Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting political and altering attractions. Necessary or plain silly?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting political and altering attractions. Necessary or plain silly?

https://www.ign.com/articles/jungle-...tain-criticism

Apparently, Splash Mountain getting the Tiana treatment isn't the only thing making some people uncomfortable. White colonialism and "savages" on the Jungle Cruise and throughout Adventureland, ethnic caricatures of the Tiki Room macaws, the small Indian village scene on Peter Pan's Flight, how cultures are represented on Small World. Heck, some people might even be offended by the fact a riverboat is called the Mark Twain, a dead author who wrote a controversial book called Huckleberry Finn. The list goes on. I know some things like the Native Americans depicted in Peter Pan have always been controversial, but why only now are certain people declaring their viewpoints concerning aspects of these rides? Are they actually triggered by everything happening in the country right now? Is it necessary to change certain details in the park to appease a majority?

Honestly, it would be a bummer if this happened and Disney caved into social demands as they did with the Pirate auction scene (altering Splash Mountain was already in the works before the virus and all this social crap started). For example, I just can't imagine Jose, Michael, Pierre, and Fritz without their iconic voices and personalities. Furthermore, removing all hints about the era the Jungle Cruise and Adventureland is based upon and changing the native village scene would suck. Sure the ride features details from the time period of colonialism and the views from that era, but on the ride, those details are made into a satire of said time period. It's a humorous satire to enjoy and not take too seriously. I'm all for plussing older rides but adding the Rock and too much from the upcoming movie to the Jungle Cruise would feel shoehorned and trendy. I like the ride's original exotic theme and the hokey skippers.

It seems so hilariously silly that people are suddenly getting emotionally triggered and butthurt over every minor detail of everything, especially before when nothing seemed to be a problem and no one was screaming their opinions from the mountaintops. I mean I've read some people getting offended by Dumbo because apparently, it makes a mockery of people with deformities. It's an elephant people relax and nothing about Dumbo in the parks ever features the crows (who despite what they represent do have a catchy song).

At this point I'm just rambling on, however, I can' help but facepalm at what people are taking dead seriously. Are these things really issues Disney needs to address, or should some people just shut up and grow a pair? Shouldn't they be focusing their efforts on helping our nation and the real world instead of whining about a theme park? To me, these snowflake crybabies are being goofier than Goofy.

Oh boy. Keep your hands and arms inside at all times and hold on. Permanecer sentado, por favor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4KhyxGQTxw

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by flyer713 View Post
      ...Are these things really issues Disney needs to address, or should some people just shut up and grow a pair? Shouldn't they be focusing their efforts on helping our nation and the real world instead of whining about a theme park? To me, these snowflake crybabies are being goofier than Goofy.
      Trolling much?

068k.png

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Trolling much?

068k.png

1000%. I have thoughts, but are they worth sharing to a troll? No.

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post

1000%. I have thoughts, but are they worth sharing to a troll? No.

Nope.
          My thoughts exactly as well.
          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Trolling much?

068k.png

Get off your high horse again. It's his opinion, and it's valid. Sure, he could express it better, but you are being INCREDIBLY self-righteous and condescending to simply disregard hims as a "troll". Intellectually dishonest as well, because you know he isn't. He spent four large paragraphs articulating a perfectly valid opinion based on recent events, and you cherry-pick a few sentences you don't like and dismiss the whole thing. Get over yourself man.

Comment

I see the liter box in our future.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboyone View Post

Get off your high horse again. It's his opinion, and it's valid. Sure, he could express it better, but you are being INCREDIBLY self-righteous and condescending to simply disregard hims as a "troll". Intellectually dishonest as well, because you know he isn't. He spent four large paragraphs articulating a perfectly valid opinion based on recent events, and you cherry-pick a few sentences you don't like and dismiss the whole thing. Get over yourself man.
                "Emotionally triggered", "Shut up and grow a pair", "snowflake crybabies" = "Well, it's his opinion. Not to mention, intellectually honest"

"...Troll" = "Oh my god! Shut up already and get over it! You condescending egotist!"

Paraphrasing, obviously
                Last edited by jacob555; 06-30-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Really?

No, really?!?

Geesh.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X