This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/17: Thanks, Roy

A few brief notes from the MiceAge staff on Roy Disney's passing yesterday... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 12/17: Thanks, Roy

I was at the Newport Beach Film Festival too, and the correct quote (seeing as how I wrote it down at the time, it was so awesome) was, "Michael, do you remember Old Yeller? We SHOT the DOG."

Roy really "got it", and will be sorely missed.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Comment

Did they literally shoot the dog?

I've wondered about this ever since I first read that quote.

Comment

Literally? Of course not. But in the story, the dog dies, and it was incredibly sad.

Comment

I use to take sailing classes at Orange Coast College's Newport Beach Facility. Roy, ad avid sailor, over the years donated some very high-end boats to OCC's sailing program.
          He will be greatly missed in many ways. Thanks Roy!

Comment

Thank you Al, and all the other staff that contributed to this. Roy definitely deserved a dedicated place on MiceAge for a day and that was a fitting tribute to him. I never got to see Walt Disney or Roy O. Disney since they died before I was born, but I really feel that the 30 years I got to live with Roy E. Disney being alive was truly a gift. It gave me a sense of what it might have been like to have lived during the same time as Walt himself. Future generations won't be so lucky, but anyone around today should consider themselves privileged to have lived during an era where a true Disney was still heavily involved in the company.

Comment

I can barely read those articles without crying. I am about to embark on a life long dream to find a spot within the greatest company in the world and I am so inspired by Walt and Roy in my daily life that I can't even begin to believe. I am going to the Arts Institute out in Portland and will be studying Industrial Design and working my way slowly into the imagineering department with the Disney Co. I hope that even 30 years from now people don't forget that not only did it start with a Mouse but it started with Disney's and a dream.

Comment

Wah! =(

I'm just finding out about Roy's passing today and I'm sad to hear it. God help the Walt Disney company and give it the guidance and leadership that it needs!

Comment

I had the opportunity to see Roy in person and/or hear him speak a handful of times over the last few years. One was at the box office opening ceremony for The Lion King at the Pantages theater when that show came to Los Angeles (note to self: dig out pictures and video of that). Another was when he came to speak once or twice at NFFC events. The last time that I can remember seeing him was at the screening of The Little Mermaid accompanied by panel discussion at the El Capitan Theater in 2006. I was sitting by Al Lutz and Sue Kruse at that event, so Roy was also just a couple of rows in front of me. (After the panel, Alan Menkin sat right in front of us, too.) Roy was not there as one of the panelists. He was there just because. Loved him for that.

Like Sue, I remember back to when Walt died in 1966. I was probably around the 4th grade at the time. I still remember my mom telling us kids when she picked us up after school that Walt Disney had died. Growing up in Texas, I had not yet had the opportunity to go to Disneyland. But, our family watched The Wonderful World of Color every single Sunday night and the greatest dream of my life was to visit this place that Walt, with his enthusiasm, made seem like the most wonderful place in the whole wide world. I also remember being mystified the very next Sunday night when there Walt was on television. How could that be when he had died? At that young age, I did not understand the concept that most television programs were filmed ahead of time!

Disney has had an immeasurable impact on my life and who I am as a person today. I never got to see Walt in person, but, I've had the great priviledge to have seen, heard speak, or in many cases have met many of the incredibly talented people who helped him to create his films and parks. To all of them, and especially to Roy for what he did to help save Disney these last few years, "Thank You"!

Comment

Great homage to a very great man...Well Done! Roy, you were the guiding light for the company after your Uncle and Dad passed away. For 43 years you looked after the Disney company with a passion almost equal to Walt and Roy Sr..

One of your most memorable quotes was at the opening of EuroDisney. You were asked what Walt would have thought about it. Your reply was that:

"Well, he'd put his hands on his hips, look around and then try to fix about 100 things."

Thanks for the memories! You will be greatly missed! R.I.P.

Comment

Interesting you bring this up. I wasnt big on "The Little Match Girl" short because it was clear as day what was going to happen in the end. But I found the whole "unhappy ending" thing rather ironic after
                      Spoiler
                      watching Ray die in The Princess and the Frog
                      . The way I see it, Disney is supposed to be happy and optimistic and while I can understand why they would want to do a different approach with an unhappy ending I think Disney ought to try doing a little less pessimism and more on the bittersweet side of things. Having
                      Spoiler
                      Ray become a star in the sky next to Evangeline
                      is the kind of bittersweetness I've rarely seen in Disney films prior. Usually when a Disney character dies, that's pretty much it (with a few exceptions).

Hopefully people get what I am saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning509s View Post
                        Great homage to a very great man...Well Done! Roy, you were the guiding light for the company after your Uncle and Dad passed away. For 43 years you looked after the Disney company with a passion almost equal to Walt and Roy Sr..

One of your most memorable quotes was at the opening of EuroDisney. You were asked what Walt would have thought about it. Your reply was that:

"Well, he'd put his hands on his hips, look around and then try to fix about 100 things."

Thanks for the memories! You will be greatly missed! R.I.P.
                        He Help keep the TRUE Disney alive...that came from his Father and Uncle!..For that Iam very sorry of his passing.....and that he be gone!
                        But we as Disney Fan can be Thankful for time he
                        Help keep Disney Co.alive not once but twice!
                        he will be not forgotten!
                        Last edited by Eagleman; 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Roy, you will be missed.

Comment

Very nice article everybody!!!! :clap:

Comment

From reader Phil C., via email:

I think a better location for a tribute than the animation
                              building would be in front of (or as part of) the new Little Mermaid
                              rides going into DCA and Magic Kingdom. This would personalize the
                              tribute more by linking him to the character most associated with the
                              rebirth of animation.
                              Kevin Yee
                              MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                              Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                              Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                              Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                              Mouse Trap
                              Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                              101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                              Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                                From reader Phil C., via email:

I think a better location for a tribute than the animation
                                building would be in front of (or as part of) the new Little Mermaid
                                rides going into DCA and Magic Kingdom. This would personalize the
                                tribute more by linking him to the character most associated with the
                                rebirth of animation.
                                Not a bad idea.

Comment

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. " Gilda Radner

Comment

Roy Disney? A life lived well, on the sea, in animated fantasy, and in the board room. Only those who face the dangers of the sea comprehend its mystery, only those who with a solid understanding of reality know the importance of fantasy, and only those who care about the customer should head a big business.

Comment

Al, Sue and Kevin. Very nice tribute to Roy E. disney.. a conciencious artist that not only saved the Walt Disney Company twice... he made it bigger, bigger hearted and better than ever. In a world of rampant foreign takeovers of American companies... I believe in the magic of WDC that remains a multinational American enterprise, ever growing and inspiring peace, understanding, love, magic and joyous happiness "as long as there is imagagination left in the world".

Thank you Roy for understanding what is at stake... and for your unwaivering fight to preserve it.
                                      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

During the Save Disney campaign, I wrote a very passionate letter to Roy and Stan. I figured I was one of a million and was only trying to voice support for their movement and to show them that there were those of us out there who believe in what they were trying to do.

I was shocked to not only receive a response from Stan Gold's office, but was asked my permission to have the letter displayed on the front page of the SaveDisney.com website. A line in the response is something that I will hold very dear for the rest of my life. Mr. Gold's assistant had said, "Mr. Gold and Mr. Disney were both very touched by your letter of support and have directed me to ask your permission to post a copy of your letter on our website's front page, as they feel it summarizes the very goals they are trying to accomplish."

This is the type of person I'd always hoped Roy Disney to be. While I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, I feel a deep sense of loss that he is gone. He is the last "watchdog" of the Walt Disney Company. He cared about quality, not quantity. He was a fan himself, which I think was most important in his success.

I hope they find a way to honor him appropriately.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X