This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12/1: Thanks a Million (APs)

Actually Al mentioned this a few years ago, and asked if people minded if he continued to do the jokes. Most people said no, use it for its intended purpose, but he ignored them.

Comment

Not to sound cranky but I wanted to point out that not all APs fit the description Al gave of folks arriving alone in their own cars.

My family of four was part of the crowd in the days before Thanksgiving. We try to visit Disneyland about once a year, usually buying a 4 or 5 day Park Hopper. We stay at a local hotel and either walk or take the hotel shuttle. (BTW since we generally visit in July it didn't seem too crowded, in fact the mornings were pretty empty, especially in Fantasyland.)

This year because it's likely our oldest daughter will attend college next year in So Cal, thus meaning a trip to the area next summer, we upgraded our 4 Day Park Hoppers to Deluxe APs because it made economic sense. (It only cost us the cost of a single day Park Hopper.)

I point this out because it seems that Al and many of the people who hang out on Mice Chat grumble about crowds caused by APs but since many seem to visit Disneyland a lot more frequently than we are able to I assume they have Annual Passports. I agree that management needs to analyze park attendance and make staffing adjustments to compensate for crowds, but I'm not sure being cranky about how many APs enjoy the park is appropriate.

It may be that, like my family, many folks find that having Annual Passports just makes economic sense. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I wanted to share what's perhaps a different perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by rstar View Post
        Yup, I just figured that out. I had a "Duh" moment and came back to post it. It just goes to show how good David is that he got such a great shot from a moving monorail!

And while Mickey is rather odd looking, David could have had second thoughts before naming it. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, though.
        Gives me a good idea... Shouldn't the monorail pause in the esplanade for a photo opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by Swisskapolka View Post
          Not to sound cranky but I wanted to point out that not all APs fit the description Al gave of folks arriving alone in their own cars.

My family of four was part of the crowd in the days before Thanksgiving. We try to visit Disneyland about once a year, usually buying a 4 or 5 day Park Hopper. We stay at a local hotel and either walk or take the hotel shuttle. (BTW since we generally visit in July it didn't seem too crowded, in fact the mornings were pretty empty, especially in Fantasyland.)

This year because it's likely our oldest daughter will attend college next year in So Cal, thus meaning a trip to the area next summer, we upgraded our 4 Day Park Hoppers to Deluxe APs because it made economic sense. (It only cost us the cost of a single day Park Hopper.)

I point this out because it seems that Al and many of the people who hang out on Mice Chat grumble about crowds caused by APs but since many seem to visit Disneyland a lot more frequently than we are able to I assume they have Annual Passports. I agree that management needs to analyze park attendance and make staffing adjustments to compensate for crowds, but I'm not sure being cranky about how many APs enjoy the park is appropriate.

It may be that, like my family, many folks find that having Annual Passports just makes economic sense. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I wanted to share what's perhaps a different perspective.
          You don't sound cranky enough. Crank up that crankometer!

I am cranky toward Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) for not solving the problem in the most effective (but explosive) way possible. I am cranky at them for exascerbating every problem that is caused by the existence of the AP Program, by making AP's even more economic sense to so many more people.
          I know where the blame lay.

Comment

I'm going to give you the opposite advice, Sediment.

Comment

Originally posted by Swisskapolka View Post

I do agree with you on this. I personally don't think Al was trying to make all AP's out to be like this. My wife and I used to be AP's, but the hike in prices kicked out of the afforadbility for it. We didn't feel entitled to everything. We were just thrilled we could go more than twice a year with the passes.

From a non-AP perspective, I can see how the crowd control issues would bother. These people who can't come as often or can't afford the AP's (like my wife and I) want to enjoy their experience. With too large of crowds, too long of waits, etc., the average guest can't enjoy it. Look at the parking issue, it seems that more than half the garage is APs. Maybe if they took away the free parking option on the APs, more would park in the Downtown Disney parking or somewhere else.

Now, we have a trip planned for around the time World of Color Opens, I would love to see it, but I know all the AP's will come because they can (it's free to them in a sense) which will in turn ruin our chances (the tourists who can only afford 1 time a year) of seeing the show we've been waiting so long to see. Or, we spend all day waiting to see the show and miss out on our two days at the park.

I also think the issue with Disney is that they continue to hike up the prices of EVERYTHING. It is no longer affordable to go to Disneyland unless you are an AP. But paying over $900 for two Annual Passes is crazy. I think they need to minimize the benefits of the passes in ways that can control the crowds better around peak seasons (which is EVERY season now).

On another note, you didn't sound cranky.
              http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyCBeard

http://www.facebook.com/Coach.Casey.Fitness

www.beachbodycoach.com/caseyb

www.myshakeology.com/caseyb

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                I'm going to give you the opposite advice, Sediment.

Where's my crankystick?? whoop some crank on you....

Comment

Disneyland and Metrolink should be coordinating with each other to more effectively reduce automobile trips. At the moment, very few guests seem to arrive by train.

Disney should also consider creating a special shuttle that can operate between Disneyland and The Disney Stores.

There's absolutely no excuse for so many Disneyland guests to arrive by car when the rail system is as convenient as it is. Metrolink trains just need to increase their ridership so that they can operate later in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                    Disneyland and Metrolink should be coordinating with each other to more effectively reduce automobile trips. At the moment, very few guests seem to arrive by train.

Disney should also consider creating a special shuttle that can operate between Disneyland and The Disney Stores.

There's absolutely no excuse for so many Disneyland guests to arrive by car when the rail system is as convenient as it is. Metrolink trains just need to increase their ridership so that they can operate later in the evening.
                    you mean:
                    There's absolutely no excuse for so many Disneyland guests to arrive by rail when the car system is as convenient as it is.
                    1. Car system has a special exit from Southbound 5, even from the carpool lane.
                    2. AP Program allows prepaid annual parking, making the marginal cost $0.
                    3. Car system allows coming and going as you like. Rail system requires complete pre-planning.
                    4. Car system has a free tram that takes you very close to the front entrance.
                    5. Car system has parking close to walk to the front entrance.
                    6. After some number of rail riders, packing them into a car is cheaper. (Depends also on distance from park.)

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                      you mean:
                      There's absolutely no excuse for so many Disneyland guests to arrive by rail when the car system is as convenient as it is.
                      1. Car system has a special exit from Southbound 5, even from the carpool lane.
                      2. AP Program allows prepaid annual parking, making the marginal cost $0.
                      3. Car system allows coming and going as you like. Rail system requires complete pre-planning.
                      4. Car system has a free tram that takes you very close to the front entrance.
                      5. Car system has parking close to walk to the front entrance.
                      6. After some number of rail riders, packing them into a car is cheaper. (Depends also on distance from park.)
                      The StationLink shuttles from the Metrolink Station at Anaheim Stadium are very convenient and they provide express service that is timed to the arrivals and departures of the trains. The shuttles stop at both the Harbor Boulevard pedestrian entrance and the Disneyland Hotel. So, the walking distances are, in most cases, shorter by taking the train.

Ridership increases can allow Metrolink to reduce its fares and to run more frequent trains. And, Metrolink even offers its own group rates. Disneyland and Metrolink should do more cross-promotion with free tickets and discounts for certain annual-passport holders and other guests, and that pre-paid parking option you mentioned loses its appeal when the rail system demonstrates its superiority. Arriving at Disneyland by train is so much more civilized and relaxing since no one has to drive. The only problem is that the trains don't run late enough for most people, but, again, this situation is the result of ridership.

I find curious the fact that Disney has been so instrumental in pushing the State government to build high-speed rail, and, yet, the company has done virtually nothing to promote Metrolink among guests.

Comment

The quick way to empty the lot would be to offer discounted parking to AP's instead of one year passes. If an AP has to pay say $10 for parking per visit then chances are they won't go alone. Disney would essentially be pulling in more money, while also encouraging carpooling behavior.
                        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

The StationLink shuttles from the Metrolink Station at Anaheim Stadium are very convenient and they provide express service that is timed to the arrivals and departures of the trains. The shuttles stop at both the Harbor Boulevard pedestrian entrance and the Disneyland Hotel. So, the walking distances are, in most cases, shorter by taking the train.

Ridership increases can allow Metrolink to reduce its fares and to run more frequent trains. And, Metrolink even offers its own group rates. Disneyland and Metrolink should do more cross-promotion with free tickets and discounts for certain annual-passport holders and other guests, and that pre-paid parking option you mentioned loses its appeal when the rail system demonstrates its superiority. Arriving at Disneyland by train is so much more civilized and relaxing since no one has to drive. The only problem is that the trains don't run late enough for most people, but, again, this situation is the result of ridership.

I find curious the fact that Disney has been so instrumental in pushing the State government to build high-speed rail, and, yet, the company has done virtually nothing to promote Metrolink among guests.
                          I need to see superiority before I believe it.
                          Please explain how it is superior.
                          Currently:
                          1. It costs more, unless you're traveling by yourself.
                          2. It is inconvenient for most of the 10 million+ residents in the area. "Walking distance to a station" is considered "convenient."
                          3. Most starting places on Metrolink will require a transfer and thus more travel time. So, "convenience" is currently limited to those on the Orange County Line, and south of Disneyland.
                          4. Metrolink is subsidized. That means any special attention provided to Disneyland patrons (later trains, etc.) could be perceived as spending public money for the benefit of a specific private enterprise. Maybe if Disney were to chip in, it wouldn't be so egregious. But then, Disney would do this only for a direct return of the investment. Until "the single cause" is eliminated, Disney has no incentive.

Comment

On its own the Special Olympics joke is pretty bad. Taken in context with the other jokes does take the edge off of it. Here are the captions for anyone who didn't read them before...

"Special Olympics Mickey?"
                            "Celebrate finding a parking space"
                            "Mickey protects pardoned turkey from hungry CMs"
                            "Honey. I Smell Money"
                            "Handy dandy list for Tom"
                            "Tiana Turner Revue - river deep, mountain high"

While I realize this isn't the proper use of the alternate text field... it's funny! The Celebrate comment had me doubled over.
                            "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

What is the solution to the overcrowding problem? Getting rid of payment plans for APs is a good start IMHO.

Comment

Alas. I'm a no-good AP'er.

But I waited 25+ years for this nonsense. I'd lived in northern CA for most of my life and all of my formative years. Those spare (once we'd moved north) trips to Disneyland made the place EVEN MORE AMAZING AND SPECIAL TO ME, if that were even possible. So, at least in that respect, I hope I'm not the average Entitled AP holder.

But I will say that I've found myself cursing the horridly busy nights (I'm looking at you, Rivers of America), the EXTREME LACK of parking OR ANY KNOWLEDGE THEREOF BY THE STAFF. Have you ever heard of Car Park 4?? Neither had ANY of the Disneyland castmembers in Parking. Really. I try to go on chill days, man. Winter, rain, or weekdays in summer when I can manage. I like to believe that I'm at least a CONSIDERATE passholder.

But, you know... maybe I'm not. I heard myself say at Believe In Holiday Magic, 'Jeez, none of these people has seen this before?!' Hey, guess what, jerk? NO. Some hadn't. A tough thing to remember when one lives a scant 12 miles away by surface streets and has a Deluxe pass burning a hole in her workaday pockets.

And that AP? About to expire. What do I want? A Premium. How am I going to get it? By paying monthly. Because they let me still.

But I'll concede that a family from across the country coming to find the magic that I did as a kid in those less-crowded thoroughfares will be disenchanted. I have NO doubt. It's HEINOUSLY expensive. If my folks had to pay then what kids' folks do now, I'm not sure I'd be the part of the Cult of Disneyland that I am.

SO.
                                Yep. For the greater good, I hate to admit that the AP program could use some real cut-backs. I'm not sure who doesn't have a job that they can ever even GO to the park on a So Cal pass b/c they are so limited. Wanna go in summer?? TOO BAD. At the very least, I think it's a good thing that ALL MAJOR HOLIDAYS are blacked-out for all but Premium passholders. Who wants to go on those busiest (or are they, w/ no passholders around?) days, anyway?

I am grateful for my pass, hate the crowds and really do feel for families and their children who may be coming for the first and only time.

Bring us your solutions, O Great Dis. It'll all be over soon but for the crying.
                                I'm only part MOOSE, as it is!

Comment

I'll be travelling out to DLR tomorrow by Metrolink, actually.

These station link shuttles that you mention, like the OCTA 430 are indeed convenient but run only on weekdays.

Were you to try to take a train out there on weekends, you'd have to rely upon the ART shuttles (or OCTA line 50) to get you to the park. Unfortunately, ART just altered their schedules and it's even less in sync with the Amtrak and Metrolink trains travelling north or south. On Saturdays and Sundays, you may need to wait as long as 40 minutes for a shuttle. That's not my definition of convenient at all.

Comment

Originally posted by brand42 View Post
                                    I'll be travelling out to DLR tomorrow by Metrolink, actually.

These station link shuttles that you mention, like the OCTA 430 are indeed convenient but run only on weekdays.

Were you to try to take a train out there on weekends, you'd have to rely upon the ART shuttles (or OCTA line 50) to get you to the park. Unfortunately, ART just altered their schedules and it's even less in sync with the Amtrak and Metrolink trains travelling north or south. On Saturdays and Sundays, you may need to wait as long as 40 minutes for a shuttle. That's not my definition of convenient at all.

From the Fullerton station catch the OCTA route 43 to the DLR - it travels down Harbor - runs every 15 to 20 minutes - even on the weekends - much easier than stopping at the Anaheim station and catching the route 50 up Katella.

Kim

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X