• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angie_Duke
    replied
    Re: 11/17: New to Me

Originally posted by Hazelrah View Post
    You are correct. They did the same thing several months ago with the Sid Cahuenga shop at the front of the Studios, which is also neon. these 2-D painted flat signs are similar to the printed scrims that have popped up in recent years to mask rehabs on exteriors. So they're actually a good thing, rather than removing the sign completely for rehab, or covering it with a tarp or something.
    Yay! Good for them indeed as Kevin said. I wonder would it be possible now to do some sort of LED effect to look like the neon but function more reliably?

Leave a comment:

• KevinYee
    replied

Originally posted by Hazelrah View Post
    So they're actually a good thing, rather than removing the sign completely for rehab, or covering it with a tarp or something.
    In that case, yes, absolutely, good on them!

Leave a comment:

• KevinYee
    replied

Originally posted by DrMemory View Post
    This seems to contradict itself. The stations in Future World were discontinued and abandoned AND they remain staffed and untouched? Clearly a mistake/typo, so what was this meant to say?
    Good catch. That should have read they were UNstaffed (and untouched).

Leave a comment:

• Rocker
    replied

I think you did a good job on your round-up, Kevin. I've only been to Walt Disney World once, and that was in 2003, so I can't say very much about all this. If anything, I wonder what changes they are bringing to Space Mountain (apart from the upside down astronauts).

I vaguely remember the Tomarrowland Transit Authority, but replacing the audio with characters narrating throughout the tour? It makes sense, since the Tomarrowlands all over the world are featuring several Disney characters in thier attractions.

The tequila bar over in the Mexico pavilion sounds cool; if I ever go again, I would like to try the tequila bar.

As for the removal of the Kidcot stations...no comment.

Leave a comment:

• DrMemory
    replied

"The Kidcot stations in Future World were quietly discontinued several weeks ago, freeing Disney from needing to man the locations and presumably saving a bundle in the process. Now, the former stations are just abandoned wall displays. The Kidcot stations in Future World remain staffed and untouched."

This seems to contradict itself. The stations in Future World were discontinued and abandoned AND they remain staffed and untouched? Clearly a mistake/typo, so what was this meant to say?

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

My grandson discovered the Kidcot spots in Epcot during our 2003 vacation. I visited them myself on several previous vacations as well. It was a unique way for kids to have fun in Epcot.

Leave a comment:

• Hazelrah
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'd wager the GMR signs are temporary signs so the primary signs can be taken down and rebuilt/repaired.
    You are correct. They did the same thing several months ago with the Sid Cahuenga shop at the front of the Studios, which is also neon. these 2-D painted flat signs are similar to the printed scrims that have popped up in recent years to mask rehabs on exteriors. So they're actually a good thing, rather than removing the sign completely for rehab, or covering it with a tarp or something.

Leave a comment:

• StevenSokulski
    replied

Originally posted by Kevin Yee
    The original idea to DAK had been to leave some trails unmarked and some animal exhibits unheralded, the better to reward exploration and discovery (for its own sake). I grew to admire and like that philosophy, but I can see why current operators wanted to label an exhibit, especially if the vast majority of the visitors were otherwise just going to ignore it.
    I, too, appreciate the fact that many things are hidden in Animal Kingdom. While it probably contributes to many passing tourists' dislike of the park in favor of MK or Epcot, but I also feel that it is what firmly entrenches DAK as the perfect park for Annual Passholders.

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'd wager the GMR signs are temporary signs so the primary signs can be taken down and rebuilt/repaired.
    Let's hope! Too many "temporary" additions or replacements have become permanent features over the years.

Thanks for great round-up, Kevin.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Good article. But I wanted to note that the astronauts have been returned to the lift hill in Space Mountain. Someone posted a video that was taken last week in the SM thread in the MK forum.

Leave a comment:

• Mickey_Mouse
    replied

It's cool living in Orlando, now, as I've seen most of these changes happen.

I was at Magic Kingdom on Saturday, and they had been running soft openings on Space Mountain earlier that day. I rode the TTA, and the astronauts were back, but the lights were back on.

I was hoping to get to ride it this week, but my wife caught a flu, so no magic kingdom for us for about a week. I'm excited to get back and ride it!

We did catch the Tiana's Jubilee, and we loved it. If this is what the movie is like, Disney will have a hit on their hands.

Leave a comment:

• Al Lutz
    started a topic 11/17: New to Me

11/17: New to Me

At Disney World it's all in the details, discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X