X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7/31: A Tale of Two Parks

Originally posted by troyer View Post
    If criticisms of Disney Corporate greed trumping quality guest experience
    (or as Steve Jobs put it "Brand withdrawals trumping brand deposits")are no longer expressed on Miceage, then Miceage's stated purpose as being a "different look at Disney" becomes preposterous. Perhaps a new, more appropriate title for the site would be "Miceage-A Disney Corporate newsletter."
    I don't get the increasing vitriolic complaints about Al and also Disney.

Maybe there are less perceived complaints from Al is because Disney is fixing things. Yeah, that $1 Billion goes a long way.

As for Disney, if you don't like Disney's profit motive, there's nothing you can do about it. It is a for profit corporation that worked quite well for decades.

I really don't see how Al and Disney are in bed in any sense. Do you really think Al's coverage is so soft? I don't think so.

As for the Penny Arcade, Tomorrowland, and submarines, they are all declining parts of Disneyland that needs improvement. There's no need to beat this subject to death.

Comment

I've always enjoyed the quaint
      machines. I guess you disagree and prefer Disney generic candy displays over authentic antiques. Well to each his own.
      Ehh.. no - I prefer it when it used to be filled with actual penny game machines.

But that is long long gone. So when the latest rehab reorganized the candy story even more.. I wasn't screaming about the Penny Arcade. It's been a candy store first and foremost for a long time. The machines at that point had been reduced to simple decoration.
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Micechaters- lighten up. Al does a good job of presenting his view of what Disney is doing. For a long time Disney was mostly going in the wrong direction. Now that they have started to do some things right and Al acknowledges that, he gets attacked for being a corporate hack. At the end of the day it is Al's opinion, one that he has earned the right to present.
        Leonard
        "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Comment

Why are they getting rid of the subs and the Penny Arcade anyway?
          The subs are amazing and personally I love the old-timey atmosphere of the Penny Arcade. Yeah sure the Penny Arcade may not be a main attraction but it's another one of those fun little extras. It gives insight on an older side of Disney that newer generations don't know of. Why not continue to share old Disney history. I mean come on, it's not totally non-profit, if that's the whole "declining part of Disney" issue. Look at these other attractions, I don't recall having to pay to meet one of the Disney characters or pay to go on a ride. So money shouldn't even be the dilemma. And I agree with troyer in that it shouldn't solely be about the money, it should be about the guests; it's not like it'll be some sort of set back to guests... you go in, you look around-- hey you might even learn something-- and boom you just visited one of the attractions. Nobody is gonna leave saying they had a bad time so it's no disadvantage to the people.
          And the subs, well I'm not sure why they want to rid of that... I thought the subs were pretty popular.
          Overall I just think it's a shame they want to replace the subs and the Penny Arcade...
          Has nobody taken into consideration the opinions of Disneyland veterans, those who have loved and practically lived at Disneyland since childhood? For those who have been visiting Disneyland for pretty much their entire life, these "renovations" are like pulling up the planks from beneath their feet.
          If new attractions are soo desperately needed why not just make more space? I know, easier said that done, but Disneyland is a popular freakin place, and with such world wide popularity you know for darn sure there is plenty of dough coming in. Why not expand rather than demolish? Why must it be out with the old and in with the new?
          Please Al, keep the subs and the Penny Arcade!

Comment

Yes-the change was gradual(I believe deliberately)so folks-apparently like you-wouldn't notice or care
            No, we cared - we just cared YEARS ago and aren't harping on Al now for focusing on news from so long ago in his columns dedicated to new happening NOW.

Maybe you should he hounding him over the loss of Skull Rock.. he hasn't been giving that decent coverage either..

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Some posters on here seem to be ignoring this segment at the end of each and every article Al writes in regards to Disneyland updates:

Oh-kay
              Keep in mind updates only get posted when there is something to report on, and not before. It takes time to confirm things, and even then we can only offer a snapshot of a continually evolving story. (People do change their minds you know.) Just like the happiest place on earth, patience is a virtue; the queue may take a while before you can enjoy the attraction.

See you at Disneyland!

Comment

Why must it be out with the old and in with the new?
                It's been that way at Disneyland for much of it's history. This isn't a new issue.

---------- Post added 08-07-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

Yes-the change was gradual(I believe deliberately)so folks-apparently like you-wouldn't notice or care. The latest change though was far and away the most dramatic. And I guess if most people don't care about losing the Penny Arcade, then the change was a correct business move on the part of Disney. Obviously the Penny Arcade wasn't a money maker-no doubt just the opposite. But no attraction at Disneyland is a money maker. They are there to provide a quality guest experience. I intend to voice my complaint over the loss of the Penny Arcade at guest services. I hope others will follow suit. It would be easy for management to remove several candy displays and put the arcade machines in their place. So I believe there is a real chance the Penny Arcade would be significantly restored with enough of an outcry from those of us that love Disneyland. So I urge everyone to stop in at guest services the next time at Disneyland and make this suggestion.

How about just not buying candy at that particular location? If Disney is the god of greed that you say, that would hit them where they live and cause more of an upheavel than a forcefully worded, yet, ultimately, useless letter? Go to Marceline's in Downtown Disney instead. Much better candy there too!
                "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Comment

You know, I thought Al was being snarky regarding the service at the Carthay Circle Restaurant. But my wife and I ate there and it IS definitely noticeable. Our waiter did not go over the menu, like a waiter at a neighboring table did. We did not receive bread. Our water glasses were allowed to go to empty. Not things I expect at a 4 star restaurant.

My angus burger was tasty but the bun was a little dry and way too many onions. Glad we went but probably would not recommend for the price, etc.
                  Kevin Crossman
                  Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
                  Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

Comment

If Carthy Circle had better service, it would be a better meal. Perhaps Richard Franks from Lawry's the Prime Rib could be hired to provide education for current staff. I am sure Walt learned a lot that he knew of service to the guest during his many visits to that venue.

If Lawry's can train staff in Hong Kong that duplicated the experience had in Beverly Hills, I am sure they could work wonders in Anaheim.

The Penney Arcade has been winding itself down for decades. The problem lies with the maintenance of the machines. The companies that made those vendors are long gone, and the tools and parts are just not available. There is also a lack of skilled workers that can repair them. There is also the problem of safety of some of the machines. It would be impossible to build a machine that in effect shocks the user and get UL approval.

Sure money can solve the problem. A guy in Arizona refurbishes juke boxes that sold for $500 in the 1940's. Every serious player in the entertainment business has to have one. They sell for $75,000 today.

Comment

As a collector in the coin-op arena... you exaggerate the costs and issues at hand. The mechanical games of the era are actually easier to repair than modern equivalents. That's the beauty of mechanical games.. worst case is you have to fabricate some metal bits.. which can be done in a workshop, unlike replacing NLA electronic components, or molding plastics, or trying to replicate unknown code, etc. Their cost comes from their scarcity..

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Thank You for the update AL - its sad to see that Cast Member veterans are not treated properly by TDA or the Suit n Ties in Burbank (I wonder if a campaign by us Fans would persuade the Walt Disney Co to actually do something about this?) ...

I was hoping for more info about Tomorrowland, however, I'm guessing there isn't much else to share until TDA & Imagineers have more info to offer. I am definitely on break from the Disneyland Resort until the 60th Anniversary (2015), where I hope there won't be rides down for maintenance (& @ least 1 new E Ticket Ride) ....

C J
                        sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Were you at the anniversary CM dinner, Al? How do you know the food was that bad? Just like how you say the regular CM food is bad, which it isn't.

These are just a few reasons why I don't read your articles anymore.

Comment

Also from someone who actually ATTENDED the CM dinner. Lobster Tail, Shrimp and a large some of other delicious offerings does not sound like rubber chicken. Nice try though.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X