Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Over 25,000 people sign petition asking Disneyland to re-open at later date

The petition is at Change.org: https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-di...t-a-later-date

From the petition:

"The Disneyland Resort put out a statement on June 10th, 2020 to reopen the parks on July 17th, 2020. As you know, Covid-19 cases are rising and have not dropped. Many people have lost loved ones due to this pandemic and by reopening the parks they are endangering cast members and guests to be exposed to Covid-19. There are more cases now than when the parks closed on March 13th, 2020. Health Officials have stated that the 2nd wave of Covid-19 will be worse. So reopening before the 2nd wave even hits us is irresponsible and greedy. I understand everyone is rejoicing for the reopening of the parks but not during a pandemic where people are DYING, now is not the time.

On March 27th, 2020 Disney Parks released a statement, “the safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.” The solution would be to reschedule Disneyland to reopen the parks at a later date when cases of Covid-19 drop and Health Officials state it is safer for everyone but to still practice social distancing."

Wherever I go, whether running errands at the bank or store, or visiting our local public gardens that require reservations and masks/facial coverings, I see at least half the people are not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.

It's relatively easy for a theme park to require people entering the gate to be wearing facial coverings, but it's another matter to ask them to continue wearing them, to observe physical distancing guidelines, to be respectful to other people and think of a responsibility to the societal good.

Asking people to work at the jobs at essential services like grocery stores is a different matter than asking people who work at entertainment venues like theme parks to risk their health and the health of those they work with. Regardless of how much you want to return to Disneyland and enjoy it there, would you feel comfortable dealing with guests all day long in possibly close physical interaction if you were a Disneyland employee?

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
      Wherever I go, whether running errands at the bank or store, or visiting our local public gardens that require reservations and masks/facial coverings, I see at least half the people are not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.

It's relatively easy for a theme park to require people entering the gate to be wearing facial coverings, but it's another matter to ask them to continue wearing them, to observe physical distancing guidelines, to be respectful to other people and think of a responsibility to the societal good.

Asking people to work at the jobs at essential services like grocery stores is a different matter than asking people who work at entertainment venues like theme parks to risk their health and the health of those they work with. Regardless of how much you want to return to Disneyland and enjoy it there, would you feel comfortable dealing with guests all day long in possibly close physical interaction if you were a Disneyland employee?
      So wherever you go, you are at risk because people are not wearing masks or wearing them properly. So if you're already at risk, how is opening Disneyland a threat to you? You conclude with how do you think the employee at Disneyland feels being in close proximity to guests. Well, probably the same as all the other employees at the places you mentioned at first where people aren't wearing masks. I bet most are happy to be back at work and making money to pay bills, put food on the table, etc. If people don't want Disneyland to open, they shouldn't go. If they feel people not wearing masks poses a risk, then they should stay home completely because as you mentioned, people aren't wearing masks everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by hbdad View Post

So wherever you go, you are at risk because people are not wearing masks or wearing them properly. So if you're already at risk, how is opening Disneyland a threat to you? You conclude with how do you think the employee at Disneyland feels being in close proximity to guests. Well, probably the same as all the other employees at the places you mentioned at first where people aren't wearing masks. I bet most are happy to be back at work and making money to pay bills, put food on the table, etc. If people don't want Disneyland to open, they shouldn't go. If they feel people not wearing masks poses a risk, then they should stay home completely because as you mentioned, people aren't wearing masks everywhere.
        I beg to differ that everything you just brought up is more complicated than you think. If you scroll through the petition comments, there are a lot of CM’s expressing discomfort regarding the announcement, and it appears a lot of them don’t have a choice as to whether or not they should return to work. From an article regarding CM reactions: “Though Cast Members can receive unemployment at this time, some are still needing to go back to work for more funds to pay their bills and others are also worried about losing benefits if they do not return to work.” There’s also talk of some full-time CM’s having to transition to working part-time. Who knows whether or not they can even keep their health benefits with these changes.

As for the argument: “People don’t need to go to Disneyland if they don’t feel safe.” Disney is actively charging money from people who feel this way. A lot of AP customers are upset that Disney is not making the refund process easy or possible. I’m sure if they didn’t have that pool of money to pull from, the park would not be able to operate at all. They are literally leaning against their already existing customers and employees, many of which are the ones speaking out against this announcement. I’m sure there are some people who are ready to return, and are excited, but there’s also the majority that feel Disney is not keeping everyone’s best interest in mind.
        Last edited by Captain Andy; 06-13-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

As for the argument: “People don’t need to go to Disneyland if they don’t feel safe.” Disney is actively charging money from people who feel this way. A lot of AP customers are upset that Disney is not making the refund process easy or possible. I’m sure if they didn’t have that pool of money to pull from, the park would not be able to operate at all. They are literally leaning against their already existing customers and employees, many of which are the ones speaking out against this announcement. I’m sure there are some people who are ready to return, and are excited, but there’s also the majority that feel Disney is not keeping everyone’s best interest in mind.
          Disney may be actively charging people for their AP pass, but that is not the same as forcing people to go to the park. Charging people for their AP and reopening are two separate issues. I agree that Disney should allow people to opt out of the remainder of their contract if they choose. But that is a separate issue from whether or not Disney should reopen. If someone is so afraid of catching or passing on coronavirus, they should not go to Disneyland, even if that means paying for something they are not using.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I beg to differ that everything you just brought up is more complicated than you think. If you scroll through the petition comments, there are a lot of CM’s expressing discomfort regarding the announcement, and it appears a lot of them don’t have a choice as to whether or not they should return to work. From an article regarding CM reactions: “Though Cast Members can receive unemployment at this time, some are still needing to go back to work for more funds to pay their bills and others are also worried about losing benefits if they do not return to work.” There’s also talk of some full-time CM’s having to transition to working part-time. Who knows whether or not they can even keep their health benefits with these changes.
            I'm sure there are going to be CM who will feel uncomfortable or nervous. What is Disneyland to do, wait until every last employee is ready to go back to work before reopening? I'm sorry, but if you have been out of work for 3 months (really 4 by the time they open) and you feel unsafe at your place of employment, maybe you should get a different job. I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously, if your workplace makes you feel unsafe, get another job where you do feel safe. I refuse to believe Disney only hires bottom of the barrel people that cannot get a job anywhere else. As you pointed out, many CMs need to go back to work to make more money. So the alternative they are actually advocating is to remain closed and collect less money? That's backwards thinking.

Comment

The petition is at Change.org: https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-di...t-a-later-date

From the petition:

"The Disneyland Resort put out a statement on June 10th, 2020 to reopen the parks on July 17th, 2020. As you know, Covid-19 cases are rising and have not dropped. Many people have lost loved ones due to this pandemic and by reopening the parks they are endangering cast members and guests to be exposed to Covid-19. There are more cases now than when the parks closed on March 13th, 2020. Health Officials have stated that the 2nd wave of Covid-19 will be worse. So reopening before the 2nd wave even hits us is irresponsible and greedy. I understand everyone is rejoicing for the reopening of the parks but not during a pandemic where people are DYING, now is not the time.

On March 27th, 2020 Disney Parks released a statement, “the safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.” The solution would be to reschedule Disneyland to reopen the parks at a later date when cases of Covid-19 drop and Health Officials state it is safer for everyone but to still practice social distancing."
              Eight hours after your post, the number is nearing 30,000.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Any petitions out there to keep irresponsible and greedy Universal Studios, SeaWorld, LEGOLAND or any of the other theme parks from re-opening (some of which already have)? No? Just Disney? I did a search and couldn't find others.

I guess that's the issue with being the biggest guy in the yard; you'll always be the target. If this petition did work, would the same amount of people move their efforts onto the next park/company doing the same thing? I'd be willing to bet, no.

That said, has a Disney petition on change.org ever worked? I gave up after trying to save Tower and some of those petitions had over 35k signatures. 30,000 people sounds like a manageable day in the park.

Edit: After some digging, I managed to find one asking to not open Universal Orlando. Started 3 weeks ago and has a whopping 62 signatures.
                Last edited by Blurr; 06-13-2020, 08:10 PM.
                "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Assumed AP holders that don't want their passes to go active and burn away before they are comfortable with the risk? Not making fun of that perspective, as it is a real risk.
                  "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Asking people to work at the jobs at essential services like grocery stores is a different matter than asking people who work at entertainment venues like theme parks to risk their health and the health of those they work with.
                    As an essential grocery worker, I highly disagree with that statement.

Essential workers are at high risk as well, as we too are exposed to high amounts of people throughout the day. We also have to work. Quiting our jobs would not help us either, as other businesses are shut down temporarily (or even permanently) and not likely to be hiring any time soon.

I can relate to the CMs, as it's a Catch 22. Work and risk the exposure? Or quit and try to make ends meet?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Essential workers are at high risk as well, as we too are exposed to high amounts of people throughout the day. We also have to work. Quiting our jobs would not help us either, as other businesses are shut down temporarily (or even permanently) and not likely to be hiring any time soon.

I can relate to the CMs, as it's a Catch 22. Work and risk the exposure? Or quit and try to make ends meet?
                      My point was that re-opening an amusement/ theme park is not an essential service. Forcing people to risk their health as doctors, nurses, supermarket workers is bad enough, but forcing people in non-essential services to do so is putting the employees at unnecessary risk in light of the coronavirus situation.

Comment

I mean, then don't go to work but money can't just appear. Disney has done a pretty good job for the last 3 months there is NO end in sight for a cure they can't be closed forever.
                        I'm not heartless I understand this is a hard choice but if you can't work then pleaseeee don't, if you can't go to the park without a mask please don't go.
                        But the Virus as least in outside locations is much much harder to get especially with both people having masks, so hopefully those who really can't get sick can requests to work outside and hope they do not get it.
                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I'm sure there are going to be CM who will feel uncomfortable or nervous. What is Disneyland to do, wait until every last employee is ready to go back to work before reopening?
                          They don't have to "wait until every last employee is ready to go back to work before reopening" because they won't be needing "every last employee". They will just need enough to operate two parks that will be operating at 30% capacity or less, with majorly reduced entertainment (if any) and reduced hours. (The hours aren't posted yet, but at WDW at first, each park will only be open 10 hours a day). So they could survey their cast members, find out who's willing to come back to work, and invite the others to stay furloughed until they feel comfortable returning.
                          I'm sorry, but if you have been out of work for 3 months (really 4 by the time they open) and you feel unsafe at your place of employment, maybe you should get a different job. I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously, if your workplace makes you feel unsafe, get another job where you do feel safe. I refuse to believe Disney only hires bottom of the barrel people that cannot get a job anywhere else.
                          What if we're talking about a cast member who's over 65 and has been with the company for years or even decades. What if they're vested with the company, and rely on it for things like health insurance? You expect them to just go out and get another job and start at the bottom rung at that point in their life? It's only been 3 months. That's like a maternity leave.
                          Also, some people think that because someone is concerned about the virus, and wants to shelter in place, that it means that they've been spending their whole life as a germaphobe, and that's not the case. It's not that they "don't feel safe at their workplace". It's that they might not feel safe there NOW because of a temporary situation. Someone who's been there working for decades can't just take a few more months off?

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                            They don't have to "wait until every last employee is ready to go back to work before reopening" because they won't be needing "every last employee". They will just need enough to operate two parks that will be operating at 30% capacity or less, with majorly reduced entertainment (if any) and reduced hours. (The hours aren't posted yet, but at WDW at first, each park will only be open 10 hours a day). So they could survey their cast members, find out who's willing to come back to work, and invite the others to stay furloughed until they feel comfortable returning.
                            Agreed. So that's actually a point in favor of reopening since I'm sure at least 30% of CM would be willing to go back no problem.

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                            ​​​​​​
                            What if we're talking about a cast member who's over 65 and has been with the company for years or even decades. What if they're vested with the company, and rely on it for things like health insurance? You expect them to just go out and get another job and start at the bottom rung at that point in their life? It's only been 3 months. That's like a maternity leave.
                            Also, some people think that because someone is concerned about the virus, and wants to shelter in place, that it means that they've been spending their whole life as a germaphobe, and that's not the case. It's not that they "don't feel safe at their workplace". It's that they might not feel safe there NOW because of a temporary situation. Someone who's been there working for decades can't just take a few more months off?
                            Presumably, this type of employee you describe could fall under the condition you described above. Disney could take a survey and allow this person to remain furloughed. It is funny that you say, "it's not that they don't feel safe...it's that they might not feel safe there now because of a temporary situation." So first you argue against my point but then immediately concede the point they don't feel safe. And who is to say this is temporary? We don't know if there will be a 2nd wave or a vaccine. This could be with us indefinitely. A prudent person would seriously consider a new line of work if given their age or health, their current job puts them at risk of contracting a deadly virus. Or as someone else mentioned in another post, perhaps this 65 year old plus person could request a reassignment that puts them outdoors or away from guests.

Comment

I think when we talk about "essential services", the definition needs to change. Initially, the lockdown was put into place to flatten the curve to avoid hospitals getting overwhelmed. Outside of a few areas, not only was that accomplished, but the opposite happened: hospitals were empty and health care workers were being laid off or furloughed.

Now, what has become essential to people, is to be able to get back to work to save their businesses and/or feed their families. How are we going to tell people that their job is not essential, when it is absolutely essential to them, or they could be out on the street? And we can't keep printing and giving out money. As it is, the economy has been demolished, and it will take years or even decades to recover. Many doctors and health experts predict there will be far more deaths as a result of that, in the long term, then we will see from this virus. They are calling it the hidden casualties.

There WILL be spikes in cases as we re-open, as testing improves, as weather changes. It's going to happen, but we simply cannot stay shuttered in. Restaurants, theaters, theme parks, sports stadiums, all have to open, because they employ people who need to get back to work and we need to get the economic ship righted or it will go over the waterfall.

We need to do it carefully of course, and I think these companies need to be extremely understanding about those who don't feel safe, especially those who are older or who have immunodeficiency conditions (full disclosure, I'm among that second group). Making it voluntary with no penalties is a great start, but at some point even that will have to go away, and it can't be a year from now. I hate that we may need to wear masks, and not touch each other, and put up barriers, at least for now, but I understand it. However, that also will need to go away, and fortunately it seems many predict a vaccine coming sooner than was talked about just a month or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Which seems odd that we don't hear about (at least I haven't) high infection rates at grocery stores, home improvement stores, and county jails (San Diego Central Jail had 6 suspected cases. 5 of which turned out negative)

I still see the same friendly faces at all of our establishments in our community.

But now I will calmly wait for someone to flood me with more "statistics" and tell me how wrong I am...again.
                                We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Here’s an idea. It beats signing a petition. If you don’t want to go. Just don’t go. No one is forcing you to go to the parks. Here I am as an out of state AP with a 5 hour flight separating me from Disneyland and I’m saying this.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLeeHi View Post
                                    Here’s an idea. It beats signing a petition. If you don’t want to go. Just don’t go. No one is forcing you to go to the parks. Here I am as an out of state AP with a 5 hour flight separating me from Disneyland and I’m saying this.
                                    Here's another idea. It goes along with signing a petition. If you think Disney's theme parks will risk becoming centers of COVID-19 spread, don't sit still. Use social media, emails and letter writing to encourage Disney to delay the opening until they have developed, funded, staffed and rehearsed a comprehensive strategy to track and enforce strict social distancing and mask wearing for all guests on its property.

Disney has taken the high road in its public position on social injustice. It should do the same for public safety on its property during this pandemic.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLeeHi View Post
                                      I believe thousands of cast members will have a different opinion about "just don't go."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Here's another idea. It goes along with signing a petition. If you think Disney's theme parks will risk becoming centers of COVID-19 spread, don't sit still. Use social media, emails and letter writing to encourage Disney to delay the opening until they have developed, funded, staffed and rehearsed a comprehensive strategy to track and enforce strict social distancing and mask wearing for all guests on its property.

Disney has taken the high road in its public position on social injustice. It should do the same for public safety on its property during this pandemic.
                                        As long as Disney makes people social Distance, cleans rides and you must wear a mask it's pretty slim they will become that, I'm pretty Sure Disney is going to dot all that, so telling them not to open pretty much ever seems pretty bad for everyone.
                                        Disneyland closes, people loses jobs and we lose one of the best theme parks ever because the chance some people could be stupid? Life is all about calculated risk, you risk your life EVERY time you get in a car doesn't mean we stop people from driving.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X