Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

What causes WDW's GE crowds, but not DLs?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes WDW's GE crowds, but not DLs?

Originally posted by order 1966 View Post

The reason is simple.
    There is no more Lucas in Lucasfilm. George Lucas is not involved and it is obvious. Before he sold Disney, the toy line was number one based on the prequel movies and the brand was very popular. He put characters on screen for seconds and they would become popular (Aurra Sing for example.) When making Episode 7, Lucas wanted to take risks and make state of
    the art movies but Disney wanted retreads with constant callbacks to what came before. Lucas quit and we got unimaginative movies made by committees. When Lucas was in charge, we got great rides like Star Tours and Indiana Jones. He would have never allowed a whole land to be filled with shops and eating areas with almost no rides and nothing based on his classic characters and his timeline. It has nothing to do with overkill. Star Wars has been everywhere for decades. It has to do with the fact that those in charge of Lucasfilm do not know what they are doing. It is not really Star Wars anymore without George Lucas.
    Wow, so much of this is absurd. You're putting George Lucas on a ridiculous pedestal, conveniently ignoring the many, many mistakes the man made over the years when he was the sole shepherd of the Star Wars franchise.

I'm not one of those guys who feels "betrayed" by Lucas or any of that "ruined my childhood" entitled bull. He does some amazing things and made some massive blunders.

The prequel movies were NOT well-regarded. Period. Across the board. Yes, you will always find a dedicated slice of the fanbase that will basically like anything SW related and will be very forgiving towards it, but they weren't good movies.

Heck, many, many voices in the fan base for years were begging for someone other than GL to take over Star Wars, feeling that the man had lost his touch with the prequels. Many of those same die-hards insist that Empire Strikes Back is the best movie because it was the OT film on which Lucas was most hands-off.

And let's not kid ourselves that Lucas didn't further degrade the brand through shameless and often terrible merchandise tie-ins. Angry Birds? A Darth Vader McDonald's burger with a black bun? Seriously, some of the stuff Lucas approved was downright embarrassing.

As for "Forgetting the classic characters?" Lucas himself got to a point where he was so obsessed with the prequels that he started ignoring the original trilogy, too, in focus of the newer characters and stories. Lest we forget, his original pitch for Star Tours 2.0 was that it be SOLELY a podracing experience, which I think we all agree would have been a terrible idea (as much fun as the podracing scene is in the ride, if that was all their was, the fans, casual and diehard alike, would have been furious.

Personally, as far as the Disney movies go...I like half of them, which is pretty much where I stand with Lucas' SW output - I like about half of it.

Let's stop pretending that he was some kind of pure, unassailable god who gifted his perfection for 35 years until it was "ruined" by a corporate committee mindset. Yes, Disney is trying to squeeze every drop from the SW franchise they paid so handsomely for. But that's just par for the course for this franchise, Lucas was doing that for decades himself.

Originally posted by Lance Q. View Post

Wow, so much of this is absurd. You're putting George Lucas on a ridiculous pedestal, conveniently ignoring the many, many mistakes the man made over the years when he was the sole shepherd of the Star Wars franchise.

I'm not one of those guys who feels "betrayed" by Lucas or any of that "ruined my childhood" entitled bull. He does some amazing things and made some massive blunders.

The prequel movies were NOT well-regarded. Period. Across the board. Yes, you will always find a dedicated slice of the fanbase that will basically like anything SW related and will be very forgiving towards it, but they weren't good movies.

Heck, many, many voices in the fan base for years were begging for someone other than GL to take over Star Wars, feeling that the man had lost his touch with the prequels. Many of those same die-hards insist that Empire Strikes Back is the best movie because it was the OT film on which Lucas was most hands-off.

And let's not kid ourselves that Lucas didn't further degrade the brand through shameless and often terrible merchandise tie-ins. Angry Birds? A Darth Vader McDonald's burger with a black bun? Seriously, some of the stuff Lucas approved was downright embarrassing.

As for "Forgetting the classic characters?" Lucas himself got to a point where he was so obsessed with the prequels that he started ignoring the original trilogy, too, in focus of the newer characters and stories. Lest we forget, his original pitch for Star Tours 2.0 was that it be SOLELY a podracing experience, which I think we all agree would have been a terrible idea (as much fun as the podracing scene is in the ride, if that was all their was, the fans, casual and diehard alike, would have been furious.

Personally, as far as the Disney movies go...I like half of them, which is pretty much where I stand with Lucas' SW output - I like about half of it.

Let's stop pretending that he was some kind of pure, unassailable god who gifted his perfection for 35 years until it was "ruined" by a corporate committee mindset. Yes, Disney is trying to squeeze every drop from the SW franchise they paid so handsomely for. But that's just par for the course for this franchise, Lucas was doing that for decades himself.

I am not putting George Lucas on a pedestal. He created Star Wars and is responsible for its greatness. No one believed the movie would be a success and he ignored the advice of others to put his vision on screen. He was told to introduce Luke earlier so he filmed it but did not add it. He was told to put his name before the movie title so he quit the directors guild and did what he wanted instead. People like to say Star Wars was successful in spite of him, not because of him (like it was the editor or the screenwriter or some other hired hand.) They like to take him off the pedestal, but the screenwriter working with him on ESB came up with the awful Force Awakens story and then the mildly interesting Solo without Lucas. The prequels were huge hits when they came out as was the toy line, and they were criticized by grown men who were upset Lucas made sci fi movies for kids instead of grown men. Grown men who demanded R rated Batman movies or their childhoods would be ruined. I agree that Lucas had many tie ins to cash out on the popularity of Star Wars and that has continued but that isn't really a problem now, nor was it then. It doesn't make a good movie bad or a bad movie good either way just like minor changes Lucas made to his movies didn't "ruin" them. Honestly, who cares if Han shot first or not, or if Anakin doesnt like sand. These are extremely minor points that certain haters have been dwelling on for a decade.

I am glad you like half of the Disney movies. I and many others who had Star Wars marathons loved all six of Lucas' movies but after the disappointment of Episode 7 and 8, it is apparent the new Lucasfilm has lost their way without Lucas. Even the most ardent prequel hater Simon Pegg admits Lucas' absence has damaged the brand. Other than the second half of Rogue One, the new movies don't feel like Star Wars anymore and my anticipation of Episode 9 has diminished greatly. Kids today aren't into Star Wars anymore, the stand-alone movies have all been cancelled, and the next trilogy will be a complete reboot.

If I worked for Disneyland, I would bring back Star Wars Weekends, with all of the non-Disney elements that made those events so successful. Galaxy's Edge would be a huge hit guaranteed.

Comment

These two posts were moved because the user was banned. It was not because there was anything wrong with the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X