not compete with each other but complement each other to further enable the guest to escape reality and for at least a few hours to help the guest experience happiness and adventure.

DCA shouldn't compliment this, IMO. Rather it should also allow the guest to experience the same kind of escapism but in the context of Disney's California. Unless they combine the two parks then there really isn't a problem.
                                      I can't tell you what CaliforniaAdventurer would say about this but he would say...er...never mind
                                      Last edited by Goofy Daddy; 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                                        Well, there it is. I go away to dinner and when I return Pastor Prag of the Church of the Divine Walt (Othodox certainly not reformed!) has reached into a holy book for some scripture. As has been said, Walt himself walked down Mainstreet with his characters. Pulling out Walt quotes for his original intentions to back up your stance on how changes in a different park all together should mean changes to DL is as weak in logic as I have seen you present.

I can't tell you what CaliforniaAdventurer would say about this but he would say...er...never mind
                                        That was me who found the quote. I just get tired of certain people saying what Walt wanted when it came to certain things. If they do the research much of it is written down. I think if people study things a bit they can come pretty close to what he would have done.

I ended by saying that I still think DCA should remain separate from DL.

Comment

Originally posted by seasnake View Post
                                          You're missing the point, TP2000. The point is if we kick Disney characters out of Mainstreet and join the parks thematically, children will dream and yearn and reach and grow again!
                                          Huh? If we don't join the parks thematically, children will stagnate?

Main Street is fine. Too many people pass through without noticing much of the wonderful detail, it is just the access to the rides, which is sad...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X