This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed the Birds wins here too.

Sue, I just saw Dirty Rotten here in NYC...was very disappointed in what could have been an incredible show. The cast was uniformly wonderful (though I wasn't overly impressed by Norbert) and the score witty and tuneful, but the book was dreadful. Lots of cheap sitcom sex jokes (which makes sense, since the writer has never done stage work, only sitcom writing). The set was sparse...the whole evening had stellar segments, but never added up to much. I think expanding the story from the film hurt it...Jbara and Gleason were great, but totally unnecessary.

Sara Gettelfinger's Oklahoma! number was indeed a showstopper. What a knockout she is.

It took almost a half hour to get going, and the awesome songs (Great Big Stuff, Love Is My Legs, Oklahoma) were too few and far between. I was so looking forward to it, and pretty bummed afterward.

How was it at the Old Globe?

Comment

Originally posted by Goin2Disneyland
      Feed the Birds wins here too.

Sue, I just saw Dirty Rotten here in NYC...was very disappointed in what could have been an incredible show. The cast was uniformly wonderful (though I wasn't overly impressed by Norbert) and the score witty and tuneful, but the book was dreadful. Lots of cheap sitcom sex jokes (which makes sense, since the writer has never done stage work, only sitcom writing). The set was sparse...the whole evening had stellar segments, but never added up to much. I think expanding the story from the film hurt it...Jbara and Gleason were great, but totally unnecessary.

Sara Gettelfinger's Oklahoma! number was indeed a showstopper. What a knockout she is.

It took almost a half hour to get going, and the awesome songs (Great Big Stuff, Love Is My Legs, Oklahoma) were too few and far between. I was so looking forward to it, and pretty bummed afterward.

How was it at the Old Globe?

From what I've been hearing, there are two camps on this one, you either really like it or really think it stinks. I'm in the "like it" camp despite the show's flaws.

In San Diego, it had lots of stuff I thought needed to be fixed but I still had a fun time. I talked to Gregory Jbara after the show and he told me that there were changes coming for NY so I hoped the show was going to tighten up a bit and fix all the things that were wrong.

To me, a lot of the music was way too reminiscent of the Full Monty score (for example, Great Big Stuff even though I really like that song) and like you, I thought the Joanna Gleason/Gregory Jbara storyline could be done away with ... it seemed a bit forced and superfluous. And Joanna Gleason was awful the day I saw the show, which didn't help it. I kept wondering if she was sick.

I really didn't mind the cheap jokes (which to me were in character with the character of the show), except "The Bushes of Tex were nervous wrecks because their son was dim." While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, it just seemed a bit too cheap and brought the real world into the cheesy show world which was unnecessary. Is that line still in the show? I don't know how that plays in NY, but it got a HUGE laugh the day I saw it in San Diego.

Despite all that, I still really enjoyed the show and had a great time. And for me, the Ruprecht number and Sara Gettlefinger's Oklahoma number (When is she officially going to be a star? She was a bright spot in the dreary Suessical and loved her in Nine) made it worth seeing. Anyway, I see it next month so I'll have a better handle on the comparison to San Diego then.

Comment

Oh the Bush joke stopped the show with laughter, screams and applause. I thought it was cheap and useless as well.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions when you see it here.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X