Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

5/13: Engineering the Hat

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5/13: Engineering the Hat

    The Detailing of the Disneyland Railroad... discuss it all here...

    DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Engineering the Hat - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

  • #2
    Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

    awww... I was hoping this was going to be about the Hat in MGM Studios!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

      Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
      awww... I was hoping this was going to be about the Hat in MGM Studios!
      Nope--not about pointy hats! (although I agree that thing is a real eyesore).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

        It is always annoying when things looked better and more authentic at one point (usually under Walt) and then, for no good reason, they go all lame. I am glad they got rid of the 70's ink blot, it fit in about as well as hi-low shag carpet would have fit on Main Street.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

          Nicely written!



          "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

            Fascinating history & another great read, Steve! Well done! :thumbup:

            "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
            Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
            imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

            - Neil Gabler

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

              Thanks everyone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                now the question is which of the said hats do you own??

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                  Very cool history lesson, Thanks for Sharing the history of the Disney Railroad hat.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                    Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    now the question is which of the said hats do you own??
                    Now that is a question, isn't it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                      Aw geez Steve, could you at least wear a Kromer blue denim Style A cap?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                        If I had know that I'd be photographed, I might have worn my stripes!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                          This was a fantastic article, as usual. However, VERY disappointed about the Chinese-made junk, *especially* when there's an American-made counterpart available! I get frustrated when I can't find anything that's made in the United States, but I would pay twice as much to get a quality product over a Chinese-made piece of junk that's going to fall apart in a year or two, if I could actually find it.

                          The problem is that usually you can't even FIND an American-made alternative. But when there's one available and you don't take it because of cost (and it's really short-term cost because you'll end up replacing it MUCH more frequently), that is just shameful on so many levels.

                          All this nonsense about "globalization" and a global economy, and evolving from a manufacturing economy into a "service-based" economy just drives me crazy. There is absolutely no reason things couldn't be manufactured in this country... it's purely cost related and it just makes me upset when I see every single label in this country say "Made in China". We've upgraded our lifestyles in the past 20-30 years through cheaper manufacturing, but at the cost of our economic and political security. We are basically at the whim of China and the Middle East because they control our supply of goods nowadays.

                          Anyway, this is just *shameful* that Disney had the chance to stay in the country for manufacturing and they chose the supposedly cheaper route (although in the long-term it's probably going to be more expensive). It might be just a hat, but it's very upsetting because it's indicative of a much larger problem we've created in the past 20-30 years.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                            Originally posted by Athlonacon View Post
                            This was a fantastic article, as usual. However, VERY disappointed about the Chinese-made junk, *especially* when there's an American-made counterpart available! I get frustrated when I can't find anything that's made in the United States, but I would pay twice as much to get a quality product over a Chinese-made piece of junk that's going to fall apart in a year or two, if I could actually find it.

                            The problem is that usually you can't even FIND an American-made alternative. But when there's one available and you don't take it because of cost (and it's really short-term cost because you'll end up replacing it MUCH more frequently), that is just shameful on so many levels.

                            All this nonsense about "globalization" and a global economy, and evolving from a manufacturing economy into a "service-based" economy just drives me crazy. There is absolutely no reason things couldn't be manufactured in this country... it's purely cost related and it just makes me upset when I see every single label in this country say "Made in China". We've upgraded our lifestyles in the past 20-30 years through cheaper manufacturing, but at the cost of our economic and political security. We are basically at the whim of China and the Middle East because they control our supply of goods nowadays.

                            Anyway, this is just *shameful* that Disney had the chance to stay in the country for manufacturing and they chose the supposedly cheaper route (although in the long-term it's probably going to be more expensive). It might be just a hat, but it's very upsetting because it's indicative of a much larger problem we've created in the past 20-30 years.
                            Couldn't have said it better myself.

                            How can you POSSIBLY have a Made-in-China Engineer hats?? On that most-American of railroads? Yet, it is so. You can go to the manufacturer's website...It's literally a few cents difference between China made and USA made.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

                              The article mentioned something about the DL/Santa Fe breakup being rather messy, but this is the first I've heard of that. Is there an article out there somewhere that talks about it some more? I'd also be interested to see what relationship they had with the Monorail and other attractions, since that whole Retlaw thing has always interested me.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X