This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dustysage
    Thank you as always Mr. Al. However, I'm just a bit sad that we won't see the Motorboats return for the 50th. Filling that area in with dirt just doesn't sound right. Unless, of course, we get Fire Mountain or some such E-Ticket attraction in the bargain.

I'm with you, Dustysage -- that area is so beautiful and great, I hate to see it filled up with dirt. I hope that whatever takes the motorboat cruise's place is the Most Amazing Attraction Ever.

It's hard not to be excited about the prospect of a new, possibly E-ticket ride, though. My imagination wanders.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Jr.
      yeah me too. I love those updates!

Also I really am pleased to hear that they are going to do something with the valuable real estate which was the former Motorboat Cruise. This is a fairly large area and instead of another E-ticket/thrill ride, I'd love to see Matt & Co. put in another big time D-ticket like Pirates in there. A high capacity dark ride maybe the Aladdin ride from Tokyo Sea's but using the characters from the movie Aladdin? Or a similar ride using Fantasia as the theme? In any case, I'd like something I can take my ENTIRE family on that doesn't have height restrictions. I for one am done with the height restrictions on Disney attractions. I'm not convinced Walt would dig them either.

I was looking over pictures from 20 years ago in Disneyland and one thing I noticed is that there were a lot more elderly people there back then. Nowadays you really don't see grandma and grandpa there with the family and I think that's really sad. It seems that EVERY single new E-ticket is a thrill ride with a height restriction which is really sad considering that older E-tickets are not thrill rides in the traditional sense and still offer entertainment to everyone, whether they're 1 or 100 years old. I think when we think "family" today, we tend to leave out the senior population which is a shame because these people are grandmas and grandpas who create memories for little kids and families. I really think that these new thrill-ride attractions in Disneyland need to be kept out all together. It's not like Disneyland has to compete with Magic Mountain and even Knott's is losing its family appeal so there is no reason Disneyland should be putting thrill rides in. I know this is a VERY unpopular opinion around here, but I don't like the Indiana Jones ride at all. It's so loud and so jerky that I can't enjoy the ride, and the effects have no continuity or transition switching from a shaky bridge to a snake room and such. I know Pirates is like this too, but at least the ride goes so slow that the transition is very gradual, in Indy, everything happens so quickly that you're in another room before you even absorb the previous one. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I just don't feel Indy has any place in a Disney park. If they turned down the blaring sound, slowed down the ride and didn't jerk you until you've got a headache, I really think it would be a fabulous ride for everyone. Don't get me wrong, the theming is beyond any other park, Disney or not, but what good is a theme when you blow through it in 3 minutes while getting jostled around and blasted out by loud sounds. The queue seems to be the best part as you get a chance to observe and admire it at a much more leisurely pace.

Anyway, getting back to the Motorboat Cruise, I feel that filling in the area is a big mistake and hopefully they will redeem their misstep with something other than another Pixar ride. If they don't fit a huge D- or E-ticket ride in this area with all its beautiful scenery, I'd truthfully rather it remained a serene lagoon filled with memories. I'm curious to see if the new attraction lives up to necessitating destroying a classic area. It's not like it's costing anyone anything sitting there unused, so it's definitely not an issue of cost like the Subs or Rocket Rods. Because of that reason, I have the feeling Matt has something special planned, otherwise, why would he mess with a beautiful cost-free section of the park.
      Athlonacon
      FastPass n00b
      Last edited by Athlonacon; 04-05-2005, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Pirate Wench
        Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-27-2005, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Athlonacon - I don't want to flame you for expressing your opinion, and I agree with a lot of what you say. I don't think that DL should become a thrill park rather than a theme park, but I realize that they probably do need a few thrill rides to appeal to some of the teenagers and young adults who might otherwise head toward Knotts or Magic Mtn. As for Indy in particular, the ride is as loud as it is in order to cover the sounds of the ride operating. This is much of the reason that even the FL dark rides are louder than some people would like.

As for leaving the Motorboat Cruise area sitting as an unused lagoon, it DOES cost Disney. Not only does it cost to maintain the water and the foliage, but it costs them the revenue brought in by having a running attraction. I would love to see the motorboats come back as much as everyone else, but if they can't or won't, then I prefer to see this area utilized for a new family-friendly E-Ticket rather than sitting fallow like most of TL was when I last visited in '03.
          DizDragon
          I lurk, therefore I am.
          Last edited by DizDragon; 04-05-2005, 01:57 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Athlonacon
            I think when we think "family" today, we tend to leave out the senior population which is a shame because these people are grandmas and grandpas who create memories for little kids and families. I really think that these new thrill-ride attractions in Disneyland need to be kept out all together. I know this is a VERY unpopular opinion around here, but I don't like the Indiana Jones ride at all. It's so loud and so jerky that I can't enjoy the ride, and the effects have no continuity or transition switching from a shaky bridge to a snake room and such.
            I have invited my grandparents to come with us this year, they do not want to go. We have no kids for them to sit, they don't want to walk around all day, nor do they want to wait in lines.....basically they would not have any fun. Old people don't like being out in the sun all day anymore, they are all medicated and just want a chair and their tv.

As far as thrills go, and not that I still wouldn't come if they weren't there, I think every park needs diversity. I have seen kids as young as 8 on Indy, and adults in their 60's, so that means a 50 year age spread of people who like that ride. And if you don't like Indy, then don't ride it. Some people can handle loud and bumpy, I think that ride is awesome. When we all complain about getting clones, isn't that the most original ride we have next to the Matterhorn?? Anyhoo......
            sigpic
            Elsa's and Anna's
            Disneyland Dec 2014

Comment

Another great column. Thanks, Al.

-Reagan

Comment

Thanks Al- also thanks to Evil Minion for the fantastic pictures- the ones of MIckey on the Matterhorn are my favorites!

We really are in for the home stretch aren't we! It's going to be difficult to keep up with the boards once they roll out everything for the 50th. I am definitely lokoing forward to updates once they start testing the fireworks
                Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                Help support the site you love:
                -Visit the MiceChat store
                Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Great column Al. One part disturbs me:

That attraction was closed for several months, mainly to accommodate a new fleet of logs that give back the seventh seat that was taken away a few years ago when the Legal department insisted the logs be redesigned to avoid people from sliding forward on the bench seats down the drops.
                  If this is the reason they were changed, the Legal department needs a physics lesson. After the training, any lawyer not willing to return to the original log design will be asked to "safely" disembark from a falling helicopter at the ground like the Pink Panther does. Perhaps they could use the jumping jellyfish at DCA (if they were willing to sacrifice the jellyfish ... oh wait, they could charge the estate of the dead lawyer to replace the jellyfish, like the ChiComs charge the next of kin of executed prisoners for the bullet) .....
                  "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                  - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Thanks, Al!

Originally posted by pussnboots
                    I sometimes go through the MousePlanet archives to relive those articles, Cousin O.
                    Ouch. Those photographs are a woeful stroll down an ODV-infested memory lane. *orchestra of strings*

The park is really shaping up nicely!
                    :captain: double the powder and shorten the fuse?

Comment

THANK YOU AL for all of your hard work and thank you ISSAC too. I love you all for keeping me so updated all the way out here in Minnesota.

Comment

Great update Al! Those pics are great.

I allso really hope that they turn the motor boat attraction into somthing new, instead of just fill it with dirt and make a park. That part of DL neads all the people consuming power it can.
                        Other places you can find me:

Digg
                        Steam

Comment

A great report & I too am a little sad when I see the "oh-kay".
                          A new "original" ride would be great to replace the motorboats. Not something taken from another park but something only Disneyland has. After all, it is the original & the rides in it should reflect that.
                          I really look forward to your updates as we get closer to the big day! Thanks so much for all your work (or is it really work having to visit DL to keep us informed )
                          MZ DSNY

Comment

Thanks Al, another great update. Man I cant wait to get out there. I'm only about 40 minutes away, so I cant wait

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfreeek
                              I have invited my grandparents to come with us this year, they do not want to go. We have no kids for them to sit, they don't want to walk around all day, nor do they want to wait in lines.....basically they would not have any fun. Old people don't like being out in the sun all day anymore, they are all medicated and just want a chair and their tv.

As far as thrills go, and not that I still wouldn't come if they weren't there, I think every park needs diversity. I have seen kids as young as 8 on Indy, and adults in their 60's, so that means a 50 year age spread of people who like that ride. And if you don't like Indy, then don't ride it. Some people can handle loud and bumpy, I think that ride is awesome. When we all complain about getting clones, isn't that the most original ride we have next to the Matterhorn?? Anyhoo......
                              You see plenty of older folks at WDW, where it is not only hot but oppressively humid, so your premise is flawed.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent update! So I guess they really are turning the subs into a Nemo theme....It'll be an odd feeling sitting the subs again and looking out and instead of the mermaids and sea monster, Nemo and Dory will be in its place. I sure will miss it! But I have hopes for the future that it'll a good ride once it opens again!

Originally posted by disneyfreeek
                                No true at all! I've seen a lot of seniors enjoying themselves around the DL parks. My own grandparents have always absolutely loved our family trips to the park and sometimes I think they have a lot more energy than me (and I'm only 20)! There are many seniors whose worst fear IS to be medicated and sit in a chair all day...trust me, I volunteered at a wonderful senior home where Bingo becomes quite an exuberant game! And if the grandparents do get tired during the day, they could always head back to the nearby hotel or relax in Downtown Disney. I know my grandparents would hate to be watching TV all day and much rather go out and teach their grandchildren how to swing dance right smack in the middle of New Orleans or think of other ways to embarass me! (oy!) You're never too old or too young for Disneyland!
                                "Just remember the month of May followed by a nerd."

Comment

Originally posted by pussnboots
                                  I sometimes go through the MousePlanet archives to relive those articles, Cousin O.

Let's reminisce... *cue sentimental music*

Good times.

Aaah the Pressler days. Thank god they're GONE! Please Matt, Greg-don't EVER let it get like this again!

By the way, did the carousel use to be THAT ugly??

Comment

Those attendances were higher than the average day during the Christmas season in the past several years, but thanks to the reduction in Fastpass offerings and the dramatic increase in overall Park capacity in the last year, they never had to close the turnstiles to anyone. They did stop selling one-day Disneyland tickets to people walking up to the ticket booths for a few hours some afternoons, but the infamous closing of the turnstiles that we'd seen in recent years with even smaller attendance figures never played itself out.

And while inside the parks there were long lines for everything, and every location seemed to be stretched to its limit, there was a civility and ease of operation that Disneyland hasn't had on extremely busy days in years and years. Walkways kept moving for the most part, gridlock and flaring tempers were mostly avoided, and lines kept shuffling along at a steady clip.
                                    Then it wasn't just me who thought it didn't seem that busy as far as crowded walkways go. I was there on both Fridays of the Spring Break weeks and both times, there were long wait times for rides and extended queues being used, but never did it really feel that crowded in the walkways. Thank you Matt Ouimet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm a bit sad about the removal of the motor boat lake area, as I've found that area to be one of the charming, quiet corners of the park (too bad the smoking area is nearby).

That said, I'm hopeful about something great -- and original -- in it's place. No playgrounds here, please.
                                      Kevin Crossman
                                      Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
                                      Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

Comment

I'm disappointed in the loss of the entire area of the Motor boat area.
                                        I look forward to seeing something new in this area, it will spread people out for the coming future of growth in California and the busy times of year.
                                        The future looks bright.
                                        Thanks for the update Mr Lutz.
                                        1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

"The submarine project won't touch any of the land once occupied by the Motorboat Cruise, but that large chunk of Fantasyland is now being looked at as the next expansion area for 2008 or beyond. "

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

"While originally Cynthia Harriss had asked Imagineering (WDI) to come up with a kiddy playland concept for that area, those plans are in limbo as Matt Ouimet's Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) dreams up bolder ideas."

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Im starting to like this "Matt" guy!! He may just bring the wonder back into DL!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X