Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked. Approvals are done at least once per day, but they can't be done for accounts that have not verified their email address.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

1/26: Brave New (Disney) World

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/26: Brave New (Disney) World

"NextGEN" The newest vacation technology? Or is Mickey just stalking you? Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 1/26: Brave New (Disney) World

I would hope that you could opt out of this sort of data mining, but Disney may make it so your experience would be significantly diminished if you do so. Particularly your suggested "queueless waiting system." I don't like that one bit. I like FastPass just fine. It's not my fault if people don't read their park map and learn about it or ask a cast member.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

I would think that it would be more practical to have an animated princess (or character) deliver the message via CGI, this way they'd only need to record the voice. This sounds like a natural progression of the virtual porthole tech that they are using on the new Disney cruise ships.

I think I would rather the crowds be dispersed throughout the park (and walkways) than concentrated, in masse, near an attraction. Scenes of folks waiting outside a restuarant on a busy Friday/Saturday night spring to mind, with newcomers having to weave around others to make their way to the podium to "get on the list."

You've done a good job at bringing up many of the great utilizations and extreme abuses that could be done with RFID. While there is definitely the potential for such abuses, I think that, with all of these little tests that Disney is doing (baby steps, if you will) they are not only testing out the technology, but maybe also the guest's acceptance of it. So maybe by pushing it too far at times, they can gauge just where the line is that they can't cross. (at least that's my hope)

Comment

One of your better articles, thanks. I have no problem having the tickets being chipped.

If they go this route they will need to do wristbands for kids since I always hold the kids tickets, which would make personalization difficult for people with younger children.

Comment

Two corrections:

1) Pal Mickey used IR sensors, not GPS

2) RFID range is largely driven by the scanner, NOT the tag (though the tag does play a part). But regardless, ranges can be sufficiently far, here's one with a range of 15 feet AWID LR-2000 Sentinel-Prox Extra Long Range Reader Without Installation Kit

I don't agree with your "if/then" style of reporting as it veers into wanton speculation, but to each their own.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the Verizon phone app is some sort of testing ground because it's a locator and allows you to mark favorites- characters (the Evil Queen's named Grimhilde?), attractions, dining, etc.

I would assume, between the PR and customer comfort, they'd have some psychology work being done to smooth in this kind of transition- like how Honda designed Asimo to be the size of a small child or how store cards give discounts or Amazon's recommendations which scared me off using it as a merchandise search engine.
            my website: http://creamcheesealchemy.com

Comment

Good corrections, Giraffe Lounge, thank you. Writing 20 pages (double spaced) in just two sittings will cause me to brain fart sometimes.

The writing style is not reporting, if you ask me... I don't think of myself as a reporter, which is why I give myself the freedom to speculate sometimes. And express opinions. Naturally, I appreciate you reading all the same... perhaps all the more so even if you object to the style.
              Kevin Yee
              MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
              Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
              Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
              Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
              Mouse Trap
              Tokyo Disney Made Easy
              101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
              Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Wow Kevin. I just have to congratulate you on such an intriguing and thought-provoking article. I simply wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed it and could not stop reading it. I very much liked how you expressed both pros and cons to this rumored system.

I am afraid that we will see Huxley's version of "a brave new world," if we are not careful. One of my favorite thought-provokers in your editorial was that if Disney is paying $1 - $1.5 billion on such a system, since they are a business, where or how are they going to create a return of investment? I figure it will either be a large attraction like another gate, or maybe $1.5 billion is the pricetag of knowing EXACTLY what your customers are doing, thinking, buying, enjoying, etc. Strange to think how far this technology can cross into our daily lives one day.

Cheers to the individual freedom that we enjoy now! I fear the worst...

Comment

By the way, I just shared your article with a co-worker of mine who is not a Disney fan, and since your editorial's message can be understood away from the subject of Disney, I felt it was relevant. He was just as intrigued as I was. Again, great job!!

Comment

I realize that Kevin has had FastPass in his sights for a long time - but the flavor of the story seems a little idealistic on what Disney "will" do versus what it should do. I did not see any defense here in the story on keeping the queues because of the back story built in them, as he used to do in previous FastPass coverage. This will do the same, remove the need for a queue.

Also, making the interactive play element be the first point of discussion I believe does not show the real direction. As mentioned in a later paragraph, the goal will be (and always has been) to make money somewhere - so more carts and more souvenirs. With that - how many tweens or teens are allowed to separate from their families and go off on their own. THat usually means not too much money, which means hanging around with nothing to do while you wait. I know in years past loitering at Disneyland (where I am at) has been an issue and this opens the door a little for more of it at WDW. It's an assumption I know - but the laments in previous stories about price increases and declining degrees does not bode well for implementing a new service that creates more down time with nothing to keep you active.

I can only speculate on what could come from folks who miss their windows - last ride of the vacation and you missed it? I doubt that will stop some folks from finding a way onto the ride. Yes, standard queue, but when have you known someone who felt cheated out of something (even wrongfully assumed) who just backed down.

and finally - i hope the plan is not to build more ODV type carts all over the World's lands. I have only been three times but I like the wider walkways and open areas. if a 40x40 space is open somewhere that should not be a reason to build another cart.

yes, I focused on a lot of the negative. Kevin already pointed out a lot of positives - and there are plenty and I like them. I just don't see how the resort that has been cost cutting for a while, and focused on the higher end for investing construction for some time, would really focus on something for all guests for the good of the guest experience. UNless, of course, you can pay.

Comment

Great article! Personally I would rather have rides than this system. I did not like the wait and do something else system. I like fastpass mush better. I would perfer to put my name in a fastpass queue without having to walk over and get a ticket. Then I would then like to return at MY convenience. Other than that the other enhancements really don't seem to make my day any better. Let's build better attractions rather than better tracking systems.
                      Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

I sure hope that money is spent on a fifth park. I see that as having more payoff in the long run. Plus, it will likely make everything a little less crowded. It is getting bad lately and in my opinion, ruining the magic.

Comment

Because they'll know your name, they can really customize things. One online poster had heard about "good night" wishes delivered right in your Disney hotel room… by Cinderella appearing in the mirror and expressing her fondest wish that you, [insert girl's name], have a GREAT night! If true, this could also be expensive. Think about how many models they will have to hire for the recordings, and how many takes each model would have to do! (there are hundreds, even thousands, of names!) But it would also definitely add a spark of magic to that little child's vacation, no doubt about it.
                          Simple... do it animated like Crush and have someone simply read off the script on a per demand basis. There is no need to pre-record every possibility, and only storage/playback dictates if you'd have to 're-record' a reused name. You don't need visual actors, just voice actors. Outsource it to anywhere you want.

and I'm so tired of the 'guests don't know how to use FP' excuses. Then so what.. their loss. You can say the same thing about people who don't know which rides to get on first, so they lose out in a longer wait. Or they don't know about early entry, etc. You can't babysit everyone and hold everyone else back till they smarten up. You do your due diligence, you adapt as needed, and keep moving forward.

I also think the billion dollar number is being way too abused. You don't know anything about what this number is over. 1 year? 10 years? 30 years? You said it yourself... "Disney is looking to fundamentally re-invent the theme park experience". This isn't something you do with 'one attraction' or 'one hotel' or even a few. It's a fundamental shift in what can be done and how things are persued. That is why I believe this price tag thing is way over blown - people aren't seeing the big picture.

Comment

I just don't find this all that interesting. I couldn't even finish reading this article. Read just over half of it and couldn't go on any longer. Not sure why They would invest so much money into this unless there are biggers plans than any of us can even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                              Simple... do it animated like Crush and have someone simply read off the script on a per demand basis.
                              That's probably really likely, given that they invested so much in the Crush/Stitch technology to begin with. This is one of those D'OH moments I wish I had thought up myself before writing the article
                              Kevin Yee
                              MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                              Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                              Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                              Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                              Mouse Trap
                              Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                              101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                              Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X