Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

So it's come to this. It took 136 posts and a published author to properly distill this argument down to it's basic elements:

"...strengthen Main Street's ties with the historic Marceline, and that detail improvemetns might help to strengthen the "Walt Disney" connection."

All because a totally separate park 300 feet away is recieving a similar feature.
    Hence my earlier confusion, CB.
    I don't think the purpose of Main Street changes because they're revamping Sunshine Plaza. It's still "everyone's hometown," not Marceline. I think the function of the new land in DCA is to pay homage to the early career years of Walt Disney. I don't think Main Street, U.S.A. was ever meant to pay homage to Walt Disney's boyhood years. That is not the function of the land.
    It's true that some things from Walt's childhood are there: i.e. pictures and etc. But that is there to enhance the land, not make it his.
    "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by composerboy View Post
      Now I'm REALLY confused.
      I don't see the reason for confusion. All PI is saying is that, while Fantasyland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland are all cool places, only Main Street draws its inspiration directly from the park's founder, and that fact should maybe be reinforced a little.

Personally, I'm not sure more accurate details will accomplish that. But unlike draybrook, as a child I did notice those details, and those details did cause me to look deeper into Main Street, and its roots as Walt Disney's Marceline. It may have evolved into "everyone's hometown," but like it or not, it's inspiration comes directly from an actual small town in middle America.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
        I don't see the reason for confusion. All PI is saying is that, while Fantasyland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland are all cool places, only Main Street draws its inspiration directly from the park's founder, and that fact should maybe be reinforced a little.

Personally, I'm not sure more accurate details will accomplish that. But unlike draybrook, as a child I did notice those details, and those details did cause me to look deeper into Main Street, and its roots as Walt Disney's Marceline. It may have evolved into "everyone's hometown," but like it or not, it's inspiration comes directly from an actual small town in middle America.
        I too, noticed all the little details as a child growing up in Anaheim, and it was those very details that set me down the very path I'm on right now. Today though, you would have to paint with a MUCH broader brush than a handful of black and white photos to reach 99.9999% of the audience.

I think you're absolutely correct that Main Street was directly inspired by Walt's emotional impressions of growing up in Marceline. And, in the same way, Frontierland was so inspired and also evolved into what it did. As well as Adventureland. They were all concieved and created as impressions of times and places meant to evoke the same collective conscious memories from the public.

Additionally, it's unfortunate that for all his authoritative blustering, you have to speak for PI for us to understand his points.
        Last edited by composerboy; 10-30-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Comment

Additionally, it's unfortunate that for all his authoritative blustering, you have to speak for PI for us to understand his points.
            Who knows? I may have completely mis-read PI.

Comment

I suggest that changes are made along the lines that Steve suggested. Things that would bring Main Street back to something more closely resembling the original "as built", NOT augmenting it to be more specifically themed towards the personal history of Walt Disney.

Comment

I would say all of the cardinal realms are directly from Walt Disney's life. Main Street, USA was the one he actually lived in; Adventureland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland were the places he took people in stories, and Tomorrowland was the place he had hoped to build amongst the swamps of Florida. Disneyland in of itself is the story of Walt Disney from boy, to his film studio, to EPCOT.

Comment

Who knows? I may have completely mis-read PI.
                  Nope, you're following me perfectly.

Comment

I suggest that changes are made along the lines that Steve suggested. Things that would bring Main Street back to something more closely resembling the original "as built", NOT augmenting it to be more specifically themed towards the personal history of Walt Disney.
                    You're vacillating.

Main Street, U.S.A. is an artistic impression of a remembered past that is both personal and archetypal.

The universality of the place comes from how specifically recalled Walt Disney's feelings toward his hometown were.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                      I would say all of the cardinal realms are directly from Walt Disney's life. Main Street, USA was the one he actually lived in; Adventureland, Frontierland, and Fantasyland were the places he took people in stories, and Tomorrowland was the place he had hoped to build amongst the swamps of Florida. Disneyland in of itself is the story of Walt Disney from boy, to his film studio, to EPCOT.
                      I don't dispute that ALL of DL was inspired in one way or another by Walt. However, only Main Street can claim to be inspired by an actual place--something you can pin-point on a map.

I've got a great photo of a small dead-end street in Marceline taken in the 1970s. The street butts up against the Santa Fe's track. I'll try to scan it when I get a chance.

And although I've posted this link before, for those who want to know far more about "Main Street," (the real and the imagined, with some photos of Marceline then and now) Main Street Revisited is a great book: http://www.amazon.com/Main-Street-Re...3762722&sr=1-1

Comment

Moreover, Main Street, U.S.A., in a way, embodies Walt Disney's formative years as a whole. He spent very little of his life in Marceline, itself. So, his migration to California was in some ways a dividing line between childhood and adulthood.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          Moreover, Main Street, U.S.A., in a way, embodies Walt Disney's formative years as a whole. He spent very little of his life in Marceline, itself.
                          Much of the pre-war (WW I) midwest, and even many eastern and western cities, had "Main Streets," and all featured aspects that Walt would have recognized as familiar. Marceline didn't feature the only Main Street around.

Comment

You're vacillating.

Main Street, U.S.A. is an artistic impression of a remembered past that is both personal and archetypal.

The universality of the place comes from how specifically recalled Walt Disney's feelings toward his hometown were.
                            No, I've been saying this very thing all along. What I disagree with is your proposal to fill some artificial need to augment the current design with some sort of re-do along the lines of the DCA entrance redo, or at the very least with the addition of some specific set dressing to make the place more specifically and obviously tied to Walt's childhood home.

Comment

No, I've been saying this very thing all along. What I disagree with is your proposal to fill some artificial need to augment the current design with some sort of re-do along the lines of the DCA entrance redo, or at the very least with the addition of some specific set dressing to make the place more specifically and obviously tied to Walt's childhood home.
                              I'm supplanting The Walt Disney Story that is focused on the Californian Walt with a more appropriate orientation towards the Middle American Walt.

Comment

So I guess the question is does Main Street need more changes to reflect the period, or to reflect Walt? Now someone will probably say period changes automatically make it more like Walt, but I guess the thing is do we want to incorporate more elements because Walt enjoyed them growing up OR just because they fit the era.

For instance, if you bring back the lamplighter, are you bringing him back because of the era Main Street represents or because Walt loved to watch people light lamps? Moreover, do you have information to explain Walt's love of the lamplighter or do you just have it as an homage for those in the know? I submit you should focus on period-based changes whether or not they had special meaning to Walt, and if there's something that ties in directly to Walt's childhood then people in the know can point that out (or the tour guides at DL).
                                "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

Again, I remind you that Walt Disney, himself, was telling his own story through Main Street, U.S.A.

The Main Street Cinema was playing Gertie the Dinosaur, not Mickey Mouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertie_the_Dinosaur

Comment

A couple of years ago, I suggested in these forums that the people responsible for re-imagining D.C.A. use How to Be Like Walt as a guide for developing a new story and show for both Main Street, U.S.A. and the California park.

That book is remarkably detailed. And, I recommend it, still.

In fact, in light of the recent announcement, I'd like to read it, again.

Comment

The horse is dead, stop beating it.

As stated in the OP: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Answer: Nothing

Can improvements be made to MSUSA? Yes. Are changes needed to help recapture the charm and original intent of MSUSA? Yes. Are those changes tied into the DCA re-make or do they need to be? No. Do some people disagree with that opinion? Yes. Are they welcome to do so? Yes. Should they be adult enough to extend the same courtesy to others who hold a different opinion? Yes. Do we know what CaliforniaAdventurer would say at a time like this? No (I couldn't resist CalAdv )

Comment

The fact, though, is that Disneyland has expanded well beyond the berm, so there is not as much of a need for Disneyland proper to do as much as it once did.
                                        You're absolutely completely wrong, but I still salute you for thinking outside of the box.

Oh, and Lincoln is still boring.

Comment

Hella boring.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X