X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6/5: Cars Land Guide

Originally posted by cruise View Post
    Since when does ANYONE in the Disney fan community call anything by its full name.
    That's of course true. But can't we call the Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe the FFP? Pig Cafe is just rude.

Comment

Generic Merchandise sells no doubt... but look at WWoHP. Specialized merchandise can sell too if it's done right. No one is asking for the shop to sell petrified tree bark. But with a franchise so perfectly made to move merchandise, you'd think someone would be bright enough to say "I bet tourists would buy a Carsland specific piece and a generic piece if we offered both, instead of just getting one generic option that is offered in every store." Not everything has to be as dull as an antique shop, there are ways this could have been made to work and the community is upset that those options weren't fully given a chance.

The worst part of it all is that there is a successful model in WWoHP, and so it is hard to watch Carsland fail out of the gate where others have succeeded. And don't give me the "Harry Potter is more popular etc. etc." thing, Cars has moved more merchandise for Disney than any other property has in a long time.
      Cars Land hasn't failed out of the gate on merchandise. It has been stated there are 3 stores. 2 stores sell appropriate land specific items. 1 store sells generic merchandise. They are offering variety. Exactly what you believe should be done, as do many of us. Sorry that you misunderstood and thought all threes stores will sell generic items.

Comment

Originally posted by TDSTOM View Post
        And lastly, let Al have his fun with this "Pig Cafe" thing. He's trying his dangest to make that name stick and it just won't. One day he'll over hear some CM use and then think it's a done deal. So let him have his fun for now until something brighter and shinier catches his attention and he moves on.
        Completely true. I work at Disneyland and have heard exactly zero Cast Members reference it as the "Pig Cafe". The only place I've heard it called that is in Al Lutz' columns.

In fact, the name that seems to be catching on is just simply "Fiddler". Simple, easy to say, easy to understand exactly what you're referencing.

Think about it: most folks (even many "Disneyphiles") don't even know who Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical are. Why would the name "Pig Cafe" have any chance of catching on? Explaining to the average person on the street why you're calling it the Pig Cafe would be even more tedious than explaining who Fiddler / Fifer / Practical actually are.

This is a meme that Al (along with possibly 1-2 of his more-embittered WDI sources) is trying to desperately make catch on. I highly doubt it will.

Comment

With all of the Pixarification being done to DCA, they really should have rethemed the Jumping Jellyfish with Finding Nemo along with Ellen doing voice overs.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
            That's of course true. But can't we call the Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe the FFP? Pig Cafe is just rude.
            FFP works too, I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would be upset with an abbreviation. So he chose one and went with it, everyone else can call it what they wish. I fail to see why its so rude, so why be so upset? Let him call it what he wants.

Originally posted by El Bandolero View Post
            This is a meme that Al (along with possibly 1-2 of his more-embittered WDI sources) is trying to desperately make catch on. I highly doubt it will.
            Also... he is either trying to make the name catch on or... wait for it... he just chose it because it does, in fact, flow. Don't place a motive unless you're sure. As of now, it's all speculative. It's fine to speculate, but let's not condemn the guy without any actual evidence.

Originally posted by socalkdg View Post
            Cars Land hasn't failed out of the gate on merchandise. It has been stated there are 3 stores. 2 stores sell appropriate land specific items. 1 store sells generic merchandise. They are offering variety. Exactly what you believe should be done, as do many of us. Sorry that you misunderstood and thought all threes stores will sell generic items.
            I never said I was under the impression that all stores sold generic stuff. Generic stuff belongs on BVS or in the other generic park shops, of which there are many. Does WWoHP carry any generic Universal merchandise? No, because that land is completely and utterly dedicated to its theme.

All this aside, you seem to be forgetting WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A CURIO SHOP!!! Of all places where there should not be generic merchandise, this seems the most screamingly obvious place not to do it!
            Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

All this aside, you seem to be forgetting WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A CURIO SHOP!!! Of all places where there should not be generic merchandise, this seems the most screamingly obvious place not to do it!
              I'll give you that one.

Comment

Also... he is either trying to make the name catch on or... wait for it... he just chose it because it does, in fact, flow. Don't place a motive unless you're sure. As of now, it's all speculative. It's fine to speculate, but let's not condemn the guy without any actual evidence.
                Fair enough on his motivations. But what is untrue is his implication that Pig Cafe is what TDA Cast Members are commonly calling it. If anyone in TDA is calling it that, it's definitely not close to the extent that Al is implying. Fiddler is the name everyone is using.

Comment

Originally posted by El Bandolero View Post
                  Fair enough on his motivations. But what is untrue is his implication that Pig Cafe is what TDA Cast Members are commonly calling it. If anyone in TDA is calling it that, it's definitely not close to the extent that Al is implying. Fiddler is the name everyone is using.
                  That's fair, although the last time he implied that was a few months ago. I've just been going with FFP, so maybe once this place actually opens we can all converge on one name!
                  Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                    I think the "Pig's Cafe" would be appropriate since they were the Three Little Pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
                      I think the "Pig's Cafe" would be appropriate since they were the Three Little Pigs.
                      They should just call it "Starbucks", since that is more understandable to Guests :thumbup:. Personally I prefer "The Pig Cafe".

As for Luigi's Flying Tires, I think it would work better if there were fewer tires or a larger play area.

Comment

It's named after pigs.

Comment

I like "Pig Cafe". I'm sure I'll make a pig of myself sometime in the future with its bakery goods.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                            It's named after pigs.

Sure, if he was calling it that in a playful, fun way. But he's not. Just listen to his tone on that podcast from last month. It's the way he says it that makes it kinda rude. Like I said, let him have his fun. He's not looking to swift with this one, and it will quietly go away once he finds something else to latch onto. Thank Gawd Roy Disney is dead and safe from Al's attack!

Thomas
                            "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Comment

Originally posted by mongstrol View Post
                              On another subject, it astounds me that so much money can be spent on an attraction like Luigi's Flying Tires only to have it turn out lackluster.
                              On still another note, it astounds me that so much money (and space) was devoted to a land with a single franchise from Pixar's 2 worst reviewed movies based only on the fact that it moves the merch. Yeah, sure the main ride will be fun, but it's not really innovative or inspired (Test Track with eye candy) and while I was never really that excited about Cars Land, Al's review doesn't change that for me.
                              The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by spajadigit View Post
                                On still another note, it astounds me that so much money (and space) was devoted to a land with a single franchise from Pixar's 2 worst reviewed movies based only on the fact that it moves the merch. Yeah, sure the main ride will be fun, but it's not really innovative or inspired (Test Track with eye candy) and while I was never really that excited about Cars Land, Al's review doesn't change that for me.
                                It would be closer to journey center earth in Japan based on quality of the ride. Being a test track fan I'm glad the direction they went. Wish a few more people shared your views. 3 hour lines aren't my cup of tea. If it takes merchandise tie ins to get great themed lands now, then so be it. Find me the next.

Comment

Originally posted by spajadigit View Post
                                  Test Track with eye candy
                                  And air time! Don't forget the air time!

Comment

I just noticed there's a wedding ring on Walt's hand on the new statue. I don't think he was married when he got to L.A. in 1923 which is the moment they meant to capture in the statue, right? What's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by ahitchins View Post
                                      I just noticed there's a wedding ring on Walt's hand on the new statue. I don't think he was married when he got to L.A. in 1923 which is the moment they meant to capture in the statue, right?
                                      Yup -- Walt and Lillian got married in 1925.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Having been able to go to the previews on Sat. and Sun. I have to give Disney an A+++ on Buena Vista Street and Carsland. Luigi's is not difficult to master if you pay attention and, if you have a partner riding with you, work together. The only people I saw having problems were couples who leaned in opposite directions at the same time. I loved Cars I and Cars II does not lessen my love of the franchise. You feel like you are in Radiator Springs in the movie. You can't ask for more than that. For those who want to complain there is a simple solution. Don't go. Stay far away. That way maybe the wait times will be less than three hours.
                                        Leonard
                                        "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X