This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/16: Harmony

Kevin on how sometimes the little things mean a lot, discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/16: Harmony

Good article. I'm glad that, as a frequent visitor, you and your family are able to experience what some of us "once-every-coupla-years" visitors feel about WDW.

I'd be interested in your views on the Pirates League make-overs as, price aside, the reviews have been enthusiastic and apparently the theming and attention to detail are very good.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Comment

Loved the article. I agree that the barber shop is one of the last quaint things still on Main Street USA. Now that I recall, I don't think I've seen the double deck buses on Main Street in a very long time.

Comment

I have that very same certificate with my grandson's name on it in a scrapbook from our 1997 trip to Disney World. The barber shop was in a different location at that time. If I am remembering correctly, it was way at the other end of Main Street near Crystal Palace. I think it's new location is perfect. I usually stop there myself for a trim.

First come, first served. It is fun to have your own hair trimmed, and fun to watch the other people getting their "special disney sprinkles and gel". I have even done that myself.

There's still a lot of magic to be found, if you just stop long enough before you run down Main Street.

Great article.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the barber shop has moved since the place opened. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
            I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the barber shop has moved since the place opened. Am I wrong?
            Oh no, I am definitely sure. It was not in the corner of Town Square where it now sits. I'll have to find a 1997 map, but I am 100% sure of this fact.

I found my 1997 map, but it does not show the location of the Barber Shop. I wish that I had saved my Birnbaum Book from back then, because that is where I discovered that there was a barbershop at the Magic Kingdom. It was our grandson's first trip to the Magic Kingdom, as well as ours, and getting the haircut was a whole lot of fun.
            Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

I couldn't agree more. We go to Disneyland maybe twice a month (from Las Vegas) and when I talk about what needs improvement in the park, it's not that I am nit-picking, it's because I love my park, and I want to see it taken proper care of.

First step? Removing Ed Grier from his post.
              "Think of all the joy you'll find, when you leave the world behind, and bid your cares goodbye..."

Comment

That was just the sweetest story, Kevin! Very respectful towards the monorail pilo. I've never been to WDW, but I'm glad they have the barbershop, too!
                Oo-de-lally!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  Oh no, I am definitely sure. It was not in the corner of Town Square where it now sits. I'll have to find a 1997 map, but I am 100% sure of this fact.
                  Please post any info you can find - I love to learn new stuff!

Comment

monorail accident & the barber shop

Originally posted by AliKzam View Post
                    That was just the sweetest story, Kevin! Very respectful towards the monorail pilot. I've never been to WDW, but I'm glad they have the barbershop, too!
                    Kevin, I've read many of your articles and that was by far my favorite!
                    Thank you!

And I liked getting a haircut on Main Street. When I was young I split off from my family and got a haircut without telling them. Then when we reunited I had the silent pleasure of watching one relative notice and argue with the others about whether or not I got a haircut.

--Tom Sinsky

Comment

Originally posted by AliKzam View Post
                      That was just the sweetest story, Kevin! Very respectful towards the monorail pilo. I've never been to WDW, but I'm glad they have the barbershop, too!
                      They have a barbershop at Disneyland too?? Where?
                      FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Comment

What a really sweet story!
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Thank you, Kevin!

That was a sweet story... Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get my haircut there next Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by indyIluvu View Post
                            They have a barbershop at Disneyland too?? Where?
                            No barbershop in DL. I vaguely remember that Walt wanted one (just like
                            the lingerie shop), but I don't remember it was there for the opening.

If memory serves, DLP has one as well.

Comment

Great article Kevin, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being critical. As academics, we're trained to criticize everything; challenge every line of reasoning even if it means we're the only ones paddling against the tide. That's part of what differentiates your writing from other styles. Despite what people might say (you're too negative, etc.), if you did listen to all their criticisms (how can you 'criticize' criticism without yourself becoming the same beast, although I digress) and reacted your style to it, you'd become just another blip on the radar screen; you'd lose your competitive advantage. I look forward to reading stuff that I don't always agree with.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X