X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Jones: Then and Now

Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post

This is a generalization.

In reality, the attractions are actually constantly plussed and improved - often in ways that you can't see.

Think about it this way: After 30-40 years and more of operating, the majority of an attraction's sustainment budget will shift into a ride obsolescence program to keep the attraction (a) reliable, (b) regulatory compliant, and (c) modernized where possible. That means more of a focus on mechanics, electrical, structure, and more, which gets expensive.

And I'll tell you from personal experience, keeping a legacy attraction running reliably at Disneyland 18 hours a day is expensive. Many parts need to be custom fabricated, and wherever possible, upgraded with off the shelf components. But for the most part, they are the same design from decades ago, and require massive labor to keep up, that's all behind the scenes.

Show upgrades are also expensive, but don't have as many regulatory requirements, and don't generally affect the ride reliability. So they aren't as frequent. But they do happen too, pretty often. Those kinds of projects are under Imagineering's purview, and their project planning.

So then we consider how the Company's ride portfolio exploded after the construction of WDW, then the global parks. That's a lot of projects to undertake for a lot of assets.

From my perspective, I can't believe they are able to do as much as they do with the amount of work that exists.

It's not all "padding Company profits" and going to Iger's "bonus." That's not how budgets and projects work, that's not how any of this works.
    A typical Wiggins post goes like this but not necessarily in this order
    1. Disney guest experience, degraded by Iger/ chapek to increase their bonus
    2. Disneyland maintenance degraded by Iger/ Chapek to increase their bonus
    3. Everything shorcutted by Iger/ Chapek to increase their bonus
    4. Price increases by Iger/ chapek to increase their bonus
    Did I leave anything out?

Originally posted by CHL2T View Post

A typical Wiggins post goes like this but not necessarily in this order
    1. Disney guest experience, degraded by Iger/ chapek to increase their bonus
    2. Disneyland maintenance degraded by Iger/ Chapek to increase their bonus
    3. Everything shorcutted by Iger/ Chapek to increase their bonus
    4. Price increases by Iger/ chapek to increase their bonus
    Did I leave anything out?
    There's also usually some link to a forum post from 10 years ago. Or a weird reference that's only loosely related.

Or a "this is par for the course for Disney's apologists that dates back to Al Lutz on Usenet" type comment meant to belittle and disregard the differing opinion while also comparing his commentary to that of Al Lutz, which is frankly laughable.

My favorite? I don't think he's been to the park in over a decade. His only exposure to the product are these forums and Micechat's photo updates- which is an incredibly unreliable and biased way to consume the product, since he's only seeing the most extreme examples of poor service/maintenance and far less of the positive.

There's a reason this forum is the laughing stock of the online fan community.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
    Working...
    X