• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Lutz
    MiceAge Founder & Editor
    MiceAge Columnist
    • Jan 2005

7/17: 57 Today

A reader favorite photo essay returns for the park's birthday ...Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Disneyland is 57 today - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp
  • Algernon
    terrifiednerds.com
    • Jun 2012

Re: 7/17: 57 Today

Don't forget Skull Rock Cove and the Pirate Ship.

When I was a kid I absolutely loved Disneyland. Years later, my little niece and nephew really liked it. But they didn't love it like I did. I often wondered why. Looking at these pictures you can see why. It's not the same Disneyland. These pictures are from a much more beautiful, magical and fun Disneyland. I was lucky enough to have been there. It's a world many people today will never know.

Comment

• badger hollow
      New MiceChatter
      • Jun 2012

Wow, thanks Al for the photo essay. It brings back a lot of memories from my early visits to the park in the 60s.

Happy Birthday Disneyland!

I can't believe it has been five years since my last visit.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
        Banned User

• Jul 2011

Thank you for the update!

Comment

• bigwavedave
          Dave
          • Oct 2006

Seeing those Astro Jets in the sky, man they need to move those back up there. They were an amazing ride probably my second favorite as opposed to their current local. Also I had no idea that Disneyland had a mule ride. Was that conidered a "B" attraction? Thanks Al for the photos, they were great!

I know a lot are opposed to bringing back old rides but I think most would make an exception for the Astro Jets!
          Dave

Comment

• churrocharlie
            New MiceChatter
            • Jul 2010

I miss the Swiss Family Robison Treehouse!

Comment

• Circa1966
              ...my first visit to DL
              • Jun 2008

Thanks for the Treasure Trove, Al. Good to see the pics from the past again

Comment

• jcruise86
                former CM

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by churrocharlie View Post
                I miss the Swiss Family Robison Treehouse!
                Don't they still have that at Walt Disney World?

Thanks for posting the photos!
                It makes me wish they'd republish my favorite book about Disneyland, "The Nickel Tour," with postcards through 2012.

Comment

• bigwavedave
                  Dave
                  • Oct 2006

I kind of like the Tarzan Treehouse, but nderstand the love of the original. Does anyone know what type of ticket was required for this?
                  Dave

Comment

• soundhound
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2007

Wow, this is SO WEIRD...In that picture of Big Thunder, the guy in the front seat is ME! What would be the chances of that???????

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by bigwavedave View Post
                      I kind of like the Tarzan Treehouse, but nderstand the love of the original. Does anyone know what type of ticket was required for this?
                      The Swiss Family Treehouse was a B Ticket.

Also I had no idea that Disneyland had a mule ride. Was that conidered a "B" attraction? Thanks Al for the photos, they were great!!
                      The Mule Pack thru Nature's Wonderland was a great experience -- an E-Ticket in the early 1970s.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                        Adventure First, Ad Last
                        • Mar 2006

Seeing those Astro Jets in the sky, man they need to move those back up there. They were an amazing ride probably my second favorite as opposed to their current local. Also I had no idea that Disneyland had a mule ride. Was that conidered a "B" attraction? Thanks Al for the photos, they were great!

I know a lot are opposed to bringing back old rides but I think most would make an exception for the Astro Jets!
                        I would they look better, would clear up traffic and are more fun where they used to be
                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Athlonacon
                          FastPass n00b
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Algernon View Post
                          Don't forget Skull Rock Cove and the Pirate Ship.

When I was a kid I absolutely loved Disneyland. Years later, my little niece and nephew really liked it. But they didn't love it like I did. I often wondered why. Looking at these pictures you can see why. It's not the same Disneyland. These pictures are from a much more beautiful, magical and fun Disneyland. I was lucky enough to have been there. It's a world many people today will never know.
                          Disneyland definitely had more heart and imagination back then, it was literally captivating to any child who was lucky enough to be going there. I totally agree, Disneyland today is a "fun" place, but it's not the magical kingdom it once was. Much of the charm has been stripped out and although a lot of it still remains, it's lost too much to retain it's pre-80's charm. They are still the best in terms of theme parks, and the new content is really something, but it will never be like it was. Very well stated!

Comment

• SpectroMan
                            • Jan 2005

With the attraction poster book about to come out, no better time to re-run those poster pics. Thanks, Al.
                            Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

• DisneyPhreak
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Jun 2010

Even though I grew up in California, in the Bay Area, I never had a chance to visit Disneyland as a child. It was just too expensive a trip for a family of seven. I first took my kids there in 1993 and for me, it was just magical. I don't think I stopped smiling as I walked around Disneyland for the first time, taking it all in. I have visited many times since then but there is just something special about the first time you get to go (and you're old enough to remember). Thanks for the wonderful photos Al.

Comment

• pattimarie
                                Zippity Doo Dah!
                                • Jun 2008

The astro jets were just such a perfect ride!!! I love heights, the trip up the elevator was exhilarating, as well as the trip in the jets. Even as an adult, I always felt really high above everything. It was great for getting pictures with the sky or the top of the castle or matterhorn in the background. I was never so disappointed as the day they took it down. The replacement jets suck, and created a pedestrian traffic issue to boot. I get no thrill out of being so close to the earth, and the ride is a lot like dumbo.

That being said, thanks for the beautiful pictures--many representing wonderful memories from my childhood. This is really the best way to celebrate 57 years of magic.

Comment

• 4th Gen Disney Fan
                                  MiceChatter

• May 2012

Great pics, Al! Thanks for posting them!
                                  "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Comment

• danyoung
                                    Super Old Guy
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Algernon View Post
                                    When I was a kid I absolutely loved Disneyland. Years later, my little niece and nephew really liked it. But they didn't love it like I did. I often wondered why. Looking at these pictures you can see why. It's not the same Disneyland.
                                    Sorry, but I don't buy this as the reason. Sure, there are some things from the past that I really miss, like Skull Rock or Adventure Through Inner Space or the Tomorrowland Jets up high on the pylon with the PeopleMover continually moving below it. But this is not the reason today's kids might not be as into the place as we were when we were wee ones. Back then, in a time of 3 major networks and no cable, there was much more need for imagination, and Disneyland was something that was completely unique and special. Today, with hundreds of TV stations available, with video games and computers and the internet, well, kids just aren't exercising their imaginations that much. And a place like Disneyland, whether it's mid-60's DL or 2012 DL, just doesn't hold the attention of today's post-MTV kids.

Comment

• darkamor
                                      Doombuggy Rider
                                      • May 2006

Awesome group of pictures (sigh, I notice a few gems I wish were still @ Disneyland) & this gives Team Anaheim 3 years to prepare for Disneyland's 60th ....

I really <3 the SHAG artwork for the 50th Anniversary (& I hope they team up with him again) ....

C J

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomorrowland.gif
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7344115
                                      sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X