This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dustysage
    What about seeing a Disney store in Dream World? I wonder if it was all knock-off stuff or the real thing. The park actually looked quite beautiful for a Third World country. So interesting.

-The Dusty One
    The Disney Store inside the dream "Let's rip-off Disney badly" World was sooooo funny!
    Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

:monkey:

Comment

Originally posted by invader pearl
      (interestingly, he loves going to the beaches there, though never shows any interest to even see a beach Stateside).
      This is understandable, as most beaches in Thailand are more beautiful than the very best beaches in USA.
      Originally posted by riding_big_thunder
      The Disney Store inside the dream "Let's rip-off Disney badly" World was sooooo funny!
      Can you tell us more about what was funny when you were in the "Dream World Disney Store"? What about Dream World Bangkok itself, what did you think of the place when you visited?

When were you there?
      Last edited by BKK-Resident; 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKK-Resident
        I have been to Dream World Bangkok.

The major attraction of this park to the Thai attendees (who are 90% of the customers) is a section called Snow Town. It is huge, it has a sledding hill, ice sculptures, winter exhibits. It is the size of a football field, and is kept at about 10 degrees below freezing (you get winter coats and boots to wear as you go in).

It is a blast for Thai's to go here.

That article was accurate in what it describes, but he (conveniently) left out all the attractions that have nothing directly to do with Disney. This is understandable as I got the feeling her wanted the tone of the article to be condecending. If he wrote about the other things in the park (which are much more interesting), he wouldn't press the intended buttons for his intended audience.

I realize he was writing this for a Disney-loving audience, but to write about Dream World and not talk about Snow Town makes his "report" incredibly incomplete, in my opinion.
        I've been there when I was little and still live in Thailand. Very fine place. Fond memories
        My book on a comprehensive study of the Disneyland Railroad CK Holliday is now available at http://ckhollidayplans.com!

My DLRR CAD Download
        My CK Holliday Project

Comment

Great article! I have no desire to ever visit Thailand, so I won't ever go there but its neat to find out about this (and other) faux Disneyland parks out there. I had no idea!

Thanks also to those who posted links here to other faux Disneyland sites, I'm still going through them. They're a riot!

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyDoll
            I agree whole heartedly...I'm also amazed that Disney hasn't copywrighted the names of Fantasy Land, Adventure Land & Space Mountain. If they have, then " Dream World" is in BIG trouble.
            Well, there are other non-Disney Space Mountains. Tivoli Park in Rio de Janeiro had a coaster called Montanha Espacial, which translates to Space Mountain, which ran from 1980 until park closing in 1996. Divertido park in Mexico has a coaster called Space Mountain. And of course, Dream World. I think the reason that these parks gave their coasters this name to make people think their parks are Disney quality.

Comment

All I kept thinking while reading this piece was "Paging Disney Lawyers..."

It was a great read though!
              www.deliciousmayhem.net
              www.kidseatingpaste.com

Comment

Funny, but going to a theme park is about the last thing I think of when considering Thailand for a vacation.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDaddy
                  Funny, but going to a theme park is about the last thing I think of when considering Thailand for a vacation.
                  Of course you are correct, no one would come to Thailand in order to go to a theme park.

90% of the customers when I was there were Thai. I'd guess another 9% were Japanese (probably on a package tour). I did not see one other westerner (farang) there. I was with a Thai girl, she had a blast in Snow Town.

Comment

After reading that review of Nara Dreamland, it seems really creepy.

As you may or not know, I love abandoned places. They give me this feeling (not a fetish), that I can't get anywhere else, and am facinated with them. (Which may explain why I like Uru so much...)

I'd love to visit Nara, just to experience that feeling in person. However, since I have other travel plans on my mind, I guess I'll just have to get that personal creepy feeling at DCA.

Some more pics. It creeps me out even more, but I love it.
                    -Monorail Man

Comment

Check out the Translated Page
                      DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
                      DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                      DLR Tokyo - 2005
                      DLR Paris - 2011
                      DLR Hong Kong -2011
                      DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

Hi,

As a coaster enthusiast, I've heard about these places before. It's funny to see. But I don't think it's such a big deal. It's not as if Disney never copied anything themselves...

Isn't DCA's Sunwheel based on the historical Coney Island Wonder Wheel?

Aren't the DCA flying machines ( whatever they're called ) copied from the classic Blackpool Pleasure Beach ride?

Isn't the Indiana Jones coaster at Disneyland Paris an alsmot exact replica of a similar ride at a Danish park, plus some theming?

Wasn't the concept of Disneyland partly based on Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen?

etc.
                        Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

But Thriller, I think it IS a big deal.... because I want to go there and see this for myself ! I think it would be brilliant to take lots of pics and put up a trip report page with side-by-sides of the two.

I think it's great that Disney have let them continue, and that they can bring a little 'disney magic' to the thousands of Japanese who can't afford to go overseas. I'd love it if there was a similar park in Australia !

PS: Do you have any more info on the 'indiana jones' ride in Denmark ?? I'm curious now !
                          DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                          DLR Tokyo - 2005
                          DLR Paris - 2011
                          DLR Hong Kong -2011
                          DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

Yep, information is on RCDB:

http://www.rcdb.com/id1051.htm

The layout is pretty much the same ( except for statistics ), and of course the themig is "a bit" better in Paris

This ride in Denmark was made by the Italian company Pinfari, but Indy in Paris was made by Intamin. However, the layouts are too much alike to think there is not some connection
                            Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

Wow ! That's almost identical to a travelling Schwartzkopf looper that used to tour the Royal Easter Show (Our version of a State Fair) here in Sydney !! It was the first looping coaster I ever rode !

It was also one of the shortest rides I ever went on !
                              DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                              DLR Tokyo - 2005
                              DLR Paris - 2011
                              DLR Hong Kong -2011
                              DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

A Schwarzkopf looper in Australia...never heard of that! Also never heard of one that has a layout similar to this one. Are you sure it's Schwarzkopf? do you have any pictures or any other info? for the record, Schwarzkopf ( along with Intamin ) is my favorite coaster manufacturer. Love his insane loops! :bow:
                                Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

It was definitely a Schwartzkopf- it was not much to speak of once you had done the single loop (not like the yummy ones at oktoberfest) but a fun ride nevertheless. It travelled for about 5 years, then I never saw it again. I don't think it's still touring I never got any pictures, unfortunately, but I remember it had water tanks (AKA: above-ground backyard swimming pools) to anchor the structure located in the turns either end. The track went up at the back of the coaster, turned at the top, did one run (from Right to left as you looked at the front of the coaster) and then came diving down into the loop (such a small loop it was a wonder it didn't snap necks) right at the front of the ride where everyone could get a good look, then a few helixes either end - it was almost like a 'Galaxy' coaster with a loop in it. The carriages were two cars long, much the same as a Galaxy, but it had OTS restraints fitted and higher headrests as a result. I think it was toured by either Wittingslows Amusements or Durkin. Needless to say, I rode it as much as my (poor) allowance would stretch.
                                  DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                                  DLR Tokyo - 2005
                                  DLR Paris - 2011
                                  DLR Hong Kong -2011
                                  DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

Hmm, interesting! Always love hearing about non-familiar coasters!

Edit: Any chance it was one of the Silberpfeil models? http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/OKsilberpfeilGF.htm

Or did it not have the familiar Schwarzkopf 3-pipe track?

Oh, by the way, I have a onride video of the Denmark Pinfari ride, for anyone interested ( email me )
                                    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

Confused now....

Well, it didn't look like that one, so I'm not sure if it was a Schwartzkopf now - it definitely had pools to anchor it. :confused:

Flicking through the catalogue DID bring back fond memories though, because Luna Park Sydney once had a "Wildcat" and then later they got a "Jst Star III" Which they called the 'Super Jet' coaster. It had incredible g-forces in the front turns ! I loved how the lift hill was a spiral.
                                      DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                                      DLR Tokyo - 2005
                                      DLR Paris - 2011
                                      DLR Hong Kong -2011
                                      DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

Argh, don't talk about Jet Stars! I've always wanted to ride one, those ground-hugging turns after the first drop look simply amazing! Fact is that whenever I intend to visit a rare park with a jetstar, they're announcing they're removing it! Perhaps, someday I'll be lucky. I'll probably have to go to Finland for that now though
                                        Ad luna in flamma gloria

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X