X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goin2Disneyland
    replied
    Oh the Bush joke stopped the show with laughter, screams and applause. I thought it was cheap and useless as well.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions when you see it here.

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Goin2Disneyland
    Feed the Birds wins here too.

Sue, I just saw Dirty Rotten here in NYC...was very disappointed in what could have been an incredible show. The cast was uniformly wonderful (though I wasn't overly impressed by Norbert) and the score witty and tuneful, but the book was dreadful. Lots of cheap sitcom sex jokes (which makes sense, since the writer has never done stage work, only sitcom writing). The set was sparse...the whole evening had stellar segments, but never added up to much. I think expanding the story from the film hurt it...Jbara and Gleason were great, but totally unnecessary.

Sara Gettelfinger's Oklahoma! number was indeed a showstopper. What a knockout she is.

It took almost a half hour to get going, and the awesome songs (Great Big Stuff, Love Is My Legs, Oklahoma) were too few and far between. I was so looking forward to it, and pretty bummed afterward.

How was it at the Old Globe?

From what I've been hearing, there are two camps on this one, you either really like it or really think it stinks. I'm in the "like it" camp despite the show's flaws.

In San Diego, it had lots of stuff I thought needed to be fixed but I still had a fun time. I talked to Gregory Jbara after the show and he told me that there were changes coming for NY so I hoped the show was going to tighten up a bit and fix all the things that were wrong.

To me, a lot of the music was way too reminiscent of the Full Monty score (for example, Great Big Stuff even though I really like that song) and like you, I thought the Joanna Gleason/Gregory Jbara storyline could be done away with ... it seemed a bit forced and superfluous. And Joanna Gleason was awful the day I saw the show, which didn't help it. I kept wondering if she was sick.

I really didn't mind the cheap jokes (which to me were in character with the character of the show), except "The Bushes of Tex were nervous wrecks because their son was dim." While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, it just seemed a bit too cheap and brought the real world into the cheesy show world which was unnecessary. Is that line still in the show? I don't know how that plays in NY, but it got a HUGE laugh the day I saw it in San Diego.

Despite all that, I still really enjoyed the show and had a great time. And for me, the Ruprecht number and Sara Gettlefinger's Oklahoma number (When is she officially going to be a star? She was a bright spot in the dreary Suessical and loved her in Nine) made it worth seeing. Anyway, I see it next month so I'll have a better handle on the comparison to San Diego then.

Leave a comment:

• Goin2Disneyland
    replied
    Feed the Birds wins here too.

Sue, I just saw Dirty Rotten here in NYC...was very disappointed in what could have been an incredible show. The cast was uniformly wonderful (though I wasn't overly impressed by Norbert) and the score witty and tuneful, but the book was dreadful. Lots of cheap sitcom sex jokes (which makes sense, since the writer has never done stage work, only sitcom writing). The set was sparse...the whole evening had stellar segments, but never added up to much. I think expanding the story from the film hurt it...Jbara and Gleason were great, but totally unnecessary.

Sara Gettelfinger's Oklahoma! number was indeed a showstopper. What a knockout she is.

It took almost a half hour to get going, and the awesome songs (Great Big Stuff, Love Is My Legs, Oklahoma) were too few and far between. I was so looking forward to it, and pretty bummed afterward.

How was it at the Old Globe?

Leave a comment:

• Alchimedes
    replied
    Boy I love the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!! Well I hope that is soon!!

"Ruprecht do I have to get the ******* cuff!!!"

Leave a comment:

• quasimodo1384
    replied
    ...I feel like I killed the conversation... so, what's everyone's favorite Mary Poppins song?...My vote goes to "Feed the Birds."

Leave a comment:

• quasimodo1384
    replied
    That's sounds cool, different, but yeah I'd have to see it first. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Dustysage
    replied
    I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Goin2Disneyland
    replied
    They aren't. Jolly Holiday, like many songs in the show, has been set in a different way than it was in the film. The song takes place in a park where the sculptures come to life and dance with Mary, Bert, Jane and Michael.

I, for one, am skeptical. But I've heard it works, so whatever.

Leave a comment:

• quasimodo1384
    replied
    Any Idea how they're doing the Carousel seen in Mary Poppins?

Leave a comment:

• Goin2Disneyland
    replied
    I just hope that in Mermaid they use little plastic models of the characters and stunt doubles of differing ethnicities than their counterparts and that whenever they say a line they face the audience no matter what and that the show is every bit as good as Aladdin.

*groan*

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Goin2Disneyland
    At any rate, just wanted to chime in with the disheartening news that although Little Mermaid is planned to open on Broadway in the 2007-08 season, Matthew Bourne has long since left the project. The new director is...
    Like I said in the beginning, I'm not exactly up on my Disney show news, so I didn't know this and I'm sorry to hear it. It's too bad because Matthew Bourne does some interesting stuff. I would have loved to have seen what he would do with Little Mermaid.

Francesca Zambello, the woman behind that ghastly Aladdin show.
    UGH!!!! That's horrid news. The Aladdin show direction is, let's see what's a nice word I can use on a Disney board, awfull? Oh let's not be nice, the direction on that show just sucks.

Not sure where Tarzan is on the WDT burner, but it's being written and has all ready been workshopped with Adam Pascal, Matthew Morrison and Laura Bell Bundy.
    I don't really have an opinion on Adam Pascal, but I truly enjoyed Matthew Morrison and Laura Bell Bundy when I saw them in Hairspray, if they're in the final version, could be fun.

Disney is also developing a musical based on the hysterical documentary Spellbound.
    Sounds interesting, thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• Goin2Disneyland
    replied
    I too miss your columns Sue!

At any rate, just wanted to chime in with the disheartening news that although Little Mermaid is planned to open on Broadway in the 2007-08 season, Matthew Bourne has long since left the project. The new director is...

Francesca Zambello, the woman behind that ghastly Aladdin show.

Not sure where Tarzan is on the WDT burner, but it's being written and has all ready been workshopped with Adam Pascal, Matthew Morrison and Laura Bell Bundy.

Disney is also developing a musical based on the hysterical documentary Spellbound.

Leave a comment:

• lashbear
    replied
    Originally posted by Sue Kruse
    Oh and our very own Dusty Sage is probably going to get over to London and see Mary before I do, so maybe he will be able to give us a little trip report. Would that be grand?
    Hear, Hear !!!!

...Jolly Hockeysticks, what !

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
    Any news on if they'll put Aladdin on Broadway?...and not the DCA version I mean. They seem to have a good streak with the Disney Broadway musicals. Beauty and the Beast was wonderful..and Lion King was pretty decent as well. But I hope they don't go overboard and stray too far from the original music scores.
    You know initially, when Aladdin opened at DCA, I was told that Anne Hamburger had high hopes to bring that show to Broadway just as Disney had with the Beauty and the Beast show that ran at Disneyland way back when. I was a huge fan of the Disneyland Beauty and the Beast show and the Broadway version is basically the same show, just greatly expanded and infused with lots of cash, very entertaining. Aladdin though just isn't as good a show and I doubt it would hold up to Broadway standards without tons of rewrites and completely new direction (can you tell I'm not at all a fan? )

Somewhere along the way I think the goal to take the DCA version on to Broadway vanished because I haven't heard anything about taking Aladdin (the DCA version or otherwise) to Broadway for quite a while now. The current focus (now that Mary Poppins has taken flight in London) seems to be on Little Mermaid and with Matthew Bourne involved, it should at the very least, be an interesting show.

Oh and our very own Dusty Sage is probably going to get over to London and see Mary before I do, so maybe he will be able to give us a little trip report. Would that be grand?

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by lashbear
    HI Sue ! Again - I'm in awe being able to talk to these people whom I've read for years !!
    Lashbear, I've been reading what you've had to say too. Although I'm mostly a lurker, I have always enjoyed your posts on the various boards I lurk around in.

Are they planning to bring Mary Poppins dowunder in the future ?? I'd love to see it - but the Lion King is still playing here !
    I haven't heard anything concrete about plans for Mary Poppins but I'm sure that once they bring it to the States and it's a success, there will surely be touring companies just as there have been for Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Aida.

(PS: My Sister in law does the costumes for Loin King here....)
    That has to be the coolest job ever!

Leave a comment:

• Cuzco-topia
    replied
    Any news on if they'll put Aladdin on Broadway?...and not the DCA version I mean. They seem to have a good streak with the Disney Broadway musicals. Beauty and the Beast was wonderful..and Lion King was pretty decent as well. But I hope they don't go overboard and stray too far from the original music scores.

Leave a comment:

• lashbear
    replied
    HI Sue ! Again - I'm in awe being able to talk to these people whom I've read for years !!

Are they planning to bring Mary Poppins dowunder in the future ?? I'd love to see it - but the Lion King is still playing here !

(PS: My Sister in law does the costumes for Loin King here....)

Cheers,
    Rob.

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Dustysage
    Thanks a million Sue. I had no idea that they were making a musical out of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Tres cool. Is it the kind of show that you want the cast recording of so you can listen to it in the car, or just funny and fun to watch in the theatre?

By the way, I miss seeing you on Miceage, do you have any columns in the works?
    I wanted the cast recording the minute I walked out of the theatre. It's done by the same guy who did the music for The Full Monty so it's very catchy and the lyrics are not only funny, but terribly clever ... like rhyming Oklahoma with melanoma (which is apparently the leading cause of death in Oklahoma according to the song). There are more than a couple of songs that I will be playing incessantly as soon as there actually is a cast album.

You're a doll to mention that you miss seeing me on Miceage. There hasn't been a whole lot going on for me to write about lately, however I've got a few things I'm working on so probably in the not too distant future I'll be there with something for you all to read again.

Leave a comment:

• Sue Kruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Slaakker
    Just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your articles.

Thank you.
    Thanks so much Slaakker, that's so nice of you!

Leave a comment:

• Dustysage
    replied
    Thanks a million Sue. I had no idea that they were making a musical out of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Tres cool. Is it the kind of show that you want the cast recording of so you can listen to it in the car, or just funny and fun to watch in the theatre?

By the way, I miss seeing you on Miceage, do you have any columns in the works?

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X