Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That was me who found the quote. I just get tired of certain people saying what Walt wanted when it came to certain things. If they do the research much of it is written down. I think if people study things a bit they can come pretty close to what he would have done.

I ended by saying that I still think DCA should remain separate from DL.
    Yup, and I realized that too late...dinner was backing up on me and affected my consentration

I fixed the orginal post, and my applogies.

Comment

Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by disneyhound View Post
      Huh? If we don't join the parks thematically, children will stagnate?

Main Street is fine. Too many people pass through without noticing much of the wonderful detail, it is just the access to the rides, which is sad...
      I'm pretty sure (based on his other comments through the whole thread if you read them) that Seasnake was being humorously sarcastic. It sure got a laugh out of me!

Comment

I just can't believe that Disneyland has been degraded to such a degree that people are actually debating whether or not Walt Disney was attempting to transport his audience to the turn of the 19th Century through Main Street, U.S.A.
        He was indeed attempting to--within certain reasonable limitations. There always have been and always will be certain compromises to cohesive theming, no matter what land or park we're talking about. That's how reality is. And in fact, no matter how convincing the illusion is, people will still know it's an illusion. Do parades and anachronistic characters and California flags remind people that it's an illusion? Maybe a little bit...but they love it! It's okay to break down thematic barriers from time to time if it will better the "average" guest's enjoyment of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
          I'm pretty sure (based on his other comments through the whole thread if you read them) that Seasnake was being humorously sarcastic. It sure got a laugh out of me!
          Oops, I missed that, sorry Seasnake, I enjoy sarcastic humor, when I recognize it!

Comment

I can't tell you what CaliforniaAdventurer would say about this but he would say...er...never mind
            I can't tell you what CaliforniaAdventurer would say either, but if I were him... :lol:

Comment

Pragmatic: Lack of characters is what made DCA so unDisney from the beginning. That's why we got Mickey and Minnie on vacation... in Calfornia. They wouldn't let them vacation out of state, they have to work 365 days a year in the parks, so a vacation for Mickey Mouse is to wear beach clothes and hang at DCA.

Please don't make "get rid of Disney characters that don't fit the idealistic vision you have of the parks, as someone said, Colonial Williamsburg.

If I were Disney I'd hire you. Not to call the shots. Two notches down, to bring up all the complaints and let a saner mind make the final decisions

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                Long-time lurker, first time poster.
                I just felt a need to add my two cents here. I think the main purpose of the theming throughout Main St. and all of the parks is to evoke a feeling, not slavishly reproduce an actual era in time. The detail and other small touches contribute to an overall atmosphere.

Walt Disney added Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in 1965, which is historically inaccurate (Lincoln was already dead by the turn of the century) but few of us complain because it makes sense thematically, if not historically. I don't feel that this addition, as an example, detracted from the story they wanted to tell on Main St.

Comment

If I were Disney I'd hire you. Not to call the shots. Two notches down, to bring up all the complaints and let a saner mind make the final decisions
                  And the match becomes personal...

Whoooey, things around here are starting to get as warm and fuzzy as the board over at jwfan!

Walt Disney added Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in 1965, which is historically inaccurate (Lincoln was already dead by the turn of the century) but few of us complain because it makes sense thematically, if not historically. I don't feel that this addition, as an example, detracted from the story they wanted to tell on Main St.
                  A very good point. It adds to the experience, despite the fact that it's technically not quite "right." It's like Star Tours--yes, technically it's an anachronism, but it contributes to the theme nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by jachbla View Post
                    Hello Everyone,
                    Long-time lurker, first time poster.
                    I just felt a need to add my two cents here. I think the main purpose of the theming throughout Main St. and all of the parks is to evoke a feeling, not slavishly reproduce an actual era in time. The detail and other small touches contribute to an overall atmosphere.

You are right and a great first post!

Hopefully you have been lurking on here long enough to know what you are getting yourself into though!

Welcome to MiceChat!

Comment

Welcome to Micechat-and I also agree with your post.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
                      HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
                      ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
                      FOLLOW MY BLOG: <<LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING>>

Comment

The only problem I have with Main Street is the generic merchandise now sold there. The stores used to be much more unique and immersive. Now its become the Disney Mall.

Never had a problem with Lincoln or Mickey though. Disneyland is first and foremost a place of comforting fantasy. Though it may be based on the dreams, aspirations and hard facts that built this country, it is in the end, a work of fiction - not history. Let's all enjoy the ride shall we?
                        Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading long enough to know what I'm getting into, for sure!

I agree that the "tenants" on Main St. have gotten more generic over the years. That is definitely due to changing attitudes within the Disney Co. But, as lavishly themed and well-planned as Disneyland is, it's not an accurate historical re-creation, nor was it designed to be. Main St., as designed, still serves its original intent by creating an atmosphere and setting the stage for the rest of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                            (slightly off topic) aashee, when the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 all of the American flags were period specific. The rumor so that they could legally be flown at night without lighting, but no such laws exist. Sadly this is a detail that has fallen to the side.
                            Awesome Lazy, thanks.

I'd love to see periodic flags scattered about with plaques explaining the time they flew. Heck I'd even put a flag in tomorrowland with more stars assuming states don't try and break away.

Comment

Having read all the posts, I still fail to see the point of this thread. Re-theme Main Street because DCA is getting a Main Street? I'm confused.

Comment

I think the OP was suggesting a stronger thematic link between Walt's childhood (Main St.) and his arrival in California (Walt Disney Plaza,DCA). The thing is, as I understand it, Main St. is not really about Disney specifically (I think it looks more like Harper Goff's hometown, actually). So I think we're making connections and assumptions that aren't really there.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                                  Without getting sidetracked, let's remember that the place is Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A., not Main Street, Anaheim, California, U.S.A.

Walt Disney described Main Street, U.S.A. as "everyone's hometown". His hometown was in middle America, though. So, a California state flag is as out of place as a French flag would be in Town Square at Disneyland Paris or a Chinese flag would be in Town Square at Hong Kong Disneyland.
                                  I agree.

You mentioned it, so how is it a sidetrack? Disneyland is indeed private property, but it is not a sovreign nation. They can call it "Disneyland, U.S.A." if they like, that does not change the fact that DLR is physically located in Anaheim, CALIFORNIA.
                                  It doesn't matter where Disneyland is physically. New Orleans Square is obviously in Anaheim, California - but when you're in New Orleans Square, you're supposed to be transported to New Orleans, Louisiana. Main Street, U.S.A. is not "Main Street, California." Since Main Street is supposed to be Anybody's Hometown, U.S.A. then it shouldn't feature a state flag.

I tell ya...even with the fact that I agree somewhat with the idea that character M&Gs might be better if done off of main street and the fact that I agree in principal with the last part of the comment...despite all that...the first part of the comment I quoted comes off as totally arrogant.

Who are you to decide/declare what "children" want? Unless you can claim (and back it up) some type of certified expertise in child psychology or some similar field, I call BS. Even if you can claim it, I see no way that you can make that statement. If you are a parent I will allow that you can speak for what YOUR kids might want...but don't say things as if you have somehow been appointed official spokeman for that broad group. You don't know what "children themselves" want. Please.
                                  [bold mine]
                                  And you speak of Prag's supposed arrogance? Who are you to say what Prag can speak of? I know I didn't like being talked down to as a kid. Throughout my youth and adolescence I didn't want petty thrills and cheap entertainment. I enjoyed intelligent entertainment, and I'm sure most kids would like the same thing. Unfortunately, overcrowded classrooms, shows like Spongebob Square Pants, and endless shelves of video games tell them otherwise.

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                  Here is exactly how Walt Disney described Main Street U.S.A. This is taken from Disneyland: The First Quarter Century, author unkown, published by Walt Disney Productions in 1979.

"Walt Disney wrote: 'Many of us fondly remember our 'small home-town' and its friendly way of life at the turn of the century. To me, this era represents an important part of our nation's heritage. On Main Street we have endeavored to recapture those by-gone days.

'Here is America from 1890 to 1910, at the cross-roads of an era. Here the gas lamp is giving way to the electric lamp, and a newcomer, the sputtering 'horseless carriage', has challenged Old Dobbin for the streetcar right-of-way. America was in transition; the discoveries of the late 19th Century were changing our way of life.

'For those of us who remember the carefree times it recreates, Main Street will bring back happy memories. For younger visitors, it is an adventure in turning back the calendar to the days of grandfather's youth.'

Walt Disney admits that they are endeavoring to recapture the by-gone days represented on Main Street. Nowhere does he state they are recreating those days. Main Street's purpose is to stimulate happy memories and create a sense of adventure to prepare the guest to experience the other Scenes presented in the rest of the park, which do not compete with each other but complement each other to further enable the guest to escape reality and for at least a few hours to help the guest experience happiness and adventure.

DCA shouldn't compliment this, IMO. Rather it should also allow the guest to experience the same kind of escapism but in the context of Disney's California. Unless they combine the two parks then there really isn't a problem.
                                  [bold mine]

I don't know how reliable my Mac's dictionary widget is, but...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

Originally posted by composerboy View Post
                                    Having read all the posts, I still fail to see the point of this thread. Re-theme Main Street because DCA is getting a Main Street? I'm confused.
                                    D.C.A. is getting a continuation of the story begun on Main Street, U.S.A. So, Main Street's story is more important, now, than ever before because D.C.A. is relying upon that narrative.

Main Street, U.S.A. has been compromised over the years by things like Mickey Mouse cartoons at the Main Street Cinema, as well as by The Walt Disney Story at the Disneyland Opera House. So, I intended the initial question to spark a thoughtful discussion about what needs to be done to Main Street, U.S.A. in order to strengthen the overall presentation. Somewhere along the way, though, the discussion devolved into an unbelievably stupid debate about the fact that Main Street, U.S.A. is intended to transport the audience to Middle America at the turn of the 19th Century, instead of a giant Gap store.

While Main Street, U.S.A. is everyone's hometown, the place is more Walt Disney's than that of anyone else.

Comment

Main Street also used to house a tobacco store, a drugstore, flower mart, etc. But, it remains, the same place in general. This is why I feel it should stay the same. They should theme DCA more to fit DL if anything.

Comment

Actually, Mr. Lincoln could be more related to stage a stage show about the deceased President. Plenty of people would still be alive from the war between the states and President Lincoln's term in office.

Comment

Unfortunately, overcrowded classrooms, shows like Spongebob Square Pants, and endless shelves of video games tell them otherwise.
                                          (emphasis added)

Ah, I see you haven't actually watched some of the older SpongeBob episodes. Trust me, unintelligent programming doesn't include references to Toulouse Lautrec, subtle sociopolitical themes, and the like. It's only the last five years or so that have converted SpongeBob to mindless, annoying children's crap.

We now return to your scheduled programming.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X