Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

World of Color Iger Steps In

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Color Iger Steps In

The World Is a Carousel of...Youth?here >>

Re: World of Color Iger Steps In

That is a GREAT article Chuck, really well done. However, I am very hesitant to cast any judgement on the show until I see the finished product on June 11 (or whenever I get in to see it after opening). Will it play well to a wide range of demographics? I hope so, but I don't know. It's a safe bet, though, that where the music may not connect with younger audiences the spectacle may pick up the slack and vice versa.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

Fantastic article.

I keep asking myself why any audience member has to have an immediate recollection of the song for it to be valid. If it's the first time you hear it, won't you forever after associate it with World of Color and DCA? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

I'm withholding judgment too, but I really have an honest fear that for the sake of current, relevant and now, they are bit by bit erasing the THEN. You know, the history of the park and the man who was responsible for it.

Comment

Oh man, I just hope they don't mash up the Sherman Bros. tune with "hip" sound effects the way they did Walt's opening-day speech for the 50th Anniversary parade. That was HIGH-larious.... :lol:
        Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks' Notice: A Photo-Packed Account of 17 Days in Japan! * All My Other Disney Trip Reports * Tweeting all things Disney @lurkyloo

Comment

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
          I keep asking myself why any audience member has to have an immediate recollection of the song for it to be valid. If it's the first time you hear it, won't you forever after associate it with World of Color and DCA? Wouldn't that be a good thing?
          Nope. Not if, like Bob Iger, you're not a creative showman whose job is to entertain, but a marketeer aimed at selling your brand to a specific demographic. You are trained to sharpen the focus of your brand by playing only to your core demographic (in this case, tweens & teens) and specifically excluding other demographics.

Iger's philosophy of modern corporate niche-marketing is the complete opposite of Walt's, as highlighted in this post.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

If the show sucks its because its too modern. Why can't they just combine both new Pixar stuff with old Disney Music and movies....it seems very easy to do to me.
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkyloo View Post
              Oh man, I just hope they don't mash up the Sherman Bros. tune with "hip" sound effects the way they did Walt's opening-day speech for the 50th Anniversary parade. That was HIGH-larious.... :lol:

I get the heebie jeebies when I think about that.

....and not the GOOD kind of heebie jeebies.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                I get the heebie jeebies when I think about that.

....and not the GOOD kind of heebie jeebies.
                Question, who ever gave you the GOOD kind of heebie jeebies?

Comment

I can't be the only one that despises whenever Disney tries to create "hip" versions of modern classics... In fact, I pretty much despise any music disney releases if it's not part of a animated soundtrack. I consider the early music to be timeless. Everything Disney makes now is dated as soon as the package is opened...

And honestly, even if the opening 35 or so seconds is heavy in nostalgia, how would the push people away from watching arguably the most epic water show in history? Just the special effects alone will probably draw people in, even the jaded "I hate Disney crap" locals.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                    I can't be the only one that despises whenever Disney tries to create "hip" versions of modern classics...
                    You're not.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

The Cheetah Girls will probably be as relevant to young audiences of the day as The Mickey Mouse Club’s Spin and Marty is to today’s kids.
                      I have to disagree, since i am young and to me the mickey mouse club is REALLY relevant.
                      Trips:
                      DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
                      WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
                      DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
                      TDL: July 2008, July 2010
                      HKDL: wishing it will be soon

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                        Question, who ever gave you the GOOD kind of heebie jeebies?

Good heebie jeebies can come from lots of sources. Nostalgic Disney creates good heebie jeebies.

(you sicko! haha)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Good article, though I wish we could still get some of the classic Disney stuff on the Disney channel even if it is only between midnight and 5am.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
                            Fantastic article.

I'm withholding judgment too, but I really have an honest fear that for the sake of current, relevant and now, they are bit by bit erasing the THEN. You know, the history of the park and the man who was responsible for it.
                            Heres a good way to think of it, take Mickey Mouse for example. Mickey 2010 looks very different than Mickey 1928 right? see Walt knew the importance of 'evoloving' Mickey to stay relevant to the current times. If he left Mickey looking like he did in 1928 then Mickey Mouse woulda been just like Betty Boop or Felix cat and forever stuck in the 30s.

Now apply that to World of Color, Iger doesnt want the old song from the old show, he wants to take the CONCEPT of World of Color and bring it into the new age. Much how Mickey evolved, Iger is evolving the concept of World of Color.

I think Iger made the right decision, while as a Disney fanatic Id LOVE to hear the original theme song played, however since this show is so high-tech and advance, it does seem kinda silly to start the show off with a grainy 1961 TV theme song.

Comment

Originally posted by Imag1neer View Post
                              Heres a good way to think of it, take Mickey Mouse for example. Mickey 2010 looks very different than Mickey 1928 right? see Walt knew the importance of 'evoloving' Mickey to stay relevant to the current times. If he left Mickey looking like he did in 1928 then Mickey Mouse woulda been just like Betty Boop or Felix cat and forever stuck in the 30s.

Now apply that to World of Color, Iger doesnt want the old song from the old show, he wants to take the CONCEPT of World of Color and bring it into the new age. Much how Mickey evolved, Iger is evolving the concept of World of Color.
                              Meaning no offense, to compare the brilliant Mickey designs of the post-Ub Iwerks era, with the blatantly marketing-driven Disney Channel generic-ripoff-of-everybody-else-on-the-music-charts style that's trendy among today's Disney execs, is ludicrous.

For those creatives who've had the experience of getting Team Disney Burbank notes, the idea of comparing the creative talent, showmanship experience and motivation of Bob Iger to that of Walt Disney is a bad joke.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X