Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real new theme). It is also a convenient recreation of the Main St USA concept; a comforting, nostalgic entry portal from which guests can launch their adventures into the realms of imagination. And that's all it is. It may mirror Main St in form and function, but it is not a continuation of Main St.

I understand Prags desire to better theme Main St to reflect Walt Disney's boyhood; its a perfect lead in to what's being planned for DCA's entrance. The problem is, it doesn't work that way operationally. Guests enter Disneyland through Main St and they will enter DCA through this newly re-themed area. They are two separate parks with separate admission gates. Park Hoppers aside, most guests won't walk south down Main St, cross the esplanade into DCA and expect a continuation of the same story. The new plans do create a pleasing (mostly to Disney Geeks) dynamic symmetry. But nothing more. The story told on Main St does not need to continue in DCA and vise-versa. Nor should it, except in the most oblique way. Let's not forget that Disney parks are designed and operated to entertain the average American (or Asian or European) family, not rabid Disney Geeks who seek the Holy Grail of perfect thematic unity.

That said, I would love to see the theming on Main St improved for its own sake, and Steve G. pointed out most of things that could and should be done in an earlier post. I think bringing back the Wizard of Bras shop would be a good start.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by DCAFTW View Post
      Hella boring.
      Then please visit another thread. May I suggest: Who lives closest to Disneyland?

Comment

• Re: What Needs to Be Done to Main Street, U.S.A. as Part of the D.C.A. Remodeling?

Originally posted by draybook View Post
        Wow, that sucks. I guess since we're going to try to reclaim the early 1900's, us colored folks will have to find our own water fountains and restrooms, huh?
        Y'all best be out of the park before sundown, too.

No, no, I'm pretty sure letting everyone fight over the same restrooms is one of the acceptable concessions.
        Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
        : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunder View Post
          Then please visit another thread. May I suggest: Who lives closest to Disneyland?
          I was refering to Mr. Lincoln, thank you very much.

Also, you really don't have the right to ask, demand, or imply that I should leave a thread for another. Last time I checked this wasn't your board.

As for this thread, it's simply ridiculous. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Comment

What is Disneyland if it is not the experiencing of a narrative through movement in physical space?

When I proposed the 1923 entrance to D.C.A., I even suggested that guests exit the California park in 1955. In that way, the story would come full circle back to the opening of Disneyland's gates in California 32 years later.

Walt Disney was the quintessential California dreamer, and the proof is Disneyland, itself.

If a guest experiences Disneyland first, he or she would view Disney's California as it relates to Main Street, U.S.A. and Walt Disney's migration in 1923. And, if a guest experiences Disney's California first, he or she would view Disneyland as it relates to its opening in California in 1955. The story is perfectly circular.

Comment

When I proposed the 1923 entrance to D.C.A., I even suggested that guests exit the California park in 1955. In that way, the story would come full circle back to the opening of Disneyland's gates in California 32 years later.
              I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding this. Are you suggesting that the entrance/exit of DCA be themed to 1923 when you look one way, and 1955 when you look the other? I'm highly confused...

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding this. Are you suggesting that the entrance/exit of DCA be themed to 1923 when you look one way, and 1955 when you look the other? I'm highly confused...
                I envisioned something a little more complicated than that, but suffice it to say that the concept was to introduce Disneyland to D.C.A.'s guests as something that could only have happened when and where it did.

Comment

I envisioned something a little more complicated than that, but suffice it to say that the concept was to introduce Disneyland to D.C.A.'s guests as something that could only have happened when and where it did.
                  Sounds good...but I still don't understand what this complicated plan would entail. Could you perhaps describe it a little more fully or include a link to an old post on the topic?

Comment

Someones obviously never heard the phrase "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

Honestly main street has worked for 57 years as it is, I dont see why it should be changed all of a sudden for a park that its not a part of.

Honestly prag i enjoy your posts most of the time but this is probably the stupidest idea you've had.

Thats like the imagineers in florida back when the animal park was being built "Hey we got this animal theme going on here lets make main street a jungle so it enchances the other park."
                    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                    -Dr. Strange

Comment

I'm curious now: how does PI plan to have guests enter in 1920 and leave in 1955 from DCA. Should guests enter 1899 and leave 1920 from DL? This one has me intrigued.
                      "It was worth it if you learned something."

Comment

The only way I could see it working would be to have some "transitional" elements (signs?) in the Esplanade that would act as sort of "connectors" between the two parks, shedding light on the deeper meaning of both parks' entrances.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                          What is Disneyland if it is not the experiencing of a narrative through movement in physical space?

The answer to that will be different depending on who is answering. To YOU Prag and some others, it is "experiencing of a narrative through movement in physical space." That's great. The problem is you base all of your arguments on the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE sees it that way as well. They don't. When someone points this fact out you either pull a Walt quote from the fifty years ago out or you just ignore it and give us the silence that Steve admires so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                            or you just ignore it and give us the silence that Steve admires so much.
                            Maybe he is too busy to answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
                              When someone points this fact out you either pull a Walt quote from the fifty years ago out or you just ignore it and give us the silence that Steve admires so much.
                              I don't admire silence (except from my 2-year-old), but I do admire that Prag doesn't take the bait that so often accompanies replies to his posts, such as Wren's above:
                              ...this is probably the stupidest idea you've had.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                                I don't admire silence (except from my 2-year-old), but I do admire that Prag doesn't take the bait that so often accompanies replies to his posts, such as Wren's above:
                                Wasnt bait, was my opinion.
                                There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                                -Dr. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by DCAFTW View Post
                                  I was refering to Mr. Lincoln, thank you very much.

Also, you really don't have the right to ask, demand, or imply that I should leave a thread for another. Last time I checked this wasn't your board.

As for this thread, it's simply ridiculous. I don't think anything more needs to be said.
                                  If I mistook the intent of your post I apologize. However I did say 'please', and your 'ridiculous' comment does tend to validate my instincts. If you don't care for the discussion at hand, there's a great big beautiful MiceChat out there with many threads to choose from. Just trying to be helpful. Happy chatting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wren View Post
                                    Wasnt bait, was my opinion.
                                    I feel the same way about your getup in your avatar.

As crazy as PragmaticIdealist's ideas for Main St. are, he is coming from a good place, his desire to see Disneyland improved. The backlash against him is astounding, like he's insulting your mothers or something. Pragmatic doesn't go into threads where people want to keep the freakin' Maliboomer and start insulting everybody's intelligence.

Comment

You're all on Page 15? I'm starting to miss the days of the Absolute Weight of the Frog Princess.

Clearly, guests walking back and forth from the parks are experiencing "one magical day at the Disneyland Resort" and something should be done to make the transition more interesting than OOH LOOK, pavers with everybody's names on them, that go on and on forever. I mean even a circle of palm trees and a big flowy fountain in the middle would be better than the pavers.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

Walt Disney was the quintessential California dreamer, and the proof is Disneyland, itself.

If a guest experiences Disneyland first, he or she would view Disney's California as it relates to Main Street, U.S.A. and Walt Disney's migration in 1923. And, if a guest experiences Disney's California first, he or she would view Disneyland as it relates to its opening in California in 1955. The story is perfectly circular.
                                        I understand what you are saying, and there is a beautiful symmetry to it. The only real problem I have is this: most guests don't go to Disney parks to immerse themselves in the Life and Times of Walt Disney, they go to be entertained. Now, the two need not be mutually exclusive, but a balance must be found between the ideals that you put forth and the day-to-day running of a very real theme park. What is the goal of creating this larger story? Is all of this necessary to serve the park's primary function of themed entertainment? What is the return on this investment in story? Will Joe Family Guy even notice or care? If not, how hard will you have to work on educating him?

If, on the other hand you shy away from specifics, and try to keep the experiences broad and universal, you will have a much easier time entertaining a wide swath of the populace. And that is what Disney does best.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                                          You're all on Page 15? I'm starting to miss the days of the Absolute Weight of the Frog Princess.

Clearly, guests walking back and forth from the parks are experiencing "one magical day at the Disneyland Resort" and something should be done to make the transition more interesting than OOH LOOK, pavers with everybody's names on them, that go on and on forever. I mean even a circle of palm trees and a big flowy fountain in the middle would be better than the pavers.
                                          Or, as my 9 year old son asked me when he was old enough to first notice them, "Daddy, are there people buried here?"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X