This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/27: Ready Yeti? Expedition Everest

Kevin Reviews the New Walt Disney World Attraction, Lots of Photos and Spoilers. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 1/27: Ready Yeti? Expedition Everest

I'll be riding it tomorrow! I can't wait! :yea:

Comment

Kevin,

Great review of EE! I love the pictures. I think your review was the first one I have read to talk about the AA bird of prey on the ride.

Nice shots of you-know-who. Does he have a name, yet?

GC

Comment

From the looks of the photos, more than the begining of this coaster resembles a terrain coaster. the photos from the ride after the second hill looks alot more like a real train track than I thought it would.

And that second photo of the yetti is FANTASTIC! How is the Yetti located? is he above or on the left or right or what?

Can't wait to take the trip to Florida to ride.
        St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

This photo review made me feel like I was actually there.

Comment

Great review. Makes it seem like we are right there. Can't wait to go. Thanks.
            May the force be with you, always.

Comment

Nice crisp photos. What's your camera?
              I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me. -- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

To answer a few questions all at once:

The yeti does not yet have a nickname that I know of.
                The yeti is located to the right side of the coaster, and towers way over us. He's big! We see him from far away and zoom right toward (and past) him.

My camera is a point and click: a Canon G2, and somewhat old by now. I hope to have a Rebel XT soon, and maybe a Canon S2 also. It's time to upgrade.
                Kevin Yee
                MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                Mouse Trap
                Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee
                  To answer a few questions all at once:

My camera is a point and click: a Canon G2, and somewhat old by now. I hope to have a Rebel XT soon, and maybe a Canon S2 also. It's time to upgrade.

Great pictures and review... I only made it about 1/2 way through it. (Didn't want to spoil the whole ride). The rest will have to wait until I go down there next.

The Rebel XT's are nice. I've had one for almost a year now. Just make sure you're familiar with SLR cameras as the 'automatic' settings on that camera probably won't suit your needs. However the manuals will (fortunately you can play around a lot). Oh... yeah, one other thing you might want to note. Forgive me if you knew this - but most people aren't aware that with an SLR camera shots can only be composed through the viewfinder. The LCD on back only displays pictures that have been taken. (It looks like you do a bunch of the shots holding the camera about your head).

Comment

When does this "officially" open? And have they started soft opening it yet?

thomas
                    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Comment

Yeah, the shots above the head, and taken at weird angles, is why I want an S2 also. It has a 10x optical zoom! In fact, I may be likely to use the S2 more often than the SLR. I'm just geeky enough to cart around both cameras, actually.
                      Kevin Yee
                      MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                      Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                      Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                      Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                      Mouse Trap
                      Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                      101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                      Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Kevin,
                        Thank you for the comprehensive review of Everest! I really enjoyed the shots of the queues. It seems like the detailed queue is not a thing of the past in the age of Fastpass. I'm glad to see this level of detail in the ride and queue.

While I completely disagree on the issue of "Realism" at Animal Kingdom, I do understand your point of view. For me, the draw of Animal Kingdom's realism is that it makes such exotic locals obtainable to the masses. They have been cleaned up and stylized far more than you let on. From my time in India and Tibet, I can tell you that while the buildings may have the same look as the ones at AK, there are far more shacks, tents, animals, dirt, dust, burning trash, starving children, and junk piled up everywhere in the real locals. So, to me, the Asian sections of AK look like a beautiful cleaned up version of the actual locations.

In any case, your review and photos confirm that AK is finally on the track to having the number of major rides and attractions which might actually pull in a full day visitor. Let's hope that they finally remove the place holder land of Camp Minnie Mickey and build a Beastly Kingdom (or equivalent) land which would contain the fantasy/stylized rides and attractions which the rest of the park lacks.

-Dusty
                        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                        Save

Comment

These pictures are fantastic, it's not easy taking steady shots when you're being whipped around on a rollercoaster. I especially liked the shots of the Yeti because the videos don't show it at all, save for a slight movement of a blur.

One thing I always appreciate about Kevin's reviews is that he never gives Disney the benefit of the doubt, each and every ride has to earn its reputation. A lot of people think that just because it's "Disney" the ride is so creative and original, but Kevin is one of the few people who actually steps back and judges the ride based in TRUE Disney fashion, not just what Disney has done in the past 20 years.

The ride looks *incredibly* fun, with lots of great drops and helixes and nice scenery. But I'm not sure if it's not too fragmented and short. I mean, where does that "temple" fit into the story of the ride? Suddenly you're inside a loud temple filled with pictures and cloths and then outside again? And the track seems ripped apart before the Yeti even rips it apart. And why does the train stop for an entire few seconds to view the first ripped apart track outside? It seems that gravity would pull down a normal train (like the theming and story want you to believe it is) instantly. One problem with the ultra-realism, which Kevin talked about, is that you simply can't stick strictly to reality when you're designing a ride. At some point you have to make concessions in order to show the riders what you want them to see. It's better to have an enhanced reality, again like Kevin mentioned, because then the riders have a bit more suspension of disbelief. When you're going for all-out realism, stopping a train on an incline, adding a random temple and having the track torn up before it shows the Yeti tearing it up just throws that out the window. The ride also lasts around 2 minutes which is short, even for a rollercoaster. It should've had some kind of very slow story/exposition point then turned into a rollercoaster. Much like a lot of modern Disney attractions, it's a lot of "Look What We Can Do" effects crammed into a ride whether it fits or not.

Walt Disney would take a modern-day effect or technology and turn it on its head. He was never satisfied with just *using* top-of-the-line technology, he wanted to use it in ways that had never been done before. This ride looks VERY fun and hi-tech, but it doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done before. Not up to Walt Disney standards, but in any other non-Disney park this ride would be one of the most incredible rides around.

By the way, the sillhouette of the Yeti is quite cartoonish when it's moving...the movement looks like a cartoon character in a TV commercial. For such a realistic beast, it sure does move a lot like Bugs Bunny.
                          Last edited by Athlonacon; 01-27-2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I think it wouldn't hurt AK to include more fantasy themes rides like this one. An encounter with an AA dragon that they had promised earlier would be a nice addition.

Comment

Since I'll probably never experience EE myself, I read every word of your six pages and thoroughly enjoyed the pics.

Great job and good writing, Kevin!
                              "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X