X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhotoMatt
    • Apr 2007

Disney Responds to Abigail Disney's Remarks About the Disneyland Resort

A spokesperson for Disney contacted MiceChat, and we have published their response to Abigail's claims here - https://www.micechat.com/231176-disn...isney-heiress/

Please share the link with anyone you think might be interested.

Thank you.
  • JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last
    • Mar 2006

Yeah I hate when Employers say Average wage...who cares what that it? Its the Medium number that means much more. What are 90 Percent of the Employees making? If most are making about minimum wage. Also 20 bucks an hour isn't even that good anyway. Most Families Can't live on that so no Clue why Disney would be gloating about this especially when most workers who work at the theme parks have extra time they must spend parking and getting to the punch in station.
    It takes me less than 3 minutes to park and punch in, Disney Employee's have like half an hour of extra time before they can clock in.

Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Professortango
      MiceChatter
      • Aug 2005

I love how MiceChat once again comes to Disney's defense and attacks any criticism. The good ol days certainly are gone.
      Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

• ajburk97
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
        I love how MiceChat once again comes to Disney's defense and attacks any criticism. The good ol days certainly are gone.
        This doesn't seem like defending Disney. They simply published Disney's response- I saw very little (if any) commentary in the post on whether Disney's response was a valid one.

Comment

• TacAlert
          C4C6C

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

This doesn't seem like defending Disney. They simply published Disney's response- I saw very little (if any) commentary in the post on whether Disney's response was a valid one.
          Agreed, no defending. They simply reposted a published response which can be found all over the internet.
          "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

• TacAlert
            C4C6C

• Jan 2005

Interesting in Googling Abigail Disney's net worth, she claims $120 million. Why doesn't she donate some of this to the employees who are getting their food out of trash cans.

"And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

• SecretDisney
              New MiceChatter
              • Jun 2019

The headline has been changed but it initially characterized Abigail Disney's claims as "outlandish." That biases the readers. I am glad it is different now and more neutral.

Comment

• ajburk97
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                Interesting in Googling Abigail Disney's net worth, she claims $120 million. Why doesn't she donate some of this to the employees who are getting their food out of trash cans.
                It's always easiest to tell others how to spend their money, rather than backing up your own message with your own money.

Disney is an excellent employer. It's far better than most. They pay well for what the job is, and there are tons and tons of additional benefits employees get that other entry level service positions don't provide. It's why these employees stick with Disney instead of finding jobs elsewhere. In this case, Abigail- who has very little, if anything to do with anything about The Walt Disney Company- is using her name to get headlines and give her a sense of 'purpose'. She trashes Iger, but it seems like she loves what he's done to her net worth- since it's my understanding she owns a decent amount of Disney stock.

Now, I'm not saying they're perfect. I think the parking situation for Anaheim CM's is atrocious and needs to be reworked. I think there needs to be more consistency with scheduling to make it easier to schedule childcare, school classes, or a second job. And I think they need to bring back a proper employee Christmas party and other events to help show real, substantial employee appreciation.

Comment

• HiddenMickey87
                  Banned User
                  • Apr 2008

You know my thoughts on Disney management so I only cut 'em slack when I feel it's merited, but in this case, I have to take Disney's side.

Regarding only the salaries (not counting management, how they treat employees, etc.)... we don't know how many employees are eating out of trash can. When one writes "employees," that could as easily mean 2 as it does 200. Furthermore, Disney is not responsible for that employees finances or living situations beyond the scope of their employment. In fact, it could be argued that by giving that person employment, they're bettering their financial situation, or at least a little. A little personal responsibility is required as well; and I know, sometimes life sucks and stuff happens, so I don't place blame on people for where they are, but Disney can only do what it can do.

Furthermore, throwing money at a situation doesn't necessarily make it better. You can't just give, for example, a homeless druggie a million dollars and expect them to suddenly lead this perfect responsible life and live wisely and prudently with this money.

Comment

• Eagleman
                    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

MICE CHAT - simply published Disney's response
                    Abigail Disney's claims
                    has been on the computer news, a lot this week !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• HiddenMickey87
                      Banned User
                      • Apr 2008

It's always easiest to tell others how to spend their money, rather than backing up your own message with your own money.

Disney is an excellent employer. It's far better than most. They pay well for what the job is, and there are tons and tons of additional benefits employees get that other entry level service positions don't provide. It's why these employees stick with Disney instead of finding jobs elsewhere. In this case, Abigail- who has very little, if anything to do with anything about The Walt Disney Company- is using her name to get headlines and give her a sense of 'purpose'. She trashes Iger, but it seems like she loves what he's done to her net worth- since it's my understanding she owns a decent amount of Disney stock.

Now, I'm not saying they're perfect. I think the parking situation for Anaheim CM's is atrocious and needs to be reworked. I think there needs to be more consistency with scheduling to make it easier to schedule childcare, school classes, or a second job. And I think they need to bring back a proper employee Christmas party and other events to help show real, substantial employee appreciation.
                      I agree with your last paragraph. I think lots could be done to improve morale, management personality, benefits, and employee appreciation. Regarding salary, I can only take that on a case by case basis, but assuming you know exactly what you get to, you accept the wage they're offering without any force or pressure. Yes, Disneyland has its challenges, but there are other entry-level jobs that pay the same thing that don't require you to park miles away, work in the hot sun, and so forth.

Comment

• Eagleman
                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

I for one and I have share many time ,for many years now
                        CEO-Bob Iger is WAY OVER PAY !
                        IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                          Happily Ridiculous
                          • Dec 2011

Abigail Disney is handling this masterfully. When one fails to effect change via regular channels, naming and shaming is the next best chance. It's true that Disney has taken more steps in the last year to improve employees' circumstances (like with Aspire and childcare programs). However, it's hard to ignore that all of this only came about after politicians, movie stars, and unfavorable conditions made themselves heard. When these changes have only come in the face of outrage, why wouldn't Abigail Disney make her voice heard if she wanted the same thing?

It's also laughable that people tell her to put her money where her mouth is. With a lifetime of supporting documentary and cause-focused filmmaking in addition to her philanthropy, I'm not sure she could do much more.

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                          Yeah I hate when Employers say Average wage...who cares what that it? Its the Medium number that means much more. What are 90 Percent of the Employees making? If most are making about minimum wage. Also 20 bucks an hour isn't even that good anyway. Most Families Can't live on that so no Clue why Disney would be gloating about this especially when most workers who work at the theme parks have extra time they must spend parking and getting to the punch in station.
                          It takes me less than 3 minutes to park and punch in, Disney Employee's have like half an hour of extra time before they can clock in.
                          To be fair, Disney's response cited a median salary of $46,127. That would be just about enough to support a single person living in a studio apartment nearby before taxes. The entry level wage falls well short of that, and obviously these numbers don't reflect the numerous cutbacks the parks have been experiencing as some CMs have had their hours reduced. When you add the various hurdles they have to jump through just to get on the clock, Disney screaming "AT LEAST WE GOT YOU THE ASPIRE PROGRAM" rings hollow.

Agreed, no defending. They simply reposted a published response which can be found all over the internet.
                          Originally posted by SecretDisney View Post
                          The headline has been changed but it initially characterized Abigail Disney's claims as "outlandish." That biases the readers. I am glad it is different now and more neutral.
                          Not sure why Micechat claimed it as an exclusive (all caps) in this tweet when it's found all over. There's definitely bias evident in the article since Dusty took the time to insert ONLY photos of smiling Cast Members. We all know there are plenty of CM moments captured that aren't like that. The "outlandish" bit comes from Disney's response, but I agree that it should not be in the headline.

Bias and affiliation is fine (including Micechat receiving invitations to media events), but just disclose it so readers know what they're getting.
                          Last edited by WaltDisney'sAlec; 07-17-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                            Adventure First, Ad Last
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Professortango View Post
                            I don't think they are taking a stance...they are just posting what Disney said.

They want to keep media access so they have to at the least post what Disney said
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• TacAlert
                              C4C6C

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

You know my thoughts on Disney management so I only cut 'em slack when I feel it's merited, but in this case, I have to take Disney's side.

Regarding only the salaries (not counting management, how they treat employees, etc.)... we don't know how many employees are eating out of trash can. When one writes "employees," that could as easily mean 2 as it does 200. Furthermore, Disney is not responsible for that employees finances or living situations beyond the scope of their employment. In fact, it could be argued that by giving that person employment, they're bettering their financial situation, or at least a little. A little personal responsibility is required as well; and I know, sometimes life sucks and stuff happens, so I don't place blame on people for where they are, but Disney can only do what it can do.

Furthermore, throwing money at a situation doesn't necessarily make it better. You can't just give, for example, a homeless druggie a million dollars and expect them to suddenly lead this perfect responsible life and live wisely and prudently with this money.
                              Agreed. Show me a picture of an employee eating out of a trashcan, and maybe she has some validity. But right now I think she is just looking for headlines.

Comment

• micromind
                                world class bilge rat
                                • Aug 2009

Of course Disney is going to rake her over the coals....what did you expect.......they'd actually admit that they pay their executives obscene bonuses at the expense of the CMs who actually make the parks run????

No way.....the executives are completely consumed by greed, they couldn't possibly care any less about the backs they get their grossly oversized compensation packages off of.

Same as just about every other huge corporation.

Comment

• mandelbrot
                                  • Feb 2005

I love the numbers they are trotting out touting average company wages. These numbers are tremendously skewed by the exorbitant wages of company executives while the VAST majority are making wages at or near the poverty line. The fact that the company's failure in rolling out a successful Star Wars theme park land is resulting in reduced hours and eliminated positions for front line CM's while executives keep their salaries and bonuses tells you all you need to know about the company. Abigail has grossly exaggerated conditions for front line CM's but it doesn't mean her heart is in the wrong place.

The Walt Disney Company is an absolute behemoth because of the effectual sweatshop they are running. There's a breaking point and it's coming.

Comment

• linkeq2001
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2012

Ahh yes. Love to see these threads turn towards the old "get a better job" trend they often do. Just remember the next time you are in the park spending your hundreds of dollars and get mad that a CM did not make it "magical enough" for you that they might just be thinking about where to eat that night.......

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                      Of course Disney is going to rake her over the coals....what did you expect.......they'd actually admit that they pay their executives obscene bonuses at the expense of the CMs who actually make the parks run????

No way.....the executives are completely consumed by greed, they couldn't possibly care any less about the backs they get their grossly oversized compensation packages off of.

Same as just about every other huge corporation.
                                      Originally posted by mandelbrot View Post
                                      I love the numbers they are trotting out touting average company wages. These numbers are tremendously skewed by the exorbitant wages of company executives while the VAST majority are making wages at or near the poverty line. The fact that the company's failure in rolling out a successful Star Wars theme park land is resulting in reduced hours and eliminated positions for front line CM's while executives keep their salaries and bonuses tells you all you need to know about the company.
                                      Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                                      Ahh yes. Love to see these threads turn towards the old "get a better job" trend they often do. Just remember the next time you are in the park spending your hundreds of dollars and get mad that a CM did not make it "magical enough" for you that they might just be thinking about where to eat that night.......
                                      Bingo x 3.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Eagleman
                                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by micromind View Post

Walt Disney Company

Greed, obsession, even insanitycame in play .
                                        Since
                                        Michael Eisner era
                                        and have gotten worst under IGER !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X