• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Lutz
    MiceAge Founder & Editor
    MiceAge Columnist
    • Jan 2005

11/6: Open Before X-mas

Sue sees Christmas Carol at the El Capitan... discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Re: 11/6: Open Before X-mas

I was waiting for your review Sue as we have the same opinion on Polar Express (and Motion Capture). Although I have to admit, on subsequent viewings I find myself liking Polar Express more and more.

I'm glad the movie got the seal of approval from you. We would have seen it anyway, but now I'm a little more excited to see it.

Don't think we'll see it this weekend (still too early for Christmas) but sometime in the next couple of weeks for sure. Maybe this will be the time we actually go to see a movie at the El Capitan as I'm the only one in our family who hasn't yet.

Comment

• VonBaroketch
      New MiceChatter
      • Mar 2009

I always see films at the El Cap as well, and I admit I look forward to the Soda Fountain special sundaes as much as I do the films. Can't wait to try the candy cane sundae, although I am sure it is similar to the peppermint sundae (the first one I ever had there, by which I measure the rest!). Did you try Oogie Boogie's sundae? WOW!
      Ludwig von Baroketch
      sigpic
      Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

Comment

• Disneykin Kid
        • Mar 2005

I only want to know one thing - is it as good as the Alastair Sim version? That's the best version, IMO. Even though it's in B&W, it gets the emotional tone right.

Comment

• Director_Guy
          Ne'er Do Well Cad
          • May 2009

Not a Jim Carrey fan? What about Michel Gondry's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Also, Scrooged is my favorite Christmas movie. I'm glad you mentioned it (briefly).
          www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Comment

• wulfblat
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Having seen the trailers for Disney's latest version of A Christmas Carol, I have to remain pessimistic. The motion capture in the trailer looks as distracting as it was in the Polar Express. Also much of the trailer was filled with action sequences quite unfaithful to Dickens.

I'm rather a purist when it comes to A Christmas Carol (I have been reading the story every year for the past 25 years), and would rather it be fairly faithful, like the Alastair Sim version (or more recently, the Patrick Stewart adaptation), or something that keeps the spirit, but totally retells the story with different characters and settings, like Scrooged or A Black Adder Christmas (or for an earlier different approach, see an American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler, but prepare to cringe at the ghost of Christmas yet to come).

Comment

• Outlander
              Cursed with nostalgia...
              • Oct 2008

You've given me hope for this film now. Although as wulfblat asked above, are the "action sequences" shown in the trailer out of place in the film?

And I always love El Cap showings, but I'm still bitter at Jimmy Kimmel for taking over the amazing interactive center they used to have after each movie.

Comment

• whamo
                MiceChatter
                • Jun 2007

The film has been getting mixed reviews. I think I'll wait for the DVD. It'd be hard to top the black-and-white version. I did enjoy the trailer.

Comment

• Aladdin
                  Prince Ali
                  • Jan 2005

I still despise the "look" of Polar Express, and can't bring myself to like it at all.

So, your review gives me some hope that this movie might be ok.

But since this movie is suppose to play through New Years, does that mean "Princess and the Frog" won't have showings at the El Capitan? THAT is really sad

I was really hoping for another blow out special event, like they did for "Enchanted" or "Haunted Masion"

Guess that's why D23 decided to have their special showing on the Disney Studio lot.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• richboi117
                    jeffrey
                    • Jul 2007

I watched this movie on Friday (here in the Bay, not at the El Cap) and I was SO impressed. I was expecting something stupid...cuz it looked stupid; I was totally wrong. It's absolutely beautiful and the 3D is amazing (no headache after!). GO SEE IT!

Comment

• BassBone
                      is too darn hot.
                      • Mar 2007

I saw the film and I thought it was brilliant. One of the best retellings of A Christmas Carol ever. It was beautiful and well-acted and extremely faithful to the source material. Jim Carrey was nothing short of brilliant.

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                      I still despise the "look" of Polar Express, and can't bring myself to like it at all.

So, your review gives me some hope that this movie might be ok.

But since this movie is suppose to play through New Years, does that mean "Princess and the Frog" won't have showings at the El Capitan? THAT is really sad

I was really hoping for another blow out special event, like they did for "Enchanted" or "Haunted Masion"

Guess that's why D23 decided to have their special showing on the Disney Studio lot.
                      Princess and the Frog is showing at the Disney Studios. It is a complete blowout event and it's not just D23. You should buy tickets.
                      The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X